Sign in to follow this  
BeerHunter

God awful muzzle flashes..how about fixing THOSE eh?

These flash bulbs going off in your face whenever you try to use some weapons simply makes me want to avoid using them even though they would make the completion of some missions much simpler. I ran out of ammo for my AR so tried using an AK at night but threw it away and restarted the mission rather than try and continue with those abominated muzzle flashes..just big round bright white circles..no flash suppression effect whatsoever. (do the forces that use VBF have to put up with that too??)

It's nice and greatly appreciated that BI is fixing so many problems but AFAIK , this would be such a simple thing compared to trying to rework the net code or optimizing and add so much to the game. Jeezus , the muzzle flashes aren't even as good as the ones you can find in Castle Wolfenstein 3D.:confused:

Yes this is a rant as well because I've had to restart the mission again but this time will try to conserve ammo so I don't end up having to try and use one of those portable spotlights aimed at my eyes called an AK.

Where can I report / suggest that this be done , or support someone who has already mentioned it?

in the Suggestions thread dude.. patch 1.05 suggestions

http://forums.bistudio.com/showthread.php?t=86543

I was going to mention it, but i assumed it would have been noted a long time ago as i noticed it in Harvest Red campaign, and im like :butbut: Its OFP all over again..

Have you patched your A2 with update 1.04? that might have the fix!

Says it's assigned to "Dwarden" in the Community Issue Tracker but under "Dwarden" I see nothing at all about him working on it.

Have to latest Beta patch installed and it's still an annoying and irritating problem...so it hasn't been looked at AFAIK unless it's scheduled to come out with the full patch..but Dwarden apparently isn't doing it.

oh man i agree they are terrible. Please fix/replace them ASAP. I've been playing the game since release and i still cringe each time i see them.

oh man i agree they are terrible. Please fix/replace them ASAP. I've been playing the game since release and i still cringe each time i see them.

Agree. Also randomize them.

Have to agree here, they are horrible lol i avoid playing night missions just because of how bad they are...

+1

even in ofp it looked better because you had at least 3 different flashes for each weapon

+1 like everytime when we talk about these papermuzzleflashes

You see it everytime and its atmosphere-killer... :(

Pls fix it... :bounce3:

Regards

If you look through Night Vision than it looks like white circle. All light sources in NV look like circles. If you look without NV than flash is fine. But I agree that muzzle flashes need more randomness.

Damn you all! ;) I didn't even notice it until I read this thread. It looks really awful now :(

+1 to you guys though for pointing it out to me

-1 to me for my ignorance before readiing this thread

+1 to BIS if they can sort this!

The AK (insert random suffix) is still my favourite gun though, despite it's terrible muzzleflash! ( I don't know why, but in every game I've ever played, the AK is always my preferred shooter. I think it started back when Goldeneye N64 had an AK copy - the KF-7. Awesome gun (and game) :) I haven't looked back since.

Anyway, I hope BIS take a few hours out to sort this.

Thanks, DA

I agree the flashes are pretty damn awful. Makes me avoid night combat to some degree.

+1 to you guys though for pointing it out to me

-1 to me for my ignorance before readiing this thread

That should be the other way around haha. They gave you a problem you didnt have. Damn them for sure! :D

Would be nice with great muzzles ofcourse. Hope other more important things are on the to do list before fixing this though.

Don't use a gun with a muzzle brake then.

STGN

Before this thread i thought my bad fps had to do with the muzzle flashes (yes ignorance is bliss :D ), now i'm stuck noticing them.

Don't use a gun with a muzzle brake then.

STGN

What a great suggestion...

Its again one of those many ugly leftovers of OFP1 times ~10years ago, however funny is that even in OFP1 they looked better because of variation. :eek:

Hope it will be changed at least for OA :o

Btw:

The best Muzzle-Flashes in a BIS game, were with Arma1 and the SLX-Mod....

Especially looked great at AK74 Series with their distinctive muzzle-break - means that sometimes little flames only came out left and right of the brake. it looked very awesome/fluid/realistic to me, so you see it can be done by modders.

The only time I have an issue with it is when the rate of fire is so high that there isn't a gap in between the shots. (Eg. the MG-3 in BW mod.)

The only time I have an issue with it is when the rate of fire is so high that there isn't a gap in between the shots. (Eg. the MG-3 in BW mod.)

Indeed. Here is where varying muzzle flashes would be nice, so that not every single flash is so distinctive, at least giving a slight chance to see when shooting.

I am making an (un)educated guess, but i think that the muzzle flash is in the weapon config its self and attached to the weapon model, and not some sperate entity like the smoke.

for example there are some times some errors in usermade addons where the flash is always visible (just a big red flower sticking out of the muzzle) (happened alot in OFP, arma1)

also when ACE and SLX mad custom flashes they only applied to the custom weapons not the whole game, suggesting that it is quite difficult to make a new flash for every weapon short of modding every weapon in game with a new sprite flash

I am making an (un)educated guess, but i think that the muzzle flash is in the weapon config its self and attached to the weapon model, and not some sperate entity like the smoke.

for example there are some times some errors in usermade addons where the flash is always visible (just a big red flower sticking out of the muzzle) (happened alot in OFP, arma1)

also when ACE and SLX mad custom flashes they only applied to the custom weapons not the whole game, suggesting that it is quite difficult to make a new flash for every weapon short of modding every weapon in game with a new sprite flash

All correct. Muzzle flashes are modelled directly on the weapons, so modding the ones that came with the game would not be a trivial task. (Especially without access to the unbinarized models).

Still, I think BIS could fix this issue by changing the way the muzzle flashes work. They could implement the possibility to add a new definition to a gun model config, something like "CfgAltMuzzleFlashes" that contains a list of different muzzle flash textures. These would then be used at random while firing. Pretty much like the hidden selection method, just without all the scripting. :)