Sign in to follow this  
maddogx

Arma2 beta builds 1.05.6xxxx

-Game crashes over time with Video Memory set to Default

-Random crashes regardless of settings due to apparent memory leak

Yep. Really annoying bug. You play for hours and then suddenly everything is gone. And pretty consistently.

-Would be nice if game addressed more than 2 GB RAM, would probably help/fix the memory leak crashing issues, too.

a memory leak is a memory leak, and doesn't leave with more memory. If you give more memory you just delay the crash. The only solution is to fix it. Besides, I don't even get to 2 gigabytes: it crashes between about 1.1 and 1.3. I would like an answer to that one too

The problem you have sounds like it is mission based and nothing to to with the engine.

Not true, this is a "bug" due to the auto danger/combat mode feature introduced with a beta patch a while back. Hopefully it will get fixed with the OA release.

Yep. Really annoying bug. You play for hours and then suddenly everything is gone. And pretty consistently.

a memory leak is a memory leak, and doesn't leave with more memory. If you give more memory you just delay the crash. The only solution is to fix it. Besides, I don't even get to 2 gigabytes: it crashes between about 1.1 and 1.3. I would like an answer to that one too

So how come my ArmA never crashes? Maybe its your rig or the missions you're playing?

So how come my ArmA never crashes? Maybe its your rig or the missions you're playing?

I wish I had an answer. If you look in the troubleshooting you'll see that it's not just my problem. It usually appears with more complex missions; warfare BE is a great candidate. Some people, however, seem to not have this problem. One idea is that it's related to the view distance.

Personally I had the problem with my (old) laptop and with my desktop, on which I tried 3 different graphic cards, and I reinstalled OS and game twice.

hmm... sorry to say your full of shit. You have had a crash. Everybody who has played this game for a fair amount of time has had a crash. It doesnt matter if its a Mod/Mission/Hardware, that caused it, The game ARMA2 Does crash, will crash. Heck the WORST offender is Warfare....Its a Bis addon ect... Anyhoo, i have had long runs with out a crash(weeks), then boom! for whatever reason, you crash.And may have crashes for awhile... then , ahh no crashes for weeks... rinse, repeat.

I blame/point the finger at BIS and there engine. Its supposed to play nice with OSes...(took sometime for Vista/win7, and 64bit OSes), new hardware,more than 4GB of ram is the defacto standard....

I love the game , but dont think its always the users fault for issues...The game is very buggy/glitchy and is only really good with 3rd party tweaking/addons. Love the sandbox, hate the cat poo.

i partially agree with defunkt..

my game did crash every once in a while,

most of the time it was me messing with the shortcuts or a modification that gave conflicts..

i usualy played with viewdistance set to 4000 mtrs.

it was playable but when there was more AI the game starts to stutter a bit.

so now im playing at 1600 mtrs without AI causing problems, only the unresponsive team members... :(

but now i read KKLOWNBOY's reply

i must say 3 days ago my pc restarted after pressing the arma2 shortcut (playing with ACE2) most of the time.

i couldnt realy figure out why this happened.

i checked my shortcut and saw that the ACE mods line was not the same as it was- before.

normaly it was like: beta;cba;ace;acex;acex_sm;whatever but this time CBA came last in row.

so i changed it back to beta;cba;ace;acex;acex_sm;whatever, and till now it didnt crash.

M.O.R;1612278']damn ' date=' dear devs, plz do a beta patch..i get confused, i can't play coop's anymore..when i read in the description "all playable slots (if not human player=ai) have to reach extraction zone" i don't start the mission..because "go i cover"...this game is so god damn awesome, why don't you simply make it playable with ai again ? is it really that hard? i know many guys complained, me also..you did good work and i hope you also do good work on oa, but it's still a while 'till oa, so plz plz plz, re-do that auto-combat mode..i clean up your kitchen or your office or whatever, but plz do that..it pisses me off all the time, and i don't wanna play other bunny-hop-spraying-hihixD-kiddie-shooters without any sense then spraying around with overpowered guns (bfbc2 lol) ...c'mon mes amis...

P.S. : Do it tomorrow

cheers[/quote']

lol it's MOR

I'd love to see a beta patch too, but I think BIS is working pretty hard on OA right now.

lol it's MOR

I'd love to see a beta patch too, but I think BIS is working pretty hard on OA right now.

I personally exspect a patch around or short before the release of Operation Arrowhead...that assumption is most logic to me. And further I do exspect a massive split in the online community, more massive then the current ACE vs. non ACE split.

after OA it will be

ArmA2

ArmA2 ACE

OA without ArmA2

OA ACE

OA with ArmA2

OA with ArmA2 ACE

Edited by Beagle

I personally exspect a patch around or short before the release of Operation Arrowhead...that assumption is most logic to me. And further I do exspect a massive split in the online community, more massive then the current ACE vs. non ACE split.

after OA it will be

ArmA2

ArmA2 ACE

OA without ArmA2

OA ACE

OA with ArmA2

OA with ArmA2 ACE

Well correct me if I'm wrong, but OA is a standalone expansion, meaning you don't need ArmA 2 to play it. I'm not sure how the two games interact (if at all) but it seems more like it will be:

ArmA2

ArmA2 ACE

OA

OA ACE (?)

Well correct me if I'm wrong, but OA is a standalone expansion, meaning you don't need ArmA 2 to play it. I'm not sure how the two games interact (if at all) but it seems more like it will be:

ArmA2

ArmA2 ACE

OA

OA ACE (?)

OA is a standalone ADDON!

You can install it as ADDON or standalone.

It is meant to update ArmA II and all old units in ArmA II to OA standard.

Guess what will happen...same as with "Resistance" addon back in 2003...it became the standard version for Online Play.

I think it much more likely OA will install standalone (only) but can reference ArmA2 content if also installed. Perhaps we're saying the same thing.

OA with ARMA2 ACE FTW

"It is meant to update ArmA II and all old units in ArmA II to OA standard."

ARMA2 units etc will not be updated when you install OA AFAIK. OA will add brand new factions with new units and gear/vehicles that have the FLIR layer and the improved faces etc. I dont think OA when installed replaces the ARMA2 units/gear/vehicles to OA standard as you say. Never seen BIS say that. However ive seen them say ARMA2 units/vehicle/gear/islands will work in OA but will lack the new stuff such as FLIR layer, new improved faces etc etc.

Maybe i missed something though?

"It is meant to update ArmA II and all old units in ArmA II to OA standard."

ARMA2 units etc will not be updated when you install OA AFAIK. OA will add brand new factions with new units and gear/vehicles that have the FLIR layer and the improved faces etc. I dont think OA when installed replaces the ARMA2 units/gear/vehicles to OA standard as you say. Never seen BIS say that. However ive seen them say ARMA2 units/vehicle/gear/islands will work in OA but will lack the new stuff such as FLIR layer, new improved faces etc etc.

Maybe i missed something though?

Im very sure the "old" vehicles will use the new radar and FLIR in the revamped engine, its just the textures that are different, they will work all the same in one game. At least that is what the german review said.
Arma 2-Kompatibilität und alte Schwächen Um Arrowhead spielen zu können, müssen Sie das Hauptspiel nicht besitzen. Die Erweiterung ist ein so genanntes Stand-Alone-Addon, funktioniert also wie ein eigenständiges Spiel. Arma 2-Käufer können die beiden Titel aber verbinden und so die Inhalte im jeweils anderen Spiel nutzen, beispielsweise in der Armory oder im Editor. Auch die Verbesserungen aus Arrowhead wie der neue Radar oder die besseren Zielkreuzanzeigen werden ins Hauptspiel übernommen.
Edited by Beagle

Re: FLIR I think the issue is that additional information is required for the vehicles to show up correctly when viewed through FLIR; because the Arma 2 and earlier content won't have the information about which parts of the vehicle get warm first. So if you look at an OA vehicle that's just started up through FLIR, you'll see its engine bay and exhaust system becoming warm, and probably the tyres after it's been moving for a while. A pre-OA vehicle won't have that data, and will just use some kind of generic IR effect.

---------- Post added at 09:02 PM ---------- Previous post was at 09:01 PM ----------

Additional thought: you is FLIR activated in OA? If it's a separate viewmode then it's likely old vehicles won't have the configuration information to tell the game engine that the vehicle is FLIR-equipped and what the sight should look like.

There are at least 2 OA threads - why derailing ArmA2 BETA PATCH TESTING: Arma2 beta builds??

There are at least 2 OA threads - why derailing ArmA2 BETA PATCH TESTING: Arma2 beta builds??

Because OA is what they're working on OTHER THAN new beta builds! :p

But yeah, thread has kind of gone off-topic...

There are no new betas for a reason, that's what this is about.

For those not watching the main testing forum, there's a new beta!!!

Thread about it is here: http://forums.bistudio.com/showthread.php?t=98190

Patch is at the usual place and also mirrored here.

[69599]  Optimized: Texture loading done on background thread. 
  [68990]  Improved: Reduced stutter when looking around, esp. with visibility 5 km or more. 
  [68694]  Reduced parallax map artifacts on sloped terrain. 
  [68157]  HDRPrecision 16 or 32 respected when users selects it and card supports it. 
  [68030]  MP: Changed bandwidth estimation defaults as almost all players use broadband connection. 
  [67312]  Fixed: AI is now able to take off with Camel airplane addon. 
  [67033]  Improved AI airplane landing from very high altitude. 
  [66997]  Optimized: Grass not rendered when flying high and fast, schould reduce stutter. 
  [65703]  New: Units report when reloading in combat situations. 
  [65703]  New: Units report when throwing grenades in combat situations. 
  [65679]  Fixed: AI Units called "covering" repeatedly while reloading. 
  [65656]  "Cover me", "Covering" was often told repeateadly after busy radio channel periods. 
  [65605]  Optimized: Fixed problems caused on some Vista systems by running too many threads at the same time. 
  [64561]  New: Scripting function hideObject. 
  [64056]  Fixed: Shining glasses on head preview in "edit player" menu. 

If this fixes the Default video memory crash, I will love you long time. ^__^

I can't seem to get it to install, when I run the patch I get the following message Arma2 is not currently installed or is corrupt.

The game is installed and working perfectly, I don't have any addons.

Re-installed and get the same problem.

Version is 1.05.62017.

Just FYI, it did not fix the Default video memory setting crash. Same "v-buffer creation error" as before, along with it seems a new error, something about "Vertex buffer, out of memory?" I posted in it the other beta thread.