NordKindchen

Terrain Improvement (dev branch)

quick question. I didnt get time to read the other posts from 1-58, so has this addon been released? By the way: awesome work Nordkindchen, outstanding. :pc::459:

Don't think the addon is released and it definitely isn't done. Its a massive and tedious task. And it doesn't help know that if the originally posted solution were implemented it would be SOO much easier,

So it's been a while since I've checked this thread.

The fact that you, nord, have to retexture the islands yourself...does this mean the BIS Devs aren't working on a fix?

I thought some of the Devs were looking into this issue?

Well I read about dev interest followed by "sorry, difficult". So, as fans of realism, I think it's safe to check this thread every decade.

Edited by tortuosit

Well I read about dev interest followed by "sorry, difficult"..

Really ? can you give the link please ?

Really ? can you give the link please ?

Read the 58 pages of this thread and you find the answer^^

Or :

Thanks all for your understanding, this method for middle range textures is very good and we will trying implement for some of Arma3 update. Big thanks for your feddback and ideas

And more before the 51 pages.

Rescanned the thread after "Thanks all for your understanding, this method for middle range textures is very good and we will trying implement for some of Arma3 update. Big thanks for your fedback and ideas", found no "sorry, difficult" )

nevermind. good work Nord.

Edited by matt_gold

Rescanned the thread after "Thanks all for your understanding, this method for middle range textures is very good and we will trying implement for some of Arma3 update. Big thanks for your fedback and ideas", found no "sorry, difficult" )

No I apologize. I seemed to have confused something. Best we know is from Googlava http://forums.bistudio.com/showthread.php?149905-Sophisticated-considerations-on-how-to-get-rid-of-the-blurry-mid-range-textures&p=2479511&viewfull=1#post2479511

Yeah, of course, I am for implement this technology to A3, but main decisions will be on a programmers and project leader.

This information I will know, after discusion with them. I'm sorry if my answer, sounds as 100% promise.

So no changes in sight at least.

this command might be of interest to some of you :) http://community.bistudio.com/wiki/setDetailMapBlendPars

Description:

Sets the detail texture map blend pars.

Allows for smooth transition between detailed and undetailed terrain texture at distance.

If noDetail > fullDetail, the texture detail will incur smooth transition in the area between the thresholds.

If noDetail <= fullDetail there will be obvious visible edge between texture detail changes at fullDetail distance.

this command might be of interest to some of you :) http://community.bistudio.com/wiki/setDetailMapBlendPars

Interestingly, the performance impact of increasing the full detail map to several thousand meters seems to be zero. (At least on my end.)

The only problem is that you start seeing obvious tiling artifacts beyond a few hundred meters.

Interestingly, the performance impact of increasing the full detail map to several thousand meters seems to be zero. (At least on my end.)

The only problem is that you start seeing obvious tiling artifacts beyond a few hundred meters.

the impact might be in VRAM/RAM usage grow

i wonder, why on chernarus or takistan, we had no such problems with midrange, what have been changed or affected, so it is so visible now? Glad you are working on improvements there.

i wonder, why on chernarus or takistan, we had no such problems with midrange, what have been changed or affected, so it is so visible now? Glad you are working on improvements there.

The problem was on chernarus to.

On takistan it wasn't as bad - sand can only be so detailed.

the impact might be in VRAM/RAM usage grow

Aren't the detail maps just tiling textures? Don't see how that would increase vram usage.

is that working in dev build only? Can anyone tell a noob in editor, how to apply that, to test by myself?

Aren't the detail maps just tiling textures? Don't see how that would increase vram usage.

It wouldn't, and doesn't as far as I can tell.

is that working in dev build only? Can anyone tell a noob in editor, how to apply that, to test by myself?

Yes, it's dev build only, and you can do it from the debug console while in-game in the editor. Just write in:

setDetailMapBlendPars [5000, 10000]

and click the "local exec" button. Replace the numbers with whatever you want.

Wondered this yesterday that is there something more we should know about this? I'll go test this bit more.

/Btw that command's max is 1000.

Edited by St. Jimmy

/Btw that command's max is 1000.

If so, it makes sense, beyond that distance the implied downsampling of the close detail resolution should make no difference. Still, that command looks very promising. Many thanks devs.

This command was in since the Alpha I think. It doesn't help to increase the terrain visual quality, because it only change the one midrange detail texture value (a non uniform shape with too much contrast difference, representing a rock and small rock) which is applied on any surface, sand, grass, dirt, concrete... The game need a mid range detail texture for each material, not one for the whole island.

Just wanted to share anothe pic.

The thing is: I am a bit disappointed by the state of the game. I was so sure things like the explosions and the vehicle wrecks were just placeholders. But they werent.

So for now I stopped the work on the midrange replacement mod.

It is now all depending on how good Blastcore 3 will be. If blast core manages to improve the effects to a state that I can enjoy I am going to work on the mod again. Till then I cannot enjoy the game and therefore wont put more effort in it.

Just thought you should know that.

Best regards!

Just wanted to share anothe pic.

The thing is: I am a bit disappointed by the state of the game. I was so sure things like the explosions and the vehicle wrecks were just placeholders. But they werent.

So for now I stopped the work on the midrange replacement mod.

It is now all depending on how good Blastcore 3 will be. If blast core manages to improve the effects to a state that I can enjoy I am going to work on the mod again. Till then I cannot enjoy the game and therefore wont put more effort in it.

Just thought you should know that.

Best regards!

i'm sorry, but really? Nearly everyone here, were having fingers crossed, you will work on your mod, maybe even with the devs together, and now you come and say: diz game haz blad xplosions, not going to work on my project anymoar!... I could understand, if the devs messed something up with engine, which could put your work on halt, but because you don't like explosions? Is that a first april joke?

i'm sorry, but really? Nearly everyone here, were having fingers crossed, you will work on your mod, maybe even with the devs together, and now you come and say: diz game haz blad xplosions, not going to work on my project anymoar!... I could understand, if the devs messed something up with engine, which could put your work on halt, but because you don't like explosions? Is that a first april joke?

Have you any idea of the absolutely insane amount of repetitive image editing is on NordKindchen's table? Those are hundreds of images for Stratis, nevermind Altis. Keep your fingers crossed indeed so that he manages to find the time to do it. And be thankful that he finds it worth it to whatever he expects from A3 enjoyment in return. Calibrate your expectations to reality first, april joke later.