Sign in to follow this  
mr_centipede

ARMA 2: OA beta build 78927

DAP this should be fixed / improved already in 1.58 RC - did you test it?

DAP this should be fixed / improved already in 1.58 RC - did you test it?

I test it in latest beta patch. It not fixed. Units do not move to the wounded temamates in combat behaviour.

Did you submit a ticket in the CIT with a demo mission and repro steps yet?

Well as regards anims, ... hmmmm, I played quite a bit of it last night, and I didn't realy find it to intrusive generally, although as Defunkt already mentioned weapon switch with launchers is pretty bloody silly at the moment.

I dont understand what the Poll's intention was on previous beta that added these changes, it was fairly obvious most didn't like them, but they exist, I can see how they are being selective in what to change, but ... it seems the logic is, its going to change anyway, so us people who dont like it must use a mod to "put it back to normal" ... which, I suppose we will have to do.

I can see it now

Truemods - back to 1.57
anims addon :) I say dont fix what isn't broken, or more to the point, cant fix what technically is broken behind the scenes unless we are in Arma3, and use a fudge that mod can do, but that's just me.

BIS cant you have it that you have 2 anim packs, or 2 con-figs, of which only a server switch can say "fast or normal" in options? Or even that option in the main menu?

As regards zooming and optics, has this been tested much on proving grounds PMC map? I know its not major as its DLC and small map, but I realy like that map and using all betas and this one, zooming into the dead trees is a complete FPS killer in places (ATOC is off altogether btw) and I notice now in this map I get a hint of that quick LOD flicker on trees that we came across with Chernarus some betas back.

Edited by mrcash2009

i really dislike opf:dr, but please look at the AT-switch animation at 0:40 :butbut:

While we´re at it: the movements (stance changes) in opf:dr feel way more natural and realistic than those in ArmA2 atm...should give people something to think about :p

(If we had those in ArmA2 I´d be lucky)

Edited by @ST

FPS when looking through scopes is a bit better. But on cherna i have still the orange trees FPS slow down. Also zooming (right mouse button, without scope) is still a FPS killer.

The M4 reloading animation in OFP DR looks also realy good.

Edited by bensdale

- The AT switch is way too fast.

- Reload is probably too fast too.

I can probably live with the rest... but it never stroke me as a problem before.

Do reload animations (or better gestures) get broadcasted in MP now or are they still local only ?

(haven't tested the new beta patches or 1.58RC in MP yet, but I guess it's still the same as before)

Xeno

Do reload animations (or better gestures) get broadcasted in MP now or are they still local only ?

(haven't tested the new beta patches or 1.58RC in MP yet, but I guess it's still the same as before)

Xeno

they are still local only - you need a addon to get them broadcasted in MP

they are still local only - you need a addon to get them broadcasted in MP

I'm aware that such an addon exists (or how to make such an addon myself :)), that's not the point, but it's 2011 and all gestures should be visible on all clients without any addons.

Xeno

I'm aware that such an addon exists (or how to make such an addon myself :)), that's not the point, but it's 2011 and all gestures should be visible on all clients without any addons.

Xeno

yes thats true - you know BIS is kinda lazy about these things :p

I wanted some small features and they said no :(

Smart work BIS! Though unit's animation a little bit too fast, but the grenade throwing problem has been fixed! Good!

Hope the First Aid Model (Drag wounded teammates) and the animation speed can be improved, thanks.

My thoughts on...

Animations Speed:

Jog and running seems a bit too fast for a geared soldier. If theres no way to differentiate a full gear soldier to a shirt+pistol only unit, I prefer a slower speed.

All to\from prone position are too fast. To\from crouch is a little too fast, just a little.

Prone speed seems a little too fast. Crouch is fine.

Granades related are fine.

Reloading is TOO fast.

(those next are more suggestions then feedback)

Animations on general (not related to beta):

All Binos\Range Finder related animations are fucked up. The statics ones are fine, but once you start moving is a mess. Weapon transition from\to also are a mess.

Pistol related are funny and awkward. All of them.

Unarmed are funny, awkward and too rigid.

MG and AT weapons:

Its sad for a self called "Ultimate Military Simulator" the way those weapons are handled. BF2\BC2, OFPDR and even COD have better animations and handling differences for those.

Every launcher is muzzle reloaded, don´t need any preparation time, don´t behave like the real ones and the ones the should be,aren´t disposable.

If nothing can be done to change those for this generation of games, take note for a possible A3 game.

AI:

Better then never.

Next steps should be units+building interactions and units-proximities. (tank spotted? Free TOW\dead fried with an AT? Unit should use it; close encounters = fast or\and believable reactions)

AI+vehicles interaction\use should be reworked.

My thoughts on...

Animations Speed:

Jog and running seems a bit too fast for a geared soldier. If theres no way to differentiate a full gear soldier to a shirt+pistol only unit, I prefer a slower speed.

All to\from prone position are too fast. To\from crouch is a little too fast, just a little.

Prone speed seems a little too fast. Crouch is fine.

Granades related are fine.

Reloading is TOO fast.

(those next are more suggestions then feedback)

Animations on general (not related to beta):

All Binos\Range Finder related animations are fucked up. The statics ones are fine, but once you start moving is a mess. Weapon transition from\to also are a mess.

Pistol related are funny and awkward. All of them.

Unarmed are funny, awkward and too rigid.

MG and AT weapons:

Its sad for a self called "Ultimate Military Simulator" the way those weapons are handled. BF2\BC2, OFPDR and even COD have better animations and handling differences for those.

Every launcher is muzzle reloaded, don´t need any preparation time, don´t behave like the real ones and the ones the should be,aren´t disposable.

If nothing can be done to change those for this generation of games, take note for a possible A3 game.

AI:

Better then never.

Next steps should be units+building interactions and units-proximities. (tank spotted? Free TOW\dead fried with an AT? Unit should use it; close encounters = fast or\and believable reactions)

Agreed! Especially about reload times being far too fast. MGs and AT need to take much longer to reload/prepare.

Edited by Nyles

Hope the First Aid Model (Drag wounded teammates) and the animation speed can be improved, thanks.

Dragging a injured buddy into a safe zone is a really nice idea (yes, also men cry in rare emotional moments...) but sometimes this gets me killed because the drag option is only accessible from certain angles towards the injured. Is it possible to improve that a bit?

My thoughts on...

AI:

Better then never.

Agreed with this a lot. Instead of the AI just waiting to get slaughtered by enemy armor the squad leader should find means to destroy it either himself or by ordering a subordinate. Would make a lot of sense too if there were more probability for what launchers were picked up by AI. For example, if there is an AT4 and RPG7 lying around some US soldiers they would be much more likely to use the AT4 than the RPG7 simply based on training and familiarity. Having the soldier drop it after the ammo has expired wouldn't be a bad idea either, I can already see myself somewhere in Takistan after a large battle and an entire squad coming out mismatched with different AT weapons on there backs.

For anything static (M2, MK19, KORD, etc..) the same rule should apply, soldiers should only use the weapon if necessary and the probability should be favored by which side it represents. It would make firefights more interesting if you shot out an enemy MG emplacement only to have them get back on a few minutes later. The only thing I can see happening with that is AI soldiers stacking up basically, making it so that the second the MG gunner dies, another soldier already jumps back on. Maybe make a time limit, say something like thirty seconds (for the AI only) to prevent that.

This is shaping up to be a happy medium. Other then figuring out what to do with the reloading and launcher readying complaints, I would suggest as others already have, to at least revert back to the "1.58 RC" run speeds if not slower.

In this beta all running speeds are back to default and slowing down the run speeds seemed to be the one area that most testers liked. Sprint could also be slightly slower as it feels like your pushing into Olympic sprinter territory, but there hasn't been much feedback on that.

All the "sky is falling!" responses from before makes me wonder if most of the same people would be complaining if these changes were in the game from the start and were changed to ArmA2 1.0 speeds with the fast running & slow transitions. Yes, it's a bad idea to throw something as drastic as this into the game after release without feedback first, but now they are taking the right steps by gathering feedback and adjusting where necessary, so now you have a chance to play test (yes, actually play with it for a least a few sessions, not a few minutes or not base your opinion on a few videos) and give feedback!

I've played quite a bit with this new beta, and my impression is that most anim speeds are okay. The running is a bit too fast, as is sprinting.

My major gripe is launchers. They handle like a piece of Styrofoam, and reloading them is way too fast, and always has been. Dragon Rising was quoted before, and while I don't need the "put-on-the-floor-to-assemble" anim (as good as it looks), I think that reloading a launcher should take that long.

My real-life experience with AT launchers is limited to the Carl Gustaf/MAAWS, but I know that they handle very different and reloading them takes a lot longer than in the game.

I like the new beta 78927. I have played several missions during my regular scripting, testing and such so these new features and changes have been in the background for me..I like that to compensate active testing because sometimes you get influenced by placebo effects and do worse rather than better, in terms of making yourself an opinion.

I like all posture animation speeds, in all combinations. I think these new speed settings work well in influencing the game mechanics positively. Since ArmA has this conceptual pause when units perform animations (e.g. Move-PAUSE to lower weapon-move-PAUSE to raise weapon) these new speeds compensate for the engine structure. In addition I think they are better for tense situations where sometimes It was looking like being too calm and relaxed as a virtual soldier even when being fired upon eheh

Launcher animations could be slower, I agree with most people and I have to say I have NO real weapons experience, so take it for what it is. I imagine I would be much slower handling those things in real life..I also remember footage and documentaries to show slower movements even with M72 or M136 which I think should fall in the "light" category of launchers.

Running, yes maybe it could be a tad slower, I know I would not sprint like that. Not that it does not work, but a little slower could be more realistic.

Engine wise I am reading some very good FPS improvements, probably related to less FPS drops rather than higher peaks.

My specs are:

I5 2.7Ghz

4Gb Corsair Dominator RAM

OCZ Vertex SSD drive

ATI 5870 Vapor-X 1Gb

Windows 7 Ultimate 64bit SP1

ATI Catalyst 11.2

I play at 1280x720 60Hz

In game settings ALL to VERY HIGH and Anisotropic Filter forced to 16x in the CCC, V-Sync OFF - view distance 2600m, AA to High in Box mode, Adaptive Multi-Sample

Gameplay video performance has really come closer to what I call "official trailer quality" meaning the one smoothness that we all dream of.

I haven't been able to test the improved Signature Check because we run a Linux Server and as far as I know there is no way to install a beta on a dedicated, right?

All in all, great job. I hope you find my feedback useful and carefully made in terms of details and information. I tried not to write just "woot" or "keewl" as I know those are of little use to developers.

Edited by Reezo

I'm aware that such an addon exists (or how to make such an addon myself ), that's not the point, but it's 2011 and all gestures should be visible on all clients without any addons.

Xeno

^this

At least the reload animations should be visible so that I can see if my squad members are reloading.

^this

At least the reload animations should be visible so that I can see if my squad members are reloading.

Yeah, good thing they fixed horns in MP (until next patch)

+1

Overall, I'm pleased with the modifications that come with this new beta patch, including the animations.

Just to summarise, for others, what kind of performance, I am now getting with this patch v.158.78927 versus a previous beta patch from July last year v.1.52.71900, which is the last time i made a comparison, with betas.

In both test sessions, I ran the arma 2 Mark v1.0 mission available here:

http://forums.bistudio.com/showthread.php?t=73610

I also have not changed any of my hardware, operating system or video or audio settings since the first test session.

Test session 1 July 2010

Arma 2 Beta patch v.1.52.71900

My score was 4297

Test session 2 March 2011

Arma 2 Beta patch v.1.58.78927

My score was 4972

Approx' 15% increase in score (performance).

Thanks BIS, much appreciated

Edited by the chief
corrected beta version number from july 2010

I like all posture animation speeds, in all combinations. I think these new speed settings work well in influencing the game mechanics positively. Since ArmA has this conceptual pause when units perform animations (e.g. Move-PAUSE to lower weapon-move-PAUSE to raise weapon) these new speeds compensate for the engine structure. In addition I think they are better for tense situations where sometimes It was looking like being too calm and relaxed as a virtual soldier even when being fired upon eheh

Thank you for articulating what I felt instinctively but could never quite formulate :D

Sure speeded up aint quite as good as brand spanking new animations -but I'd rather the virtual soldiers look like their a little frantic then "ho-hum, I'm being shot at, time to maybe pull out a weapon" -lackadaisically.

Now if only we could get flinch when shot....

Played this beta over the weekend. 2-thumbs-up on the animation changes, and 3 thumbs up on the scoped performance increase.

I do seem to have a little more stutter and my FPS isnt as high as in the 78xxx betas, but that may have just been a config issue with mods or something...

I am testing the new animation now, a few comments:

normal running seems to be too fast, would be better if it is slower, would be even better if the rifle are holding up pointing to the front and can be fire as well while having a crappy aim, but it seems too much to ask for...

sprint still seems using too much stamina, some might think with too many stamina sprint will be too unbalance, good point and i agree, this however, can be fix by reducing sprint speed as well to balance out the stamina gain

walking speed is spot on, however the gun could make a bit more stable

stance transitions is OK

throwing is OK given that you guys are not likely going to change any amination, otherwise I will have some nice.... thing to say about it

transitioning from rifle to any shoulder launch weapon is only a little bit too fast

reloading or transitioning from any shoulder launch weapon to rifle is way too fast

reloading a rifle, new system takes about 3 secound, IRL depend on what type of reload and how much you train for it, you can do it in between 2.5 secound for a speed reload to a 5.5 for a tactical reload(where you have to retain the mag, which most soldier needs to whenever possible even if they empty the mag since their mag are GI stuff, or are expensive stuff like a PMAG), personally I would like a happy medium between 4 to 4.5 secound of time taken

reloading a hand gun takes about 3.5 secound, which is pretty spot on if you are doing a tac reload

time taken to transition between a rifle and a hand gun is acturally OK, a full 2.5 secound would be a more realistic choose through, the thing is, however, given that all the hand gun related animation are basicly very bad and makes somethings like transition to hand gun for example to be very wired and inefficient, it makes people feels that the speed is too fast, then again, since its not likely to change any amination, otherwise I will have some nice.... thing to say about it

last but not least Binoculars related animations are still very bugged when changing stance, the avatar still do something like: looking through the binoculars=>go crouch/prone=>put away the binoculars=>draw out primary/secoundary=>put away primary/secoundary=>brings up binoculars=look though It again

please, for god sakes, fix it

this is my personal opinion from my first impression on the animations change

Edited by 4 IN 1