Sign in to follow this  
Maio

Arma 3: Confirmed features | info & discussion

I also hope that they have, or will record many versions of numbers (start - in middle of - end of series and do the same with different moods, like scared, calm etc.). Relatively small work but increases the immersion greatly, when the bots reciting numbers don't sound like machine voice.

I think you're underestimating the amount of work there. They already have two volume variants (whispered and normal), which multiplies the number of recordings by 2. If you add three more variants each for start/middle/end that makes 2x3 = 6; then add "moods" into the mix and you multiply that again. Even just three moods would make 3x6=18 variants of each number, which is nine times the previous amount.

"Relatively small amount of work" my ass...

EDIT: to be clear, I agree that more variations would be better, but we shouldn't kid ourselves about the amount of work involved. Recording ten numbers is relatively easy; recording eighteen variants of ten numbers is not. Not to mention that each "mood" would require additional variants for all other words, not just the numbers.

Edited by MadDogX

What about just killing the audio voice of bot/player when he's been shot dead while reporting?

I don't know if I understand you properly but same system is in ArmA II right know if we talking about the same thing of course :p

If we do I think that it should be easy but if it is or not I can't really tell.

Just came to me, why are we talking about the damage model for vehicles in Confirmed features? It's a wish and belongs in the discussion there

I think you're underestimating the amount of work there. They already have two volume variants (whispered and normal), which multiplies the number of recordings by 2. If you add three more variants each for start/middle/end that makes 2x3 = 6; then add "moods" into the mix and you multiply that again. Even just three moods would make 3x6=18 variants of each number, which is nine times the previous amount.

"Relatively small amount of work" my ass...

EDIT: to be clear, I agree that more variations would be better, but we shouldn't kid ourselves about the amount of work involved. Recording ten numbers is relatively easy; recording eighteen variants of ten numbers is not. Not to mention that each "mood" would require additional variants for all other words, not just the numbers.

I agree with you mate, I expressed myself poorly. The "whispered" and "normal" variants were those that I meant. With those 2 (maybe more, if the devs have made new ones) moods every number would have 2x3=6 variants, and if it was done to numbers 0-9 it would require 6x10=60 samples. On the other hand, the samples would be easy to produce – just get an actor to say those numbers three times in row, "0 0 0, 1 1 1, 2 2 2" etc., cut the soundfiles and if they need post-processing, execute the same "PP macro" to every sound file. Of course it would also require changes to engine if the recognition of position of number in radio chatter wasn't there alreay.

On the other hand, if they were using big number of voice actors in the radio chatter, it would require much more work, maybe it wouldn't be worth it in that case.

Just came to me, why are we talking about the damage model for vehicles in Confirmed features? It's a wish and belongs in the discussion there

Because it is a discussion and the community wishes thread has a NO DISCUSSION label upon it.

ALL MOVE THAT ANIMAL TO OUR FRONT VERY CLOSE!

ENEMY MEDIC MAN TO OUR FRONT CLOSE!

Captain Shaftoe!

God me and my friend made fun of the radio and voice overs for hours. LOL

Just got back...

Wow it was supposd to be here while I was deployed....

Just got back...

I really like that they hold it back, it tells me they are working hard... and that makes this project more of a present than anything. You're probably going to be waiting the rest of the year, but I think April or May should be release time. It's an educated guess due to the fact that they were ready months ago for a community alpha. So sooner or later, we will be getting something :)

Just got back...

That's a good thing, you aren't missing out while we all have fun ;)

Well my bet of A3 release is still somewhere summer/fall 2013 - don't think that BIS + publishers are going to try to compete to put A3 in X-Mas sales and with "bigger/mainstream" titles and their release anyway. Cross fingers that this time the game runs smooth with enjoyable sp/mp missions out of the box for most people.... Now back to the recent picture showing two A3 tanks - can someone find a cute but diabolical rabbit in there - these creatures caused a lot of chaos and crashing in A2OA. Guess no one from BIS never ever played/tested A2OA long enough to enjoy what these funny bunny's are really doing! Can't wait to hear the message: "Sir, there are some splendid troubles on the roads of Altis - our support won't reach within schedule and probably never ever get over here. Our old long-eared in lovely fur dressed little friends appeared here on this new awesome island too.... s.s..some tea Sir?" :D

It's an educated guess due to the fact that they were ready months ago for a community alpha. So sooner or later, we will be getting something

How do you know they were ready for an alpha months ago?

My guess is end of February they will tell us the alpha is to be released March X (somewhere near the end) and the game will be available for pre order at this date as well. Then Alpha and beta testing will be done until sometime around july/august and the final game released august/september. Just random guessing though, I know very little about developing. No matter I hope when the website is up again there is a tonnes of goodies for us (pics, short vid, updated features list, and exact dates)

Just random guessing though, I know very little about developing. No matter I hope when the website is up again there is a tonnes of goodies for us (pics, short vid, updated features list, and exact dates)

Depends on the complexity of the game too. I would bet the final release date around mid October or bit earlier late September.

Depends on the complexity of the game too. I would bet the final release date around mid October or bit earlier late September.

True, but at this point I think they are done with adding more complexity/features. Now its probably about tweaking/balancing, polish, optimization and bug squashing - which we all know from the A2 beta program and devheaven could take quite a while in itself. Adding more complexity will probably only increase this "polish time" exponentially, thus why I think they are pretty much locking down features, if they haven' already.

So probably no 3d scopes or supe duper armour simulation until the "OA of Arma 3" comes out. I am purely guessing though.

Optimization and bug squashing

I think this is their priority numero uno till the release.

And probably the behavior improvements of AI too.

I think this is their priority numero uno till the release.

Yep. And even though I am one of those fanboys who have been desensitized to arma's flaws and would love to see BIS "make all the thingz!" it is great that this is their focus. I accept and support it.

And probably the behavior improvements of AI too.

I think not so much the behaviour but rather the "skillz" of the ai. Also a good thing to work on - sort out the basics before adding additional complexity.

Yup absolutely, and when we collect all our thoughts together its relatively very hard for devs to implement it to the game.

So we should wait even more. Maybe it will work at all.

So probably no 3d scopes or supe duper armour simulation until the "OA of Arma 3" comes out. I am purely guessing though.

Funny thing is that people who say "look at ACE" (which I think should be the default ArmA) forget that ACE's damage system wouldn't be possible at all if there wasn't any similar system already in place. Just like IF44.

On a related note - Jay Crowe saying that they are doing VO prototypes only now means alpha is nowhere near on the horizon :(

(let alone the final release)

Funny thing is that people who say "look at ACE" (which I think should be the default ArmA)

Yes it should be.

I hope that at least JRHS ( or how it called ) sound mod will be not needed for all default A3 sounds though.

Funny thing is that people who say "look at ACE" (which I think should be the default ArmA) forget that ACE's damage system wouldn't be possible at all if there wasn't any similar system already in place. Just like IF44.

Yes indeed. Arma actually already does technically have a component based damage system - it just that the vanilla game didn't put much detail into that system (unlike ace or IF).

Although I don't think we'll will see anything along the lines of Steel Beasts or Combat Mission 2, I do believe that there will be an improvement to vehicular damage if BIS simply invests in putting more detail/time into each vehicle - which is their plan if I recall correctly. Quality over quantity seemed to be their approach.

On a related note - Jay Crowe saying that they are doing VO prototypes only now means alpha is nowhere near on the horizon (let alone the final release)
Hmm. why do say that?

Because they will want for us to listen to those VOs in-game and give feedback and changing how phrasegen works (and testing it) + recording voices isn't something that is done fast.

Remember Crowe wrote they are only doing 'prototypes' now. So Alpha definitely won't happen on 18th (and not this month) like many people here want to believe.

Although I don't think we'll will see anything along the lines of Steel Beasts or Combat Mission 2

(is there some new info about CM2? I only knew about the "announcement" on forums last year)

I see where your coming from. Yeah February is definitely to early but I think a date will be announced during February stating when the alpha will be released.

(is there some new info about CM2? I only knew about the "announcement" on forums last year)

I probably phrased that wrong. I meant CMSF 1 (which happens to run on the CM engine 2.0). CMSF 2 hasn't come out yet and probably won't for a while but there are several new world war 2 theatres out with additional features. They are also introducing a new market scheme that allows you to actually update earlier games with the newest features of the more current games. Unfortunately still no real ai and very poor infantry control/reactions to fire. And this is way off topic so heres the spoiler

I think that there will be predefinied models, but i hope to see better effects - not just shoot and voila - a hole.

Similar to what OA have now, probably more datailed, hopefully with more debris\particles effects.

A good system IMO.