Sign in to follow this  
ardvarkdb

TF86 Navy SEALs Pack

This is gold.

I agree. ;)

The ACU Textures for example in this one topic, were the most crisp and realistic looking i've ever saw made for any game. How can one say that they are not up to A2 standards? :confused:

They exceed them clearly! :)

I do agree however, that small things like no dirt and no signs of any wear isn't perfect, nor is it that in some areas the pattern size was different from other areas and so forth, but from the overall appearance already, his textures are brilliant!

If he fixes those little "bugs" im sure these textures are one of the best.

BTT:

I think the TF86 Textures are really blurred and look like low quality to me, however its not that of a factor for me. As long as the camo is working in PvP matches its OK.

Eye Orgasms from super-awesome textures on the TF86 Units wouldn't be bad either however :p:D

^FINALLY...Someone who makes sense.

To be honest it is quite lazy and doesn't give you the right to knock anyone's work.

Using a 4096x texture (hell even 8012x or whatever it started off as) and just placing a UCP swatch at higher res on it is really and 5min job, but we all start somewhere.

Working with textures that big, you'd expect to see every stitch, fold, rip and spot of dirt in detail and at that size a tiled pattern is important. If you can get the detail and keep it in the 2048, ill be impressed, it's a challenge I weirdly enjoy, but if your going to use textures double the size you'd expect to see every uniform detail and I'm going to assume your going to have to redo the normals in that size before the look as crisp as they can at distances.

Frankly I don't see the need after experimenting with 4096x, but blurry sleeves when zoomed right in on them dont really bother me, so to each there own, and the doubling of the end product file size when using larger textures would be another factor.

you are right, I basically place my texture on top of whatever was there (which is usually ACU..) and I am new at this stuff. Enad likes it, and other people like it.. so I keep trying. And as you said, we all start somewhere. It's just a fun thing to do for me until I get some original stuff for me to do, I don't like reskinning X and Y if it has been done before.

I'm not trying to knock his work, and in fact, I shouldn't of posted it at all. It's about his work, not mine, and this discussion should have NOTHING to do with my work. I'd rather not have this brought up here, because the only reason i posted it is because big mac wanted me to post my own stuff before I could criticize others (and of course i did it to satisfy him).

I agree. ;)

The ACU Textures for example in this one topic, were the most crisp and realistic looking i've ever saw made for any game. How can one say that they are not up to A2 standards? :confused:

I gave the reasons in my response. There are no seams, there are no creases, folds, shadow, or dirt in the cloth, and you can see where the tiled camo seams are. Its a 5 min hack job of tiling a large chunk of ACU picture he found online over the texture.

Hell, why should any of us worry about such things like ambient shadow maps, high poly modeling/sculpting, or realistic wear and tear when the community is content without it?

I'm confident the problem isn't with ardvarkdb's diffuse textures, since I've seen them myself and I'm telling you, they're as good of quality as anything else out there.

comparexw.th.jpg

And yeah...the whole 4096 thing is a waste. Most of the time you'll just be rendering the 1st or 2nd MIP and some cards won't render a 4096 at all.

Edited by scubaman3D

In my opinion, the ACU needs work. The other cams are okay. I know, my cam is very plain, it was a slap dash job that enad wanted me to do for him.

I looked at the originals, and I did not like what I saw.

also.. he sent you that? I sent it for him to see what my camo pattern looks like, it wasn't for him to compare. I wanted to send him the pattern i used. If he wanted to compare, then I would not of sent it to him.

edit:

you could argue the 4096 thing is a waste, but it looks better to me (on my rig (?)), so.. I don't know what to say.

edit2:

if you guys want to talk about my "newbie" work, PM me. This is irrelevant and is not constructive.

Edited by Fox '09

Luckily the people that use these units the most love them. I could probably download every addon posted in the BI forums and find some little fault. Ardvarkdb has invested alot of time into these units and I am pretty sure he would appreciate a pm stating a bug but this is just tit for tat stuff. Fox I like your style. You didnt like it so you fixed it yourself. People seem to forget that people make these addons in their own time for nothing except to make Arma2 even cooler. They were nice enough to release it to the community just to have some people nitpick small details.

Long story short

When you put the PBO files in your addons folders they work in Arma2. When you look at it and don't like what you are seeing it is as easy as pushing the delete key to make it go away. Report bugs and things that make the unit unplayable not small cosmetic things like a texture on an arm when I put my texture detail to normal.

Addon makers release their hard work to the community for all to use and enjoy

They do not release their hard work for everyone to complain and find every fault about it

Most of these addon makers are just amateur modellers, texture artists etc..

If you want more quality complain to BI not to the guys just trying to making the game more enjoyable

Edited by TheDudeAbides

I think the Dude hit the nail on the head here and with that I will say this once, stop posting about the blurry texture issue. I already said I was looking into it and as I and later Scubaman pointed out, it is probably caused by the normal map. I'm working on it, but I do this in my free time and I have a full time job that takes priority so try having some patience. I don't care who can do better textures, I don't care if my ACU texture isn't quite right, I care that my units are fun to use and that people enjoy using them. I'm not going to cater to everyone in the community so deal with it and learn to appreciate what you get. ***If you want to discuss texturing techniques and causes feel free to start another thread and I will be happy to join in the discussion there, but find another thread.

Edited by ardvarkdb

Even if there may be flaws to me these are the best Bluefor units ever made :)

And hey normally i dont even care a bit about addons for the Bluefor side. :D

All is good with the units, TF86 seals took it to another level for the addons units wise. Most people were just doing reskins, as ardvarkdb took it up to top level with the units of the TF86 Seals pack. Keep the good work going. Think in the next update we could see an weapon replacement?

Luckily the people that use these units the most love them. I could probably download every addon posted in the BI forums and find some little fault. Ardvarkdb has invested alot of time into these units and I am pretty sure he would appreciate a pm stating a bug but this is just tit for tat stuff. Fox I like your style. You didnt like it so you fixed it yourself. People seem to forget that people make these addons in their own time for nothing except to make Arma2 even cooler. They were nice enough to release it to the community just to have some people nitpick small details.

Long story short

When you put the PBO files in your addons folders they work in Arma2. When you look at it and don't like what you are seeing it is as easy as pushing the delete key to make it go away. Report bugs and things that make the unit unplayable not small cosmetic things like a texture on an arm when I put my texture detail to normal.

They do not release their hard work for everyone to complain and find every fault about it

If you want more quality complain to BI not to the guys just trying to making the game more enjoyable

Well said, that should be posted on every addons thread;)

Cant wait to use the units in OA!

TheDude is right. Ardvark put a lot of work in to this addon and it makes the people it was made for very happy. Everyone should be thankful he released this addon of such good quality, rather than attempting to point out flaws and complaining about them.

Edited by colonel stagler

the best of the best but i was wondering , is there going to be a AO version so they can use the backpacks ?

Long story short

Damn right! Sure there could be some flaws found but better an AddOn with some flaws then no AddOn at all!

Thanks for this gem Ardvarkdb! I surely appreciate all your work and time put into these.

Ardvarkdb your units rock, both the A1 and A2 guys you make get a run on my machine.

Once again thanks for your hard work.

do you have Combined Operations? if not, I don't think so, you guys should ask them to make an OA config.

Working on a small update to add some OA features to the SEALs. This will add proper thermal textures and backpacks for OA. Right now the units work fine for me in Arrowhead, but I also have Arma 2 installed, so I do not know if they work with just OA. The update will fix that issue, probably with multiple configuration files, one for Arma 2, one for ACE Arma 2 and one for OA.

Not sure on the time frame, but it will be out sooner or later.

Edited by ardvarkdb

Not sure on the time frame, but it will be out sooner or later.

Sweet :)

Edit: Oh wow you JUST edited out the other part....right before I could quote it. >:V

On OA standalone they have texture errors, the camelbak on the models is dependent on ArmA 2.

On OA standalone they have texture errors, the camelbak on the models is dependent on ArmA 2.

That is one of the issues I plan to fix. It's a rather easy fix too, so even better.

great to hear that a ARMA II : AO / CO update is comming i normaly use these guys in all my solo missions but with AO/CO i needed the backpack filled and so i needed to use one of the BIS special soldiers (they are bare headed so the boonie hats / helmets / caps etc. of the seals work like a charm) but then i was stuck using either graves, drake or herrera so no joy in creating captain Clark as a solo personality

Edited by supergruntsb78

Wondering also if you're thinking of ripping the shemaghs off the KSK guys and possibly adding those to the customization features? Make the various ones for the various environments, including a snow camo.