Sign in to follow this  
Undeceived

CM Operation Flashpoint 3 announced | "Oops, they're doing it again..."

Holy crap. How did I not notice that. FPDR

Wow I just noticed that too, our brains so complex that even small things are completely interrupted wrong.

Its like one of those tests where you count the "Of's" in a paragraph.

Wouldn't it be crazy in the future that BIS buys up Codemasters???

Sion Lention and the crew "Nice....."

Edited by Flash Thunder

Sion Lention and the crew "Nice....."

Sion Lention would be fired straight away :D

OFP has a negative brand recognition with newer/casual gamers. It would be a huge liability and probably not in BIS's interest to purse the rights to said name.

If I were BI I'd buy the brand for peanuts if only to prevent another mockery by another studio.

Sion Lention and the crew "Nice.....redundancy cheque"

fixd that for you ;)

I finished Red River on PS3 and now I'm plying MP. And honestly, I'm enoying it.

It reminds me of first Ghost Recon, with maps large enough to provide tactical opportunities, and balanced squad where every member has his unique role.

Sure, it lacks controllable helicopters, mission editor or addon support, but what's definitely not missing is fun. I'm fine with that. Are you?

I would definitely reccomend it for every mission designer here, as there are many inspiring features and moments which Arma engine can do without problems ;)

Now, troll me :yay:

P.S. Campaign contains one 'After Montignac' style level, probably the best one in whole game, and with very satisfying ending ;)

P.P.S. If it comforts you, I've got pre-owned version.

I finished Red River on PS3 and now I'm plying MP. And honestly, I'm enoying it.

It reminds me of first Ghost Recon, with maps large enough to provide tactical opportunities, and balanced squad where every member has his unique role.

Sure, it lacks controllable helicopters, mission editor or addon support, but what's definitely not missing is fun. I'm fine with that. Are you?

I would definitely reccomend it for every mission designer here, as there are many inspiring features and moments which Arma engine can do without problems ;)

Now, troll me :yay:

P.S. Campaign contains one 'After Montignac' style level, probably the best one in whole game, and with very satisfying ending ;)

P.P.S. If it comforts you, I've got pre-owned version.

It's not the game itself it's Codemasters business ethics which disturbs me and therefor I don't purchase it.

As for the rest there's nothing in RR which can't be done in ArmA.

kind regards

Edited by nettrucker

Good to see someone making up their own mind.

The first Ghost Recon? - I cannot agree in any way. For me, earlier Tom Clancy games like GR1 and Raven Shield were so enjoyable because the equipment you were using felt 'heavy' and credible. The pace was slower, one shot was enough to kill and you felt the weight of your actions: the wrong decision might be the end of you at any time.

The game reminded me very strongly of GRAW: 'look at the shiny shiny toys' and leading the player by the nose through the linear levels. Graphics were about on a par with GRAW 1, too.

As for tactical opportunities, there are very few. For example, the mission where you are sent to flank the armoured vehicles and the only single way to do so is by crossing the river at a very narrow ford. Less GRAW2 than Doom 3.

Other highlights include Chinese APCs which are scripted to be indestructible because the mission designers wouldn't allow you to approach the missions any other way than the way they designed.

I'm presuming you mean mission 5, where you have to retreat three or four times. I thought that one was quite intense, and the difficulty level was about right. Shame the rest of the game was a total anti-climax and farcically easy.

The mission also included a really annoying part near the start, where Sgt. Obknoxious tells you to be stealthy to stay hidden from the PLA, but the whole thing is utterly scripted, so, as with much of the game, it really doesn't matter if you run straight across the middle of the fields. Goodness

only knows why they included prone in this game.

The one thing that I'd like to see ported to Arma would be the CSAR FTEs. I know community members have made a million realistic CSAR missions, but the arcadey rush of CM's version is pretty fun. As soon as you retrieve the downed pilots, all hell breaks loose and the enemy spawn and try to cut you off from your extraction point.

The game mode is massively buggy, though, because it's the only one in which there are are some dynamically generated elements and the player is free to choose how to approach the mission.

The only features I want from Red River to Arma 3 would be the deffered lighting rendering, the FTE modes and particle effects.

Gaia, wait until you finish the campaign once or twice, then the FTEs once or twice.

...what next? Oh wait, nothing. :p

The constant ear rape took all the enjoyment out of it for me. The terrible music choices, the overly-long dialogue by Sergeant McRacist and his band of generic Marines, and honestly, I heard that the head of the Marine task force was voiced by some famous guy, but he's no easier to listen to. Famous != good voice actor, as BlOps showed me with Mr.Worthington.

The audio design of Red River is fucking. Terrible. So much so that it's the most commonly voiced complaint about the game across the reviews for it. I also get a sense that the budget was definitely cut this time around, as most of the weapon sounds seem to be the same as they were in Dragon Rising.

The ending to the campaign is just as badly done as it was in Dragon Rising. To me it sounds like they threw it together at the last minute. Hell, there isn't even a proper dramatic cutscene to go along with it. Just the guys standing around with the default stances in formation talking for a few minutes.

I can't rip on the core gameplay all that much apart from saying it's nothing too different from any other FPS out there, and the AI are terrible, but that hasn't changed since Dragon Rising. Another thing that hasn't changed from Dragon Rising is the nearly-unlimited sprint.

I guess, Gaia, that you were able to look past its shortcomings and enjoy the otherwise decent gameplay mechanics. For me, however, the ear rape and thrown-together storyline just made it an all-round unsatisfying and, quite frankly, annoying experience. I would say, on the other hand, that if I didn't know of any better alternatives, i.e. I was a console player, I would find Red River and maybe even Dragon Rising to be something unique. But I don't only know that there are better alternatives, I also know that one better alternative is the first entry in the series that they supposedly belong to.

There, my rant on the game having actually finally played it.

And for those of you interested in the mission Gaia said was styled like After Montignac, there is a video playthrough of it that you can find on YouTube. Here's the first part:

wFFipagrajc

Edited by Zipper5

Our enemy is the PLA, WE ARE IN CONFLICT WITH THEM! :p

I can't see how this can even remotely be compared to After Montignac. It's more "John Rambo fight blind chickens in Alamo".

*Put my troll protecting helmet on

Well I liked this game, I like other games too such as: Medal Of Honor (MOH) and sometimes even Battlefield Bad Company 2 (BFBC2). It's true to say that I like ArmA the most.

But ArmA need a rare recipe to be really enjoyable:

1. Good teammates.

2. Good mission.

3. No technical issues (bug, latency, server's issues).

Such delicate recipe can't be achived anytime. So when the time isn't right I'll choose one of the others. But when the time is right I'll pick ArmA above all others.

To the point, OFP:RR is a good game, they nailed the point tactical FPS that you can jump in and without being in a clan and still have decent tactical game with random guys. The other games above: BF:BC2 and MOH succeed in doing that too.

It's not the game itself...

Not??? I bought dragon rising and it sucked, as far as i can understand red river is the same except they stripped it for the only things that made dr playable at best..... free roaming, vehicles and the editor.. doh doh doh.

Ahhh, finished it this arvo on Hardcore and can now drop it straight into the Recycle Bin, where it belongs. 'Oorah.

Not??? I bought dragon rising and it sucked, as far as i can understand red river is the same except they stripped it for the only things that made dr playable at best..... free roaming, vehicles and the editor.. doh doh doh.

Yeah I guess i've expressed myself badly. I borrowed DR from a friend had one go and left it. I didn't even rent or borrow RR. Let's say the main reason for not purchasing is codemasters business model. Droping support after 1 month says it all. I didn't purchase nor did I play RR therefore I avoid commenting.

kind regards

Red River sucks. I haven't tried an OFP variant for many years but you can see they just turned it into an arcade game. Terrible.

I've got too much of these ones to play that trash man. :D

ethicssign1.jpg

Ahh, I see what you didn't mention there. :p

Thats exactly why I put that arrow in!

i don't know how to say it in english:

"że wam nie szkoda czasu"

writing about Codemasters OFP is waste of time and keyboards ;)

keyboard is wearing out/deteriorating ;)

Red River is not worthy your keyboard

It's more "John Rambo fight blind chickens in Alamo".

Well. Let's be honest, if you have ranged weapon in OFP, it's not very different. I just play Resistance campaign and sometimes it feels very similar.

At least when level designer doesn't decide to send me to frontal assault with 6 men against enemy base with 30 men in flat terrain without cover, which is quite usual in Resistance.

Edited by Mr.Wolf