Sign in to follow this  
Undeceived

CM Operation Flashpoint 3 announced | "Oops, they're doing it again..."

Just because X is much better than Y as a whole, doesn't mean X cannot learn a thing from Y. Remember when Arma2 did not have flashlights, laser pointers nor thermal imaging?

True. But I would say that arma2 "learned" it from VBS2.. ;)

Yeah, or Half-Life, COD4 and Steel Beasts ;) But the point remains the same. There were some invidual little things that could be "taken note of" in a much inferior product.

I think it was rather obvious where the motivation to put them to the consumer product came from though. The only three features that DR had over Arma2, were the only three new features that OA was first announced with. Coincidence? :)

Codemasters forums back online

Last night we discovered some suspicious activity had taken place on a moderator account and in light of recent security issues worldwide we decided that the safest option was to bring the forums down whilst we investigated the extent of the intrusion. This rogue account only took minimal action, which we have reversed. No other accounts have been affected.

However, this is a good reminder of why you need to take the necessary precautions with your computer and account safety. Change your passwords often and ensure they are of good strength and are not easily guessable and do not share your account details with anyone. If you’d like to read more on how you can protect yourself and your computer against unscrupulous types, please see our useful sticky thread.

Tho the jokes about Lenton was fun

Oh, and did I forget to mention that the PC version still has performance issues? Yeah, apparently, BlOps on PC is designed to work on Windows XP as switching to it removes all performance issues for everyone that has them.

I had zero performance issues with BLOPS on Win 7 x64 from the first patch.

Unlike Arma2 which still gives ridiculous artifacts with ATI cards.

I suppose it goes to show that different configurations of PC get different results, but I do wish Bis would test their software on some team red cards once in a while.

Your PC specs are so good that they compensate well enough for the performance issues. They are always there on any OS other than Windows XP, but if your PC is compensates to a high enough degree, you won't notice them. However, it's ridiculously unreasonable that a game as basic as BlOps is allowed to have its real system requirements...

Odd, I've used two different ATI cards with Arma2 and still am, never got any artifacts..in most cases though it is not so much the game devs problem to fix as much as it drivers for the card.

Yes, Zipper, I mostly agree. It's not like there's any ballistic calculations going on in game, or as though the graphics are particularly spiffy. They really ought to have just admitted that a quad-core was needed to play the game, especially since they made you use Steam, who aren't exactly famous for giving refunds on non-functioning games.

I thought I remembered you upgrading your rig some time back and getting an i7 or something similarly beefy?

Coincidentally, Kotaku have the entire story-line of Modern Warfare 3 leaked on their website today: it's total pants.

Zero action in this thread or on CM's own forum about this game a month after release. Wonder what the sales figures have been like and whether there'll be more than one set of DLC released.

I thought I remembered you upgrading your rig some time back and getting an i7 or something similarly beefy?

It's still in the works. :p

For now I still have my Intel Core 2 Duo E8400 @ 3.00GHz, NVIDIA GTX 280 and 2GB DDR2 RAM @ 800MHz to deal with. Personally, I think those specs should be more than enough to run BlOps. It runs Arma 2 a hell of a lot better.

In regards to RR, even members of their forums are complaining about getting bored, and the devs haven't been active at all since release. The US release is coming up in June, so we'll have to see how that goes. Most people seem to have already forgotten about RR.

The forums over at CM are an awesome place to hang out, if you're a BIS fan. Talk about picking up the pieces.

Reports indicate that RR sold little more than 100,000 copies worldwide across both the PS3 and Xbox 360. No figures for PC sales yet. Of course, the US release is sometime in June, but I hardly think that after the bad press the game's received everywhere else, US sales will recuperate the costs.

One hopes that this is the end of Codemasters' Operation Flashpoint franchise.

yeah, i hope the bad sales will make CM stop this charade.

btw, for kicks and giggles:

thread 1

thread 2

thread 3

I hate how BIS announce this ArmA after I've already got my new PC in the works. :D

it'll be funny to see what CM come up next for OFP. Perhaps for the next game they'll boast about having guns!

Reports indicate that RR sold little more than 100,000 copies worldwide across both the PS3 and Xbox 360. No figures for PC sales yet. Of course, the US release is sometime in June, but I hardly think that after the bad press the game's received everywhere else, US sales will recuperate the costs.

Not surprised, You lot were right to bash it. It appears CM didn't learn.

BIS is the Obama of the game development world.

Donald Trump thinks he stands a chance, gets all keyed up and gets a

and to put the icing on the cake, Obama himself fast ropes into Pakistan from his self-destructing helicopter and kills Bin Laden.

Codies release a game, get all keyed up and gets a big almighty put down by reviewers and to put the icing on the cake, BIS announce Arma3 which looks more awesome than ever before.

To put the cherry on the icing on the cake, RR fails to sell like a chocolate fire-guard.

Hardly a reliable source. It shows 0 sales of Arma 2 worldwide. :p

it'll be funny to see what CM come up next for OFP. Perhaps for the next game they'll boast about having guns!

If they're smart, there won't be another OFP by CM. Based on those sales figures (even if they are not that reliable, it's pretty safe to say based on the reactions of both press and gamers, that RR will sell (far) less than DR did, and DR wasn't nearly as big of a success as OFP was. Continuing with this disaster is only costing them money.

I haven't heard sales figures for any BIS game since OFP:CWC (which was probably CM's doing), so it doesn't mean that the figures for other companies aren't reliable, it just means that BIS never gives any indication of sales.

I wonder how much all this advertising CMs is up to cost? Not just ads through TV, magazines and such - but also all those interviews - I mean Sion's been in Germany and so on.

Obviously, Red River must have been cheaper to develop than Dragon Rising. They even used the same graphics engine from Dirt 3 and they removed pretty much stuff; map editor, multiplayer, SDK, aircraft, tanks, APC etcetc.

What I do not understand at all is why they removed so much stuff. Was it for economical reasons? Maybe DR was a one shot - hit or miss - and that the Devs got lack of economical support from CM when they were about to develop red river? I don't know.. What did they expect? People clapping their hands for the removal of the features mentioned above? People jerking of to the Buzz kill, or whatever it was called?

If they would have taken DR and improved what people were complaining about - and of course if they haven't lied to damn much about dragon rising and dropping the support for it - I would probably play this game myself despite the fact that I outright hate it now. Sure, it wouldn't have been Flashpoint to 100% - That's impossible, but CM are not even trying.

Oh, by the way; search ''Sion Lenton'' at Google..

Edited by Cyper

Red River was doomed already when CM decided to take out PVP, mission editor, still not include modding tools and all the other wholesome features they axed.

Looks like RR is getting the same treatment as Dragon Rising, Zero talk from the devs, No plans still for DLC or any kind of announcement.

Their developers should just work on Arma 3.

And good thing Arma 3 is on the way!

That's the problem with VGChartz - it doesn't track PC game sales. ;)

It's a shame people didn't listen to me. :(

Edited by Zipper5

That's the problem with VGChartz - it doesn't track PC game sales. ;)

It's a shame people didn't listen to me. :(

You made a mistake, the engine isn't called "VirtualReality", it's "Real Virtuality" ;)

You made a mistake, the engine isn't called "VirtualReality", it's "Real Virtuality" ;)

Holy crap. How did I not notice that. FPDR

Words that are a freak alternation of a commonly used phrase are often mixed up.

There was some talk on the other forum about CM selling the OFP IP to some other company and moving on. I'm wondering who would want it? You buy someone's car and drive it into a post, then try to sell it? The only people I can imagine buying it would be BIS to stop another developer from trying another OFP resurgence that competes with the ArmA franchise. Or maybe to hand it off to one of their subsidiary studios to make an OFP game based on the RV engine to appeal to those people who were OFP fans but not convinced about ArmA. At any rate, I think acquiring a broken-ass brand would be foolhardy unless they were trying to get rid of it at like company bankruptcy desperation prices.

Edited by Max Power

There was some talk on the other forum about CM selling the OFP IP to some other company and moving on. I'm wondering who would want it? You buy someone's car and drive it into a post, then try to sell it? The only people I can imagine buying it would be BIS to stop another developer from trying another OFP resurgence that competes with the ArmA franchise. Or maybe to hand it off to one of their subsidiary studios to make an OFP game based on the RV engine to appeal to those people who were OFP fans but not convinced about ArmA. At any rate, I think acquiring a broken-ass brand would be foolhardy unless they were trying to get rid of it at like company bankruptcy desperation prices.

OFP has a negative brand recognition with newer/casual gamers. It would be a huge liability and probably not in BIS's interest to purse the rights to said name.