Sign in to follow this  
stupidwhitekid75

Russia, return or someone new?

Russia, return or someone new?  

262 members have voted

1. 1. Russia, return or someone new?

• I'd like to see Russia return.
    • I'd like to see another modernized army become the new OPFOR
    • I'd like to see some type of guerrilla force become the new OPFOR.
    • I'm happy with what we have now.

I wouldnt call the Russians-chechyan war unbalanced. How long has that war been going on? Russia couldn't even take over Afghanistan and they aren't able to take Chechnya. But I should cut some slack for them on afghan. Mountainous warfare is challenging.

Especially in 1994-1996, when chechens had everything from rifles to 152-mm self-propellered howitzers and Grad systems.

I wouldnt call the Russians-chechyan war unbalanced. How long has that war been going on? Russia couldn't even take over Afghanistan and they aren't able to take Chechnya. But I should cut some slack for them on afghan. Mountainous warfare is challenging.

The war wasn't unbalanced at first period when rebels got control on all weapons left from U.S.S.R. For some time they were even quite successful mostly because of Russian Command stupidity, incompetence and corruption. You can read about Battle of Grozniy, where a lot of tanks and bmps were wasted just because they were sent to the streets without any support and about how corrupted officials made millions in no time out of that war.

But when Russian government gained the political will to solve the problem (this has happened after terrorist attacks in Moscow and several other cities), in a short period of time Chechen army turned into small groups of criminals hiding in forests and mountains just like Talibans in Afgan now.

I do hope the next DLC or expansion could be PLA, PLA is the largest army in the world and also a modernized army, but was missed in all offical release from OFP to PMC DLC.

I think BIS wants to stick with ArmAverse in their DLCs and expansions. Where would the PLA fit in? :)

and IF they decide to put it, I sure hope its on Intependent/Blufor.

Gnat;1822813']JippanChenaTyewonRushherNorthandSouthCorrea

:confused:

It's a pity Hollywood was too scared of offending Muslims to stick to the original story.

The Sum of All Fears, although released in 2002, was filmed and produced before the September 11, 2001 attacks; way before anti-Muslim hysteria became widespread.

Besides, there was a film from the 1990s which dealt with Islamic terrorism in New York City, which was criticized by Muslims for being too inaccurate...

well if they ever release another dlc, maybe playing as the takistani militia fighting against the US? make it a dynamic storyline that involves alot of choice for the player. such as helping your friend set up IEDs, or not getting involved, killing civilians because they didnt want to join your cause, or let them be.

you know an intelligent and thought provoking story would serve more justice than just any new faction. im not really concerned about epic scale. But considering this is a simulator with harsh realities, it should also present harsh circumstances for armies and common people who face fighting everyday.

I vote for a dynamic campaign that involves alot of choice, with 3 or more alternations of itself.

that would add alot of memory and replayability.

Besides, there was a film from the 1990s which dealt with Islamic terrorism in New York City, which was criticized by Muslims for being too inaccurate...

The Seige? That film :rolleyes:

:confused:

The Sum of All Fears, although released in 2002, was filmed and produced before the September 11, 2001 attacks; way before anti-Muslim hysteria became widespread.

I never mentioned 9/11 being the reason to fear Muslims, they've done so prior to that. Something else happened in the early 90's in NYC too.

North Korea please?

It's the DPRK. :p

I never mentioned 9/11 being the reason to fear Muslims, they've done so prior to that. Something else happened in the early 90's in NYC too.

Yes, but it certainly wasn't to the level that it is/was today. ;)

The Seige? That film

That's the one. Good movie, BTW. :D

1994-2009, probably the same amount of time it'll take NATO in Afghanistan.

This is bullshit.

This is bullshit.

well were 8 years and going. only 7 more to go and itll match up just about right.

unless a decision is made to withdraw, then i guess this would mean a worse job then the russians.

if the russians make a return

i'd like to see the on the independent side

if the russians make a return

i'd like to see the on the independent side

Same here, there should be modular sides.

I'm tired of russia being the main enemy of the US in games

We need different OPFOR, like China,Iran,North Korea etc

Its Russia because of the history... there is very little history (as such) between US & China.

As for Iran or North Korea... that sounds about right... America never attacks anyone big enough to throw one back.

Russia is Good... I know nothing about Chinese weaponry... and I suspect no one has a anywhere near complete list.

edit:

Well, it is not true. NATO doesn't really want to win in Afghanistan, it's good place to test new technologies, isnt it?

Every late Obama's action seems to prove the above sentence.

To be honest, who cares about Afghanistan, nobody would bleed for it.

And Iran? It's just different, in Iran we would fight against Army and not guerilla.

But I guess what we both say are just opinions.

Back to topic

+1 spot on...

Edited by 76

I would like to see:

USA as anyFOR defined by user.

Russian Federation as anyFOR defined by user.

NATO(European forces)as anyFOR defined by user.

Smurfbr is right, the concept of Blue, Red & Independant is old and limiting. Being able to choose sides in the editor is the way to go.

But for now I'd like to see something like; China in central Asia (independant), Russia (OPFOR), Nato (w/ US, UK, Germany, France BLUFOR).

Anything that includes Korea (with Superpower backing).

---------- Post added at 06:07 PM ---------- Previous post was at 05:59 PM ----------

Its Russia because of the history... there is very little history (as such) between US & China.

Hey 76, haven't you heard of the Korean War? US & Chinese forces fought for nearly 3 years against each other.

Although the US & USSR did have lots of cold war tension, the only two supperpowers to actually kill each other in combat has been US (UN actually) and China (coming to North Korea's aid after a botched invasion). Sounds like a good scenario for ARMA 2 if we add modern armies we'd be off to the races. (hmmm I think Ghost Recon tried that on one of their console versions).

Edited by Dr@gon

Yes, but it certainly wasn't to the level that it is/was today. ;)

Just more justified now. :butbut:

then i guess this would mean a worse job then the russians.

I don't think that's even possible. Chechnya today is likely to make people nostalgic about Stalin.

....have you seen pictures of Chechnya? It's not exactly flat terrain either.

I'd almost go as far as to say that Chechnya is like a green version of Afghanistan.

The Chechen War is very much over. Attacks on police and bombings are simply the norm, along with an in-depth campaign on state terrorism to keep the population good and terrified.

If I'm not mistaken, the Caucasus mountains are quite a bit higher than their Afghan equivalents, although much less remote in some ways. Anyways, the Chechens faced down the Russians in conventional urban warfare once and burned them out of Grozny, or its rubble at least. Mountains help you stay alive. Winning, not so much.

Why not put USA as aggresor for once instead of Russia.

This would be too realistic.

I think the first Ghost Recon game on X-box was about fighting North Korea.

South Korea was the second largest market for X box games at the time.

They banned it!

Hahahaha.

I wonder if they banned Crysis too?