• North Korea
    • Dense Jungle/Swamp
    • Mixed Terrain - Jungle/Mountain/Desert/Plains
    • Cuba
    • Scottish Highlands/Coast
    • China
    • City/Urban

All,

I've been talking with a few of the community map makers about a possible group effort to rapidly build a new high quality map.

We'd be keen to know what type of map the community wants?

Please vote on this poll...

Edited by Tupolov

--i-see-no-poll--

but I would like to see a map similar to sahrani.

Bigger plains like tschernarus and with summer vegetation, I dislike the autum setting of chernarus. The map should have on or two really big cities for some decent street fights and a lot of smaller cities and vilages like on everon. There should also be open land with grass for tank fighting...

Edited by Revoluzer

i would like too see a big map for flying that doesnt take you only 1 min to go to the other side of the map with the eurofighter typhoon and some big cities and also alot smaller villages like on everon, and also a big open field for tank battles etc would be very nice actualy if you have like 3 islands put togethet on one big map and with an ocean between so you also can do sea battles or something like that. the size of the complete map should be about 100km x 100km not sure if this is actualy possible but yeah thats something id like to see in arma :D

Cuba & Urban City would be good. Or combine them both and have a large jungle with a big city like Havanna in the middle.

- that - would - rock :)

Voted Winter! love that look!

But UK or Scottish one would be nice :D

Winter.

What I'd really like to see though is a Mediterranean-themed island; with olive groves, fishing villages, maybe some ruins. Think along the lines of the Italian and Greek islands.

Sahrani probably should have been like that, but ended up as a bit of a rather incoherent hotch-potch between North Africa and Central Europe without the Med.

Id like to see a 10km or 20km helmand province. lots of green zone, compounds and and some desert. it will be a first as no one has ever made a good greenzone map. ive seen a few in production but none of them are Helmand!

something like good old malden/everon.

or Chernarus, but upscaled to full-dimension island w/o serious limitations.

probably slightly mixed/morphed with jungle at edge.

Sakhalin island ? (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Sakhalin all kind of terrain/climate, including sub-tropic :P).

I too would like a green zone Afghanistan type map, many poppy fields and gently sloping or rather flat river valleys. If based off of Helmand, a lot of the green zone as well as more desert or rocky terrain could also be added.

I voted for Libya , it would be interesting what you could come up with in regards to missions. Represent an oil town or a port of some sort, duno. It is a rather sensitive thing right now though, mostly cause its still happening but whatever, i'd still like to see it.

and if it would be Afghanistan I would push towards a map of tora bora, using terrain data and such. Kunar province by Ebanks is really the only map of Afghanistan that has a mostly rugged landscape, another, more 'dry' area would be nice to see.

to have a true community map

i think it would have to be a new unique island

Bohemia Island :)

maybe in the shape of all the ofp islands merged into one

but with desert and ruggy terrian for example

I too would like a green zone Afghanistan type map, many poppy fields and gently sloping or rather flat river valleys. If based off of Helmand, a lot of the green zone as well as more desert or rocky terrain could also be added.

without tools from VBS2 making islands was boooooring work :[

sysiphus/tantal work, probably[looking at pics, how easily if can be done otherwise :-|]

Mixed Terrains - A not so dense forest, valleys, mountains, lakes, small\medium islands around the main land mass, deserts with green zones, small\medium villages and one or two urban areas.

Actually Im only not on dense jungles as they have huge FPS problems and don´t behave like a jungle in the ARMA engine.

PS: Kudos on QOM, such a well done and professional work even outside the game (the whole topic, BISWIKI entry, trailer and intro)

Can't hurt to start with an original idea but IMO you can make ArmA fun in any location, it's the execution of the map that matters most. My favourite custom map is Podagorsk which could actually be thought of as 'just more of the same (Chernarus)' but it's beauty, authenticity and attention to detail keeps me loading it up.

My vote would be for something like Indiana Farmland with a small rural town at the center. Would be great for Red Dawn scenarios, Zombie scenarios or just good ol' Cops & Robbers fun. If that's not serious enough then probably something Gaza-like.

for me, the most important factor is, that the mad shouldn't be set in autumn but in summer or spring with (light) green terrain. Also not so many mountains/hills like on south-east of chernarus

I'm currenlty working on:

- Red Dawn 1984 locations map with a substantal feel of the Sahrani on 3/4 of the parts (woods, euro-feel, mountain & desert).

come on! we want urban map! something like new york must be a big fun! like playing up an invasion scenario, bombing towers, etc, etc. And you will be the first man ever that make great urban map in ARMA history ever :p

I'm currenlty working on:

- Red Dawn 1984 locations map with a substantal feel of the Sahrani on 3/4 of the parts (woods, euro-feel, mountain & desert).

Icebreakr that sounds awesome :)

for me, the most important factor is, that the mad shouldn't be set in autumn but in summer or spring with (light) green terrain. Also not so many mountains/hills like on south-east of chernarus

Hi revoluzzer have you tested this ...?

http://forums.bistudio.com/showthread.php?t=97347

On topic...

Very good idea...:)

i´d like to see winter.... even if that would be most work to have everything (trees, houses etc.) covered with snow.

Something I would like to see is Novigrad and it's surrondings (Chernarus capital city). sure there is no actally photo of how it looks like, but still.

come on! we want urban map! something like new york must be a big fun! like playing up an invasion scenario, bombing towers, etc, etc. And you will be the first man ever that make great urban map in ARMA history ever :p

There were some city maps in OFP, and they are in A2 with the OFPIP mod. One of my old favorites is Gaia.

Personally, I'd like to see an extremely large map, maybe not as large as Normandy2, but close, with an island chain on it.

Mixed Eastern Europe + some highlands + desert'ish area = what made Sahrani so epic!

P.S. also (IMHO) only important places(cities,roadsides,other places of interest) should be super detail - rest could be random woods, plains & swamps.(this would allow for bigger mapsizes(for pilots) & at the same time provide ground combat people(like myself=P) with some detailed CQB/armored combat spots.