Sign in to follow this  
sfc.itzhak

Operation unknown wip

Really loving these so far. A couple problems I've run into.

1. The rotor blades disappear at a really unusual LOD level. Meaning the chopper can be flying 20m from you and only the body is visible, no blades at all.

2. The chopper ignores proper landing. Even with a Helo pad and the force land command, it still hovers a few meters off of the ground for loading and unloading, which is a tad awkward to say the least ;)

Superb work, really appreciate you making these birds.

took the words right out of my mouth. I have to say I noticed these as well. The prop blades are not visible until basically it is close to your position. And yes there is some type of glossy look to the shadow side of the bird. Also when given a

_ch46_1 land "LAND";

waitUntil {{unassignVehicle _x} forEach crew _ch46_1};

the bird will cut off its engines like 10m from the deck instead of when it touches down.

and when in the copilot position, your head does turn with the head of the AI pilot.

by the way if anyone is looking to place an AI in the copilot position... do it like this:

nav1 assignAsGunner CH46_1;

nav1 moveInTurret [CH46_1, [0]];

is there a way we can script the bird to lower its ramp?

SFC.ITZHAK I know that there may be some wrinkles, but THANK YOU for giving the community these vehicles and for your hard work. And if at times we may have seemed impatient, just think of it this way you have a fan club! Thanks

Also for those who would like to know, most the the testing results from the 3rdMD's beta testing before this was released are located here, not sure what got addressed so far as my Aviation Detachment Cmdr is our liaisons with this project. http://forum.3rdmd.net/index.php?topic=891.0

Also I should put it out that I believe that only those with real background into these aircraft should give feedback relating to the aircraft and how it operates. What you get of wikipedia and crap is not always true, and this is why a couple of our members in the 3rdMD who have real training in and with these aircraft are giving the feedback into the dynamics of it.

So if you have the background, lets give this gentlemen some good feedback because he deserves after the hard work so far. If you don't have the background/experience, don't step into talking about some you do not have the experience or knowledge in. It just gets really annoying. You might notice that I do not say anything about how the aircraft should fly etc., but that's because I am a MP, not a pilot or crew chief in real life.

Small ask from me, whats with ACE² integration?

Would be awesome to have this planes in ACE :)

Thanks for information!

i have to say, those look amazing, can't wait 'till i get home and can try them out :D

Another quick thing to mention: the CH-53 door guns are labelled as M240's and seem to have their rate of fire, but the models seem to be miniguns.

i have a suggestion can you make a door on the floor for rope insertion ?

I have to say as well... The CH-46 felt a little small.... :/ felt like I was flying a little bird or something... lol.. felt smaller than the huey... lol

People be warned that the CH-46 is almost half (well about two-third) the size of a CH-47 Chinook, they are built with the same layout, but beside this they are two different helicopters, and don't have too much in common.

;1565950']Also for those who would like to know' date=' most the the testing results from the 3rdMD's beta testing before this was released are located here, not sure what got addressed so far as my Aviation Detachment Cmdr is our liaisons with this project. [url']http://forum.3rdmd.net/index.php?topic=891.0[/url]

Also I should put it out that I believe that only those with real background into these aircraft should give feedback relating to the aircraft and how it operates. What you get of wikipedia and crap is not always true, and this is why a couple of our members in the 3rdMD who have real training in and with these aircraft are giving the feedback into the dynamics of it.

So if you have the background, lets give this gentlemen some good feedback because he deserves after the hard work so far. If you don't have the background/experience, don't step into talking about some you do not have the experience or knowledge in. It just gets really annoying. You might notice that I do not say anything about how the aircraft should fly etc., but that's because I am a MP, not a pilot or crew chief in real life.

Though I agree that asking for things to be put in that don't actually belong is wrong and can drag on, I'd say, don't prohibit people from giving feedback about problems they experience ingame.

You're an MP, and acting like you can command a whole "Marine Division." But no one comes onto your server and tells you what to do.

Again, SFC Itzhak does deserve much thanks and gratitude for all of the work he has put in, as does the 3rd MD for their testing, but that doesn't make the 3rd MD an all out exclusive feedback giver to this helo project.

Use the F1-F12 keys to control specific squad members to board the chopper. Obviously by selecting all your troops you also selected the pilots as well, who if told to board the chopper again will jump out and then back in.

A better way to do it is to have all your infantry in a coloured group squad. So for example you select all your infantry F2-F6, label them all group red. Then push shift F2 (or any corrosponding red group member's number) and it will highlight all members in that colour group. Then push "4" and select the helicopter and tell them to board.

Takes a little bit more micromanagement, but it's far more accurate in terms of telling team members what and where to board.

I know. I was just bringing it up because if i do the same thing with a blackhawk, the pilots don't get out. I don't remember seeing any other vehicle where when told to board another vehicle the drivers get out. I have only seen people outside actually move to get in a vehicle. Because they are the only ones that could get in. Since the pilots are already in the vehicle telling them to get in is irrelavant to them because they are already in.

No big deal. I just hate color coding teams under my command because it takes a couple seconds to do exposing you to the elements. I wish we could push one button and it automatically select a team.

Small bug: When I get in the CH-53 the ramp lowers. If I get out with it still lowered, walk around the aircraft and up the ramp into the back, when I turn around the ramp just finished raising. Any way to make it stay the way you left it?

Very good work! I really am enjoying your models.

If I may make one suggestion and one observation.

First, if possible, would/could you model the rotor blades to "sag" a bit when the engines are off? They looks to rigid at the moment. I know there are game engine limitations (having made mods for a very long time I am aware of most of them) but it would be cool to see the blades hanging lower.

Second, your text on the rotor blades are great. You might wish to flip them so that the "rotor blade serial number" can be read from the bottom (perhaps as well as the top). Right now, the letters are backwards. This should be an easy fix.

Again, I really enjoy having the 53 and 46 to fly around in. I am very impressed with your work.

(Note: I am a Marine (1994-2000) so I am qualified to make a request :) I have been on each of these aircraft many times (and jumped out of them a few times as well.))

@SFC. ITZHAK

These look great and it is so nice to have them!

---------- Post added at 02:30 AM ---------- Previous post was at 02:26 AM ----------

First, if possible, would/could you model the rotor blades to "sag" a bit when the engines are off? They looks to rigid at the moment. I know there are game engine limitations (having made mods for a very long time I am aware of most of them) but it would be cool to see the blades hanging lower.

Second, your text on the rotor blades are great. You might wish to flip them so that the "rotor blade serial number" can be read from the bottom (perhaps as well as the top). Right now, the letters are backwards. This should be an easy fix.

Again, I really enjoy having the 53 and 46 to fly around in. I am very impressed with your work.

(Note: I am a Marine (1994-2000) so I am qualified to make a request :) I have been on each of these aircraft many times (and jumped out of them a few times as well.))

Semper!

let me add to this that the ramps take a bit to long to close after troops have mounted and helo is lifting off. Any way to command the ramps open and closed?

When I was exiting the 46, I noticed how low the ceiling was and it really reminded me of one (or three) times that I smacked my Kevlar on the top of the interior as I was exiting. Awesome stuff!

Oh, another (not serious) request - you should have hydraulic fluid leaking all over the place in the 46.

@Meatball, Semper Fi!

When I was exiting the 46, I noticed how low the ceiling was and it really reminded me of one (or three) times that I smacked my Kevlar on the top of the interior as I was exiting. Awesome stuff!

Oh, another (not serious) request - you should have hydraulic fluid leaking all over the place in the 46.

@Meatball, Semper Fi!

lol you could say the same for the 53, but can you imagine the drain on your graphics card from all the hydraulic fliud leaking if you make it realistic ;)

i would like to say this is truly amazing! great work on this, i hope to see more come from the operation unknown mod!

@Meatball, Semper Fi!

oorah Devil!

or making the deck really slippery as to fall on your ass when running out of the ramp!

@SFC ITZHAK

really nice on the interior of the bird.. have been really only working with the CH-46 so far, and I believe the obvious has already been pointed out, but incase they havent:

1. Tale markings on starboard side of CH-46 are backwards

arma22010-02-1111-44-41-98.jpg

if you also notice the portholes (three circular windows) seem also to be backwards

and

there is not a gunner position on starboard side

Phrogapr102003_talemarking.jpg

2. Helo does not touch the deck when extracting or inserting troops

Extract:

arma22010-02-1112-02-36-04.jpg

Insertion:

arma22010-02-1112-03-46-25.jpg

causing injury:

arma22010-02-1112-04-05-92.jpg

Edited by Meatball0311

3. Rotor blades are not visible until at a certain distance from player

arma22010-02-1112-02-02-83.jpg

as the bird gets closer they become visible:

arma22010-02-1112-02-04-11.jpg

4. Ramp takes a little to long of time to close after takeoff

arma22010-02-1112-03-02-86.jpg

what are the scripting commands to raise or lower the ramp??

5. When sitting in copilot (navigator) seat, your head will turn with pilots

6. When helo is doing a land "LAND", it shuts engines off aroung 10 meters off of the deck.

just wanting to help out and hopefully you have the time to work on these, as some are pretty crucial issues when it comes to mission editing. Once again thank you.

Your humble friend,

Meatball0311

Edited by Meatball0311

ok.

1.will fix that soon.

2.thats a problem that i experienced with most of the helos..

3.really don't know how this bug passed me...

4.well the ramp is taking a little long so all the troops can get off the chopper.

the dont jump out they run out as you see. but if its too long i can decrease the time .

helo animate["ramp",0]

5.will look into it.

6.again will look into it.try to do the same for the other helos and tell me how they do.

Small bug: When I get in the CH-53 the ramp lowers. If I get out with it still lowered, walk around the aircraft and up the ramp into the back, when I turn around the ramp just finished raising. Any way to make it stay the way you left it?

possible if i trigger the ramp by height.

1. possible.

2.np.

thanks to all for the feedback and will try to fix the bugs.

sfc.

Edited by SFC.ITZHAK

I noticed in some photos the MARINES text and decals are a lighter grey on the ch53 and slightly different font than on the arma2 model eg in this link

http://www.easterwoodairport.com/images/helo/ch53.jpg

not sure if its something that might be considered? It is great to finally have these vehicles in arma2 though, thanks for all the work.

ok.

1.will fix that soon.

4.well the ramp is taking a little long so all the troops can get off the chopper.

the dont jump out they run out as you see. but if its too long i can decrease the time .

helo animate["ramp",0]

5.will look into it.

6.again will look into it.try to do the same for the other helos and tell me how they do.

sfc.

Thanks for the reply and I know you are looking into all of these. However on the helo landing part, I think there is something wrong with the CH-43. I have only been working with the 43 right now, so I dont know if it is only restricted to it... will get back to you on that one.

The helo should be touching the deck when it lands, especially if you have ordered your units to "Get in"...

just tested it with a UH1Y and good for me it is not my code, but bad for you it is your birds problem... check it out

http://i900.photobucket.com/albums/ac208/Meatball0311/ArmA2/FRAP%20CLIPS/arma22010-02-1216-24-15-74.jpg

http://i900.photobucket.com/albums/ac208/Meatball0311/ArmA2/FRAP%20CLIPS/arma22010-02-1216-29-13-28.jpg

Dont mean to be bearer of bad news, but there is a problem with the CH-46 (like I said previously havent tried it on the CH-53, will do it later on).

I hope I helped you and hopefully it is just something small to fix...

Edited by Meatball0311

Just posting that these two birds are fantastic work, even at this first release stage.

Top work mate.

ok.

1.will fix that soon.

helo animate["ramp",0]

5.will look into it.

thanks to all for the feedback and will try to fix the bugs.

sfc.

Great news!

And I can confirm Meatball's info. The CH-46 definitely does not perform infils and exfils like vanilla choppers. It seems scared to touch the deck even when given a land command that should make it touch a heli pad :p

Just posting that these two birds are fantastic work, even at this first release stage.

Top work mate.

I have to agree wholeheartedly.. I am in love with these birds... they are giving me some major wood!:D

---------- Post added at 01:33 AM ---------- Previous post was at 12:29 AM ----------

CH-53 ops have now conducted and I found a few things that need attention...

1. Landing gear does not raise after extracting units...

2. Crew and cargo unload at starboard front hatch (by the gunner pos).

3. can those side guns get a little re-work?? They look a little funky...

oh yeah the 53 has the same problem, hovers above the deck. Just like the 46.. they will touch ground, but it is after an AI unit loads, then it touches ground.

Also when given a land "LAND" command (basically helo being told to land, shut off engines and crew get out) it cuts its engines off before it touches ground.... there has to be something that is preventing it from landing... I am no computer wiz but what is working for me is something like this

CH46_1wp3 = CH46_1group addWaypoint [_asloc, 0];

CH46_1wp3 setWaypointBehaviour "COMBAT";

CH46_1wp3 setWaypointType "LOAD";

[CH46_1group, 3] setWaypointStatements ["true", "landed = true"];

_ch46_1 addAction [localize "STR_RTBPIL","HMM_268\takeOff.sqf"];

waituntil {(!IPheloAS) or (landed)};

pilot1 sideChat "Rhino, One Mike out";

titleText ["ORDER YOUR MARINES TO MOUNT HELO", "PLAIN DOWN"];

_ch46_1 land "GET IN";

waituntil {(!IPheloAS) or (!alive _man) or (takeoff)};

takeoff = false;

landed = false;