Sign in to follow this  
Second

MultiDiscussion : TES5: Skyrim, BattleField 3, COD, R6 etc.

Didn't Bungie do this same thing for free?

Edited by NodUnit

pay 60$ + 9.99$ monthly fee for "Elite" customer service...

http://online.wsj.com/article/SB10001424052702304563104576355310423496054.html?mod=WSJ_hp_LEFTTopStories

I think producer + publisher are just trying to milk squeeze everyone.

More of Kotick's plan to turn the gaming industry into one huge cash grab.

F*ck him and F*ck CoD.

Support BIS, ED etc as it's all we have left at this point.

ArmA 3

hah yeah that's why i probably won't buy any parts or games until ArmA's released, got to save up for my liquid cooled quantum computer so i can play it on medium with 1000m view distance

:D

Next thing you know they'll charge you for extra fps, 50 bullet mags and a better bullet recognition. Give them the finger and they'll rip your arm off.

That calmed you down? you didn´t read carefully. Of course you don´t have to sign up on this service, but you will miss out all the new maps and so on.

Anyone agrees that Kotick is a greedy prick?

You mean like unable to have extra maps that come as DLC for MW2 and BO right now? 15eur for 5/4+1 maps.

I didnt buy DLCs anyway becouse I do not support such actions as well as I liked one map per DLC, tops two. 18 or so maps that come with the game for 50eur is enough for me. After I get borring with that Im sick of CoD anyway.

This video migh be of interest to some.

This is the same man who suggested that we should pay for cutscenes at 20 dollars a pop.

Nah surely he doesn't have his head stuck that far up his ass.

Nah surely he doesn't have his head stuck that far up his ass.

http://www.escapistmagazine.com/forums/read/7.232663-Kotick-Itching-to-Sell-Cutscenes-As-Films

Speaking about these cutscenes, Kotick said: "If we were to take that hour, or hour and a half, take it out of the game, and we were to go to our audiences for whom we have their credit card information as well as a direct relationship and ask, 'Would you like to have the StarCraft movie?', my guess is that ... you'd have the biggest opening weekend of any film ever."

He guesses that such a product could be priced at around $20 to $30, but any pricing at this point is pure speculation. "Within the next five years, you are likely to see us do that," he added. These "movies" would be distributed online directly to consumers from Activision.

Huh, I wonder why company executives don't have the common sense to see that these ideas would infuriate their customers and more instead... Why not just make a CGI movie if you're going to do that. I guess he's also not counting on youtube.

Edited by NodUnit

Because Kotick cares about money and nothing else. It's all about the next mechanism he can devise to separate people from their money.

Don't get me wrong, business is about making money, but you can mix the capatalism with creativity and inspiration (see ArmA 2 or A-10) and not just uninhibited greed at the expense of everything else.

As for infuriating his customer base:

In an interview, Activision Chief Executive Bobby Kotick said he isn't worried about pushback from gamers about the Call of Duty Elite fee because players will still be able to compete against each other online without subscribing to the service. While he is coy about many of the offerings that will be included in the service, Mr. Kotick said Call of Duty Elite, and the customer-service operation that will be needed to support it, wouldn't be possible if the service was free. "This is an enormous investment," he said.

I guess he figures that there are enough people who just hit the 'buy now' button without even thinking when it comes to the next 'new and shiny' distraction for the masses. Unfortunately, he may be on the right track with that particular assumption.

Edited by BangTail

Well there is business and flat out greedy, making a game then taking the cutscenes out to sell them has no means of justification unless the price of the game itself drops because these days cutscenes count for a lot. Why not start charging for the price of two games if it comes with two discs, or perhaps make a bare texture and simple model version, charge the same for that and then charge more for the "actual" version.

Edited by NodUnit

In a better world, these nefarious practices would result in nonexistent sales, consequent lack of repeat business and the firing of those responsible.

This is not that world :(

Edited by BangTail

I'm just not sure which is more depressing, the fact that it could sell or the fact that some idiot out there would actually try and defend it.

Edited by NodUnit

I got to upgrade my PC for:

Starcraft 2 Heart of the Swarm

Diablo 3

Arma 3

Battlefield 3

Elder Scrolls 5 Skyrim

RAGE

Plenty of awesome games that would benefit from a way newer GPU and faster CPU.

my 9800gt has done its job its time for it to retire and be in the hands of someone less fortunate. :)

Diablo 3

Arma 3

Battlefield 3

Elder Scrolls 5 Skyrim

Mass Effect 3

RAGE

my 9800gt has done its job its time for it to retire and be in the hands of someone less fortunate. :)

oh hai fixerated

You guys forget

Batman: ArkhamCity

Death to Spies 3

The Old Republic

DeusEx

Warhammer40k: SpaceMarine

all good fun

:)

This is not that world
I think this IS this world. It just have to happen.

Business is subject to evolution, whatever works, works. Whatever doesn't, dies.

You forget the Witcher 2 as well guys, cmon.

Anyway, here's a vid without all the talk. I praise the graphics of ArmA2, but loo at that first scene. :butbut:

so exactly how many of you will insultate this game and at the same time saying" fuck off im just for a2 waiting for a3" but in fact you'll play it?

this sort of ancestral dichotomy going on this forum should end :D

Diablo 3

Arma 3

Battlefield 3

Elder Scrolls 5 Skyrim

RAGE

Yes you should, your PC is terrible. And i've been waiting a long time to say that to someone. :D

Yes you should, your PC is terrible. And i've been waiting a long time to say that to someone. :D

god ben you should have gotten yourself a proper gfx card...

god ben you should have gotten yourself a proper gfx card...

Oh now i've not got a pentium anymore you've found something else to moan about instead? :p Actually the first thing to go back onto my HDD is ArmA2.

The GTS250 isn't too bad, I'll upgrade inevitably along with the other bits I didn't upgrade (like Optical Drives and the HDD), but that can wait.

By the end of the year, perhaps this system will be able to play BF. :)

@Ben

WHAT?

My computer aint shitty, the only component outdated is the GPU, the CPU is still fine I just would like some extra horsepower when Arma 3 comes out which is still a year away.

U just mad.

@CameronMcDonald

I didnt actually enjoy Mass Effect 2 that much, call me crazy but Bioware ruined ME for me doubt I will even get ME3.

Gameplay was meh and the planets were way too damn linear the only good ones are the few character sideplots.

I didn't think I would like the Mass Effect series until Cole pressured me into trying them. Only after I had my mind blown by both of them, easily turning them into two of my favorite games of all time, and reading articles about them, did I ever sit back and think about how little the events of ME2 must have meant in the long run.

Despite the shortcomings of the story that were revealed to me I still had my mind blown while I was playing it. I think that was the case for most initially, but it looks as if people then jumped on the hating bandwagon, especially when ME3 was announced.

/offtopic :p