Sign in to follow this  
Maio

Arma 3: Confirmed features | info & discussion

Pretty predictable but resource-saving. I think that dynamic destruction won't be any soon a standard in gaming industry, it's really resource heavy. And till we won't see any serious CQC in urbanised areas - i don't think it's as that necessary.

I don't say it would not be nice feature to have but first let someone optimise this kind of physics interaction.

Edited by fragmachine

Is there any word about ArmA III multithreading? Is it going to be fake multithreading with 1 core used and rest running at 5% like in ArmA II or are they finally fixing it?

Is there any word about ArmA III multithreading? Is it going to be fake multithreading with 1 core used and rest running at 5% like in ArmA II or are they finally fixing it?

So, what game do you play actually? :confused:

No, he is right, Arma 2 does things very strangely, no there is no word. On anything. At all.

No he is not right at all.

Try running ArmA2 with 2 cores and 4 and tell me that almost 2x gap in FPS in CPU intensive scenarios (lots of AI) is there because ArmA2 lacked those additional 10% of CPU power according to him.

Can it run better all things considered? Most likely. But majickal optimization? No.

Try running ArmA2 with 2 cores and 4 and tell me that almost 2x gap in FPS in CPU intensive scenarios (lots of AI) is there because ArmA2 lacked those additional 10% of CPU power according to him.

Can it run better all things considered? Most likely. But majickal optimization? No.

ArmA II engine isn't even able to use half of the power of my 6 core CPU which translates to 30% GPU usage. Resulting in 20FPS in towns on big wasteland servers, absolutely laughable optimization.

It's just 1 core being 100% utilized, then the rest 5 cores are sitting almost idle.

Edited by Leopardi

Do you even know what optimization really means? Sure, it doesn't mean an automatic fix to make the game run flawless on any machine, but it DOES mean that the game takes full advantage of the computer's resources, meaning hardware.

Just so that you know, optimization means two things: maximization and minimization - maximization of the most important resources of your computer, and the minimization of less important resources. For a video game, the player should be able to optimize the game to fit the specs of the computer. Sure, BIS can't do that for the player. The user has to b the one to optimize the game to his PC's specs. However, the player can't do that if there's no setting in the game to do that. Now, BIS has been improving in this regard by adding more settings to tweak more features. In Leopardi's case, this means making sure that ArmAIII is able to fully use all cores. That means adding a configurable setting (and hopefully in the Options menu as well as config file) that allows the user to select which cores are utilized for the game.

THIS is optimization. It's not a "majickal" fix for low FPS. But it most certainly means that the game is able to take full advantage of the specific hardware it's running on. So BIS's response to calls for optimization need to be adding more settings. That's the bottom line.

Pretty predictable but resource-saving. I think that dynamic destruction won't be any soon a standard in gaming industry, it's really resource heavy. And till we won't see any serious CQC in urbanised areas - i don't think it's as that necessary.

I don't say it would not be nice feature to have but first let someone optimise this kind of physics interaction.

You can already destroy parts of a building. Takistan buildings can cause a section to collapse, allowing for entry. Yeah it's not specifically a wall - and yes you can't even destroy a door without blowing the whole surrounding to hell but it works to some degree without being resource heavy as you say. I don't think there is a need for full destruction in this series as of yet.

It's just 1 core being 100% utilized, then the rest 5 cores are sitting almost idle.

Wrong, I just ran benchtest2 and had all 6 cores at a steady 50% usage. Feels right on the money to me.

aaaah multi threading ... that thing that 90 % of humanity have no idea on how it works :D

Edited by On_Sabbatical

Iran because NODs in daytime. Mmm... that should be a meme.

Steamworks is also confirmed, though not which features specifically. :)

So, no animation for looking down sights? Sad panda.

Added the KH-2002 and the info about steam. I linked the blog-post under the estimated release date.

Iran because NODs in daytime. Mmm... that should be a meme.

What? Did I miss something? I mean, in reference to the screenshot, it's not like the soldier is looking through the NODs.

Don't really get that one too :) They just put it for presentation thats all. And i don't think it would make a meme (just typing) :)

Nvm...

Edited by Max255[PL]
missclick

Thought I'd also post this here for future reference. Here's a better picture of the backpack.

8g2gej8kwon8nekyuctbmcl.jpg

Edited by AlexVestin

Dat blur.

What? Did I miss something? I mean, in reference to the screenshot, it's not like the soldier is looking through the NODs.

It's called a joke.

Dat blur.

I resized it and altered the contrast. Did my best with the pixels I were given.

Edited by AlexVestin

Wrong, I just ran benchtest2 and had all 6 cores at a steady 50% usage. Feels right on the money to me.

Play some Wasteland on a 70 player server, get in a town like rasman. No more than 30-40% of the whole CPU is utilized with the main core at 100%, and FPS is 20.

Benchtests are useless, singleplayer performance is much much better.