What are the most important sounds for you while using JSRS?  

179 members have voted

1. 1. What are the most important sounds for you while using JSRS?

• The weapon sounds!
    • The vehicle sounds!
    • Environmental sounds!
    • Explosions, Soniccracks, Bullethits, the sound of danger!
    • The script features like the "distance sounds"!
    • Everything combined! The whole Mod itself is important.

Not for me, at least. Core i7, 8GB Ram, ArmA 2 on a SSD, GTX 570 1GB, and Creative Fatality sound card. No slow downs, no choppiness, no weird or missing sounds. That's the frustrating thing, when testing phase didn't show half of these issues and random weirdness going on. Becomes difficult to nail down a single definite solve-all for people. One thing does come in mind and haven't had a chance to look into it, but CBA has now reverted back into a single CBA_OA package due to the more recent beta's. Perhaps this can be causing some issues to pop up (either the CBA setup or the beta's)? I dunno. LJ's busy at the moment, and I just got over losing one of the most important member's of my family suddenly last week, so I'm still devastated and can't think properly at the moment as to what could be causing such issues. But hopefully some solution will arise.

Condolences to you and your family mate. Can't imagine how hard it must be for you at the moment, hope you find some peace.

Some of the group I play A2 with are awful at updating things like CBA and betas and they have choppy frame rate etc. I think a lot of the problems with JSRS are end-user. Can only speak for myself, but I have no problems and I'm always up to date with CBA/betas/JSRS version.

Yap, two known issues here ;) Will kinda work this out soon.

BTW: 53742 Downloads so far from our main download source at 24th Platoon. 61218 from ArmaHolic. Thanks for the mighty participation! Thanks!

LJ

with the release of ARMA were decent sound add-ons to the game, but no one has surpassed SOP2.0, your fashion, though not intended to be real sounds, at least it brings to them, unlike the others, who prefer ACE sounds this thing before, but I personally do not like a lot sounds of explosions and grenade explosions of hand grenades and grenade launchers are not many muffled bass sound to add them to.

I have some general question:

- will it help to improve FPS rates when I install a dedicated soundcard to my system? Right now I'm using the onboard sound chip.

- Is J.S.R.S using a lot of CPU power? How much?

- Did anybody test FPS difference with and without a soundcard?

1- will it help to improve FPS rates when I install a dedicated soundcard to my system? Right now I'm using the onboard sound chip.

2- Is J.S.R.S using a lot of CPU power? How much?

3- Did anybody test FPS difference with and without a soundcard?

1 No, it'll improve quality in some cases, but not the performance.

2 Not that I know. The CPU usage and overall FPS rates are the same on my end. All in all 1.5 works smoother and better than 1.4.

3 As said, no differences with our without instead of the quality. It also depends on you system, if you drop FPS's because of a soundcard, this can be poorly related to the mod.

LJ

The reason it, in theory, boosts performance is because it takes load off of the CPU.

I should mention one thing though, with a high quality card + cans, you will notice low bitrate samples very easily and it will drive you insane. Just a heads up! :)

- will it help to improve FPS rates when I install a dedicated soundcard to my system? Right now I'm using the onboard sound chip.

- Is J.S.R.S using a lot of CPU power? How much?

- Did anybody test FPS difference with and without a soundcard?

JSRS is 1.5 GB of sound samples added to the engine, plus scripting functions that trap every shot fired by every weapon, plus you have to allow 128 3D samples at once... so yes, it has to hit somewhere. It's hard to test because you would need to measure smoothness more than plain FPS numbers, but the performance hit is there. Now that being said, I have a low end system, and the mod is definitely playable with a very reasonable cost/benefit relation (specially compared with other sound mods, since you have you use some).

An off board sound card will help a little but it will have to be a really off board card. There are many sound cards that, albeit using a PCI slot, they still require a lot of CPU to function. Some cheap Xfis (like mine) work that way, and although they sound marginally better, they still load the CPU. But like LJ said, even in the best scenario, a sound card will not make a considerable difference in game performance, that's to say, no one got 10+ FPS and smooth gameplay by upgrading their sound board.

@LordJarhead;@seba1976

thanks for the comments and info. I'm on a low end system (didn't upgrade for the last 4 years) and I'm trying to get the max out of my system. That's why I'm rethinking every aspect of CPU load.

It would be interesting to know how much % of CPU load JSRS is taking. Is there a way to measure that? Or is it so marginal (let's say 5%) that it doesn't make sense at all?

@LordJarhead;@seba1976

thanks for the comments and info. I'm on a low end system (didn't upgrade for the last 4 years) and I'm trying to get the max out of my system. That's why I'm rethinking every aspect of CPU load.

It would be interesting to know how much % of CPU load JSRS is taking. Is there a way to measure that? Or is it so marginal (let's say 5%) that it doesn't make sense at all?

It doesn't make sense at all on my end. Just for you I made a little CPU test, with and without JSRS and with Soundcard and without soundcard. The results are quiet interesting.

With Soundcard:

With JSRS: 41 - 48 % of CPU Usage = 44,5%

Without JSRS: 40 - 46 % of CPU Usage = 43%

Without Soundcard:

With JSRS: 41 - 48 % of CPU Usage = 44,5%

Without JSRS: 41 - 47 % of CPU Usage = 44%***

TEST: Large Scale Cluster F*CK with 500 units facing each other over 100 meters of distance. Running on a Intel i7 2600K LGA1155 @3.7. Soundcard is an ASUS Xonar DG 7.1 with an Edifier HCS5640 AMPLIFIER audio system.

***That is quiet interesting. Running without a soundcard does not had any impact on the performance while using JSRS. The CPU usage stays the same as with an Soundcard and JSRS. The difference is only without JSRS for about 1% which is kindly said totally trivial and is not worth talking about.

I hope that answers some questions. All in all I can only say that soundcards only worth the buy to improve the quality of audio handling of your system. The actual CPU improvements are so small that you cant notice them at all. Just the numbers are different, mostly just behind the decimal point.

LJ

@LordJarhead

thank you for the test. This answers my question satisfyingly :) I understand now that J.S.R.S is not taking that much of an impact on the CPU. (Some people on this forums spread the word that J.S.R.S is taking a lot of CPU power...) Now we have figures. BTW it is also interesting that your CPU never got used more than 48%. This is quite (that's the right word BTW, since quiet is the opposite of loud) impressive. But I think this has to do with a very high end CPU like yours i7. Thanks again for your help. (In the meantime I found some tweaks to increase my performance of the system and can still enjoy J.S.R.S without the fear of eating up too much CPU power :))

Hi LJ, just wanna ask you a question. Did you intentionally remove the footstep sounds whenever you are carrying a wounded soldier(first aid modules)? All I can hear is the soldier panting heavily and no sound of the footsteps. I was thinking that you decided to remove them since it's unnecessary? Or am I wrong? Just a question though. :)

@LordJarhead

thank you for the test. This answers my question satisfyingly :) I understand now that J.S.R.S is not taking that much of an impact on the CPU. (Some people on this forums spread the word that J.S.R.S is taking a lot of CPU power...) Now we have figures. BTW it is also interesting that your CPU never got used more than 48%. This is quite (that's the right word BTW, since quiet is the opposite of loud) impressive. But I think this has to do with a very high end CPU like yours i7. Thanks again for your help. (In the meantime I found some tweaks to increase my performance of the system and can still enjoy J.S.R.S without the fear of eating up too much CPU power :))

It's not as easy as that at all. Your PC will have to deal with the 1.5 GB of data added. The amount of extra data is massive compared to vanilla content. It will impact your overall performance in multiple ways that cannot be measured, specially not when your CPU is already maxed out (50% for each core is the highest number you're ever gonna see in multicore CPUs.) Another area where it will hit, is the scripts environment, and that is also very difficult to test, but it will produce delays in script execution and affect missions that use scripting in great amount.

But I'll say it again, run the mod, for it surely worth it's price, it adds to the immersion level a bunch, but most of all, do your own tests, play what you usually play, and see how the engine handles itself with and without the mod. If it feels good, what does it matters what others say?

maybe this has been mentioned before but its lots of reading all those pages but everytime i shoot with the A10 my game crashes, anyone have any idea on how to fix this besides not running the mod?

Edit: seems like it does it with every gun, looks like it has to do with the latest beta patch, installing previous version atm will get back on it when i've tried it out.

Edit: just installed patch 101747 again and game works fine again.

Looks like patch 102111 crashes my game when firing any typ of gun with JSRS enables, not sure if it does it with anything else.

Edited by MrWesley

maybe this has been mentioned before but its lots of reading all those pages but everytime i shoot with the A10 my game crashes, anyone have any idea on how to fix this besides not running the mod?

Edit: seems like it does it with every gun, looks like it has to do with the latest beta patch, installing previous version atm will get back on it when i've tried it out.

Ditch the beta, keep JSRS :).

Edit: just installed patch 101747 again and game works fine again.

Looks like patch 102111 crashes my game when firing any typ of gun with JSRS enables, not sure if it does it with anything else.

Best post the crash to the CIT: https://dev-heaven.net/projects/cis/wiki/CIT#How-to-report-a-crash

So that it doesn't end up in the v1.63 upcoming final patch.

So the SPG-9 has a nice chunky woosh-sound when I'm the gunner, but when the AI is firing, the sound is vanilla. Can anyone else corroborate in preparation for a ticket?

Edited by maturin

Hi guys!

I have a problem installing JSRS 1.5 update 3. The problem: in the faq it is stated I should install all three CBA variants, CBA, A2 and OA. So far so good. But when I downloaded and installed the CBA, on their page is stated:

Since 1.0.1 there is only one modfolder you should use. No matter if you run Arma 2 Standalone, Arma 2: Operation Arrowhead or Arma 2: Combined Operations (Arma 2 + Arma 2: OA), you always install the @CBA_CO folder!

So, what to do?

Please help!

Hi guys!

I have a problem installing JSRS 1.5 update 3. The problem: in the faq it is stated I should install all three CBA variants, CBA, A2 and OA. So far so good. But when I downloaded and installed the CBA, on their page is stated:

Since 1.0.1 there is only one modfolder you should use. No matter if you run Arma 2 Standalone, Arma 2: Operation Arrowhead or Arma 2: Combined Operations (Arma 2 + Arma 2: OA), you always install the @CBA_CO folder!

So, what to do?

Please help!

JSRS 1.5.3 pre-dates the change to CBA. Install CBA_CO.

I did install the CBA_CO. You mean, I have to install all the other three? Where can I find the latest versions?

I did install the CBA_CO. You mean, I have to install all the other three? Where can I find the latest versions?

Just use the CBA_CO now since all three are combined now. So just use CBA CO. I will update the ReadMe later though. I have barely any time left to work on this mod right now.

LJ

I'm getting the following error:

Addon 'cba_xeh_oa' requieres addon 'CA_CommunityConfigurationProject_E'