NordKindchen

Terrain Improvement (dev branch)

Oh and this

To our beloved devs: please give us the ability to tweak the lightning of the soldiers dynamically using scripts. We will do the method if necessary, but a single brightness multiplier for every unit would be one of the most wanted solutions for concealing

Is a really nice and potentially easy to do step towards better camouflage!

This is why i was asking exacly... the mod will be a huge download, not that i would bother myself.

There are people playing the vanilla version, and others can't play without mods. I have 87 GB of all kind of addons related to A2 and A3, and i'm not including the game itself.

If you can obtain a very detailed terrain that makes your gameplay experience better, why not to download it?

@Sniperwolf

I really like your graphic! And you nearly got it right. Only difference is that we need a different logic map for textures. Just because it wouldnt look that nice. But this procedure can be automated too, as I described in the OP. Simply by selecting colour with a tolerance and giving certain colour ranges certain default textures.

If you could add that to your graphic I would link that pic in my OP! Its quite nice=)

Sure, but I'm not quite understanding why it would need a different logic map than the one that currently exists as a surface mask?

As far as I understand the current island making, you currently make a "logic map" (surface mask) that decides where what texture is displayed in the close range. Which is explained here on the Biki. The surface mask seems to be already based on the data from the satmap according to this:

SurfaceMapLegend.png

Jnn_corazol_mask.jpgJnn_corazol_satellite.jpg

What's preventing them for using the same mask to map a different set of textures to the midrange detail layer according to the already existing mask? Differences in the satmap vs surface mask? That's the only thing I can think of right now and I can't find any reasons in your OP.

My conclusion from the OP to base that diagram on is:

• Instead of a single detail texture for all terrain, there should be multiple detail textures (which would need creating) for each surface on the terrain
  • Those would then be mapped according to the surface map over the satellite map
  • Potentially further increase the resolution of the satellite map

What am I missing?

Edited by Sniperwolf572

It would work to a certain degree. But the real beauty of this system would only come if you go into detail - which you wouldnt if you only take the close-range-logic-map.

I could make an example for you but I am just working at the midrange replacement at the moment:P

Do you insist on one?

Greetz!

It would work to a certain degree. But the real beauty of this system would only come if you go into detail - which you wouldnt if you only take the close-range-logic-map.

I could make an example for you but I am just working at the midrange replacement at the moment:P

Do you insist on one?

Greetz!

You don't need to put effort in for me, I'm just trying to understand what you mean by detail as I don't see how you can get more detailed for a mask than the one that's already being used to decide which texture is shown under your feet. :D

The close range logic map is already such an accurate representation of the terrain that the close range texture rendering on the terrain uses it to show you what's under your feet? No?

I don't understand what the difference between two "logic maps" would be? What would be the additional detail? As mentioned above, the only reason I see for that is if the satellite map is deviating from the current surface mask?

Best example would be: Two different textures for one big portion of gras. For example if you look at the airport at stratis. behind the hangar there is a pretty big area of one kind of ground. If you put only one texture in there you might see that it gets tiled. A second texture blended in here and there will prevent that.

But not only that. Two textures blendid in together can make for pretty many different variations. While only one will...well only be one and will repeat soon;)

Greetz

If you deliever the system then I would be glad to create the needed logic map and textures.

I think I want your babies. I don't have a womb.

maybe nordkindchen and the devs put themselves together and work out the ideas and then the devs can repaint the island for a DLC or an later Addon?

Maybe its too much work for one person alone.

about the >100% sampling the game is rendered on higher resolution then downsampled to your actual resolution ...

that's why it's more crisp on details but has massive performace penalty

about the AF issue, i know about it for some time, afaik it's caused by the way how AF is applied on various surfaces and lods ...

that's why the forced AF via drivers results into better quality but on performance cost ...

Yes thats clear. But 300% is not working. Take a look yourself. Geometry has the same aliasing in 100% as in 300%. 200% working correct.

can you write A3 feedback tracker ticket on this? with screenshots on 100/200/300 % + screen of your basic and advanced video settings + OS/GPU/drivers build and post URL here , thanks

theres a 300% sampling???

.... You don't use graphic option ? lol Please my friend don't post three words which time, kiss :p

When you use sampling, update the option a little, not directly 100 to 300, your computer could be have many lag.

I read your first post and I think I understand your method. You made Excellent job. I will speak to a programmers about that (on Friday).

I understand correctly?, do you want create a textures for middle detail ? If we will implement your technology into arma?

Thank you for your interesting idea

This post made my day already!

If this happens, I won't even notice the campaign will be missing for the first month because I'll probably just look at and drive through Altis until December.

Agreed! It's actually been really great to see this develop over time. Hopefully there's some fantastic end results because of it :)

If this good work coming in the final game, it's could be solving the problem with water ?

I explain, when a player was on gradient ground, if he move the head, he can look the water under the ground and this effect was on all the map.

Or : Water shader have the same altitude in all the map and under the map, but we can show under shader ground in gradient ground and show the water.

...then the devs can repaint the island for a DLC or an later Addon?...

payed DLC ? Addon ? No thanks, in vanilla pls

Latest NordKindchen's screenshots are inspiring,

for me these mid-range textures is one of 2 major issues in Arma 3.

the second major issue for me - grass at long distances (inability to hide in grass).

Devs, fix these 2 and be our gods.

Edited by Bashka

payed DLC ? Addon ? No thanks, in vanilla pls

DLC means DownLoadable Content, of course this will be DLC if this ever gets implemented.

of course this will be DLC if this ever gets implemented.

on Arma 3 release youtubers will show gameplay with blurry mid-textures and many ppl will be disappointed.

Game reviewers will describe it as disadvantage and it will remain in their reviews forever.

potential customers for sure will not search for addons that improves JUST RELEASED GAME.

Yes, please, any undertakings on this should not only make the midrange more pleasing to look at (there's grass out there, let me see it), BUT also do something about the sinking-into-ground workaround

on Arma 3 release youtubers will show gameplay with blurry mid-textures and many ppl will be disappointed.

Game reviewers will describe it as disadvantage and it will remain in their reviews forever.

potential customers for sure will not search for addons that improves JUST RELEASED GAME.

Ah, we might be talking about different things here, dlc != addon, I'm having a hard time believing BIS would make this an addon which would be optional and cost us money.

Ah, we might be talking about different things here, dlc != addon, I'm having a hard time believing BIS would make this an addon which would be optional and cost us money.

No, of course we won't have to pay for that kind of improvement. If this is ever improved by BIS, it would go into core and standard game updating.