Sign in to follow this  
Maio

Arma 3: Confirmed features | info & discussion

We have no idea because fixed-wing wasn't talked about at all in 2012. :( There's a video, I believe the helicopters interview (4/7?) that GameStar.DE did with Jay Crowe where the helicopter takes damage from anti-air fire, but otherwise we see nothing of the damage model for aircraft in 2012.

Which is a shame for an aircraft simulator. No....wait.

But should not be it "military simulator" too ?

Arma 3 the ultimate milsim with good firearms and "very simplified" tank/aircraft models ( not units ) kinda arcade though.

Edited by raptor90

No, because the ArmA series never was a simulator :)

No ? Damn i thought it was.

But wait what it is then ? "Battlefield - Czech version" ?

Edited by raptor90

Digital Combat Simulator is for many, including me, the only true, all around, military simulator. No other "game" has as much fidelity in both land, sea and air combat.

ARMA is an open-world/sandbox tactical shooter. Your weapons don't even jam and you can't even deploy bipods but I'll stop here.

Your weapons don't even jam and you can't even deploy bipods but I'll stop here.

Why ?

The tank damage system is like arcade but bit better, the aircraft damage/flight system is even worse but yes, the small firearms has real sounds thats awesome, and you have different stances for your character.

Thats awesome really.

It is an awesome game that offers more realistic functionality than any other game on the market but however it is not a "simulator" as to what a real "simulator" like VBS2 is.

I think Jay nailed it pretty accurate

"Arma 3 is a unique, infantry-centric military game built upon appropriate, useful & engaging elements of simulation. It's an accessible platform for a variety of official & community playable/ sandbox content, based on the principles of authenticity, diversity & opportunity."

We dont need to fight about that any more :)

To pull the thread to the right direction again, the stationary XM312 and XM307 have been worked on as well :)

http://www.abload.de/img/xmka_thndeu8f.jpg

Edited by PurePassion

No, because the ArmA series never was a simulator
It never was, but no doubt at one time it did want to be...

http://www.covergalaxy.com/forum/attachments/pc/7329d1259227721-arma-ii-armed-assault-ii-front-cover-arma-ii-us-cover.jpg

But definitely with arma 3, BIS seem to be veering towards "dynamic sandbox" over "ultimate military simulator", even though a3 will still probably be the most realistic game out of the series.

To pull the thread to the right direction again, the stationary XM312 and XM307 have been worked on as well

http://www.abload.de/img/xmka_thndeu8f.jpg

Nice, where is this a picture of/from?

ArmA simulates the effect of vehicles on a battlefield pretty well, you dont need to simulate each and every aspect of a vehicle for that. Its pretty clear that that has always been the goal.

Arma 3 the ultimate milsim with good firearms and "very simplified" tank/aircraft models ( not units ) kinda arcade though.

This is a simulator devs! Make all the things!

What is DCS A-10C then?

Tanks in it behave like plastic toys! "HAWX - Russian version"?

What is Steel Beasts Pro?

I can see infantry AT team running around in it but the AT missile spawns right out of thin air above them! "World of Tanks - German version"?

Edited by metalcraze

Nice, where is this a picture of/from?

The almighty Arma 3 dev-mode :pet13:

Edited by PurePassion

ArmA simulates the effect of vehicles on a battlefield pretty well, you dont need to simulate each and every aspect of a vehicle for that. Its pretty clear that that has always been the goal.

And so do it BF3 though...

With better graphics. Of course it has a lot smaller maps but still.

And so do it BF3 though...

With its hp bar for tanks and APCs and no penetration simulation whatsoever? RIGHT

With better graphics.

If you call 2D trees and grassy fields looking more like a desert like that - then yeah...

This is a simulator devs! Make all the things!

What is DCS A-10C then?

Tanks in it behave like plastic toys! "HAWX - Russian version"?

What is Steel Beasts Pro?

I can see infantry AT team running around in it but the AT missile spawns right out of thin air above them! "World of Tanks - German version"?

Yes and ?

What does means "Ultimate military simulator " to you ?

Yes and ?

What does means "Ultimate military simulator " to you ?

A marketing communication slogan :)

With its hp bar for tanks and APCs and no penetration simulation whatsoever? RIGHT

Arma 3 will have some penetration simulation ? Where did you read that ?

Edited by raptor90

Arma 3 will have some penetration simulation ? Where did you read that ?

ArmA has penetration simulation since OFP release back in 2001. That's for 12 years now. Good morning.

That and that it simulates much more stuff than any other game? Which it does.

Are you so sure ?

Are you so sure ?

Yes. The rest of the simulation games usually have 1-2 vehicles simulated close to ~95% (yes even Falcon 4.0 didn't have everything simulated in its only F-16) while the rest is a purely abstract representation.

While the focus of ArmA is obviously more on the infantry side - even "arcadey" tanks, choppers, planes have fair ballistics, you can damage different systems on them with varied effects (like shooting off rotor or puncturing the fuel tank, damaging tank tracks, popping car wheels, disabling fire control systems, killing/wounding the crew without actually destroying the vehicle and so on) and they aren't controlled like toys-pretending-to-be-vehicles from BF3 where Apache can do a 180 degree turn at full speed.

So you have a "true" sim like Black Shark? So yeah they've spent years developing a single chopper but tanks still behave like cardboard cutouts and aerial vehicles are mere abstractions that do not abide by the same simulation rules as the titular Kamov chopper does.

Considering that it's impossible for any dev studio, no matter how big, to do a 100% simulation of everything and not go bankrupt in the process/have their devs die of old age - I'd say ArmA does a pretty damn good job at simulating all stuff within it. Because while Blackhawk in it isn't a true to real life representation, it's not some arcade abstraction from all other games not dedicated to it and does take some piloting skills to fly instead of just holding W and moving mouse around like in Battlefield games.

Well certainly its not a simulator, or BIS is wasting their time with VBS.

It’s a game that needs a certain amount of reality/belief suspension. We know a tank doesn’t disintegrate like that when fully hit and destroyed, we understand that aircraft, on the whole, don’t usually leave much behind when they have gone down, other than bits, of course. It simulates some things better than others, but it’s a game, so why should it have to go too far into every detail. It has soo much going on, it would almost be impossible to do. Its great for what it is, the best of its type, an advanced military game world.

Well i know some more Mil/Sim`s which seems to be more advanced then Arma`s

Which are these, and why are they more advanced ?

Interested in examples, I've played many war games over the years, always interested in new ones to look at..:)