Sign in to follow this  
Dwarden

ARMA 2 (OA) : DLC discussion thread

Having just completed the SP of MOH (in a lame 5 or so hours) I can say that I'd much rather buy a DLC for £8 from BI than pay £30 for a similar amount of content from EA.

BAF provided:

New units, engine improvements, new campaign and sp missions, new map, enhanced MP compatibility for people who didn't buy it. Cost £8, replayability limited by your imagination.

MOH provided:

New units, engine "improvements", new campaign, no SP missions, new map, MP capability if you buy the game. Cost £30, replayability limited by boredom with repetative and linear gameplay.

Admittedly MOH is a standalone product but its core technology is no different from COD or other MOH games so it's still using an engine pretty much everyone already has.

Amen to the Amen ...

:yay::yay: :yay::yay: :yay:

BTW can you spam bananas? Interesting method of food combination.

are BIS going to add a new island in the next DLC? Shapur was so small and...

are BIS going to add a new island in the next DLC? Shapur was so small and...

and what?

Small and really small?

Small and dissapointing? :p

Shapur was very lacking in size and 'things to do'

I really hope this map that comes with PMC DLC is quite a bit bigger and is a little more unique.

What about a Special Forces DLC? I've noticed all over Armaholic that people have created/are working on special forces units..ex. A-Stan Marines, Navy Seals, etc... Special Forces have always been a part of the game, they get some cool gear that regular troops don't get and with OA we've seen them even get a vehicle specific to them (HMMWV SOV), as well as the addition of two other Special Forces groups from two different countries (Czech, KSK). So why not expand upon this even further by including specop oriented weapons and gear, as well as introducing a few new units (think Navy SEALs, updated Force Recon, SAS since BAF is out...). On top of that, it would be cool to see different MOS that are new and/or specific to different SF groups. Depending on which way the storyline of the PMC DLC goes, I think it could fit in quite well. On AAN it gives a hazy article about the capture of Radayev, the main weapons supplier for the NAPA party, and in the description itself of PMC it states that they are there to assist a UN investigation team who're trying to uncover Takistan's ABANDONED nuclear weapons program. Hypothetically, would SF become the sequel to PMC, it could follow the story of several special forces units as they attempt to uncover the country working with Takistan in it's development in the program. The units would travel through already existing parts of the ArmA World, Takistan, Chernarus, etc. and would hopefully introduce several new places like Karzeghistan, Ardistan, maybe parts of Russia, etc. finally ending with the country supplying Takistan. The country could turn out to be a major superpower aiming to bring down another major world superpower (United States most likely) and used Takistan as a way to do it without being condemned by the rest of the world. This could set the stage for a beefed up OPFOR by making the main opposition towards the end (the major superpower's own special forces). The SF DLC could easily be followed by a massive all out war pitting the US, a fully equipped BAF (Additional units with weapons, new vehicles *cough* challenger 2 *cough* ... the whole deal) who somehow were also drug into the war, possibly Czech forces all against this other large and modernly equipped army. The campaign of that game wouldn't necessarily end with the war, it could be left a cliffhanger and cut short somewhere, allowing new DLC to be created in order to continue the story through different units/armies eyes (Aussies anyone?). Of course all of that was something I just thought of sitting here reading through all this and will most likely not happen, but it would defiantly be something cool. The SF DLC would allow for several engine improvements as well depending on how the campaign plays out. When you think SF..typically you think stealthy forces moving through large buildings and complexes tasked with eliminating/destroying something..right? So it would only be natural to think that throughout certain parts of the campaign that your SF team would be moving through different rooms and such throughout buildings, all the while going up against OPFOR. Just by doing that, the devs are practically forced to imrpove AI pathfinding in buildings. I think this would make a lot of the other maps we have more fun and interesting to play on since AI would be able to travel through them with much more ease.

Most of this is just speculation, something I'd like to see. Thought I'd throw it out there. Other than that, I would defiantly enjoy some improvements in the editor. I have been playing OFP/ArmA series for a long time, and just recently started getting into editing and mission making. The biggest challenge for me is learning how to effectively use waypoints and triggers (I don't even want to think about scripts just yet.....), I think it would be nice for a dumbed down version to be placed for people like myself who have a harder time learning. What I mean by that is this: When you are trying to get a AI flown helicopter to fly troops in, drop them off at an LZ, then fly away you have to put all sorts of different codes into the AI's init field and the waypoints onact field. Instead, what would be much more nice is to have a waypoint option for the helicopter that simply says "LAND" and have a secondary choice that says "TRANSPORT UNLOAD". When the helicopter reaches the LAND waypoint, it does as told, and whoever is in cargo of the helo actually gets out, no coding needed. From what I've experienced, loading up troops requires you to order them to "GET IN". However, if you want the troops to move from the LZ to a different position, you have to create a waypoint going directly from "GET IN" to wherever you want them to move. It's not a big deal, but it would be nice if the units waypoints automatically synced with the helo's until they disembarked, and would just branch off going wherever it was they're going afterwards. Maybe it's just me, but I feel like it'd clean things up a little and make them less confusing.

The only other thing I can really think of that I would like to see is some of the features found in the SLX mod incorporated into the game. Specifically, the blood, wounding, and first aid done in SLX are amazing. I'd like to see the blood not because I'm some huge gore fan, but simply because there are times when the battlefield feels way to clean to me. After a huge battle there are bodies all around, and the bodies are soaked in blood..but that's it other than the small dried stains you can barely see that appear sometimes. I feel like I would actually be in a battle more if someone got shot through the back and there was some blood splatter on the wall, a buddy was hit bad and as you drag him away blood smears on the ground, you hit a key target in the leg and spend some time following his blood trail in order to finish him off, or a man was riddled with bullets and as he laid on the ground blood pooled around him. Seems like it would be so much more real to me. Maybe I'm wrong, who knows. There's just something about it that I like a lot, and the games already rated M so it's not like it would be the worst thing ever included. I also think the wounding is top notch in SLX for a video game, the player gets hit and goes down..cries out in pain, rolls around, attempts to crawl away...very nice. I like that fact that teammates drag your body back, or drag it to some sort of cover before preforming first aid. First aid is wonderful too. You don't work on someone really quick and BAM..they're healed. You spend time working on them, they bleed while you do so and a blood appears around them, and when they're healed the blood doesn't just disappear off them. You can visibly see that they've been hit and wounded.

Anyways, sorry for such a long post. I've been on the forums for awhile and finally decided to join because I had all these ideas rolling around in my head. Just thought I should get them out.

holy wall of text batman!

tl;dr

cliffs?

Before any more trollydollies jump in (I'm looking at YOU, DM!), I'd like to thank the poster for his thoughts. It certainly seems like a lot of thought went into the post.

That being said, it's better to post ideas or suggestions in smaller volumes and in more appropriate places. :)

It's great to see people enjoying the Armaversum, and the free tools and editor are perfect for getting some of these ideas into play. But, as I've said, this particular thread is for discussing DLC.

Best,

RiE

Will BIS ever work on some more naval technologies for Armaverse? Or is it complete out of the scope/business? Would be imho something new, different and perhaps refreshing for devs & producing...

To sum up my post, I thought a Special Forces DLC would be cool to fit well with the storyline, give us some unique gear and weapons that would be more specific to SF teams, as well as give us different units from different branches of the military/countries.

Thanks for the response Royalty, and when I listed stuff about the editor, I probably meant to add in that I would like to see it in the next DLC, kind of like how we got the artillery computer and new engine features with the download of BAF. Sorry if that didn't fit in here, I just figured it'd be a good place to put it since I was already on a rant, hah.

Nevertheless, whatever BI puts out will surely be great.

That was a real nice post. Well thought out and definitely a cool idea.

I would love some more SF! :)

To sum up my post, I thought a Special Forces DLC would be cool to fit well with the storyline, give us some unique gear and weapons that would be more specific to SF teams, as well as give us different units from different branches of the military/countries.

Thanks for the response Royalty, and when I listed stuff about the editor, I probably meant to add in that I would like to see it in the next DLC, kind of like how we got the artillery computer and new engine features with the download of BAF. Sorry if that didn't fit in here, I just figured it'd be a good place to put it since I was already on a rant, hah.

Nevertheless, whatever BI puts out will surely be great.

special forces are already in the game.

Right and I realize that, but what I thought would be cool is if they expanded on the theme a little more. From what I've personally noticed in game is that SF soldiers aren't typically too much different than regular troops other than a different set of weapons and maybe a little extra/improved gear. Why not give them more extra gear commonly used by SF units (not 100% sure as to what this would be but I bet there's something), maybe more vehicles specific to them other than the ATV and HMMWV SOV, and different SF units to please different crowds like Navy SEALs, British SAS..stuff like that.

Right and I realize that, but what I thought would be cool is if they expanded on the theme a little more. From what I've personally noticed in game is that SF soldiers aren't typically too much different than regular troops other than a different set of weapons and maybe a little extra/improved gear. Why not give them more extra gear commonly used by SF units (not 100% sure as to what this would be but I bet there's something), maybe more vehicles specific to them other than the ATV and HMMWV SOV, and different SF units to please different crowds like Navy SEALs, British SAS..stuff like that.

You are trying to request for very SF centric gears that no other regular grunts should have if I get you correctly. James Bond kind of gear?

Eh not exactly, no. I probably should have put less emphasis on gear when I mentioned the idea, I mostly meant things like weapons and new units. I was leaning more towards things like combat knives, claymores, chem lights and ground flares, maybe a dive kit for water insertions, or maybe even a MOPP suit if nuclear/chemical weapons come into play? IR patches on the soldiers would be cool too. Just stuff that isn't already in the game but would be a nice and fit well in an operators loadout. I mean we have all these new bags that the soldiers can carry, why not stuff them full of other stuff that could be useful?

Edited by stupidwhitekid75

Eh not exactly, no. I probably should have put less emphasis on gear when I mentioned the idea, I mostly meant things like weapons and new units. I was leaning more towards things like combat knives, claymores, chem lights and ground flares, maybe a dive kit for water insertions, or maybe even a MOPP suit if nuclear/chemical weapons come into play? IR patches on the soldiers would be cool too. Just stuff that isn't already in the game but would be a nice and fit well in an operators loadout. I mean we have all these new bags that the soldiers can carry, why not stuff them full of other stuff that could be useful?

I see. That might sell, but need to be carefully designed as it might easily be redundant or unnecessary or even not possible within current VR engine.

Well the SF in OA are really sad looking. That's why I agree with that guy so much.

I can't handle looking at the Delta Force from OA, they just look terrible.

Some BIS made Tier 1 Operators, Rangers, PJs and extended Force Recon would be the coolest thing.

I wish BIS would include SF in all their upcoming DLCs that will include a new nation, I was rather dissapointed BAF didn't have SF. SF missions are some of the most fun and most tense missions you can make. But you can't really do that with the BAF units, since they are just regular paratroopers.

I see. That might sell, but need to be carefully designed as it might easily be redundant or unnecessary or even not possible within current VR engine.

Most of the items would work in-game, there's already a few mods out that let you use knives and some of them have really good animations for using them. Claymore would work like an AT mine, once the unit comes too close it detonates. In order for it to work with a player placing it on the ground and not getting destroyed instantly (and to keep it from being used excessively) there could be a ten second grace period for the player to place it on the ground. Or it could only detonate for the opposing force from whoever played it. Something like that. Flares are already used with M203's except they're aerial..would be nice to put more light on a specific area on the ground or in a building. Dive kit I'm not too sure about, but to me it seems plausible. Just add the model of a wetsuit/scuba tank to the player and make them able to swim underwater without receiving any damage. The MOPP suit I have no idea about. Pretty sure IR patches would work just like the IR strobe except it would stick to each players model. A good campaign wit ha lot of twists and turns and high tension missions would complete it in my opinion.

Well the SF in OA are really sad looking. That's why I agree with that guy so much.

I can't handle looking at the Delta Force from OA, they just look terrible.

Some BIS made Tier 1 Operators, Rangers, PJs and extended Force Recon would be the coolest thing.

I wish BIS would include SF in all their upcoming DLCs that will include a new nation, I was rather dissapointed BAF didn't have SF. SF missions are some of the most fun and most tense missions you can make. But you can't really do that with the BAF units, since they are just regular paratroopers.

Your exactly right. That and there isn't a whole lot special to the SF, they're as generic as regular infantry in most cases too which has always bugged me. Even if original ArmA 2 doesn't get brought up to Arrowhead standards, I'd love to see Force Recon alone make a comeback with new weapons, gear, camo, etc. PJs would be great too, especially for support roles, they could make for a sweet "rescue the shot down pilot who's stranded behind enemy lines" type of mission. Navy SEALs would make it interesting, maybe they could be the start of a ArmA Naval Warfare DLC somewhere in the future..I know a lot of people have been interested in the introduction of ships into the game.

And instead of having BI create a bunch of new maps to support a campaign, they could stick to one Chern/Taki sized map since everyone's been begging for one and then maybe have flashbacks to units operating in Takistan or maybe even Chernarus that could coincide with the storyline. BI has already done something like that, there's a SP mission for BAF where you play as a 'SAS' team, a group of snipers hunting SCUDs in the desert right before the US invasion of Takistan.

What sets special operations soldiers apart from the regular military isn't their vest, weapon, uniform, beard, or sunglasses, it is the missions they conduct. SOF does not equal "Geardo" or "Gear Queer".

Kids do like Hollywood SF and these fictional stories, few of them maybe even think that some uberl33t tacticool looking airsofters/Geardo's* are the best choice for winning any real conflict/war.

*Protected by supercool shades, caps or bandanas and beards.

:D

What sets special operations soldiers apart from the regular military isn't their vest, weapon, uniform, beard, or sunglasses, it is the missions they conduct. SOF does not equal "Geardo" or "Gear Queer".

Your right. That's why I said I said that I should have put a little less emphasis on gear and focused a little more on different units/missions. All that aside, SF units DO use mission specific gear. Example, a diving kit for underwater insertions. FAC units could use chem lights/flares for guiding in aircraft. Small things like that added in could make for new/more realistic missions

Kids do like Hollywood SF and these fictional stories, few of them maybe even think that some uberl33t tacticool looking airsofters/Geardo's* are the best choice for winning any real conflict/war.

Sorry that we prefer Special Forces missions over Infantry/Vehicle missions.

This is a DLC Discussion Thread, no one said we can't talk about a SF DLC.

Okay, this is true for the current theater of operations in modern day Iraq/Afghanistan. But how can you say that SF would operate by the same standards if they were actually fighting a conventional modernized army? I have a feeling they wouldn't necessarily be rocking a beard and turban...

Edited by stupidwhitekid75