NordKindchen

Terrain Improvement (dev branch)

As soon as I get the TPW/WW mods sorted I'll download and test on an FX4100 @ 4.3Ghz and HD7850... :D

Yay!

Give us a hint of where in the map the modded tile corresponds to... pls

Anyway... with the same reserves as Pauliness, running with no apparent decrease in performance...

Tested! i7-3770K@4.5GHz, GTX660, 8GB RAM. No FPS drop. This + Bad Benson mid texture medium...AWESOME! Thanks!!

I tested it (4GB RAM) no recognizable performanceimpact.

But the resulsts are not much better then the original regarding concealment.

I would seriously try to compensate for missing....god, verything is missing in the game detailwise...compensate with the texture how the place would look like with full detail.

Bensons archived more in this regard (sharp2), so now i try combinate both.

Edit: Looks much better with sharp2.

Still the relevant factor is how the units look detailwise, so how strong the contrast is, plus the lightning.

but anyway: without shadows and distant detail like and much more complex/more polys there will never be a significant amount of concealment.

Edited by wiresnsnakes

A really good work. I like it!. It uses the higher resolution capabilities but keeps the original feeling. The noise pattern scale very well. Color is fantastic.

Tested with the default midrange texture so i expect a general darkening when you release the new one, but with the current colors i think it could be even better. Please in the final version take advantage of the object maps to make fake AO and shadows.

Edited by VanZant

No performance hit or problems at all. Texture looks amazing compared to the vanilla textures. I really hope that BIS will consider this option.

Tested on mid-range GTX 460 (1GB). Not seeing any crashes or performance issues. Used HWInfo to monitor GPU load and memory usage - can't see any significant difference.

Here are a couple of screens for comparison: WITH and WITHOUT.

Great job :)

Edit: Is there any way to bake in tree/bush shadows in the mid-range?

Edited by Simas

Man some of these example shots are just incredible. Great work to the modders trying to improve what BI won't.

Which in and of itself kinda bugs me :| have they even officially said anything on this major issue? These default mid-range textures are just... appalling. I mean for a 2013 game come on guys, you can do a lot better as is proven by these modders.

Thanks for your feedback guys!

The final results will of course be much more polished. The current texture is created for an area near the south watchtower. However it is greatly work in progress and I have allready altered a fourth of it. For example the houses and the camp near the watchtower now fit better in and much more.

@wiresnake regarding concealment:

For the concealment test I use my own midrange textureset.

It gives much more crisp details - but you have to decide for yourself if you like it or not.

Try it out if you want

And @all.

There is however a gamebreaking bug. The one I posted furiously some days earlier. If you play with a big scope the game happens to scale down the texture size of the map and wont increase it anymore.

This however is a bug.

But I am not very keen on BIS fixing this since "its only this mod" which is affected....so either you create some pressure on them or nothing.

I am used to give feedback for games since years now and I am sick of gamebreaking bugs and stuff that clearly is not thought out at all. (When I think of the current effects we have I allready want to stop modding the game)

And I am slowly loosing the energy to keep on fighting for improvements.

If some guys of you play BF3 you may have noticed that soldiers would get invisible over a certain range

It was me who fought to get this improved. "it only took 5month to do so"....

Well I am sick of stuff like this.

This mod for example gives 16 times the detail we currently have with (as you experienced) no really noticeable performance hit.

Yet it gets destroyed by a bug that maybe will not get fixed.

You cannot imagine how frustrating this is for me.........

@Nord: Man it really looks great with the two combined^^^^ Don't give up bro -your work and strong push are needed and appreciated!

NordKindchen I thought that a developer asked about some kind of cooperation with you regarding the midrange textures. He seemed open and willing to discuss the issue some days ago. What happened?

No news yet. He wanted to talk to the programmers.

And thank you froggyluv^^ Kind of helps...

Edited by NordKindchen

650MB and I've only downloaded 140MB in an hour. Can anyone upload it in other site?

/Something is bugged because I can't see any difference :/ I'm on the same place where Simas took his screenshots and it's just the same old.

Edited by St. Jimmy

This looks awesome.

Will be interesting to see if the performance takes a bigger hit on the larger Altis island.

At St. Jimmy:

Thats the bug I am talking about. Either that or you didnt load the addon the right way.

Either way reinstalling the addon should fix this.At least for the moment.

NordKindchen, I tried your two files - Huge improvement, looks much better!

I didn't notice difference in fps. I wonder if those textures are demanding on gfx ram or system ram?

Edited by Zorg_DK

Pls remember - its a PERFORMANCE TEST! The final product is waaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaay better. Greetz and thanks

WTF people - show some consideration for those of us at work. PICTURES, goddamnit :cool:

Hi NordKindchen

Very happy with what you are trying to accomplish with this mod, I am just about to load up the performance test mod, but where do I put this Gewachs_straucher2.pbo ?

OK I found out that you need to load the addon in the old way with start up parameter. Selecting the mod in the game and then restarting doesn't work with the performance test.

OK I found out that you need to load the addon in the old way with start up parameter. Selecting the mod in the game and then restarting doesn't work with the performance test.

Oh, it did for me. I always enable mods in-game and restart.

Edited by Zorg_DK

very interresting stuff, gone check! At least, there is a hope, if BIS won't fix textures, there are the fans who will fix this! :D

@pillpopper123 Inside a folder with an @infront in which will have to be another folder called addons:

@randomnfoldername\addons\Gewachs_straucher2.pbo

You load it just as any other addon via steam "set launch options".

Greetz

@Old_Painless Ill upload some more pictures soon;)