Sign in to follow this  
maddogx

Arma2 beta builds 1.05.6xxxx

As a newer player should I install the beta patch?

Have a look at the changelog and see if there's anything that particularly interests you (I think the official 1.05 patch was build 62492, so only changes later than that are relevant for the beta page). Depending on how new you are, it might not be worthwhile; the purpose of the betas is to gather feedback on changes that are made, but if you don't know how it used to work it's hard to decide whether the changes are an improvement or not.

Of course, there's nothing that says if you're running the beta you have to provide feedback etc. But as it's a beta, it's just as likely to break things as it is to improve things.

The changelog needs some updating?

Current beta version : 63826, but the last changelog entry is from 63164.

Yeah, i.e. the new sound volume controller (no proper gui until full version, just a slider for now) isn't mentioned at all.

do i need to install the beta patch on my dedicated server server side when i have it client side to see the efffects ?

No, the last patch came out on the 2nd of January, 2010. v1.05.63826.

Because, personally, I consider BIS' beta patches to be real patches considering how much they fix the game and how much (99% of the time) they don't break the game.

Can you believe,the last real patch came out 12-23-09....:confused:

And what exactly is your point?

do i need to install the beta patch on my dedicated server server side when i have it client side to see the efffects ?

Depends which computer is responsible for it. For example, AI members of a player's group are run on that player's PC, so if they have the beta patch their AI should show any changes made in the beta. But AI that don't belong to a group will be run by the server, so if the server isn't running the beta then any changes made in the beta obviously won't be in effect.

We need a performance patch,to stop the game play lagggggggggg...If this game was smooth all the time,I would be happy.

No, the last patch came out on the 2nd of January, 2010. v1.05.63826.

Because, personally, I consider BIS' beta patches to be real patches considering how much they fix the game and how much (99% of the time) they don't break the game.

You haven't had any issues with the beta patch? I'd held off because I didn't know how it would work with all the mods out there.

It doesn't change enough from v1.05 to break mods or missions, but it has lots of nice other fixes.

You haven't had any issues with the beta patch? I'd held off because I didn't know how it would work with all the mods out there.

What Zipper said. And to add another thing the beta is installed separately with its own launch icon. Your usual 1.05 game is not messed with at all. This makes beta testing very nice and easy. Plus the beta is in general always better than the latest official patch due to the fixes. However sometimes features etc are tested for the first time in a beta wich can result in some things being broken. That is rare though. I always use the latest beta.

We need a performance patch,to stop the game play lagggggggggg...If this game was smooth all the time,I would be happy.

+1 for performance

I think if BIS could fix performance, they would have done it already... But I guess we should not stop hoping.

There are much more important things to be fixed than performance. For me, I get exactly the performance I need to enjoy a game like ArmA II. Only games that I need a high framerate for are twitch FPS games like MW2 and BC2. ArmA II is fine at 20 to 60 FPS.

I'm kinda getting the feeling people think performance is just a problem with the engine. Not that much, it's more fault of Chernarus, which is sprayed with objects and (from what quite alot of people already reported) mainly, resource-hogging buildings.

However, fixing those buildings would probably require tens to hundreds of hours and the patch would get extremely big.

IF Bohemia is ever going to try that, I'm hoping they do it after Arrowhead will be released, so they're not dragged away from it before it's released and that could've caused alot of nasty bugs to appear in OA.

What Zipper said. And to add another thing the beta is installed separately with its own launch icon. Your usual 1.05 game is not messed with at all. This makes beta testing very nice and easy. Plus the beta is in general always better than the latest official patch due to the fixes. However sometimes features etc are tested for the first time in a beta wich can result in some things being broken. That is rare though. I always use the latest beta.

Thank you Alex, that's exactly what I needed to hear! :)

Not that this has anything to do with ArmA II, but I read that Codemasters dont make patches for OFP2 anymore, so im just so happy that I bought this game, and that BIS keeps supporting it with both patches and beta patches. I love you! OFP2 is a damn joke!

When AI go into combat/danger mode you as leader almost looses control of them and they dance around to the endless "Go i'm covering" song. As long as they know about an enemy they won't come out of combat/danger mode. When they are in combat/danger mode it's a real hassle to get them to perform any actions like: Heal, Get In, Move there & Regroup.

I have tried many times moving in the open towards a city and a then like 100 meters away from the city we get spotted, then AI stops up, go prone, start firing at the enemy and no matter what i do they refuse to run to cover. Usually it ends with me standing in cover at the edge of the city looking at my squad getting slaugthered in the open!

I believe the problem started with this:

[60718] Changed: AI now goes to Combat behaviour automatically only when under fire, not when player is prone.

Please fix this!

Yes, thats a serious problem in large missions where you should try to avoid unnecessary fighting. AI members refuse to withdraw (or follow you) when underfire which make many missions almost unplayable. The bug is even worse with ACE2 mod. I hope that there will be fix since I havent played much the game after the bug arrived and my 0,6 year SP-mission project is really having big problems with it too.

Also the medics are ultra slow to heal anyone when there is fighting nearby. They also ingore the "aware"-command and may run minutes around while the injured men are dieing next to them.

In games like this the group commanding should be the most important thing to work good any time. I hope we get the fixes to those flaws since overally the latest version is very great.

Edited by SaOk

Signed, signed and signed again.

I really hope BIS is taking 2 days workstop on OA, so this almost gamebreaking thing is fixed with a new Betapatch....Please Guys!

Just wanted to write down exact the same experiences/issues with the ai which JW Custom mentioned-so no need for double post :cool:.

PlZ fix this-the game is not far away from being really good after all the (beta)patches. In general, the new combat-mode is also good, but plz make it choosable (e.g make the new ai behavior only be present if you press "unit*7*2").

In my opinion, ordering your own ai-sqad effectly is one of the main points why this game is so good.

When AI go into combat/danger mode you as leader almost looses control of them and they dance around to the endless "Go i'm covering" song. As long as they know about an enemy they won't come out of combat/danger mode. When they are in combat/danger mode it's a real hassle to get them to perform any actions like: Heal, Get In, Move there & Regroup.

I have tried many times moving in the open towards a city and a then like 100 meters away from the city we get spotted, then AI stops up, go prone, start firing at the enemy and no matter what i do they refuse to run to cover. Usually it ends with me standing in cover at the edge of the city looking at my squad getting slaugthered in the open!

I believe the problem started with this:

[60718] Changed: AI now goes to Combat behaviour automatically only when under fire, not when player is prone.

Please fix this!

+1

Please address this issue BI. This is a serious issue and has caused me to just shut Arma2 down quite a few times out of frustration. Not sure why this ticket has been expired, maybe because it is hard to reliably reproduce but it is certainly there.