Sign in to follow this  
sickboy

A.C.E. Advanced Combat Environment - Public Beta *2*!

OK, I'm hearing a lot about the medic system and how it needs to be accessed with the right windows key, but I'm rather incopetent at computers so I have absolutely no clue what that is. I don't see any windows key on my keyboard, other than the one on the left side. Also, what's ephidermine, and what's the difference between it and morphine. And what's the difference between all the different types of bandages (i.e splints, bandages, heavy bandages, tourneqits, etc.) Also, what do you use IV and plasma for. I'm not a military buff like a lot of other players so I don't know that much abou these kinds of things.

And in response to my last post about 20 or so pages ago. I restarted and gave my medic everything he could carry, but after one battle he was all out except for different types of bandages. I don't think he healed anyone, so I think he just got hit once and used them all on himself at once. (just a theory). Anyway to prevent that from happening?

Edited by fakename2

The armour system seems to be better than before in that it used to take 30+ mines to disable a tank, now it takes <10, which is obviously better.

On the subject of mines, who do I need to complain to that mines only destroy tracked vehicles and not wheeled vehicles? :)

Grats for the new developments ACE team!

However the new armor system makes one eye laughing and one eye crying for me, it could still use some work (don't take it offensely please). I played a bit around with it, there are more aspect to look at, I just give some first impressions.

What I like about it:

-vehicles don't become burned out wrecks immediately;

-different levels of damages on the vehicles (smoking turret, burning engine...);

-Crew damaging system is good idea and well executed (not neccesarily all of them die)

What I dislike (concrete examples):

-sometimes two AGM-65s neccesary into a T-72A only to take out the crew (not to destroy the tank);

-T-72As sometimes can take so many rounds from a GAU-8 you could sink a Nimitz-class mothership with that quantity;

-frontal armor of a T-72A is impenetrable even with M829 SABOT rounds (I'll test Abrams and T-90 too);

-Zsu-23 Shilka, BMP, even BRDM cannot be destroyed with one M830 HEAT (which seems interesting to me, I thought it is a very capable anti-armor round which can easily take out even older MBTs - T-55, T-62, T-72A)

Later I'll test out some more, I just liked to convey my first hand experience, and I'm curious what's the experience of others with the system.

i made an bug report http://dev-heaven.net/issues/show/8517

Please reply with you`re experience

On the subject of mines, who do I need to complain to that mines only destroy tracked vehicles and not wheeled vehicles? :)

Just make a ticket at DH. I'm surprised someone hasn't done that yet over there.

Just make a ticket at DH. I'm surprised someone hasn't done that yet over there.

Well I'll have to find out if the issue is with ArmA2 or ACE2 first I suppose. I already made one ticket over there in the wrong place today :D

Hey guys,

A few questions;

- How do I disable flashlights? I don't want the player to be able to use one.

- Why does the flashlight display script errors when switching it off, and will this affect anything important?

And finally;

- Why does the flashlight move up and down so slow, and jumpily? It moves side-to-side perfectly, but it's so clumsy up-and-down. Breaks immersion, to an extent.

Cheers.

Does anyone know? I don't have any understanding of how you guys set up the flashlight system, so that's why I'm asking (:

Did you update the ace_keys.hpp as well? The keys should be there.

Yes the keys are in the config all setup fine and dandy. So what im asking is when i now press M for map .. what am I supposed to see?

IE: normal compass, watch, map coords & the new compass by default? All I see is the usual but no other new compass, the keys mainly ref drawing tools:

class ace_sys_maptools // These binds are specific to the map. Other keys will work, but might cause actions out side of the map.

{

class Place_Ruler

{

key = 35; // H Default

};

class Align_Ruler

{

key = 36; // J Default

};

class Start_Drawing

{

key = 26; // [ Default, holding to free hand draw, clicking once to place origin.

};

class End_Straight_Line

{

key = 27; // ] Default, holding while draging will drag straight line around origin, clicking will draw from origin to that point.

};

class Delete_Line

{

key = 43; // \ Default. Do not try to bind this to backspace or delete because the map over rides their calls and it wont work.

};

};

... and no "on" option, so what should happen so im clear on this? I have latest 231 all working as per normal. Configs in user config as normal as well (had to re edit userconfig again due to update so they all updated fine with Yoma).

Edited by mrcash2009

Does anyone know? I don't have any understanding of how you guys set up the flashlight system, so that's why I'm asking (:

-Can't

-Never seen that. Check the bug tracker at DH and if there's not a report make one. I've never seen anyone else mention this as well. Maybe it's the mission or a conflict. Either way a bug report should be made and more info about the problem and setup would help them.

-Not sure. I really haven't noticed this either. This would be a good bug report as well.

I would like to use VOP Sound mod "Environment" and "Gear" along with just AcexSM as my only sounds, can I simply place those pbo's from VOP into the AcexSM folder? if not what is best way to do this, thanks all.

Yes the keys are in the config all setup fine and dandy. So what im asking is when i now press M for map .. what am I supposed to see?

IE: normal compass, watch, map coords & the new compass by default? All I see is the usual but no other new compass, the keys mainly ref drawing tools:

... and no "on" option, so what should happen so im clear on this? I have latest 231 all working as per normal. Configs in user config as normal as well (had to re edit userconfig again due to update so they all updated fine with Yoma).

If you go to the map, initially you see nothing new. It looks the same. But then hold the ACE compass key and it brings up a new clear compass. Then use the other key to draw lines, align the compass, etc.

---------- Post added at 06:34 PM ---------- Previous post was at 06:32 PM ----------

I would like to use VOP Sound mod "Environment" and "Gear" along with just AcexSM as my only sounds, can I simply place those pbo's from VOP into the AcexSM folder? if not what is best way to do this, thanks all.

Just use the VOP mod folder but place the unwanted .pbo's in a new folder called Disabled.(Create that folder inside the @VOP\AddOns folder. That way you keep the sound mod files separate.

Make sure you add both mod folder names to the target line too.

Can you even use these 2 together? I never knew.

How does one add those lights that you attach to yourself, to an inventory? I couldn't find the classnames.

And will the AI auto-equip, or is there a command for that too?

Been in the biki, checked the config file, searched via "compass" etc.

Ok, stupid dumbass time :

If you go to the map, initially you see nothing new. It looks the same. But then hold the ACE compass key and it brings up a new clear compass. Then use the other key to draw lines, align the compass, etc.

Enlighten me of which this is ... compass for me = "k" ... pressing that does nothing when in map, tried right click, left click and then each key on my keyboard in a game of "key-bind roulette" while in the map and nothing again :), I am now stumped by the most trivial of issues .. its shameful, I feel so unclean :icon_wink: :depressed:

Edited by mrcash2009

i made an bug report http://dev-heaven.net/issues/show/8517

Please reply with you`re experience

I would stay clear of it in the first place, ACE team is working continously on the project. Before I report anything I'd like to know what other people are experiencing, yet I have a lot of aspect to survey (Hellfires, hand-held and crew served AT systems like Metis and TOW, opfor tank rounds/rockets, Bushmasters, different RPG warheads ectect...)

All I say that inconsistencies can be found, however if -for instance- tuning down the AP capabilities of the M830 HEAT is for playability reason, then I don't recommend anything.

For now I will report my findings here and discuss it out with others, to try and help out ACE team in their future development.

In my experience, using parts of Vop with ACE only works if you load VopSound first in the startup line. And you have to delete the ACE_SM sounds you don't want.

SixUpdater restores them so I have to go and delete the four ACE rifle sounds every time, but it works.

Does the search/disarm and arrest options in the menu do anything yet?

Make sure your unit has the Map Tools, you should see it in your gear as an item, next to your map and compass and stuff.

I am not sure if its in the current distro of Dom, but you can add it in the editor by going adding this to the units init field:

this addWeapon "ACE_Map_Tools";

---------- Post added at 05:28 PM ---------- Previous post was at 05:26 PM ----------

Been in the biki, checked the config file, searched via "compass" etc.

Ok, stupid dumbass time :

Enlighten me of which this is ... compass for me = "k" ... pressing that does nothing when in map, tried right click, left click and then each key on my keyboard in a game of "key-bind roulette" while in the map and nothing again :), I am now stumped by the most trivial of issues .. its shameful, I feel so unclean :icon_wink: :depressed:

As long as you have the Map Tools you should see the clear compass on your map screen. It does NOT replace the compass you use in first person mode. They are different types of compasses (the in game one is a lensatic compass, used to sight objects and read their bearing, the tools one is a flat map compass used to triangulate on the map angles and distances). It should be down in the lower left hand corner of the map... zoom all the way out, you should find it.

If it does not appear, press and hold H and then click on the map and it should pop up.

All of this though only if you have the actual ACE_Map_Tools weapon/item.

THE NEW ARMOR SYSTEM COMPLETES ARMA2!!!!!

This is sorely lacking in ArmA2! At last tanks survive in combat like what they are SUPPOSED to be! Thank you ACE TEAM!!!

UPDATE: APCs can survive RPG-7 rounds without exploding AT LAST!!!!!!! GEEEZ!~~~~ The end of the reign of RPGs~~! RPG-7VRs are now deadly as hell... one shot killed on T-72s... carry 3 of these and oh oh... the return of RPG tank busters...

Edited by jasonnoguchi

Hey, i fixed my last problem, so ignore my last posts. Anyway, I'm wondering if in this game silencers decrease weapon power. Because I have literally shot prone enemies 5 times in a row with a silenced sniper rifle without them dying, or even seeming to take notice. Now this might be lag, or me confusing live prone enemies with dead ones, since usually it takes one or two shots to take out a standing or crouching enemy. I also realize that it is more realistic that enemies don't just die from 2 hits in the arm, but they also don't accurately return fire after being hit multiple times, but this is exactly what happened. This sound like a glitch or is it actually how the system works?

@fakename2. Thats how it works. especially for silenced ammo. It depends heavily on where you hit the enemy. If you hit the arms and legs, they could take up to 6 or 7 hits to die proned. The default arma game allows a prone subject to take up to 6 hits before dying. If you want to kill someone with one shot close up, the only 2 weapons that seem to do that consistently for me so far is the shotgun and the desert eagle.

---------- Post added at 03:40 AM ---------- Previous post was at 03:34 AM ----------

Armor system testing feedback:

I tested the RPG-7VR against the side armor of an Abrams and a T-72. The T-72 would take only one round to the side and went fubar skyhigh while the Abrams took 5 hits and sustained turret and mobility kill only. I repeated the test 3 times with consistent results... is the RL armor between the T-72 and M1A1 so different?

Also, I noticed a HUGE difference in the power of the AT-4 and the SMAW HEAA. The SMAW HEAA would kill a T-72 with one shot to the front while the AT-4 would do almost nothing to the front armor of a T-72... is that how it is in RL too?

These are just feedback and I would be excited to know that it is the way it is in RL too. :) Having big performance variance leads to better decision making when gearing up which is a good thing. Just need to know. :)

Edited by jasonnoguchi

Will there be documentation for everything?

More specifically, I'm wondering how we can get AI to utilize things in ACE like gasmasks, "JUMP OUT" actions, "Pull ripcord" actions etc.

I've looked on the wiki but haven't found a list of actions and stuff. I did find the classnames though, which is nice. As long as things are documented well, mission makers won't have too much of a headache :D

I could remove it, but to be honest it helps because it gives you your persons bearing, you can use the map compass to align on that if you want, or just set it by looking, but it does help a bit, at least for me, so I don't forget the bearing I had sighted when I'm on the map.

Nouber do we take out mapplus now that Ace has Maptools?

I tested the RPG-7VR against the side armor of an Abrams and a T-72. The T-72 would take only one round to the side and went fubar skyhigh while the Abrams took 5 hits and sustained turret and mobility kill only. I repeated the test 3 times with consistent results... is the RL armor between the T-72 and M1A1 so different?

Yes there is a big difference ;).

Also, I noticed a HUGE difference in the power of the AT-4 and the SMAW HEAA. The SMAW HEAA would kill a T-72 with one shot to the front while the AT-4 would do almost nothing to the front armor of a T-72... is that how it is in RL too?

SMAW HEAA is made to penetrate reactive armor, so yes this is how it is in RL as well :)

@Zeron, thanks a lot! :) That distinction certainly wasn't clear in the default game. Thanks ACE team! :) That made driving armored vehicles so much more fun now and with so much more tactical consideration! Love the new effect where the vehicle would burn but remain drivable for a significant while before going fubar, this really allows more aggressive players like me to press on in the burning vehicle for that last few moment before bailing out. :)

Nouber do we take out mapplus now that Ace has Maptools?

Yes. They both share the same key bindings and that would probably cause some interesting things to appear on your map! :p

Probably be releasing the standalone of MapPlus2 soon as well (exact same features of the Map Tools) but you only need one or the other.