Rydygier

[SP] Pilgrimage

Indeed, in fact he has same skills all the time, like any AI, but when alone - has no one to report contacts, so is silent about them. Although it sounds paranoidal, your avatar knows about things, you have no idea about and keeps this knowledge secret from you. It's AIs' conspiracy obviously.

Edited by Rydygier

The only heartbeat effect is some custom makeshift used in the intro. In-game it must be a mod.

Yeah, skills are gone as soon AI is put into a vehicle. Still, when on foot, most of the time I'm hearing contact report from them before I spot anything myself. Hell, even after report, without checking the map, I often can't see, what was reported. It's because how real human spotting works and how works AI spotting (very inhuman way).

Most of the time I like to play without "extended map info" so you can't see where you are (whitout gps) and you don't know where the enemies are spotted, only a direction. That's why I like to take a companion so you hear from him or yourself that there is an enemy somewhere.. So yes, a compagnion is some kind of an early warning system for me as well. :292:

So yes, a compagnion is some kind of an early warning system for me as well.

I've never played Pilgrimage with the companion and i doubt i ever will. I prefer to rely on myself at either spotting the enemy or being surprised by walking right into a patrol. It's a lot more fun, and i've certainly been in some hairy situations! Personal choice i guess. The harder the better! ;)

The only problem i have with Pilgrimage is i can't stop playing it! I'm a self confessed Pilgrimage addict! ;)

I've never played Pilgrimage with the companion and i doubt i ever will. I prefer to rely on myself at either spotting the enemy or being surprised by walking right into a patrol. It's a lot more fun, and i've certainly been in some hairy situations! Personal choice i guess. The harder the better! ;)

The only problem i have with Pilgrimage is i can't stop playing it! I'm a self confessed Pilgrimage addict! ;)

Some kind of a compromis would be nice. I don't like the extended map info but they see you with deir unhuman spotting abilities but you don't see them so easily.. Some kind of a warning like "I think I saw something ... right in front of me" hm, that would be nice. But I agree that it is a lot more fun upto some point. There is one thing though. With bcombat it much more difficuld to be shot. With bcombat it are the flying bullets that is your early warning system :) I don't use it anymore. I played the official campaign with it until I understood it was not my perfect playing style witch kept me alive but bcombat :outtahere:

@Rydygier

While playing earlier i was thinking, is there a possibility of adding radio chatter for the enemy, letting you eavesdrop on them finding your foot trail and tracking you. With them telling your possible heading/direction and maybe distance or time they are behind you. An approximation to give you that feeling of being hunted!

Just an idea! :D

Idea is nice. :) Chatter itself is there, just need to add some dynamic data into it. Hopefully doable, if arty fire adjustment was...

Idea is nice. :) Chatter itself is there, just need to add some dynamic data into it. Hopefully doable, if arty fire adjustment was...

Cool, that's what i like to hear Rydygier. ;)

This is amazing Rydygier.. To date my best SP experience with arma 3, thankyou. Who would have though I would have enjoyed travelling 18.9km across altis on foot so much. I refused to drive as i was worried I would miss something. I have not been playing your mission that long but will be playing nothing but this for some time. Great work.

Every happy player is the source of my satisfaction. :) Good luck during Pilgrimages.

Cool, indeed. :)

Edited by Rydygier

Congrats on becoming a MANW finalist

Just saw the list, well done Rydygier. Well deserved! ;)

Thanks. :) I still have to spent some time playing the rest of MANW entries, at least those in the final. Only few of them I tried so far...

The save game seems to have broken for me, I have the resume option when I start arma but when i hit it it loads and then takes me back to the scenarios screen, any idea what may be causing this??? I have deleted all pilgrimage files from my system and reloaded from workshop but didn't seem to fix. Ideas??

Further to my last, this is the screen I am getting after I go to reload a saved game from within the game http://imageshack.com/a/img537/8516/RgSp50.png when I hit continue I get taken back to the scenarios screen (I select the mission again) and when I hit resume nothing happens. Any help? I cant go without playing this mission much longer.

I have deleted all aspects of Pilgrimage from my system (or so I think), unsubscribed Steam and downloaded armaholic and at the moment this is the only mission I have in any of my mission folders, still happens. It started about 2 days ago and I have no idea what is causing it. I have tried deleting anything relating to Pilgrimage on my PC but when I start a fresh game it still has my preferences set to what I had before. Where would it be keeping this information to keep showing up on fresh copies of the mission??? Maybe this is where I am having issues, I really don't know.

Sounds like nothing, I know about. Moving from Workshop to Armaholic is good move anyway, but if that not helped, then hard to say, what to do. Tried other custom mission to compare? (does that happen only for Pilgrimage or for other scenarios too?) Any mods used? Anything particular happened 2 days ago, when it started? Saves/all was working earlier? What's your game version? Tried file integrity check for Arma in Steam? What RPT file says after such event?

Preferences should stay same, it's designed that way. Deleting mission doesn't change that, it's saved into your profile namespace - out of mission files. Not reason of the issues for sure.

The save game seems to have broken for me, I have the resume option when I start arma but when i hit it it loads and then takes me back to the scenarios screen, any idea what may be causing this??? I have deleted all pilgrimage files from my system and reloaded from workshop but didn't seem to fix. Ideas??

Further to my last, this is the screen I am getting after I go to reload a saved game from within the game http://imageshack.com/a/img537/8516/RgSp50.png when I hit continue I get taken back to the scenarios screen (I select the mission again) and when I hit resume nothing happens. Any help? I cant go without playing this mission much longer.

I have deleted all aspects of Pilgrimage from my system (or so I think), unsubscribed Steam and downloaded armaholic and at the moment this is the only mission I have in any of my mission folders, still happens. It started about 2 days ago and I have no idea what is causing it. I have tried deleting anything relating to Pilgrimage on my PC but when I start a fresh game it still has my preferences set to what I had before. Where would it be keeping this information to keep showing up on fresh copies of the mission??? Maybe this is where I am having issues, I really don't know.

Seems to me a basic case of NLSG symdrom (some mod dependancy, passed unnoticed cus the user is launching arma3 with -nologs parameter on)... does it happens only with Pilgrimage or any other SP mission? If the second alternative, you have some active mod that requires another mod - which you don´t have on - so arma3 prevents loading a saved game =P

Try playing Pilgrimage on vanilla...

cheers!

In the 1.38 update for ARMA, BIS removed a redundant pbo from the game. Unfortunately some mods will have this in their files as a dependency until they update their mod. I had the same problem with Speed of Sound Pure, I couldn't load a savegame, so I disabled the mod, started a new game and everything is fine now.

Rydygier,

I'm not sure how the reputation system works now. I had a major battle in Syrta, killed about 20 AAF but no civilians, yet my reputation plummeted and one of the civilians shot me. There were another two after me as well. At least they counted as enemy kills not civilian kills. Surfer 1 & two Civilian 3s won't be having any children now. I think the AAF must have been popular in that town. The civilians won't talk to me now.

Also, in the phone call from Tyrone with the stronghold co-ordinates, there are still two sets of co-ordinates for the same stronghold near Frini.

I'm not sure how the reputation system works now. I had a major battle in Syrta, killed about 20 AAF but no civilians, yet my reputation plummeted and one of the civilians shot me.

Hmm. Have to test it. Some mistake might happen. Or perhaps it's question of balancing, like 3 civilians affecting too much? At least good, armed civs works. :)

there are still two sets of co-ordinates for the same stronghold near Frini.

Forgot, thanks. of course, that's Tyrone's mistake, not mine, still I'll correct that. :)

Edited by Rydygier

Hmm. Have to test it. Some mistake might happen. Or perhaps it's question of balancing, like 3 civilians affecting too much? At least good, armed civs works.

Perhaps one of their brothers was in the AAF or they didn't like it because I brought two CSAT gunships to the town who destroyed all the AAF vehicles. Still, if my reputation is that bad, I might as well run over as many civilians as I like.

Forgot, thanks. of course, that's Tyrone's mistake, not mine, still I'll correct that. :)

Tyrone needs to get his act together. As the civilians aren't talking to me, I have started checking the stronghold locations but there are only nine locations given. First location is clear, as is one airfield but I believe the airport and AAC airfields are the bases for the gunships. I have received no intel from civilians such as go in this or that direction, so strongholds/airfields are now my target for intel.

Or all may be OK. Let's recall mechanics:

1. Each event affecting reputation is saved by it's value, position and time into one, collective array of events. Values are:

- 1.5 + (random 1.5) per kill of infantry group member;

- 2 + (random 2) - motorized group member;

- 3 + (random 3) - mechanized;

- 4 + (random 4) - armored;

- 5 + (random 5) - chopper crew member;

- 1 + (random 1) - for the rest (IIRC including any kill of AC group member, regardless its kind, but not 100% sure. Also not 100% sure why it was the problem to add these groups to lists of inf,mot,mech groups, I'll fix that if doable);

- -10 - (random 10) - for each civilian kill.

Note pretty big randomization

2. Reputation is tested for each civilian individually, and each test is re-calculated.

3. Reputation is tesated at unit's spawn (then is decided, if unit will be usual, or armed), then every 120-140 seconds and some seconds after player's fire near civilians.

4. Calculation looks as follows:

- for each event it's affection on tested unit is equal to: _vl = (sqrt(_age/(100 + _dst))) * _vl * ((1 + (random 20))/(10 + (random 10)));

So it depends who was killed, how far and when. Plus another serious randomization. It reflects, how significant event is fot tested person. The older event, the more, as gossip spreads around in time.

- resulting affection value will be added to the total reputation value for tested unit only, if it met such condition: (((abs (_vl * 0.03)) min 0.85) > (random 1))

This reflects varying chances, so unit even heard about the event so far. For fresh, far infantry kills chance is very low, so may pass one per 20 kills or so. Sadly, this doesn't count big infantry battles as single, famous event, but as many individual kills. That affects the outcome. From the other hand, even fresh civilian kill in the neighbourhood has 10-20x bigger chance to pass (unlike for some far anonymous bandit kill, person will likely informed fast about killed, well known neighbour or even relative).

- in addition, if affection value will pass, there is check for too old events (> 1 hour). If the case, it's value is gradually reduced in time, as such gossips are short living. _vl = _vl * (((3600/_age)^0.5) max 0.1)

So technically is possible to get angry armed civilians and bad repo even after pretty big battle due to few civilians killed. Still, I'll continue tests on this, there are some things to fix, as I see.

As for Tyrone's list - there is no lacking any location due to that doubled, as it is (was) same way doubled in the positions array. So there are 9 possible Stronghold locations, while that around Frini is twice as probable, as the others. Fixed that. This + 6 airfields makes 15 positions potentially heavy guarded.

---------- Post added at 14:57 ---------- Previous post was at 13:47 ----------

BTW when testing, noted some most weird issues with tracked vehicles spinning around instead of moving forward - I suppose something to do with this 1.38 new PhysX sinking tank problems. Pretty nasty... :( A bit similar to

, but if it was sunk, then minimal - still I feel, something in common here. Or maybe some usual driving AI stuff. Whatever.

So far in my tests reputation works as expected. For the next version I'll try to make repo system better handle bigger battles, so chance for value passing will be increased by amount of other near events - let's make bigger engagement kills, where many died on small area more famous than some single, remote kills. Also removed some bug, so mot/mech/armored was often evaluated as foot infantry

Edited by Rydygier

Still, when on foot, most of the time I'm hearing contact report from them before I spot anything myself. Hell, even after report, without checking the map, I often can't see, what was reported. It's because how real human spotting works and how works AI spotting (very inhuman way).

Funny you should mention that, playing your mission with a companion actually helped me greatly into tweaking AI's spotting abilities for my AI mod, because of that ^^^ :)

For me it's now actually the other way around most of the times, I have to explicitly reveal distance targets so he becomes aware.

Funny you should mention that, playing your mission with a companion actually helped me greatly into tweaking AI's spotting abilities for my AI mod, because of that ^^^ :)

For me it's now actually the other way around most of the times, I have to explicitly reveal distance targets so he becomes aware.

I guess you have some great spotting abilities yourself then :) I find it still difficuld to spot enemies, even with your mod (using latest version I think) Anyway, probably not the right place to post :)

Thanks for the help guys, the save issue was a mod problem. Working fine vanilla. Now to find out which one.. Back to the best SP mission ever.

Just a quick question, I've been playing the coop WIP on and off. Are there any air vehicles in it to find? Like a chopper or plane near the airports? Or randomly on the map?

Cheers :D