Sign in to follow this  
suma

69782 performance and stability feedback

How the patch 69782 works for you compared to earlier versions?  

108 members have voted

1. 1. How the patch 69782 works for you compared to earlier versions?

• Stunning - performance a lot better, a lot more stable
    • Great - performance is a lot better, no new crashes or stability issues
    • Good - performance is a little bit better, no new crashes or stability issues
    • Mixed - performance better, but unstable (sometimes crashing)
    • Stable - performance same or not improved much, but a lot more stable
    • Same - it seems the same, I cannot see any significant difference
    • Slower - it runs a little bit slower, no new crashes or stability issues
    • Bad - it runs slower, it is somewhat unstable
    • Terrible - it runs a a lot slower, or it is very unstable (crashes a lot)

Tested without any addons/mods = vanilla Arma2 with normal settings + viewdistance 2500m:

According to Benchmark 1 an Benchmark 2 this new beta build didnt increase/decrease fps. Tested even on low settings but the graphics went fubar = trees looks like molten glass + brown trees had a full cardboard shape instead of foliage. The VON slider isnt there in Audio options but the setting is in the Arma2profile.

In arma2.rpt there is a new entry:

Cannot register unknown string STR_INCOMPATIBLE_LOAD_GAME_ATTEMPT

^^thats weird. I had the VON slider in-game. Reinstall the beta maybe?

Did a small amount of testing in Chernarus last night on the system below with ACE (1650x1080, all settings high). When I spawn on the seafront crane in Chernagorsk I still get an inital delay on the inital loading of the building textures (mostly the white office building) though it was 5 seconds compared to the previous 10-12 seconds for vanilla 1.05 (for the white building to fully load). Overall the battle I set up (5 tanks either side plus approx 30 infantry each) 'felt' smoother once the textures had loaded.

I flew over Chernagorsk in an AV with the same battle going on and again it seemed smoother with less stutter. Also tried 5000 VD for a while and that was also playable, whereas before it was a slideshow.

One question I have is whether the new separate texture thread favours those with tri, quad and greater cores, and wonder if that is limiting those who are not seeing improvements ? I have a low spec dual which seems to be almost maxed out one core and heavily loaded on the other for most of the time, so maybe another core or two would help. I guess these changes could find their way into OA.

@Alex72

I did a complete clean reinstall of the beta + deleting the ArmA2.cfg and the profile (made a new profile).

Perhaps somekind of mix-up with patching different A2 versions? Shit happens...

But I think that I've seen the VON slider in the previous beta. :cool:

testet yesterday evening/night:

loaded addons: CBA, ACE, ACEX, ACEX_SM, ACEX_PLA, CSM2

I know, thats not the best way to test, but --> did this to compare to previous results + thats the way I play the game most of the time.

ingame-settings: see sig, except VD: 3200

methods:

(a)- loaded empty chernarus map (default world: chernarus in the launcher), joined the mission as a normal soldier and checked the FPS with Fraps.

(b)- did the benchmark 1, but only for a first check/in my eyes, this is not the best way to measure the performance, because the mission is too dynamic to get a accurate value of FPS.

results:

(a) 30-55 FPS on the empty map (50-55 on airfield, 35-40 in deep woods (SE of the airfield) and ~30 in the villages/cities (in this case: Pustoschka))

(b) tested 3 times and got an average value of 40 FPS

conclusion:

In my case there is no difference in performance to the previous beta except the texture bug is fixed (hopefully).

In general, performance is okay for me, but the performance of (online-)gaming in combination with a bigger number of ai (f.e. more complex Coops, Warfare, Domination) is a bigger problem (see here). Hopefully a fix for this issue is possible in any way.

@Alex72

I did a complete clean reinstall of the beta + deleting the ArmA2.cfg and the profile (made a new profile).

Perhaps somekind of mix-up with patching different A2 versions? Shit happens...

But I think that I've seen the VON slider in the previous beta. :cool:

This might sound really stupid. But since you had no increase/decrease in fps on the "benchmarks" and do not see the von slider - You are launching from the beta .exe file as well, right? :icon_neutral:

[edit]

Just so I'm not completely offtopic for Suma.

Haven't tested in aircraft over cities yet. But honestly I haven't felt much of an improvement during gameplay. No stability probs either. Without extensive testing though, I had a session on MP and things seemed to feel a little smoother.

AMD X4 965, win7, gtx260 :)

Edited by Dead3yez

What are your specs/settings? I've been having the Default Video Memory crash issue for a long time now, and so have some others it seems.

So do i which is why i don't have the video memory setting on default but on high :p

Specs:

Core i7 920

GTX 285

8GB DDR 3

WinXP 32Bit(My ram size is rather useless, i know)

Settings:

Everything on high

PP off(it looks terrible anyway)

1680x1050 @ 100%

VD @ 5000

Just becareful where you put any semi-colons to delimit mulitple commands... I found that it does not work the same as the normal game..

ie

this commands works...

"C:\Program Files\Bohemia Interactive\ArmA 2\beta\arma2.exe" -mod=beta -nosplash

and this command does not.

"C:\Program Files\Bohemia Interactive\ArmA 2\beta\arma2.exe" -mod=beta; -nosplash

it may look like it works ie the beta number is shown when it loads... but when you go to the Audio Adjustment area you will be missing the VON slider.... just got caught out on this.

Have fun...

gonk, will look at that maybe my old computer-science professor's "Don't forget a damn semi-colon!" got me ruled out. :o

I'm still getting a strange little stutter when moving about on foot. Movement seems less fluid than in previous betas especially when moving forward and strafing at the same time (i.e. forward and left). The stutter is like a strange little surge of movement.

Also both my cores seem maxed out all the time. Perhaps the stutter is caused when they both hit 100%? This beta seems to be hammering my CPU.

FWIW - Did a quick performance test on Utes last night and on my machine the stuttering I had in build 69645 improved quite a bit but it's still there and not as smooth as 1.05 final (simple test with me as infantry walking/running in terrain, no other units/scripts running).

FPS wise not much changed maybe loosed a few % but hard to say after just a quick test.

One question I have is whether the new separate texture thread favours those with tri, quad and greater cores, and wonder if that is limiting those who are not seeing improvements ? I have a low spec dual which seems to be almost maxed out one core and heavily loaded on the other for most of the time, so maybe another core or two would help. I guess these changes could find their way into OA.

Just like cjph I noticed that both my cores seems more loaded with the two latest builds. In my case core0 ~90% and core1 ~80% load in above mentioned test, my specification below...

Windows XP Pro

Intel C2D E6850 @ 3.41 GHz

2 GB RAM @ 1066 MHz

2 x Seagate ST3250620AS SATA-II 250 GB HDD

GeForce GTX 260 896 MB with drivers 191.07 WHQL

Testing continues when time permitts...

/KC

Edited by KeyCat

According to Benchmark 1 an Benchmark 2

Ignore ArmA2's original benchmarks, use some other software to measure FPS. Why? Because even if you have stuttering - ArmA2's benchmark won't reflect that (probably due to the FPS counter freezing as well). I've tested with 62017 and this beta and got the same FPS - but 62017 had stuttering and beta didn't.

1.05 vanilla was definitely smoother when on the ground. I got more fps and no stuttering. This latest Beta is great for flying, but not so good when you are playing infantry. I would go as far as saying I really dislike this Betas performance when playing as infantry.

I didn't really get much stuttering when flying in vanilla 1.05. Was this really an issue any more?

I'm getting a bit worried. the majority of people have voted good performance. For me this beta is taking the smooth performance of 1.05 vanilla and making it near unplayable like version 1.0 was.

Edited by stun

Flying is amazing in the beta definatelly. Removing grass when at faster speed flying is a good idea. Even at 10000VD when i fly now there is no lag/stutter at all. Super smooth.

Ground i have to test more on. The trees still kill the performance even on my new machine. They drag down FPS a lot.

Flying is amazing in the beta definatelly. Removing grass when at faster speed flying is a good idea. Even at 10000VD when i fly now there is no lag/stutter at all. Super smooth.

Compared to what, your old system?

Not comparing anything really. Just that the flying is very smooth. I can only report what i see on my current system and i agreed to what someone said about the flying being really smooth.

Lost a tiny bit of framerates (about 2%) compared to 69645, and about a 4% loss compared to plain 1.05. However much more smooth gameplay and texture loading, and the occasionally invisible ground seems to be gone now. Tested with a variety of settings through 8 different benchmarks.

System:

Windows XP Professional 32-bit SP3

Intel Core2 Duo E6750 @ 3.60GHz.

2x1GB Corsair Dominator DDR2 PC8500 @ 4-4-4-14

Gigabyte GA-P35-DS3 Bulk 1

ASUS Radeon HD4850 512MB, 10.4a beta drivers

Samsung 7200rpm 500GB SATA-II 16MB cache

ArmA2 settings:

Resolution: 1280x994 Windowed

3D resolution: 100%

View distance: 3000m

Texture detail: Normal/High

Video memory: Very high/Default

Anistropic filtering: Normal

Antialiasing: Disabled

Terrain detail: High

Objects detail: High

Shadow detail: High

Postprocessing: Disabled/Low

Edited by Inkompetent

Is it me or scripts have improved? I haven't played a lot, but I see a clear difference

Disappearing ground is fixed. Performance (FPS) is better with an empty map on Vista64. Performance on XP64 is the same as before but still considerably faster than Vista when actually playing a mission with AI etc.

I still get micro stuttering when the amount of content on the map (AI vehicles etc) force the frame rate to 30 or lower. I have not noticed any difference with texture streaming. For me that 30fps stutter inducing limit caused by lots of AI is still the killer (it is not streaming related, fps are at 30 but moving around the game world feels like about 10fps). I don't see why 30fps should not be smooth, just because the CPU is under load from AI. Some thing is wrong here.

I can't comment on stability as I have not been using it long enough yet.

Thanks for the VON audio slider :cool:

Still having trouble with hang ups.
Cause of the hang ups is exec of an empty (0 byte) sqs file. Once a comment was added to the empty sqs file (making it no longer empty), the hang ups no longer occurred.

Noticeable (~10%) decrease in framerate for me.

Athlon Dual Core @ 3.0, ATI HD4870/1GB @ Default (Catalyst 10.3)

Much better performance with long range visibility. 10k is smooth for me now with last two patches. Previously I had taken a big performance hit when I moved from XP to Win7. Now performance is equal to or better than XP, and far better in terms of visibility range.

Intel i7 920 @2.67, 6GB RAM, Radeon HD 4870/1GB, Win7

Edited by wchafe

No difference in FPS from the final with maybe more flickering though.

I'm just wondering, what are you guys running where 10k VD is smooth for you? Like for me, the framerate after it loads everything is fine, but when it's loading stuff (when turning around or moving quickly forward, etc) I get MASSIVE stutter, to the point where it's a total slideshow, until I've turned all the way around and it loads everything. Then sometimes, zooming in and out causes the same massive stutter (like, 2-3 seconds per frame). I'm running a pretty fast rig and have the game on an SSD, but I still get this issue. Any ideas what could be causing it?

With latest 2 Beta patches my FPS dropped in the BIS Benchmark Mission #1, by 2-4FPS in Average. From 30-32FPS down to ~28FPS. However it is noticable... :-(