Sign in to follow this  
snkman

Group Link 4 Special FX Edition

Do you use the "Script/Mission Based" initialize?  

69 members have voted

1. 1. Do you use the "Script/Mission Based" initialize?

• Yes
    • No
    • Sometimes

Thats sad to hear, but I'm not asking for changes as much as help using what is already available

Uh, GL4 (latest version via six-updater) shows me the enemy (AI only?) on the map, even ones which are far away from me or any other teammates.

Can anybody else reproduce that?

*edit

Oops, sorry.. I should have read the previous page.. Anyway it should be fixed or turned off by default.

Edited by idl0r

Hello, I want to give GL4 a go but I still have some questions after reading the readme/features pdf.

I'm also using ace2 so I apparently have to add all the new weaponclasses to some list so GL4 recognize the sound level they generate?

Is there such a list already made for ace2? and maybe even acex?

I searched this thread but came up short.

the second question is about the AI, what tactics will they use on their own?

will they work together flanking/suppressing etc?

I also read that they can man static weapons, sit idle and occupy buildings with specific waypoints, will I require to place a lot of waypoints if I want the enemy to patrol around and if they, or another unit near them gets attacked, have the option to hide/wait in building and not only charge ahead. or will the AI be random about those actions as well?

I read that you can set them to a defensive behaviour if you want them to enter buildings but then they don't attack instead?

the second question is about the AI, what tactics will they use on their own?

will they work together flanking/suppressing etc?

I am coming from this as someone who is not interested in writing scripts or changing what the developer of the mod has done, simply to have things work as near to real as pos.

I put the GL4 'Defend' module on the map first, don't place any enemy AI just myself as a separate unit of the same side but not country (Baf with US small group) so I can watch basically, I place a small fire team on the map no waypoints or change simply place them, don't sync anything just for a try out. It took around 30secs for the module to kick in which when it does so is visible if your standing watching, after this they went into a semi 'Combat' mode and checked out inside buildings, looked around and generally did what a small unit would do prior to settling in to garrison and wait. I had US standing at doors or windows waiting for engage orders should they hear or see something and their CO order them to react, moving from time to time from building position to other building positions.

I do much of my AI checking on 'Vostok' island, no particular reason just good camps not too fussy for this type of test and the FPS is very good with not too much clutter going on.. the camp used was ‘Nikagda’ its split into two so comes in handy for an engagement test I did after. Now reading the GL4 ‘readme’ it says sync a enemy AI to the module but I did not do this and it still seemed to work out fine for this simple test but later on in other tests you have to sync to get things really going.

The general reaction of the AI is very good, close (within reason) of a real situation in what is perceived to be a reasonably safe environment, when in buildings they took up quite good positions, doorway and windows, even checking some rooms out although not all rooms (this may be too much to ask of AI at the moment) , I found this a good test and was very happy with the simple result.

Next: I did the exact same but this time I became the enemy however still not synced to the module but everything else the same, I put myself in the north-eastern part of the camp with the US group in the south-western part. I waited for the module to kick in and to give them time to settle into a waiting garrison mode, I let off a round, not near or in sight of them simply into the air, then took to a recon mode myself, they heard and indeed as expected reacted to the shot, using two of the group they started to carefully check out the area whilst the other two stayed mainly garrisoned in buildings although shifting from building to building every now and then in a search type mode. The other two were reasonably well equipped to carry out a brief search, after which they went back to waiting only moving from building to building from time to time, they were not going to investigate too far as there were no other support units to call in on the map, try and secure the area your in and wait, seemed like a good idea to me. Now I want to get seen so shoot toward their area not to kill as I want them to search me out and then get stuck in. All the US (4) begin to actively pinpoint my position, I let them know whereabouts I am then move, they react within reason as a real unit would, moving carefully and steadily using cover to confront my position whilst two left the camp via the bottom of the fence, which we all rely on from time to time, and set about flanking my last known position. We had a game of cat and mouse for a while until they got me into a position whereas they could extract a good result from their perspective, i.e. they shot me, although to be fair I didn't do too much to stop them. On the whole a great result to the test, not too dissimilar to the inbuilt AI although a little more intelligent and better as it came from a more realistic starting point (garrisoned position).

Overall to cut what is becoming an essay.. GL4 after many other tests which I carried out acted realistically, calling in backup when needed, providing you put the re-enforcement module on the map, and setting about some very good manoeuvring/flanking tactics which description I can post if wanted. I use GL4 with Zeus-Ace which seems to give a more intelligent side to other AI reaction modes and behaviour.

A+ score I would say for GL4 and Zeus-Ace and with what’s available about the best mix imho.

Apologies to everyone if my input is too long..

I read that you can set them to a defensive behaviour if you want them to enter buildings but then they don't attack instead?

You can set them to the classes they have listed and they will attack if they feel confident to do so bringing in support that is available if needed and using what they have available in a very intelligent way. I have tested whereby two members of a small fire team unit are sent forward to recon whilst two stay back, then not engaging with enemy but instead returning and collecting the other two and setting about a flanking manoeuvre provided they believe a result is possible and have good odds, they will not take on large groups if they are a small group unless there is support available, but will certainly take on a unit of approx the same size similarly equipped..that’s got to be good and indeed sensible..

I think BIS gave us on the whole great AI, with the tweaks they have made and the mod’s available I think its about the best we can expect from what is a sim that you really, if using the editor, have to put the work into the planning and setting out of a mission, the AI will react in quite amazing ways if the support is available for any given situation..

Testing is sometimes more enjoyable than making a mission.. No hang-on rephrase that, its much more enjoyable because the testing is like mini missions..the only drawback is that you can sometimes see the potential but often don’t have the time to bring the true potential out..But thats just the nature of a great game/sim.

Thanks for the answer HR4 Elite, this sounds like something I have to try.

I will try gl4 first and then together with zeus-ace to see what the difference is. wouldn't they overwrite each other?

Edited by Taxen0

Thanks for the answer HR4 Elite, this sounds like something I have to try.

I will try gl4 first and then together with zeus-ace to see what the difference is. wouldn't they overwrite each other?

No they don’t seem to conflict, I followed a running order that is on the forum here somewhere (will try to find it and link), its a running order based on the Beta version but I think will work for both as I have the two types in my PC with or without Beta and the same type of outcomes seem identical, it had GL4 first followed by Zeus, it is someone else’s test results that seem well worked out. I use six updater as I have very little PC knowledge (learning as I move along) to put everything in order and this seems to update and load mod’s that are deemed to be the best (nobody shout if that’s not the case just IMO), however it does not load the mod’s in order of perhaps the best running order (load order), if you use the updater I simply started to number priorities the running list, I have done this many times in many different orders to see what outcomes seem the best, as said in my earlier post I want the realism from the AI, to me its the most important as its very nice to have great graphics and effects but if the AI are bad its just not as real as it can be. So that said I put my load order as CBA followed by all the Ace ones then AI GL4 first then Zeus-Ace next, this is all before effects and any graphic enhancements they follow after the AI in effects order then any graphic tweaks then all the armies, weapons, islands etc, I have lost count of the islands I have all are really well laid out in their own ways (although some tend to eat FPS). In six updater I have copied and renamed the preset ‘A2 OA-A.C.E.’ and in return have done several presets named for example: ‘Dif order1 - A2 OA—A.C.E.’ then load the priority running list via the ‘Prio’ input along to the right off each MOD, I have learned from this and other forums to run backwards for example they set Beta at –9999 (minus 9999) so as not to be out-ordered I presume. I then start at –200 and go down from there (–200 being CBA), you probably know a lot of this already but I am coming from the direction of limited PC knowledge and of getting the sim running without the need to spend time learning how to section everything, six updater does it so why bother yourself, it simply needs tweaking around with and I only really mean ‘MOD running orders’.

Something that must be said is I start and run the sim/game from the updater directly from the preset to ensure the running order i.e. Highlight the preset from the preset column then right click followed by ’Updater Actions’ then ’Install or Update and start game’ if I don’t want to update going into the game I just go to ‘startgame’. I can list what seems to me to be the best running order I have in full if you would like. I have read this and many forums which can be daunting to people like me who don’t really have great PC knowledge as its seems to be all about MOD folders messing around with script etc that I just don’t want and at the mo can’t do, my belief is the sim & mod makers have put the effort into making it run the best with the best outcomes so why change or fiddle with it just IMHO. They know the product they are producing the best, so I trust in their knowledge, a simple tweak here and there seems to be adequate. I expect you know most of this already but if someone comes across this post like myself who is looking for a quick and very easy method then this is one way to get a really realistic sim out of very little input PC wise.

A sim that can really be as close to the real thing as its pos via PC or console I think, Arma2 is without question the best of its type, possibly the only of its type, 'only my opinion', just thought I would add that :).

Is there anyway just to turn off GL4's wounding system. I prefer Vanilla — not that it isn't good just not my cup of tea. Everything is awesome!

I didn't know anything about setting mod orders before this so thanks.

I guess I should load it like this: CBA, ACE, ACEX, GL4, Zeus_ACE, DAC, others

You can disable the wound system in the userconfig...

I didn't know anything about setting mod orders before this so thanks.

I guess I should load it like this: CBA, ACE, ACEX, GL4, Zeus_ACE, DAC, others

Yes that’s the way I would do it, worth thinking to leave some gaps for example;

-200 CBA

-199 ACE

-198 ACEX etc..

Then when you get past the ACEX mods/addons start leaving a gap for example;

-180 GL4

-177 Zeus Ace

-174 DAC etc..

Leaving a space of say three is just to allow you to slip in anything that comes along in-between mods easily if you want to later, without the need to relist completely. This runs great for me and allows me to play around with the running orders, I do the same all the way down including islands.

Just a thing to remember is that certain islands/mods require other mods which will load automatically if using the six updater, best to open up the mod by clicking it on the line and seeing which mods it requires and load these first, for example ‘bet_huertgen’ requires/dependencies is ‘Beton’ so I load ’Beton’ first just so that I can control the running order a little and have islands banded together rather than a mix match with other items put automatically in-between. Difficult to explain so to give you an idea I have the main items first CBA etc through Acex, then as said the AI mods in whichever order you like but GL4 first seems best to me, then I have effects mods JTD etc whichever you use, then clutter reduction and smoothing mods Landtex and sap_clutter etc, then armies, civies, camos, weapons etc..if your army needs a uniform/skins and its supplied as a separate mod then I would put that in that section. Don’t forget to include the ACE mods for any specific one for example the ‘BW’ mod also has ‘BW_ACE’ mod I load them to run together, ‘BW’ followed by ‘BW_ACE’ with no gap as I would not expect to put another mod between them. After these I load all the object type mods for example buildings, plants etc that islands need to complete properly, finally the islands/maps. I may have forgot some things but you get the general idea.

Well thats the way I do it, others will have better ways I have no doubt, but it works very well for me with the sim/game loading quite fast, for example I begin the sim/game from a preset in the updater and usually with 70+ mods its all loaded and ready to go all within around 2mins,. I always sleep my PC if I’m part way through playing with the sim/game with it paused/running, this allows me immediate access when coming back to the computer without the need to load it again..

Now if your not completely confused like me, I hope you find a running order that works great for you...

Do anyone here have experience with running GL4 as a mod on a dedicated server? Pros and cons?

So far I have left to see any major differences. Im running it togehter with ASR AI. and the Zeus AI findcover.pbo

Scenario pictorial

I played two parts, the enemy unit and a civilian bystander

I wanted a BAF group (fire team) to see me go into a building from a distance, the group were synced with the ‘Custom’ GL4 module. I first opened the door to the building, then let off a round just outside and waited for them to pop their heads around the corner that I had placed them behind (didn't want to get shot before I was in), soon enough I saw them and ran in and shut the door behind me, I swapped over to watch from the bystander point of view, here is a brief pictorial of the events, all told it took around 15-20mins from beginning to end, they were around 100mtrs away when they saw me go in..

They targeted the one building but checked the area a little before making their move..

GL4 'Group Link 4' is a large mod that can draw on FPS if your not careful, I drop when I zoom in, don't know why, if I zoom in with a scope the FPS goes through the roof (very high).

The events:

They were soon there I am in the right hand building. FPS good.

Making the move FPS still good.

In for the kill FPS drop after zooming in then out again, wanted to catch the moment.

Job done FPS drop (zoomed in)

I dragged 'me' out, wanted to see the wound, I bled well, good shot by the BAF concerned. FPS good.

All courtesy of GL4..

Frankly a superb mod..

Well I'll be damned....good job HR4 Elite :)

Il have to try this later but that looks to be same building I had attempted and failed to get any infiltration.

Hmm anyone know why my squad starts in an empty truck 3000m away from intended spawn site in SP mission?

Wow.

I've been playing since OFP days, yet for some reason never got around to trying out GL. This has been exaaactly the experience I've been looking for all these years.

Hats off, excellent job!

I don't really get it.

If I want only the AI enhancements and not the special effects..what folders/files do I need then exactly?

Ive stopped using GL4 for now as it seems to be lagging the game big time for me, this with the recent patches, any one else experiencing this?

Ive stopped using GL4 for now as it seems to be lagging the game big time for me, this with the recent patches, any one else experiencing this?

+1,actually GL4 was just developed for ARMA2, though it can be run in OA or CO. Whenever I play a warfare mission with GL4, which really be lagging the game much

Yeah, I'd advise against using GL4 at this point, has really fallen behind with the lack of maintenance.

Ah right, shame... One of my favorite mods!

Yeah, same here. Really made some great changes to the core game. Last I heard, he was working a follow-up called "TriForce" but honestly, I think it's dead.

I put the GL4 'Defend' module on the map first, don't place any enemy AI just myself as a separate unit of the same side but not country (Baf with US small group) so I can watch basically, I place a small fire team on the map no waypoints or change simply place them, don't sync anything just for a try out.

Whilst I share your enthusiasm for the mod - it's a game changer - placing the GL4 Defend module and not sync'ing it to anything will have no impact on the units' behaviour. What you are seeing is the effect of the GL4 System, which will be initialised in your mission by default if you are running GL4 as an Addon Mod, rather than by Modules in the Editor. It took me a while to figure this out, but once you get to grips with it it is very powerful:

1. If you run GL4 as an Addon Mod, you will get GL4 behaviour in your missions by default, without placing any GL4 modules in the Editor. So you will get the suppressing, etc etc that is configurable in the GL4 sqf files.

2. If you place GL4 modules in the editor, you must synchronize them with groups. Essentially what this does is define the groups as being of a GL4 behaviour type ie Defend, Custom (can be called as reinforcements) etc.

3. One Module of each type you wish to use is enough. You can synchronize Enemy and Friendly with the same modules. You do not need to add the GL4 System Module if you are running it as an Addon Mod (as per 1. above).

So the modules you would potentially place are Defend, Custom, Static etc. You then synchronize those modules with the specific groups that you want to display those behaviours within the context of GL4. Read the readme to see what each behaviour does. This is the same as naming the groups in specifc GL4 syntax eg DG..., CG... etc.

Custom groups will display a considerable amount of independent behaviour. For example in test missions I place a platoon of support APCs some distance from the main battlefield. Invariably they make their way to the battlefield with no need to place waypoints etc. I expect this is a combination of the AI calling them as reinforcements, and them acting on info about enemy units that has been passed around the GL4 units.

JJ

Edited by jiltedjock

enemy air vehicles without fuel, is it normal? I'm running arma 2 retail version 1.10 + arma 2 oa steam version with the latest patch..I need help!

Does it pull a lot of power out of your PC?

I have just been playing a bit with this, to me, new smart stuff, and my game seams to crash on Cindercity if I use it.

But on the Hazar-Kot it seams to work with out problem,.... that is strange hehe.