I wonder why all choppers, on all missions float so often in one place - dont react to fire small arms etc. They just freeze in the air.

I wonder why all choppers, on all missions float so often in one place - dont react to fire small arms etc. They just freeze in the air.

Could it be the problem with AI thinking way too long before moving to next waypoint? A known problem to be fixed.

Any news about the issue where AIs in player's team would report known targets over and over again.

Could it be the problem with AI thinking way too long before moving to next waypoint? A known problem to be fixed.

I really hope its this problem. Theu dont react to ANYTHING, even if apc's 30mm cannon is shoting to them, they just stay in place. Single player of course.

I really hope its this problem. Theu dont react to ANYTHING, even if apc's 30mm cannon is shoting to them, they just stay in place. Single player of course.

I've had similar issues with Zeus Spawned AI in SP. they would not go to any waypoint i set, i believe it has something to do with a cap on entities or something

I've had similar issues with Zeus Spawned AI in SP. they would not go to any waypoint i set, i believe it has something to do with a cap on entities or something

Pretty sure it's the same bug that I linked about waypoints, they just hold and nothing happens.

• Like 1

Apologies if this has already been asked, but has the Driving AI received any tender loving care?  Watching a Tank, Hummer, or Civilian car regularly crash into buildings, street signs, and other people makes my face sad.

I'd say that and the super turbo boosted, slingshot launched, flying Tanks that ram into each other and go 30 feet into the air are the 2 biggest immersion killers I have.

Have there been any updates to Driving/obstacle detection for AI Drivers?

• Like 1

Apologies if this has already been asked, but has the Driving AI received any tender loving care?  Watching a Tank, Hummer, or Civilian car regularly crash into buildings, street signs, and other people makes my face sad.

I'd say that and the super turbo boosted, slingshot launched, flying Tanks that ram into each other and go 30 feet into the air are the 2 biggest immersion killers I have.

Have there been any updates to Driving/obstacle detection for AI Drivers?

I guess not, this is why i'm "fighting" for it.

• Like 1

I really respect and admire the devs for all the work that's going into the next update. I haven't tried it myself but some of my friends have and so far I hear it's a resounding achievement. But I'm not hearing anything at all on the AI and this thread isn't very active right now. What are your guy's impressions?

The current RC is just so damn maddening. A few things in particular.

1. The AI simply cannot drive. They bump into walls and knock down signs and hit buildings more than they actually drive. And they have no sense of awareness to correct their path once this starts. They'll just keep hitting the same damn wall over and over and over.

2. Aiming accuracy, especially without scoped weapons, is way way too high.

3. The AI don't ever seem to use the tools they have at their disposal other than their primary gun. I couldn't even tell you the last time I witnessed one throwing smoke or popping a grenade around a corner where enemies are before making their way forward. Currently they make their way forward and march willingly right to their death. It's like there's no point in arming them with anything else other than a gun.

4. AI don't seem to utilize nearby cover. When I lead an AI squad, I'll be the only one crouching behind a barrier or making my way inside a building for safety. And when getting suppressed they almost always prefer to crouch over laying down.

I could go on and on.

I just don't feel like this game is designed for SP'ers or small groups with AI. I'm not expecting the world here. I realize we can command them (cumbersomely. The command system is also a mess). I'd just like to see that it's being worked on, even if it's bit by bit.

Have any of these things been tweaked or addressed at all?

I really respect and admire the devs for all the work that's going into the next update. I haven't tried it myself but some of my friends have and so far I hear it's a resounding achievement. But I'm not hearing anything at all on the AI and this thread isn't very active right now. What are your guy's impressions?

1. The AI simply cannot drive. They bump into walls and knock down signs and hit buildings more than they actually drive. And they have no sense of awareness to correct their path once this starts. They'll just keep hitting the same damn wall over and over and over.

3. The AI don't ever seem to use the tools they have at their disposal other than their primary gun. I couldn't even tell you the last time I witnessed one throwing smoke or popping a grenade around a corner where enemies are before making their way forward. Currently they make their way forward and march willingly right to their death. It's like there's no point in arming them with anything else other than a gun.

4. AI don't seem to utilize nearby cover. When I lead an AI squad, I'll be the only one crouching behind a barrier or making my way inside a building for safety. And when getting suppressed they almost always prefer to crouch over laying down.

I could go on and on.

I just don't feel like this game is designed for SP'ers or small groups with AI. I'm not expecting the world here. I realize we can command them (cumbersomely. The command system is also a mess). I'd just like to see that it's being worked on, even if it's bit by bit.

Few words:

Driving - agree - after they meet advantage of enemy, they are getting back to spawn position (armored vehicles) - intented? Aiming accuracy through iron sights - reported, ignored. Tools like grenades (smoke, frag) - they use it a lot, try to disable every AI mod. Covers - try to set AI in combat mode - it work very well. Conclusion? I play only in SP now as my internet connection gives me more lags than joy, but only thing that i'm keeping reporting are reversing issues not beacuse i act troll, i beggin for fixing this. Its gently saying Unacceptable that game 3 years after official release, not in beta, still have such major issues like rocket tanks (thanks to outdated PhysX plugin and settings), transformers clouds (outdated TrueSky plugin, new is available since very long) and impossibility to command the tanks properly, cover them close behind the buliding.... Ai seems to have much problems when they DETECT ANYTHING IN RADIOUS OF VEHICLE UP TO 10 METERS. If i would be Jay Crowe, all AI programmers would work this in highest prior, but i'm not Jay and this seems to be ignored. Such a shame that so good game have such idiotic bugs, and developers are ignoring this, players are only getting mad.

I could go on and on.

Yep, atm, vanilla AI is really lacking in lots of things.

1) Have you tried this? https://forums.bistudio.com/topic/177206-vcom-ai-driving-mod/page-7#entry2981829

It improved things for me.

2) This is tricky to test or confirm. You should export your AI skill values + other options to some RPT file and make a ticket regarding the issue, so the devs can examine and possibly reproduce it :). No data, no go. Because AI behaves different for others.

3) Again, provide the data for investigation of this. Btw, for efficient AI commanding - try CC addon:

It's fantastic.

4) True - AI has no different 'Behavior profiles', so they don't differentiate between a sniper / MGunner or a rifleman hunting them. When standing in an open area and a large caliber bullet flies past, they don't run for cover immediately. At least that's how soldiers react IRL - they seek cover ASAP.

AI still uses roadsigns as cover from incoming fire (no matter the caliber), etc.

So many issues to tackle that it seems rewriting the entire AI engine from scratch instead of putting all on top of old tech is the way to go. Devs did the same with their audio engine, same awaits the AI.

Few words:

Driving - agree - after they meet advantage of enemy, they are getting back to spawn position (armored vehicles) - intented? Aiming accuracy through iron sights - reported, ignored. Tools like grenades (smoke, frag) - they use it a lot, try to disable every AI mod. Covers - try to set AI in combat mode - it work very well. Conclusion? I play only in SP now as my internet connection gives me more lags than joy, but only thing that i'm keeping reporting are reversing issues not beacuse i act troll, i beggin for fixing this. Its gently saying Unacceptable that game 3 years after official release, not in beta, still have such major issues like rocket tanks (thanks to outdated PhysX plugin and settings), transformers clouds (outdated TrueSky plugin, new is available since very long) and impossibility to command the tanks properly, cover them close behind the buliding.... Ai seems to have much problems when they DETECT ANYTHING IN RADIOUS OF VEHICLE UP TO 10 METERS. If i would be Jay Crowe, all AI programmers would work this in highest prior, but i'm not Jay and this seems to be ignored. Such a shame that so good game have such idiotic bugs, and developers are ignoring this, players are only getting mad.

Hey, I understand your frustration, but as we've talked before - game-dev is a business.

I speculate that ~5% of player (at most) perhaps care about armor gameplay and such minor / major (depends on your POV) AI quirks. BIS has to set priorities because you can't possibly cover all scenarios and satisfy everyone.

Unfortunately, they can't sell all the AI fixes as a new DLC - that's just how the games industry dictates the rules - you have to make impressive new playable / non-playable content. Otherwise, no one will buy it.

Anyway, I still very much respect BIS for being independent and having their priorities straight. I'm sure the devs know about the issues you mentioned, however, currently they cannot allocate resources to fix them properly.

• Like 1

Ever since the clutter updates there have been some large improvements in the ai. I expect that will continue.

The driving is atrocious and if I had any say that is where I would like the focus to be as the ai improvements have been solid recently. Driving really is the Achilles heel. With my convoys... I will spawn three vehicles in open ground... and somehow they manage to all drive into each other...

Keep in mind tho... once you get under the hood, every action has a reaction that can be very undesirable. It really boils down to whether the improvement is not completely mitigated by some of the unforeseen issues that arise...

Case in point. We talked about role specific behaviour for the ai in FOA. I've wanted this for along time. We started with snipers taking a high point over the battle but quickly found the 1 or 2 units assigned to this had limited survivability. It is never as easy as it sounds....

• Like 1

Currently experiencing AI getting stuck next to rocks and buildings (as in they walk next to them and then don't move). They get stuck there forever and there is no way to get them out of it. Kind of ruins mission flow.

• Like 4

Currently experiencing AI getting stuck next to rocks and buildings (as in they walk next to them and then don't move). They get stuck there forever and there is no way to get them out of it. Kind of ruins gameplay.

Might be experiencing the same, AI being stuck on corners of buildings when in combat mode. They just stand there and don't move, even if they're teamleader and receive a move command (through scripts, zeus or debug console, same result).

Cheers

If they start attacking enemy you can give them order to stop it, they stuck in danger mode and wasting ammo at 800m away target.

Holy moly, you can now disable "autocombat". I just wanted to stop in and say thanks for this addition. This has been at the top of my wishlist forever. I can't wait to try it out!

Holy moly, you can now disable "autocombat". I just wanted to stop in and say thanks for this addition. This has been at the top of my wishlist forever. I can't wait to try it out!

How do you do that and what does it mean?

unit disableAI "AUTOCOMBAT" - unit will stay in whatever behaviour is set, for example AWARE.

[grp, 2] setWaypointForceBehaviour true - group will stay in waypoint behaviour (won't switch to combat)

Disables Combat mode for AI.

Done via scripting.... 

• "AUTOCOMBAT" - disables autonomous switching to COMBAT when in danger Available only since Arma 3 v1.56.

I just noticed real bug;
There is command "Get ammo from X" which is totally not working - double checked on ammo lying on the ground, on vehicles, ammo crates - nothing seems to work. Ai team member will reply just like his done the order "ready" and he didnt even looked at the side of ammo (from order). After minute he will endlessly keep repeat "no ammo", Please fix this.

I just noticed real bug;

There is command "Get ammo from X" which is totally not working - double checked on ammo lying on the ground, on vehicles, ammo crates - nothing seems to work. Ai team member will reply just like his done the order "ready" and he didnt even looked at the side of ammo (from order). After minute he will endlessly keep repeat "no ammo", Please fix this.

You should open a ticket. I don't feel like this thread gets a lot of dev attention.

I don't feel like this thread gets a lot of dev attention.

How can you say that when a dev just replied to you 30 minutes ago in here? :D

• Like 3

Are you sure the AI had enough ammo for all its weapons?

NPCs will complain if they don't have ammo for their secondary, eventhough they might not need it.

First its already reported SOMEWHERE on feedback, but feedback is not working now, so i cant check this. Second - i'm sure about their ammunition. I checked inventory of low ammo unit via map, team, inventory of desired unit, and he has 2 mags for the rifle, so he was keep talking low ammo. Ordered him to get ammo from truck - nothing, from ammo crates - nothing, even lefted him mags on the ground , gived order tot ake it - nothing. Its not working.