Sign in to follow this  
snkman

Group Link 4 Special FX Edition

Do you use the "Script/Mission Based" initialize?  

69 members have voted

1. 1. Do you use the "Script/Mission Based" initialize?

• Yes
    • No
    • Sometimes

I'm having a strange problem with GL4 .. Everytime I make a mission in the editor and load it up, the initilization message shows different versions of GL4. And this seems to have an impact on how the mod works. I'm also getting really weird AI behaviour if synching friendly AI groups with the "Custom" module.

I was trying to replicate this (posted on in another thread):

Playing as BAF Bluefor in Takistan, all my infantry except the player group are sync'd to a GL4 Custom Module. They each have one Search and Destroy waypoint beyond the battle area, which is an area of the map with several villages. I have a Jackal section and an AH64 in reserve, out of the immediate battle area. they are sync'd to the GL4 Custom Module but don't have any specific waypoints.

The enemy comprises insurgents. Several groups are placed in villages and sync'd to a GL4 Defend Module which means they will garrison the villages and call for reinforcements. Several other groups are garrisoned in towns elsewhere with Pick Ups available for transport, should they choose, and sync'd to the GL4 Custom Module. they have no waypoints.

With this setup, every single time I approach one of the occupied villages I am fired on from upper storey windows. the other Bluefor groups are advancing in bounds , using covered approaches etc. if the enemy pins me down for long enough the reinforcements start appearing in pick ups. meanwhile the Jackals and the Apache start appearing - I am not sure yet if this is a result of info sharing or if the other Bluefor groups are calling them as reinforcements.

In short, it is a different mission every time with almost no effort expended on waypoints, no need for triggers etc etc. Much of this is down to GL4 but SLX adds the icing to the cake.

But when I do this, it never works. The problem lies with the friendly AI, the enemy does what it should. If I synch friendly AI groups with the "Custom" module, they will show up on the map as "(Combat)" and they ignore the waypoints and run to me instead. If I place myself further away from them, they don't show up on the map as in "(Combat)", and the mod doesn't seem to change their behaviour.

The thing that it shows different versions of GL4 each time I load the mission is really weird though.

I know this addon is dated, as with this thread, I'm sorry for bringing it back to the top of the forum. Does anyone know if GL4 makes the AI seek cover from incoming fire the way the Zeus and ASR AI mods do? I have yet to see them hide behind walls or take shelter behind trees while in the prone position. I think this mod could benefit from this as it's the ONLY AI mod that TRULY allows you to enable AI enhancements on certain groups and leave other groups vanilla, say ones that you don't want to move from inside houses or from behind sand bags...

Arise Dead Horse .... ARISE.....

I am doing this because I want attention.... well not really, However, I would like to port this to Arma 3. I have sent a PM to the author, and Ask any Co-authors of this mod to speak up!!!

Your read me states clearly not to use or modify this code with out permissions.. I would very kindly like to get permission to port this wonderful mod to Arma 3. I have no intentions on taking any credit, as this is Not my work!! I just really would like to see this move forward!!

I can honestly say that "IF" we can get permission to do this, I would only really be able to copy and paste the new textures and models into their respected scripted spaces. Outside of that I would need help from the scripting gurus to get the commands up to Arma 3 specs..

Thats it really ...

Can we please has Group Link 4 in Arma 3?!?!?

Thanks Thomas but i already have the current release of Asr_AI for arma 3(you can get it from Robalos web page), i am actually asking permission to port Group link 4 over, as it also has some neat AI effects, and visual effects.. I just want to try man :)

The End Users license says:

Group Link 4 is to use for Armed Assault 2 and for private entertainment only. Commercial use is forbidden without premission of the author. It’s not allowed to use any codes, scripts and/or model of Group Link 4 without premission of the author(s).

The End Users license says:

Hello, NoRailgunner, maybe you just skimmed over my post? If you read my post I state very clearly that I would like permissions, From the Authors of the Mod.. I do not need someone to point out the EULA, of which I alreay know... Just to be sure I will quote my OP and BOLD the statement were I ask for permissions, Just so you can be sure that is whats going on!!

Arise Dead Horse .... ARISE.....

I am doing this because I want attention.... well not really, However, I would like to port this to Arma 3. I have sent a PM to the author, and Ask any Co-authors of this mod to speak up!!!

Your read me states clearly not to use or modify this code with out permissions.. I would very kindly like to get permission to port this wonderful mod to Arma 3. I have no intentions on taking any credit, as this is Not my work!! I just really would like to see this move forward!!

I can honestly say that "IF" we can get permission to do this, I would only really be able to copy and paste the new textures and models into their respected scripted spaces. Outside of that I would need help from the scripting gurus to get the commands up to Arma 3 specs..

Thats it really ...

Can we please has Group Link 4 in Arma 3?!?!?

NoRailgunner: I cannot find your name any were on/in the mod that states you are an author of the mod ...... I am asking permission from the authors of the mod.. Thank you for your time.. And for the free bump in the thread...

Any Authors Of Group Link 4:

Can i Please begin to port this to Arma 3??

Are these people still here??

Group Link 1

Toadlife

Group Link 2

KeyCat

Group Link 3

=\SNKMAN/=

Group Link 4

=\SNKMAN/=

Operation Flashpoint Mod E.C.P. ( Enhanced Configuration Project )

snYpir, Zayfod, Toadlife, Igor Drukov, General Barron, TJ

HiFi Sound Mod / Explosion Sound FX

Mark XIII

Blood Image and Crater Models ( Not used in this version )

Sgt.Ace

Edited by Lordprimate

Having been a big fan of the gl series (gl3 was slightly better than 4, imo) plus also slx, it has to be said that if these mods (unlikely), or something similar doesn’t come along for A3, then A3 may be just a good looking ‘shooter’.:(

Haven' t seen SNKMAN around for a long time. I don't know if he's still active . . . also all the other members listed. Some of them work now directly for BIS/BIA. So as long as you are unable to contact SNKMAN there won't be any port of it to ARMA 3. Keep trying to contact him . . . is the only advice I can give you in this case.

I realize this is ancient at this point but I have a strange problem and was wondering if anybody knew the solution...

For some reason GL4 makes it so when i use the M110 and use ACE's bipod feature i hurt myself when i shoot. I have no clue how GL4 could do this and would love to know if theres an option you can turn off to fix it.

Or honestly, If it's even worth using at all anymore (SP only), I like a lot of it for the immersion factor but this bug is pretty annoying.

@subdical: I know the bug you mentionhere. It comes from the GL 4 bleeding option. You have to disable that bleeding stuff entirely to get rid of the bug.

Hope that helps,

touristo

is it possible for you to make an AI addon to improve the AI even in the missions which haven't been made with GL4 ?

@subdical: I know the bug you mentionhere. It comes from the GL 4 bleeding option. You have to disable that bleeding stuff entirely to get rid of the bug.

Hope that helps,

touristo

That was it, Thank you.

is it possible for you to make an AI addon to improve the AI even in the missions which haven't been made with GL4 ?

GL4 can do this but only to a limited extent, i.e. far from it's full capacity.

However even in this limited role GL4's influence is so significant that it changes many missions beyond recognition and in some they will not work as the creators had planned.

If you really want to explore the full extent of GL4 I suggest dropping a PM to ChrisB.

If you want improved AI for missions that weren't design for a particular mod, i.e. pretty much all missions, I recommend grabbing ASR AI and TPW's Suppression mod.

These 2 combined deliver a significantly more realistic (more challenging = more fun?) experience all while leaving missions more or less as they were planned.

The script version of GL4 seems to work somewhat in Arma 3 alpha. I've only tried the Defend behaviour, but the AI will take up positions in and engage from houses/buildings (I just got killed as I walked past a ground-level window). I don't know if this is default behaviour, but they also move from house to house prior to contact with the enemy.

I get one error at mission start (a script not found) and I received a missing marker error during my mission. Overall, though, having AI in buildings makes for a very tense sweep of Agia Marina.

It has to be said SNKMAN did a fine job on this, probably one of the first to really put together something in such a well presented config package to do so much with little fuss to work out.

The one thing I liked was making requests and he would just add them fast, one was AI detection of smoke grenades which was sweet.

I was PM'ing with SNKMAN to the point he did share with me an updated beta that was never released, I still have it but short of getting hold of him (?) I cant just add it as its not my work.

I know that ASR mods took over more once this wasnt updated, but still a great package of AI features.

I started using GL4 after watching all of ChrisB's videos on YouTube. It really is an amazing add-on for custom missions, especially on the Takistan maps where AI can get in the buildings and use rooftops. I created a scenario for myself where two AI controlled rifle teams have to cross Zargabad to attack the villa in the NE, with various OPFOR scattered throughout the city and it's different every time because of how the AI behaves. In my last game, I thought I was being smart providing machine gun support from a rooftop only to have an enemy soldier sneak into the building and shoot me in the back.

Anyways, I haven't tried out many of the other maps for A2/OA -- can you guys recommend any where the GL4 AI works as well as it does on Takistan, especially using buildings and rooftops?

For me. this one video sort of sums up how missed these mod makers are, this is their work. Not just GL4, although thats hard at work here, but SLX/Zeus, its a great loss to this community that GL4, Zeus & SLX are no longer supported and haven't been for some time.

What they left us though, remains the best ai mods ever made for this series, of course when mixed a little and missions made using the GL4 format, you won't get better, more intelligent ai behaviour.

They are, as they stand, unbeaten.

Regards supported, not needed if tested regularly, they still work great (parts from these & another).

Just by viewing this video I can see all of the mods mentioned doing something here, all working together to produce a better more realistic game-play, plus TPWC_sup is there too, another great ai mod/addon.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=z-jfnAwHses&list=PLj7LIw2iwG-HBxjqFG4Y32YHKRMkz2AF-&index=90

Its all just imo..:)

@ebarstad, pm me for the ai list used, if your interested..

For me. this one video sort of sums up how missed these mod makers are, this is their work. Not just GL4, although thats hard at work here, but SLX/Zeus, its a great loss to this community that GL4, Zeus & SLX are no longer supported and haven't been for some time.

What they left us though, remains the best ai mods ever made for this series, of course when mixed a little and missions made using the GL4 format, you won't get better, more intelligent ai behaviour.

They are, as they stand, unbeaten.

Regards supported, not needed if tested regularly, they still work great (parts from these & another).

Just by viewing this video I can see all of the mods mentioned doing something here, all working together to produce a better more realistic game-play, plus TPWC_sup is there too, another great ai mod/addon.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=z-jfnAwHses&list=PLj7LIw2iwG-HBxjqFG4Y32YHKRMkz2AF-&index=90

Its all just imo..:)

@ebarstad, pm me for the ai list used, if your interested..

Looks pretty cool, but I have a question. What animation mod are you using? Moving while crouched like that looks really cool.

Looks pretty cool, but I have a question. What animation mod are you using? Moving while crouched like that looks really cool.

Its SMK, works nicely..:)

Shown here is the result of GL4 splitting a whole RU infantry unit into three separate smaller teams, to approach and breach a compound held by US forces. Interesting the way it develops, also using pbo's from SLX/Zeus/TPWC_sup, some others but these are the main AI sources.

GL4 takes a prominent role here, showing why it is the number one AI mod this series has ever seen, imo.

There is also a simple de-brief available showing tactics used in the mission by the AI (link in YT below video).

All are ’AI’ apart from me taking the video. AI decide everything, all tactics, info in video.

Sorry regards the sound quality, its really bad. 720hd available.

Edit:

Short video of setup.

Terrain = St Kathrine

Info in the video, 720hd.

Now you could have them picked up after the mission (provided there are some units left), beyond the compound, would take another minute or so to set up a trigger, return flight etc to pick them up. I have them just taking the compound here, they would garrison once they completed their task, again should they survive the engagement.

Really they are underpowered, could do with double the RU, then it should be successful. But it was just a test to show how they approach the situation regards the compound.

Edited by ChrisB

hey Chris, in your debrief you say it took 5 minutes to setup. Any way you could make a tutorial of the mission build?? maybe a quick 5 min vid?

Edited by Lordprimate

hey Chris, in your debrief you say it took 5 minutes to setup. Any way you could make a tutorial of the mission build?? maybe a quick 5 min vid?

Added above.:)

For any of you that use this mod or the mod mix ChrisB uses -- have you run into trouble with units leaving your group? As a squad leader, I've had AI units leave my group midway through a mission. Or, playing with an AI leader, I often get removed from a group (I try not to take it personally). Is it GL4 doing this? Any workaround?

For any of you that use this mod or the mod mix ChrisB uses -- have you run into trouble with units leaving your group? As a squad leader, I've had AI units leave my group midway through a mission. Or, playing with an AI leader, I often get removed from a group (I try not to take it personally). Is it GL4 doing this? Any workaround?

Hi E, have a look at the lighter weight 'pbo list' in my sig. Never been left behind yet, or had a unit go walk-about, thats not to say it may never happen though;), but hasn't yet over the years I've been using it.

How many AI are you using for a whole mission? I don't go above 150 normally, usually a lot less than that, may also be worth looking at the numbers. Also what other mods have you got running?