TeTeT

F/A-18 Super Hornet and Su-35S Flanker E

Hardly any radar simulation YET! As we know it is surprising what the community / BIS can come up with.

Yea... Let's come down to reality now. If no one has made a Radar Simulation in ARMA yet, its not happening. The islands are not big enough, going from side to side. Only thing I can think it do is what, Show all Active aircraft on island? That can be done via a script and map.. Then what? Sounds cool, but its actual use in ArmA is really limited. Trust me, I thought about this before. Only way its useful, if its a TvT mission or simulate a SP mission. EX: OPFOR controls Radar Dish, has all eyes on active Fixed Wing and Helis (expect low flying , tree huggers), and BLUFOR must take it out. In TVT it could work. But in SP, its just to simulate, and no real use.

So at end of the day, its just not really needed in A3. Cool as it sounds. I mean, I would love more Recon/Spy planes in ArmA, but they dont happen, because they don't fit into ArmA universe. Just not enough in-game scenario to make full use of em.

I've thought about it aswell and the only think I could come up with, would require someone to modmobile Sam units, like for instance SA3's with radar stations. Those operate diffrently from traditional, fixed long wave radar, and could be used to scan small patches of sky. Which is what they roughly do in real life aswell. Then you would have to figure out a way to manifest them as 3D cones of radar signature in which all non steatly aircraft would be detected and engaged.

Ofcourse this would also require a whole new way of detecting these 3D cones of danger zone, and ways to evade them, for instance a jammer aircraft, or anti radar weapons:

The most diffcult thing to script would be this moving 3D space of possible detectability. Then ofcourse for the sake of realism you could argue why SAM's would operate on their own without backup of AWACS and longwave radar.

Edited by CyclonicTuna

Shadow is actually working on a realistic radar system.

However... an ECM system like the Growler or Prowler don't have much use. Or no use at all. The Area of operation is no greater than 25x25km. Which is allready too close to BVR engagements which instantly renders ECM like that useless.

The only nice thing would be to connect it with ACRE and/or TFR to scan freqs and then jam them.

Shadow is actually working on a realistic radar system.

However... an ECM system like the Growler or Prowler don't have much use. Or no use at all. The Area of operation is no greater than 25x25km. Which is allready too close to BVR engagements which instantly renders ECM like that useless.

The only nice thing would be to connect it with ACRE and/or TFR to scan freqs and then jam them.

The use of OOB Areas and/or some custom terrains to increase the field of play would resolve this issue and open up the door to all kinds of BVR, ECM and perhaps even AWACS fun.

I love this community that has rallied around Arma! The purpose behind me dropping that video about the new fa-18 was fulfilled. Wasn't implying that Saul and Spartan should implement the changes but rather to just throw it out there and the devs as well as the people that follow this thread to crank up a convo about it and then watch the communitys wheels spin as everyone that is way more 'in the know' than myself make the assesment. There is a way to make a radar functional and useful within Arma 3. HOW??? I dont know lol, but you guys are off to a great start!

I love this community that has rallied around Arma! The purpose behind me dropping that video about the new fa-18 was fulfilled. Wasn't implying that Saul and Spartan should implement the changes but rather to just throw it out there and the devs as well as the people that follow this thread to crank up a convo about it and then watch the communitys wheels spin as everyone that is way more 'in the know' than myself make the assesment. There is a way to make a radar functional and useful within Arma 3. HOW??? I dont know lol, but you guys are off to a great start!

Well yeah, that's how a community works :P

https://www.youtube.com/B3HDT4Nqbz4

demonstration of a VFR Carrier circuit

2km Initial 250m @ 300km/h
Downwind 200m @ 200km/h
Final 160km/h on glideslope
3rd wire landing, full power to idle on arrest

DISCLAIMER
I'm a former Air Force pilot. I have never done carrier landings in my life. Circuit and speeds are based on USN NATOPS.
Speeds are based on Arma's F/A-18 flightmodel. Edited by 87th_Neptune

Hi, is there a way to spawn the Hornet with the wings folded? I tried the method in the manual but that only plays the animation. Whenever I place the planes in close proximity (i.e. on the Nimitz) they all die in spectacular technicolor explosions before the wings fold.

I think he wants to spawn the aircraft with the wings already folded so he can line them up tight on the carrier. The script shipbreaker posted will fold the wings, but only after spawning.

Could be wrong question but, Dose anyone know how to respawn F18 at Nimitz Carrier flight deck? i could use some help :(

Problem is that there's really no reason to have such an aircraft in Arma, because there's hardly any radar simulation, infact its bascially non excistant. Its just lock on, and try to evade with flares. An aircraft like this wouldn't have any significant role in my opinion, it would just imply some extra things you could hang under the wings without any use.

Well, you could keep planes from locking on, forcing them to use their cannons. I have played other, more arcade based jet games where they did a similar thing. When jammed, you couldn't lock on, or, depending on the jam type, you would see multiple fake targets on your hud in addition to the actual target.

Well, you could keep planes from locking on, forcing them to use their cannons. I have played other, more arcade based jet games where they did a similar thing. When jammed, you couldn't lock on, or, depending on the jam type, you would see multiple fake targets on your hud in addition to the actual target.
I've seen one of the latter implementation in Ace Combat 5, but it could be 'defeated' by getting to visual -- but that's kind of the norm in Arma which doesn't really simulate BVR; I haven't seen a "prevents lock on" implementation, although Ace Combat 04 did a thing where the jammer aircraft's 'radar jamming' was a circle that would overlap/visually block any radar symbols 'underneath', to force the player to use the Mk 1 eyeball when looking for targets underneath the circle.

The thing is, is that there are many types of missles with many ways to lock onto a target. For instance, its no use jamming a planes radar when the missle it fired has semi-active homing capability. Then there are also ways to collectively lead a target with multiple ground or air units who constantly communicate with the missle and switch its frequency to prevent jamming. There are also smart missles who use a combination of semi-active homing, coupled with image recognition and heat seeking.

You never jam one signal in air combat you imply multiple tactics to give you the best chance of survivabilty.

The thing is, is that there are many types of missles with many ways to lock onto a target. For instance, its no use jamming a planes radar when the missle it fired has semi-active homing capability. Then there are also ways to collectively lead a target with multiple ground or air units who constantly communicate with the missle and switch its frequency to prevent jamming. There are also smart missles who use a combination of semi-active homing, coupled with image recognition and heat seeking.

You never jam one signal in air combat you imply multiple tactics to give you the best chance of survivabilty.

There is a point where you hit arma 3's limits and you just have to settle. You could put the "anti-lock" jamming in just so you could have something. It may be also be possible to make it apply to only certain types of missiles, or make different versions of the jam that have the same effect but for different missiles.

Could be wrong question but, Dose anyone know how to respawn F18 at Nimitz Carrier flight deck? i could use some help :(

have a look at the top gun 0.66 missions

I dont think we have hit any limit of arma.

The active radar missiles (not semi active tuna ;) ) should be well possible to script. Even easier than IR missiles.

Even propper semi active radar missiles should be possible when a good radar systwm comes out. (Which I know is being worked on)

I guess my concern with a radar system, which is that same concern I have for TGPs, is that, as far as I know, it's pretty much impossible to control both the radar and the airplane at the same time. Do you know if that problem has been solved?

Hey,

I was just wondering about the ETA on the 1.7 F/A-18 and 1.0 SU-35. Saul said 1-2 weeks 3 weeks ago and we are itching to get our modpack updated. I can understand that not everything goes to plan everytime and delays are inevitable. All I need at the moment to make decisions is an updated ETA please. Thank you :)

@Leshrack and well, everyone else = 1.7 and 1.0 will be delayed as I had a computer crash and it has be a "process" to get everything running again. John and I are working diligently to get the aircraft ready to go but understand we will not release them until we both are happy with them. We are hoping for a week, two at the most.

Thank you for the update. Hope the crash hasn't inconvinienced you too much, they can be nasty sometimes.

have a look at the top gun 0.66 missions

Can't understand this system at all since i'm super retard at scripting :( thanks for kind advice anyway

just ask the maker of top gun mission if you can use some of his stuff so you dont have to do it yourself

@All, feedback needed - with recent DLC Karts released, regardless do you have it or not you might experience an error with current ejection system on F/A-18's and SU35 beta. Possible reason is change of mechanics for some engine based features like get in/get out in this case. Please let me know if you experience any weird errors with EJECTION feature.

Also as Saul stated - next update will be as soon as possible, but now with the new engine update we might end up rework some of our features to be compatible, so that might add some delay. Unfortunately it's reality, every game patch requires us to patch our mod and chase/research new tech behind the engine. So please bear with us on this one.