Rydygier

[SP] Pilgrimage

First coord is X - horizontal, increasing from left to right. Second is Y - vertical coord, increasing from the bottom. So yes, just find 193 on the vertical map coord for this example.

I think my reputation must be improving again. I moved to Galati - no contacts there, but civs still trying to shoot me. Moved to a military compound overlooking the airport. Mortared the gunship, etc at the airport and the stronghold at Lakka. Moving into Lakka, civs were still trying to shoot me. Now after a major gun battle against CSAT (approx 16 infantry kills) I have seen my first blue 3D icon above a civilian in the town. I had none in Galati.

I also have two disabled gunships nearby that I could repair, but I bet they have no fuel. I think that's the reason the second one came down.

I have done a quick video showing some of the new features including a hidden stash and bad reputation and the civilians response. And yes, neither gunship had any fuel. The battle where I got my bad reputation will be coming up in a later video.

@alky_lee

Nice video mate, had to chuckle when you hit the rocks with the car. Done that so many times. :D

@Rydygier

I was at a checkpoint, location 061220 approximately and the hesco barriers etc were floating due to crazy angles. Not a game breaker but thought i'd point it out in case you want to adjust the coord's.

Also this is so addictive mate, i had to email work and make up an excuse to postpone training so i could play on this until back to work Friday night. So if i get in trouble i'm blaming you. :D

I was also tinkering the other day as i was browsing scripts/mods/addons etc on youtube and saw one called IgiLoad where you can load for example a Quad or an Ammobox container stolen from a checkpoint. I thought i might find it useful when finding a Hemtt transport in Pilgrimage and don't want to give up my Quad which is useful for off road recon, or I wish to cram in looted weapons and ammo and take with me on my Hemtt. So i jammed it into your 1.90 beta 2 version on my PC for mucking about on. I'm not asking you to implement it as i like it the way it is. I'm merely seeing what it's like while playing the beta.

In beta 2 i've not been tracked yet, can't wait to see that when it happens. The artillery is a lot of fun, just listening to radio broadcasts calling it in right on where you're located. Very challenging! I haven't been on my ArmA2 server in ages because of this mission. Just top quality Rydygier. ;)

Edited by Law-Giver
Spelling, oops!!!!

I have done a quick video showing some of the new features including a hidden stash and bad reputation and the civilians response. And yes, neither gunship had any fuel. The battle where I got my bad reputation will be coming up in a later video.

:)

i'd point it out in case you want to adjust the coord's.

Not a chance, it's located dynamically, place is chosen by the code autonomously. I don't know, where these will be located exactly, i just set the rules of position evaluation. Only player's starting and stronghold/airfield positions are hand-picked. Apparently one of some rare (hopefully) cases, where command to find flat area fails or something like that. Or something to do with new PhysX issues?

So i jammed it into your 1.90 beta 2 version on my PC for mucking about on.

Cool. I think, such tool should be pbo-able and used as regular mod everywhere, then no need for "hacking". Depending on it's design of course. But that's a question for IgiLoad creator.

The artillery is a lot of fun, just listening to radio broadcasts calling it in right on where you're located. Very challenging!

Luckilly for Alex, despite nice adjusting work, FO does, mortars crew has set really shitty accuracy and can't use FO's data too well. :)

Edited by Rydygier

Luckilly for Alex, despite nice adjusting work, FO does, mortars crew has set really shitty accuracy and can't use FO's data too well.

Still makes it very entertaining, i've lost count how many times i've come under a barrage of artillery while surrounded by enemy from varying factions. Just trying to survive and fight your way out is so much fun. This mission has everything you need. :D

Not a chance, it's located dynamically, place is chosen by the code autonomously.

Fair enough, didn't realise that! ;)

Right, i've just had my dinner, back into beta 2. ;)

I have done a quick video

BTW riding in a civilian car off-road through the forest at night is kinda extreme sport. Exceptionally slow extreme sport. :) And yep, it's not expected also before latest changes so bad reputation. I wonder, why it was? Does some mod changes enemy side to civilian perhaps? But then would be counted as friendly/civilian I think. Or maybe for some reason civilians aren't listed? But why that would be? Civilian/POW kill is AFAIR the only way to get negative reputation (player, or his vehicle killing units of civilian side).

Edited by Rydygier

Wel just finished my quest again :) from the top north to just south of the main airfield :p it was slow with alot of hostille grounds but finished in just over 33 hours with over 250 confirmed kills and long shot from 1300 meters killing an officer for intel :p

BTW riding in a civilian car off-road through the forest at night is kinda extreme sport. Exceptionally slow extreme sport. :)

But it was dark, I had no NVGs although I had taken a torch off a dead enemy, and the car had nice bright headlights and I wasn't sure how much I would have to carry and I knew there was a camp on the other side of the hill. Plus it's an SUV, that can go anywhere ... or so some of their owners think .. lol

And yep, it's not expected also before latest changes so bad reputation. I wonder, why it was? Does some mod changes enemy side to civilian perhaps? But then would be counted as friendly/civilian I think. Or maybe for some reason civilians aren't listed? But why that would be? Civilian/POW kill is AFAIR the only way to get negative reputation (player, or his vehicle killing units of civilian side).

I don't know what happened to my reputation. I had around 50 kills at that time but only about 4 or 5 were CSAT. The rest were AAF. I had killed no civilians or POWs, and Syrta was the first town I had gone into. My reputation seemed to recover when I took on the CSAT held stronghold and airfield, but a lot of those kills were by my AI companions using a mortar and HMG, so I don't think they were all credited to me. At the end of the mission I had only found 4 civilians to ask about my brother.

I got killed 2/3 times by civilians and had to kill about 10 of them by the end of the mission. At the end I had over 100 kills, but my rating was only 60k when it is normally 120k. I wonder if BIS have changed something in relation to the AAF when they did the 1.38 update, although I did get bad rep once before for no reason.

Edited by alky_lee

Well, until we learn the truth about that, we can assume, that's some nasty, random false gossip was spread about thew Alex. Or maybe he was similar to some really bad local. :) No real theory for now, the only way I see makes no sense - somehow some hostiles become civilian before death (captives eg due to surrendering), yet was listed as hostile kills... I can try move setcaptive at surrendering to the end of whole thing, when they're standing with marks over heads...

edit: hmm. Captived are still counted as hostile kill, yet are of civilian side. So this may be it. Still, if I move setcaptive at the end, allied AIs will keep shooting at those hostiles for several seconds. And may not help, as for repo test is used side of the group, and group is not turned into civilian after surredering of its members. Mystery...

Edited by Rydygier

@Rydygier

I was going over a hill after being informed there were a lot of guys, actually 8 in total. I must have driven past them within 200m approx but when getting high on a hill and looking back from the gunners seat they were just stationary in a V formation. It's the first time coming across any enemy that i've seem them looking so dumb. Do you think this is possibly due to ASR_AI or something scripted in Pilgrimage as in they're waiting for orders or.........? :confused:

All other contacts, and i've had sh*t loads have been fine, foot soldiers and vehicles. But this one group looked dumb as f*ck!!! :D

I took pity on them and murdered them all, they're not moving any more!!!! :D

I'm taking a break from finding my brother and searching for the Warlords camp/s. Marking all possible coords on the map. So far no luck! :D

Edited by Law-Giver

IIRC there is no circumstance, where such doing-nothing group should appear. The most lazy groups have dismiss order, that means, they'll stand/sit/wandering randomly. The rest is patrolling/garrisoning/guarding/manning/trying to kill the player or other hostiles. It's technically possible, that some AI mod for some reason cancelled waypoints of some group, but it's not expected really.

Well, until we learn the truth about that, we can assume, that's some nasty, random false gossip was spread about thew Alex. Or maybe he was similar to some really bad local. :) No real theory for now, the only way I see makes no sense - somehow some hostiles become civilian before death (captives eg due to surrendering), yet was listed as hostile kills... I can try move setcaptive at surrendering to the end of whole thing, when they're standing with marks over heads...

edit: hmm. Captived are still counted as hostile kill, yet are of civilian side. So this may be it. Still, if I move setcaptive at the end, allied AIs will keep shooting at those hostiles for several seconds. And may not help, as for repo test is used side of the group, and group is not turned into civilian after surredering of its members. Mystery...

I'm sure it's to do with the AAF units in some way, and not because I stole a local drug dealers car. Unfortunately I can't help any further than that at the moment.

@Rydygier

I was going over a hill after being informed there were a lot of guys, actually 8 in total. I must have driven past them within 200m approx but when getting high on a hill and looking back from the gunners seat they were just stationary in a V formation. It's the first time coming across any enemy that i've seem them looking so dumb. Do you think this is possibly due to ASR_AI or something scripted in Pilgrimage as in they're waiting for orders or.........? :confused:

All other contacts, and i've had sh*t loads have been fine, foot soldiers and vehicles. But this one group looked dumb as f*ck!!! :D

I took pity on them and murdered them all, they're not moving any more!!!! :D

I find that sometimes, when I am a few hours into a mission, that I creep up on enemy squads not long after they have spawned before they have started to move, probably because the scripts are executing slowly. I have also seen squads not moving. It made it easy to land a mortar on them and wipe them out. I also had the situation where I killed four enemies on the same spot. Either they all ran into my hail of fire one after another or they were all standing in the same spot. It was a right mess when I was looting their bodies.

I'm taking a break from finding my brother and searching for the Warlords camp/s. Marking all possible coords on the map. So far no luck! :D

I find heading to the airfields first is quickest. Last mission I went to the airport and found a stronghold next to it.:)

probably because the scripts are executing slowly.

Reasonable explanation, especially for heavily modded, long gameplay. If something takes too long, especially despite good, stable FPS (unlike in the cities) - that's a clear sign of exec delays. Eg when between selling the box and its disappearing there is some gap. Or there aren't loot/asking marks in the town for too long. I need to make some tests in vanilla again, refreshing that old code to measure exec delays, but IMO despite new code added to the Pilgrimage here and there it's due to mods. This must wait several days though, as for now I'm busy with some new, interesting project, but completely out of Arma this time.

Edited by Rydygier

Reasonable explanation, especially for heavily modded, long gameplay. If something takes too long, especially despite good, stable FPS (unlike in the cities) - that's a clear sign of exec delays. Eg when between selling the box and its disappearing there is some gap. Or there aren't loot/asking marks in the town for too long. I need to make some tests in vanilla again, refreshing that old code to measure exec delays, but IMO despite new code added to the Pilgrimage here and there it's due to mods. This must wait several days though, as for now I'm busy with some new, interesting project, but completely out of Arma this time.

On the next release, beta or otherwise i'll play it through with nothing but vanilla. ASR_AI is an Ai mod after all and could be affecting it, just guessing. I use TPW but disable quite a lot of stuff in it. Here's my current list:

SDG_Attachments

AdvancedBallistics

ASR_AI3

ASDG_JR

BHC_Map_Contour

BW_LoadCalc

CBA_A3

LHM_StaticDrag

L_ExShake

L_Twitch

RAM

Smarter_Tanks

TPW_MODS

Unlocked_Uniforms

L_ES

L_ArmFatigue

L_Suppress

RYD_BT

VTS_Weaponresting

RPA_Refined_Vehicles

Tao_Foldmap_LG

UI_Corrections

Limited_Gun_Movement

As i said i only came across it once and i'm about 3 hours + in game! Or more time, can't remember due to my obsession with this mission. ;)

n the next release, beta or otherwise i'll play it through with nothing but vanilla.

Cool, thanks. I know, it's not easy choice. :)

As for exec delays, these may be caused by any mod introducing some looped scripting, so one must know well each to determine the suspects. If it's heavy and fast paced enough by design or due to some code flaw (bad optimization, memory leak, infinite multiplication of some leftovers (that one probable, when problems appear in time, gradually increasing)...) - voila, exec delay. The more such loops running in parallel, the worse. Pilgrimage code design is pretty strict as for amount of parallel loops. All is based on the single, main loop + one more, per frame, unavoidable, to show 3D markers. But this one is kept as light as possible. And there are custom actions added and many "Killed" EHs. Anything else running sometimes in parallel isn't looped, and short living. Thus I suspect some mods.

Cool, thanks. I know, it's not easy choice. :)

As for exec delays, these may be caused by any mod introducing some looped scripting, so one must know well each to determine the suspects. If it's heavy and fast paced enough by design or due to some code flaw (bad optimization, memory leak, infinite multiplication of some leftovers (that one probable, when problems appear in time, gradually increasing)...) - voila, exec delay. The more such loops running in parallel, the worse. Pilgrimage code design is pretty strict as for amount of parallel loops. All is based on the single, main loop + one more, per frame, unavoidable, to show 3D markers. But this one is kept as light as possible. And there are custom actions added and many "Killed" EHs. Anything else running sometimes in parallel isn't looped, and short living. Thus I suspect some mods.

I like using L_ES but once I am several hours into a mission, it starts getting exec delays playing the reverb. It did have a memory leak when it first came out, but is a lot better now. When I start my next mission I will leave it off and see if it makes any difference.

Just for the sake of it, here's a picture of them standing there. I reverted to an early save.

2ibjf4w.jpg

When i fired a warning shot, they certainly didn't hang about. They swiftly fired on my location! ;)

Just a little addition. Continuing from where i left off after 10 - 15 minutes after the stationary units. I was in a tower surveying all that i own and another V formation 8 man patrol was moving beautifully. Gladly, they didn't see me as my armored vehicle was outta reach. They're walking right by, so maybe the stalled units were just having a welcome break. :D

Maybe playing for so many hours just bogs it down and a game restart gives a breath of fresh air! :)

Edited by Law-Giver
Update post!

I had a major battle in Syrta, killed about 20 AAF but no civilians, yet my reputation plummeted and one of the civilians shot me.

The video of the battle that led to my bad reputation is now up. This was the first town I visited. Prior to the start of the video I had killed 3 CSAT + 1 Marid and about 15 AAF.

In your earlier video you didn't have civilians listed under the civilians' tab, but several under the enemies' tab.

@Rydygier

I've been playing this mission for several hours now, and it's been raining almost none stop. I'm in dire need of an umbrella or some sunshine! :D

Well, for some reason that way sometimes look 51% overcast, where any chance for rain starts from 50. :) tortuosit's weather mod allows to change that nicely, unless you play vanilla, then you're doomed - no umbrella.

In your earlier video you didn't have civilians listed under the civilians' tab, but several under the enemies' tab.

That could be those hostile, armed civilians (resistance side), that code spawns, when you have really bad reputation.

Those are the armed civilians I had to kill. They came at me in Syrta, Galati, Lakka & Stavros. It was only after I had taken the airport and moved to the other side of Altis that they stopped.

@Rydygier

Looks like you have another fan. My 15 year old son wants me to install Pilgrimage onto his PC. So i will sit with him after school and teach him the ways of the Pilgrimage. :D

Looks like i may have to buy ArmA3 for my other son who will probably want to play it when he sees his brother playing Pilgrimage. You're costing me a lot of money Rydygier. :D

Had to give my sons my spare graffix cards too, a GTX570 and a GTX670. Don't have kids......LOL! They're already scheming on who gets my GTX970. :D

Edited by Law-Giver

:D Best regards to your sons.