Sign in to follow this  
SteveJA

The Next Terrain . . . Your Thoughts

Which Terrian would you like to see?  

128 members have voted

1. 1. Which Terrian would you like to see?

• Paradise Island (Eg Pacific isles)
    • Winter Wounderland (Eg Finland:)
    • Sahara Woodland (Eg African plains)
    • American Suburbs (Eg really?)
    • British Woodland (My home!)
    • Post Apocalyptic (like PG but larger)
    • Steamy Swampland (Eg errrr Google)
    • Rainy Rainforest (Eg Brazil)
    • Shifty Shantytown
    • Other . . (prolly better) ideas

I voted African Plains since, hey, that'd be pretty damned awesome (no offence to IcebreakR's Duala! - in fact that'd be something to aim for, really).

If I could vote a second time I'd vote winter wonderland, with accompanying snow troops, tanks, houses etc - hell, I'd love for a "summer/winter" version of Chernarus, would make for some awesome campaigns! Only problem with this: almost 100% of addon vehicles and units would be useless for this terrain, leaving us with just the standard stuff (right now you can use USMC soldiers in Takistan, and US soldiers in Chernarus, provided you give them M4's instead of those desert-camo'd SCARs).

Anyway. :) Good stuff!

Regards,

Wolfrug

I would like a snowy mountainous region of Northern Takistan, possibly adding more trees and terrain similar to Chernarus and Russia in the northern most border areas of the map. Would be a nice blend of desert, forest, and snowy terrain.

A map based off of a Western country would be nice too, for invasion type missions.

A very large Central Europe map. 4x chernarus size or more. Gentle rolling terrain (less hilly than Chernarus) with scattered small villages and forests. Wouldn't be that much of a resource hog. Perfect Cold War/WW2 map. Good for mechanized troops, armor and helicopters.

I'd love this. Make it a little more modernized in parts of the towns/cities. Everything else keep it just like you said. Gently rolling terrain and don't make the trees so thick that they became a nuisance.

What I'd really like to see is either a large or REALLY large map that covers most terrains in the real world. Make it somewhat like Sahrani, how there was desert at one end and heavily wooded areas at another. The difference this time though would be a heavily wooded area to the north, mountains to the northwest with snow in various parts (valleys in between, on the tops of the mountains) with sparse vegetation except for maybe some bushes and pine trees. The entire southern area wouldn't exactly be desert, but more like very gently rolling terrain with a mix with clear parts and grassland. Maybe a few trees. City's could be modernized either just like or a little more than the ones on Chernarus. The towns would be a little less then the cities, but somewhat similar. It could easily even be the terrain in between Takistan and Chernarus.

Another idea I had, make map like Takistan with the sparse vegetation, but instead make it a more woodland/dirt terrain like area. Something like the Falkland islands but tweaked a little more so combined arms would actually be effective and not one sided (ex: infantry on open ground gets mowed down with no element of surprise really, makes it just for armor and air battles).

I'd like a winter map, but it would have to have a working snow system integrated into the map and/or engine. Any modder can just throw on a couple snow textures onto an island.

No worse place on Earth than American suburbs, but I imagine they would be hell to fight. Cover everywhere, but almost none of it hard enough, and no natural lines of defense. Everything mixed up together in one big no-man's land of houses and streets.

Fookin' mental, man!

sb10067748m-001.jpg?v=1&c=IWSAsset&k=2&d=EDF6F2F4F969CEBDCDC61DB31DCF38D51C8B733DE2CC97949E58D05C996EECC677F9049EB06448B0

Edited by Laqueesha

Jungle or African map would be awesome. Wouldnt introduce a new, unconventional enemy to the ArmA series.

A proper frozen wasteland type map would be great aswell, basically what SwissMAG said.

I really just want BIS to drop the Takistan Conflict, it's getting drawn out. I think I can speak for most of us is that we are wanting something more than desert by now. I wish they would drop the Takistan Conflict and focus on small conflicts that could be portrayed in a DLC, giving them the opportunity to make new, more exciting terrains.

So We've seen a few terrian types through BI games. We now have desert, post apocalipc and easten euroupe in BI offical A2 maps. So the question is simple. If you could decide on the next terrian type, which would you like to see?

Personaly i would like to see a snowey mountainous map, something similar to scotland in the winter (as it is now, maybe without the traffic problems haha). Maybe half populated with the other half mountainous with pine, and holy being the most popular vegitation.

an Island like the one in Just Cause 2 would be sweet.

lots of variation.

big urban west city , we already have snow ,desert,forest, and jungle why not a big city ?

I did this little "new york city" in Chernarus using charon's addons.

screenshots:

http://img221.imageshack.us/img221/273/arma2oa2010121103440067.jpg

http://img574.imageshack.us/img574/8797/arma2oa2010121103455270.jpg

http://img27.imageshack.us/img27/8854/arma2oa2010121103460346.jpg

http://img814.imageshack.us/img814/2533/arma2oa2010121103464764.jpg

so i think it's not so hard make a big city .

edit:i mean it's not so hard to make a simple not so detailed city

Edited by zombo

So Winter Wounderland screams into the lead with American Suburbs closing the gap!

I must admit American suburbs would be a challange, maybe a ruined american suburb! fighting over freeways and flash lights and other american stuff haha.

Post Apocalyptic would be fun... Scavenging for fuel, ammo and all that while fighting a war... But I guess not really ArmA style..

So Winter Wounderland screams into the lead with American Suburbs closing the gap!

I must admit American suburbs would be a challange, maybe a ruined american suburb! fighting over freeways and flash lights and other american stuff haha.

Epic win!

I think areas that could pass as post-apocalyptic, such as wartorn landscapes would be better than "actual" post-apocalyptic terrain. It wouldn't exactly tie in with the rest of the series otherwise. Western European and North American terrain would be too implausible for open conflict.

I'd like to see BIS make a big tundra-esque map within the Takistan/Chernarus region.

http://www.digitalculture.co.uk/images/central_tibet.jpg

http://rst.gsfc.nasa.gov/Sect6/TibetanPlateau3.jpg

http://travel-china.net/imagesen/new/1/rongchag-tibetan-village2.jpg

That'd make a good mix of new scenary, open expanses, and detailed little villages. There are simply too many settlements, too close together on Takistan and Chernarus.

Edited by Daniel

I think areas that could pass as post-apocalyptic, such as wartorn landscapes would be better than "actual" post-apocalyptic terrain. It wouldn't exactly tie in with the rest of the series otherwise. Western European and North American terrain would be too implausible for open conflict.

I'd like to see BIS make a big tundra-esque map within the Takistan/Chernarus region.

That'd make a good mix of new scenary, open expanses, and detailed little villages. There are simply too many settlements, too close together on Takistan and Chernarus.

+1 Dan the Man

I would also like something that AI vehicle path finding is not sh*t (especially tracked vehicles).

Proving Grounds is a great terrain and a larger scale would be awesome. Flat but with enough difference in the elevation to hide movement and actually sneak and peek. I know they tried some new grid size for making it giving it more detail but also little bit less fps. It plays smooth still though. I also would like to see BI fix the geometry LODS on some of those trees that I get caught up in constantly. So hopefully the can make a large scale flatter terrain (like proving grounds) that is playable for all and has the detail that proving grounds has in it now

A island like sharani...a paradise island with palms, hotels, entreable buildings and many airports...

A bagdad map with entreable buildings will be great too.

Siberia, Finland or somewhere like that, mainly just because it would be pretty :P

More of Chernarus to see how things pan out there :P perhaps more hunting war criminals and Russia playing a lead role?

Maybe either a more mountainous Takistan or a more lowland one with a larger city for more ION action :P

Something along the lines of Korengal Valley, "Takistani" but lots of vegetation. Fits the OA units, and expands upon what we've already got.

American Suburbs (Eg really?) Yes, really.

Lot's of good ideas. I especially liked mankyles idea of the separate islands. I loved the MP missions in Arma (Sahrani) that took place on the islands in the top of map, where you fought over the 2 or 3 small islands. I can't remember details for shit, but I'm sure a few of you remember that.

Winter... yes, would like that in any environment.

I might be one of the few to see the potential in the new proving grounds map. It's got the second neatest terrain I've seen yet, Lingor being my favorite at the moment. Of course I wish it was bigger, but it really could be used for some great CTF, DM, TDM type stuff as it is now.

But most of all I'd like to see American suburbs, knowing full well what the performance aspects would require, more than anything. Whether it be a city block, a small town, or New York City... I don't care. I'd just like to see something a little more 'western' in the game. Jade Groove kind of had a southwest USA feel to it but I'm looking more suburban.

Russian invasion on US (lil red dawn there) in american suburbs. You should play Russian soldier, some Spets Naz, some tanks and some air missions. EW style mission with black ka52 would be just amazing. Russian voices in cutscenes. I would just love something like that.

Second map could be winter mountain woodland terrain with lots of tight roads, serpentines and such.

Other scenario could be like US vs. china with Koreans as well. You could play as Chinese or Korean.

Or maybe a conflict where EU would be the main blufor.

Any of these would be a lot of work though and would probably be a whole new game/huge expansion pack.

Russian invasion on US (lil red dawn there) in american suburbs. You should play Russian soldier, some Spets Naz, some tanks and some air missions. EW style mission with black ka52 would be just amazing. Russian voices in cutscenes. I would just love something like that.

Exactly what I had in mind too.

You could always just do a combination of 2 or more of the above options. Like currently where I am, it's a combination American Suburb and Winter Wonderland. (in the midst of a blizzard as I type) :p

winter land is more then a white texture - new models new house models with snow trees bushes too new ground and impackt sounds .

a good winterland ist to many work i think.

i will a new big land with european houses and landscape middle europe in summer or spring.

with low hill big lakes and a huge river.

a very nice tankerland with detail ground ( pmc landscape )

a good palace on a hill like castle hohenstaufen.

big woods with rocks and trenches so not all tanks can drive in the woods and mnany smal ways in the wood.

fields with plants ..............

I'd like to see a large map with huge, flat open desert areas which would be conducive to long range tank battles. I find that the mountains in Takistan partition the map into a patchwork of much smaller maps and that it's difficult to use assets like tanks at their maximum effective ranges.