Sign in to follow this  
Undeceived

CM Operation Flashpoint 3 announced | "Oops, they're doing it again..."

The first person animations look well improved, both running and shooting, things i hated about DR.

The post processing still looks over the top but not quite as bad.

If it offers some realism ill probably pick it up when the price comes right down/preowned.

Actually I was quite impressed with this video I got to say, the textures look alot better then in Dragon Crap the character models look more animated and human, the game doesnt looked like an overwashed out Post Process mess, blur, Bloom and filters.

The grass still looks like shit, if they could make it so you could prone and flatten it like in Arma 2 that would be nice, looks like a Ghost Recon and Battlefield 2 Mix up.

But like Sic Said:

It is a turd. It doesnt matter what and how much they polish everything up, it has dumped so much that should have made it worthwhile that at the end of the day, it's still a turd.

Perhaps only a shiney one.

Its a turd still its SIGNIFICANTLY FLAWED in design, No Multiplayer component, Still being developed with Consoles in mind (meaning shitty console controls, menus, and limitations), the game still features a fucking tether which ruins any kind of cool Coop gameplay, and all the other things that CM feels isnt worth the effort to implement or Fix.

Oh yeah and NO EDITOR.

Even if the game has good Singleplayer and good Cooperative, theres nothing extra afterwards you can make your own missions and scenarios anymore and I doubt CM will give this game "PROPER" Post release support it will end up like Dragon Rising 2 insignificant patches that fix absolutely jack shit and give you piss poor excuse of DLC.

they said they're trying to reach a broader audience than the original(the reboot version)....like the first one was some kind of simulation.

this tells me they're pretty much going the call of duty route. so to say it's going to actually be tactical is a joke to me. how much more arcade can you get? the original was already arcade.

once again. better graphics. nothing more.

Flash I wonder if you can shoot down the stalion with a Mk16 MOD 0 at the start of a game this time ;)

Remember that time we went off to hunt down the fallen heli and it was all screwed up ... haha, bugs are fun. :D

Yes, Well, Bugs were really the biggest probelm with DR. And probably will be with RR. They need a solid beta test. Public and private ones to clean out those bugs, Then, It may be a good game. I mean, its never going to be a great game like ArmA, OFP or Battlefield series. SInce it wont have that replayability of mod tools and a mission editor. But, It may at least have some potential as a tactical shooter. I just wish they would drop the OFP of the front of it.

Just so you know, Theres been a small advance in DR. Not alot, Some guy did some work in C# and basicly managed to create the equivilent of Dialogs in ArmA II.

http://community.codemasters.com/forum/operation-flashpoint-dragon-rising-game-pc-113/446931-mercenaries-defend-airfield-interactive-mission.html#post6766632

Edited by Ben_S

Flash I wonder if you can shoot down the stalion with a Mk16 MOD 0 at the start of a game this time ;)

Remember that time we went off to hunt down the fallen heli ... haha, bugs are fun. :D

Yes, Well, Bugs were really the biggest probelm with DR. And probably will be with RR. They need a solid beta test. Public and private ones to clean out those bugs, Then, It may be a good game. I mean, its never going to be a great game like ArmA, OFP or Battlefield series. SInce it wont have that replayability of mod tools and a mission editor. But, It may at least have some potential as a tactical shooter. I just wish they would drop the OFP of the front of it.

LOL yeah I remember that but you can also do that in Arma 2. :p

I've shot down a cobra with my M249

I would'nt of mind DR with its big limitations gone and some bug fixes the game was decent.

Just like I wouldnt mind Arma 2 with some optimization and bug fixes. Every game has room to improve but CM is showing that its not going to improve much Red River besides a few graphical areas, did you notice the trees disappearing in the RR video?

anyways why am i on here I got alot of work to get done. :(

That trailer was ultimately disappointing. The red star graphic concept was neat, and the variation in US Marine models was nice, however...

The narration was terrible

The helicopter flight looked wrong

The animation appears fps cartoonish (model-tethered-to-floating-camera)

The lighting is bad

It was just unimpressive because there's nothing new there. They really need to blow your socks off, and some guy talking dryly about American interests, with some war movie platitudes thrown in (that were new and interesting back in 2001), really doesn't capture my imagination in the slightest. It missed the mark so much that I began critiquing the rotor blade animation. It sucked.

Haha, I wish I had arrowhead right now, Mayb we could play some proper coop at some point, was great fun back then. :D

Anyway, Yeah. Bugs are the main point for CM, they seem to be very prominent in all their games. I guess its because their tight lipped, and wont let people beta test them? I think they need to do at least a public beta test. Bugs are gonna rip this game to peices if they don't.

Haha, I wish I had arrowhead right now, Mayb we could play some proper coop at some point, was great fun back then. :D

Anyway, Yeah. Bugs are the main point for CM, they seem to be very prominent in all their games. I guess its because their tight lipped, and wont let people beta test them? I think they need to do at least a public beta test. Bugs are gonna rip this game to peices if they don't.

Lol yeah, beta testing. Both BIS and CM do public beta testing, usually at a charge of $25-60 ( :p ), the difference is that BIS actually follows up on the bug reports, where as CM dumps the game and announces the next rip-off, along with a large flashy "Pre-order now!" button ;)

On to ridiculing the article:

Red River still has plenty of settings that can be manipulated to please the longtime fans out there who want a simulation, but Codemasters has set out to recruit an army of new players with a game that puts fun before everything else.

Please long time fans who want a full-on simulation with a game that makes the game easier to play to enhance the fun. For people who play simulations, difficulty = fun. "Simulation" and "dumbing down" are two terms that are not usable in the same sentence. There are plenty of people here who also enjoy playing a more casual game including me, but not when it's called "Operation Flashpoint".

Operation Flashpoint: Red River is a tactical shooter

OFP was a tactical shooter, Ghost Recon 1 was a tactical shooter, as were the Rainbow Six games until Vegas and the Swat games. DR and RR have never been, and will never be tactical shooters.

As a member of the United States Marines, you'll lead a squad of four soldiers

Members of the USMC are referred to as "marines", not "soldiers". This mistake shows what the author is not, a fan of simulations or a realistic portrayal of war. And again, not commanding anything more than a fireteam.

OK, so if the last Operation Flashpoint felt convoluted and annoyingly "authentic" to you

Hmm, "DR" and "authentic". I had the local server farm try to find an explanation for this odd combination of words for several hours. It came up empty. Of course, every marine is now the proud owner of an auto-aiming device to replace all iron sights, optics, scopes, lasers and other means to aim their weapon. The Corps's firing ranges have been shut down due to this revolution in warfare. [/sarcasm] A game worthy of the name "Operation Flashpoint" would never have such a feature in the first place, even if it is optional.

People generally slammed Flashpoint's absurdly complex command wheels in the last game

A command wheel with only a few options and it's still too complex. I could comment on the ability of the average DR player to use their brain, but I won't. Of course we all know what CM's solution to this problem will be. Remove even more options from the menu/game. If it requires thought, get rid of it.

Healing has also been changed in Red River. The last game was brutal: if you or a squad mate got hit, you had to stop the bleeding with one of your few medical kits and then that was it -- you saw how far you could make it until you found a medic. In Red River, this has changed in some minor, but important, ways. You now have unlimited med packs, but once you stop the bleeding you can fix anyone up to full health.

So the already ridiculously arcade self-healing system of DR has been made even more ridiculous. Every soldier is a fully trained medic that despite being shot in the guts, which is a horribly painful experience, can just take a bandage and fully heal himself again in a few seconds, and even that was too "realistic"? :confused: Couldn't they just place the player's squad in Godmode? Would save people from having to use their brain to reach for the magic-heal button. I mean, it's not like this "franchise" puts any penalty on getting members of your squad wounded anyway, where as in any BIS game ever since the one and only OFP, the soldier carrying your AT weapon going down while an enemy tank is racing towards you means all-out panic and a quick dash to pick up the weapon while under fire. Real war --------> Simulation ---> Tactical shooter ---> Codemaster's "Operation Flashpoint" along with virtually every other game calling itself a "tactical shooter" produced after 2005.

If you get ripped-off for any other product, you go to the police, or contact an organization for consumer rights. If you get ripped-off by a game-developer, you crave for the next rip-off ("I'm sure they'll get it right the 7th time!"...). Makes perfect sense ... Sometimes I suspect games really damage certain parts of the brain like some dodgy scientists claim.

Edited by JdB

lol..you know what. I watched that vid and thought to myself, if this didn't have the history and all the negativity that the "new" operation Flashpoint deserves. I would find myself quite intersted - going by the video. Of course we are talking about the kings of bullshit marketing here, so thankfully the words "Dragoin Rising" will have me putting off any plans. But, it's there...interest. I have to wonder if this will be, what I like to refere to as, a fun popcorn game. Nothing mentally taxing, just good for a bit of a fuck about. There, I've said it. I have my interst piqued a little.

(Does this mean I will go to hell)?

EDIT: I feel sick.

Hopefully you have a healthy bit of skepticism in there as well. You know what they say about a fool and his money.

I laughed at that video and then laughed even harder when I read the bit about checkpoints healing your entire squad. It looks quite nice but I can't help thinking how much of the video was actually game footage and how much was pre-rendered cutscene. I agree with the other people in this thread that it does seem very much like medal of battlecod but I suspect it won't be anywhere near as good as any of them, that's bad because MOH was bollocks.

I wouldn't be so sure that we saw actuall in game footage. We all know CM and their politics of lyin..... I mean marketing. So I bet we just saw some nice pre-rendered cutscenes

I wouldn't be so sure that we saw actuall in game footage. We all know CM and their politics of lyin..... I mean marketing. So I bet we just saw some nice pre-rendered cutscenes

Pre-Rendered cut-scenes that look like BF2?

I was linked this

RULv6HbgEjY

this morning, and it just goes to show what "the masses" want in their gaming these days:

super-easy, gun down everything if you want, but still easy to complete if you suck.

(Hint, skip to ~13m to see the best bit)

I thought I had disposed of Lenton in one of my missions..

He is harder than a cockroach..

:mad:

OK let the bashing start

Funny you should say that... By halfway through the interview I wanted to punch Lenton.

To me, it just looks like COD. I might be tempted to sink an hour into it to find out what it's like but I would certainly not ever claim it's anything like a member of the Flashpoint series. I'd love to know what platform that video was filmed from, the framerate is terrible.

Set in the future, still using CH-53 (yes, I am aware of the CH-53K, but it should look considerably different to the models they have shown) and M923/939 5 ton trucks. Which means no MTVRs and no MV-22.

Still going strong on the realism I see...

Funny you should say that... By halfway through the interview I wanted to punch Lenton.

There's an iphone application for that.

Hopefully you have a healthy bit of skepticism in there as well. You know what they say about a fool and his money.

Absolutely, though I'd use "Hatred/hostility" instead of skepticism. Add to that my inherent tightness when it comes to cash, and we are talking "less than a tenner" for any possible purchase. Steam new year sale 2012 maybe :D Christ...NO NO NO...////that didnt happen.

I stopped the interview vid @ 0.21..."...in a country called Tajikistan"? I hate it when people use a rising inflection at the end of a statement as if they are asking a question. In this case it sounded like "...called Tajikistan /smug mode active have you heard of it? I have /smarm".

All aboard the RR publicity train. You cant drive it, and there are only 4 seats for you and your friends, but whoooo whooooooooo anyway.

LMAO @ the America Fuck Yeah dub...pisser.

EDIT: Has anyone else thought Full Spectrum Warrior?

Edited by Bascule42

Improved dub. :p

Unfortunately, even that song is copyrighted by the WMG, so the audio on my actual video was disabled. :(

Edit: This made me die a little inside. He remembers the voice as that pointless guy from DR, not Berghoff from OFP.

Edited by Zipper5