dale0404

New terrain reveal - Tanoa

Content in general is lacking severely in Arma 3 and given a choice for vastly more military content or civilian content I would prefer the military vehicles, boats, guns and artillery over a jetski and a prop plane.

I'm pretty sure BI has the manpower to provide us with plenty of both types of content, military and civilian. Not to mention that there hasn't been a repeat of 2012, so there shouldn't be a lack of assets on release this time around.

I'm pretty sure BI has the manpower to provide us with plenty of both types of content, military and civilian. Not to mention that there hasn't been a repeat of 2012, so there shouldn't be a lack of assets on release this time around.

Repeat of 2012 ?

Repeat of 2012 ?

They binned most of the development for Arma 3.

They binned most of the development for Arma 3.

WOA news to me any idea why ?

Does this have to do with the previous Israeli setting ?

Nope. It's just kinda hard to release a game when your two main developers are stuck behind bars.

In any case nothing like it has happened this time around, so there shouldn't be any content to scrap. Which is why they can focus their efforts on both civilian and military stuff instead of completely scrapping one side in favour of the other (judging by the screenies that we already saw the devs are heading in the right direction for balancing this).

I sometimes get the feeling Arma is just a downgraded VBS.

VBS is ArmA for serious simulation purposes, ArmA is the game version of it. VBS lacks entirely the game aspects and would not be interesting to 90% of ArmA players. Though, judging by some posters on here, I think they'd actually be more pleased with a civilian version of VBS rather than ArmA. :p

I'm fine if BI invests time in Cicilians and civ. assets, as long as the life kids and the ones who make their business model with the life kids stay in their reserves.

The weight of numbers suggests it's actually the military players who are 'on the reserve'.

Just returned from a trip and saw an empty first post in this thread. :D Seems there was a leak.

Was there a video too? Teaser / trailer? Or just the screenshots?

Just returned from a trip and saw an empty first post in this thread. :D Seems there was a leak.

Was there a video too? Teaser / trailer? Or just the screenshots?

I think the video was only a link to a private youtube video. No one saw it.

It was just the screenshots and a short text description.

I said to some people a while back, the new expansion would most likely be a pacific themed map and due to the naval stuff in like dynamic waves and underwater environments I bet there would be multiple islands. Now it is not a lot to go by especially if this is just a hoax but the plane wreck in the tree image looks like it has an old allied star on and a lot of wrecks are around pacific islands. They also said (I think) that the terrain will be unlike any of the previous games and we have had forests, deserts, mountainous but no pacific-ee/archipelago (all on one map at least) terrain or snowy terrain.

I especially like that open mine - for its "micro-terrain", and I hope there is similar detail (steep slopes and stuff) to be found elsewhere, e.g. inside the jungle (those huge trees look incredible!).

And then I wonder if there will be some rivers through the jungle too. :lookaround:

thihihi

Oh well, it will be awesome either way. :thumb:

AWESOME is ideal to destroy the last FPS in MP;)

It would probably be a repeat of Assassin's Creed Unity for sure.

Is it me or did BI at last optimize the mid range textures?

http://i.imgur.com/BHNR8Zu.jpg

I wondered about that as well but it's hard to say one way or another. The bare dirt in the mine still seems to be pure-satmap (perhaps a higher resolution) but the way the bushes blend into the grass seems better.

Either way I'm a bit saddened nobody from BIS has responded to this suggestion, which just seems to me to be a total free lunch.

It would probably be a repeat of Assassin's Creed Unity for sure.

the idea of populated towns with complex behavior in this engine is pure utopia. simply ain't gonna happen. never gonna perform properly since very basic scenarios can already struggle as is.

it's like what someone mentioned about the occasional car in addons like tpW. it's a tiny detail that adds so much. no traffic. just one car once in a while. who needs populated towns? i want to be surprised by a lone civ running into my sights screaming because i almost shot him.

i'd rather have civilians act as simple as animals or as mentioned reversed zombies. loiter and when in proximity and "aggroed" by gunshots running away from you instead of towards you. almost like COD fish AI ;) or take startled flocks of birds as an example.

instead now we have dudes jogging around casually (because AI can't sprint for some reason) aimlessly without any logic and going prone (do they still do that?). atleast they already kinda move away in open fields. urban areas can get messy though.

as froggyluv mentioned. basic self preservation maneuvres are not working well for AI period.

@defunkt: yea looks more like highres sat map. hard to say though since we don't know what to look for without knowing how a potentially new system works.

the idea of populated towns with complex behavior in this engine is pure utopia. simply ain't gonna happen. never gonna perform properly since very basic scenarios can already struggle as is.

it's like what someone mentioned about the occasional car in addons like tpW. it's a tiny detail that adds so much. no traffic. just one car once in a while. who needs populated towns? i want to be surprised by a lone civ running into my sights screaming because i almost shot him.

i'd rather have civilians act as simple as animals or as mentioned reversed zombies. loiter and when in proximity and "aggroed" by gunshots running away from you instead of towards you. almost like COD fish AI ;) or take startled flocks of birds as an example.

instead now we have dudes jogging around casually (because AI can't sprint for some reason) aimlessly without any logic and going prone (do they still do that?). atleast they already kinda move away in open fields. urban areas can get messy though.

I agree. As much as I love civilians to add atmosphere in the scenarios, I like them in a logic reduced number. In OFP:R and in Arma 2 + OA it was perfect for me.

A few civilians standing still, walking around and running away if there's a firefight it's enough local color for me. A car once in a while its fine too. Heck neither Altis nor this new island seem to be populated areas.

I vote that is this one.

Tanna Vanuatu

Well Tanna reduced to 1/5th of its size and including Aniwa as secondary island seems fitting.

Edited by MistyRonin

as froggyluv mentioned. basic self preservation maneuvres are not working well for AI period.

@defunkt: yea looks more like highres sat map. hard to say though since we don't know what to look for without knowing how a potentially new system works.

I meant moreso the immense amount of lag they encountered due to their experiment of trying to have such a densly populated crowd system....or at least it wasn't performance friendly at first.

another of BIS typical tropical "men only" resorts?

I wondered about that as well but it's hard to say one way or another. The bare dirt in the mine still seems to be pure-satmap

I wonder if they still still use the normal map and a more detailed terrain grid, at least with the nm you can add alot details in distance like pic

Someone told that the island could be this one.

Lihir Island, Papua New Guinea

I vote that is this one.

Tanna Vanuatu

at first when I saw the satellite images of Tanna, I certainly agreed, but upon looking at pictures of the island, the geography of the Volcano simply does not fit with the screenshots, as does much of the Island. Its geography just doesn't seem to match coastline wise either. It also does not logically fit in with the flashpoint, and as far as its history goes, It simply does not make sense. Unlike Lihir, Tanna was not occupied at any point, nor was it contested during the second World War. This leads me to believe that it can not be Tanna.

VBS has to be the Godwin of the Arma series. I'd like to ask anyone who ever did a 'VBS has' post, how many features from VBS have ever been implemented in Arma?

Thermal Vision, Backup Ironsights, IR Lasers, Gestures, Firing from Vehicles (Or rather a much better analogue).

while its not really sad seeing civilian men and women being shot, I woudnt like to see dead kids in the game.

unless they can make children and babies 'un killable'.

I wouldn't like to see any violence against any creature at all, please BIS remove that from ArmA.

Haha, the old discussion. We e.g. know from Fallout 1 where the first thing is to patch in the Children again, whose models are otherwise set to invisible, but they still work and steal things.

I understand and respect people being sensitive to certain issues, but it's no reason to exclude it for everyone. If you want to avoid seeing women and children being killed, don't play any user created missions that include having them in harms way. In the editor either don't spawn down women and children or give them the variable "this allowdamage false".
It was most likely that Bohemia didn't want negative publicity from videos of killing women and children, not when Arma 3 already had to deal with publicity over the ISIS mod (read: journalism that most certainly did not emphasize or headline the fact that it was strictly a community-made mod and not official content) at the beginning of this past February... heck, for years Ubisoft didn't include children in the Assassin's Creed sandbox (as opposed to cutscenes/specific events) because of certainty that players would go out of their way to kill them.
VBS has to be the Godwin of the Arma series. I'd like to ask anyone who ever did a 'VBS has' post, how many features from VBS have ever been implemented in Arma?
*snort* No kidding, that's why I prefaced my links with "I'd hate to say "VBS has it"" and made sure to point out that it's a third-party thing and not vanilla ("baseline") VBS3, which would be like mistaking community content for vanilla Arma. :p That, and it's a mission maker/runner thing instead of something that directly changes the user interactive experience except via "my immersion!", and some such third-party 'apps could indeed be essentially shiny GUIs for something that could be meticulously scripted... though after considering Zeus, those are hardly reasons to not want those capabilities!

Alternately,

video highlights how individual AI civilians can be customized via a separate third-party program; the first minute after that roughly corresponds to placing civilians in the Arma series' Editor other than the selection of a "behavior template", but at 1:48 and at 4:25 it goes in a really different direction... and in between those at 2:50 is the use of a GUI for creating/defining conversations and thresholds for specific conversation answers, which is rather different from both VBS3's "vanilla" conversation system (trivia: the GUI is reused for the medical treatment interface), and that used in Arma 2.
WOA news to me any idea why ?

More like it had to do with Greece -- DnA alluded to that as a factor in the new SP campaign's delay and explicitly stated that Limnos was renamed to Altis for that reason, but another dev mentioned elsewhere that they threw out a bunch more than just the original SP campaign.
Thermal Vision, Backup Ironsights, IR Lasers, Gestures, Firing from Vehicles (Or rather a much better analogue).
I'm certain that at least some of those had conceptually shown up in ACE though even before OA, and of course ShackTac Littlebird Enhancement Mod
for that airframe.