Sign in to follow this  
Second

MultiDiscussion : TES5: Skyrim, BattleField 3, COD, R6 etc.

Where did you get the idea that it "failed", exactly? Or did you just not like it and decided that it's "failed" for everyone else, too?

What exactly did it do negatively? As far as I am aware, we got some great new units, vehicles, weapons, enjoyable campaigns and missions, and some new features like ingame video playback, working shotguns, etc. thanks to BAF and PMC. On top of that, everyone got said engine improvements as well as a Lite version of both DLCs so as to keep multiplayer compatibility. Unless you know something I don't, I would consider it successful.

i'm not even a fan of some of the DLC bis has put out, but it never "failed" for me. i still bought it. sooo.. i'm not sure where you're getting this idea from.

So what would you call BAF and PMC? And even Arrowhead?
Don't bring logic into a debate on the internet please.

Two of those are just cheap DLCs and I wasn't aware any ARMA product was getting propped up with continual 90+% reviews anyway, which was the entire point of the post. Arrowhead is a discounted expansion pack as well. Not a full release.

I think the DLC's are shallow and haven't bought any but there's no comparison to COD's release model and lack of progress.

There's also a distinct difference between huge open world games full of massive feature sets and 5 hour linear corridor shooters when you are talking about expectations of evolution in gameplay. One game is already pushing the boundaries. The other isn't.

Edited by bonchie

Schwarzwald? Man I hated that map. Especially the race with '75 3.3L 911 Turbo on it. '73 911 Carrera RS was pretty tricky as well.

The 3.3 was a killer in that level, always threw its arse out at the wrong time. Talk about steering with a single keypress.

They just shouldn't send such foxy interviewers into the geeks lair - I could feel those guys sweating it up :p

OT: 1st day buy for me. Animations are just sick.

Don't forget BIS don't force you to buy the DLC by giving you a lesser quality version so that you may still play with whoever is using the DLC. Plus if anything each game release and expansion has brought something new to the table be it scripting commands or unit functions.

Leaning, hand signals, medic system, FLIR, flash lights, adjusted NVG's, attach to and so on.

Yeah, that Brit ain't half bad.

I'm actually looking forward to BF3. Which is amazing, because BF2 vanilla was a steaming pile of parachute spam.

@bonchie

You downplay Arrowhead's importance but it's actually more functional and advanced than ArmA 2...

Wait, if arrowhead is an expansion, and expansions require you to have the original game, the aside from the logic that it expands from the original if you have it, but you don't NEED to have the original to play it...how is it an expansion rather than stand alone?

If the vanilla game kicks ass, why not?

It sucks they haven't promised any tools, but they really haven't given a 100% NO on that yet.

Most of the Battlefield vets were expecting a hell of a lot less then whats been shown so far. Up until the first videos appeared most everyone was convinced it was

going to be nothing more then BC3 with slightly larger maps and a few extra weapons.

It actually looks like it might be a full-fledgled Battlefield game with tolerable elements from BC2.

Wow, it's as if there are some sim elements (the back kick and whatnot) combined with a game..very nice. Aside from wake being a classic I don't understand why it's in the pack though, in BF2 it just meant if you were USMC you had a great chance of being carrier bombed and peninsula tanked the whole round, still I must admit that tidbit is a nice nod.

These all sound and look wonderful, can't wait to see more.

Really can't wait any longer for Battlefield 3! All those great games which will be released in fall 2011...

I think what makes Arrowhead fall into the 'expansion'-category is that it can be merged with ArmA2 to make a single larger game, rather than two standalones that cannot use eachothers' content.

I can't see how anyone can buy a PC game without modding tools.

LOl, every game you've ever had on your hardrive also contained the sdk?

Like stated, if a PC game is really that -a game developed using strong new technologies and challenging the tech bar as opposed to a console port -then its very worthwhile for me to check out.

Really depends on the game -Crysis 2 doesn't look interesting to me even tho they are reportedly releasing mod tools this summer -so a no buy. BF3 looks stunning and I don't just mean the visuals, the engine itself looks extremely fun to play in so regardless of tool release, it's most likely a buy.

Of course, I'd rather they release the mod tools as well but it's not a deal breaker.

Operation arrowhead price 40 dollars on launch

Content

Shitloads

Call of Duty Modern warfare 3 price 60 dollars on launch

content

reskinned maps

new 5 hour campaign

hardly any engine changes

The EA PR department is subscribed to Bohemia's Youtube and Twitter account.

DICE is also well aware that a ton of Battlefield vets are looking forward to Red Orchestra 2, everyone on their forum says R02 is a day 1 purchase.

BF3 on the other hand is still wait and see.....

Project Reality for Arma is getting a lot of attention also.

There's also the fact that DICE finally acknowledged that consoles are holding back advancements in games.

Edited by jblackrupert

There's also the fact that DICE finally acknowledged that consoles are holding back advancements in games.

This isn't necessarily a bad thing though. It means that competition by graphics is more difficult and means that the games (ideally) need to have something else to distinguish them.

Unfortunately it doesn't really work like that in practice, but I hope that it has to an extent lead to more imaginative and content-rich games.

Nice idea but sitting down on a couch with just a few available buttons and a window of opportunity likely defined by a household's TV viewing schedule isn't really going to be conducive to a very 'deep' gaming experience.

Am i the only one, or did the level design in recent CODs (MW1<) suck ass? I loved every map in MW1, but the rest of the franchises (didn't play WaW) are just plain awful in that regard.

NOTE: Arma DLC's still contain far more content than CoD DLC, and are invariably cheaper.

I will play this, because i genuinely liked the story from MW1/2, however whether i buy or rent is question.

Am i the only one who HATES the visual style of Frostbite with a passion? Up close everything looks like a patchwork quilt, and only looks good from a distance and even then the detail is questionable, nothing looks like it has depth. I still play BFBC2, but Frostbite really irks the hell out of me.

LOl, every game you've ever had on your hardrive also contained the sdk?

Like stated, if a PC game is really that -a game developed using strong new technologies and challenging the tech bar as opposed to a console port -then its very worthwhile for me to check out.

Really depends on the game -Crysis 2 doesn't look interesting to me even tho they are reportedly releasing mod tools this summer -so a no buy. BF3 looks stunning and I don't just mean the visuals, the engine itself looks extremely fun to play in so regardless of tool release, it's most likely a buy.

Of course, I'd rather they release the mod tools as well but it's not a deal breaker.

1. Arma 3 is your new Crysis, pushing the envelope. BF3 won't be.

2. Not every game i own is on my HDD, i also have a console for those games which don't present a modding scene.

3. There are no Crysis 2 mod tools, but there is CryENGINE3 available for free, so indirectly it has modding.

4. DICE have stated that the modding scene is "dying", conveniently leaving out the part where devs refuse to release modding tools themselves. Its all in preparation for DLC, and thats why this is such an issue, they're all chasing the $$$ represented by DLC, and i personally do not like the trend.

Crytek also said that at some stage during Crysis 2 development...and that didn't turn out as good as it should have.

http://www.bit-tech.net/news/gaming/2011/04/26/crysis-2-mod-tools-due-early-summer/1

Crytek has confirmed that it will soon release free modding tools for Crysis 2, as well as a full CryENGINE 3 developer's kit further down the line.

The confirmation came in an open letter from Crytek CEO Cervat Yerli, where he said that the basic modding tools would be ready by early Summer. These tools will allow people to create new maps, items and other in-game content.

Just stating what I read :)