Sign in to follow this  
Snake Man

Vietnam the Experience: Discussion

Probably because it was so brutal and bloody. I'm not saying all other wars were/are not brutal, but one has to admit, Vietnam was easily one of the worst wars in history.

I disagree. I believe it has more to do with how the conflicts are remembered.

According to the history books, WW2 was a "good" war. There was a defined, evil enemy bent on world domination, and the allies emerged victorious. The troops were welcomed home as conquering heroes. But Vietnam was never officially declared a war, the Americans were not victorious, and the troops were treated badly after returning. It is perceived as a national shame. History prefers to hide the memory.

Do you really think that the war was lost? Or did the US even went out as winner,

since they won a lot of major battles?

Do you really think that the war was lost? Or did the US even went out as winner,

since they won a lot of major battles?

Dosen't change the fact that America failed to do what they went to Vietnam to do, prevent the spread of communism in Vietnam. The North achieved their goal while the US did not, so it was a successful war for them, they won......

Edited by Liam!!!!

Technically, Washington declared that we won the war, but that was BS. We won all the battles, but we lost the war because of the idiots in Washington who ordered what individual aircraft would attack, etc.

OT: How's SnakeMan doing Takko?

Technically, Washington declared that we won the war, but that was BS. We won all the battles, but we lost the war because of the idiots in Washington who ordered what individual aircraft would attack, etc.

OT: How's SnakeMan doing Takko?

No argument there. The troops did fine. But the whole thing was badly handled from the beginning.

Incidentally, I didn't say the US lost, but rather they weren't victorious.

I'd personally call Vietnam a tie, both the NVA/VC lost a shit load of men, just like the USA.

I'd personally call Vietnam a tie, both the NVA/VC lost a shit load of men, just like the USA.

I believe we killed 5-10 men (atleast) for every American killed. I think that we lost the war, but through my research and looking at history i realize that the military command & their strategies had nothing to do with it. The White House demanded that they give the go on every single bombing mission etc. during the war. If it wasn't for the idiots in the WH we could have won the war in a year or two, by driving straight to Hanoi early on. Hell, we could have done several Arc Light strikes in the North, no more than 10 or so (With HEAVY support of course), and completely cut off the head of North Vietnam, and it's airfields/military installations.

Thats right, nearly every single battle was won but the political outcome was disastrous.

it can be discussed for ever, but didnt germany win the war until 1942 then? Because they won all battles more or less.. of course they didn't.

When people are killing each other with tanks, planes and soldiers its war.

When the killing finish there most likely a winner, only exception i can think of is north and south korea (which however is technically at war).

USA's goal was to prevent spread of communism. Goal not achived.

North vietnam's goal was to unite vietnam with the south, Goal achived.

Its that simple, everything else is BS and "propaganda".. and trying to measure how many dead and so on would make Soviet loose the WWII even if they expanded their terrority greatly. It would also make the Somalis loose when they "kicked USA" out of their country..

body count counts differently in different wars different cases..

Edited by granQ

Hello,

this old quote from your offical site says, that you would bring the BTR-152 to Arma 1. Would you do also for Arma 2?

That would be realy cool.

if larger than 500 mb - split into modules, like project '85.. Units, weapons, etc are all separate. This also makes updating easier.

if it is a large download (i'm sure it will be) i think it should be split up, but not into more than 4 or 5 parts.

it can be discussed for ever, but didnt germany win the war until 1942 then? Because they won all battles more or less.. of course they didn't.

When people are killing each other with tanks, planes and soldiers its war.

When the killing finish there most likely a winner, only exception i can think of is north and south korea (which however is technically at war).

Its that simple, everything else is BS and "propaganda".. and trying to measure how many dead and so on would make Soviet loose the WWII even if they expanded their terrority greatly. It would also make the Somalis loose when they "kicked USA" out of their country.

In a way, it's almost like a game of football (soccer). One can play horribly, yet still win and one can play excellently yet still lose. In the end, the things people care about are not how you won, but the fact that you won. Look at the game between the DPRK and Brazil in the 2010 World Cup. The DPRK played decently but still lost, while Brazil played badly and yet still won.

USA's goal was to prevent spread of communism. Goal not achived.

Actually, the goal was "achived" [sic] a in a way with the fall of the Berlin Wall, the re-unification of Germany under the West German government, and the dissolution of the Soviet Union. Contemporary Communism is dead. ;)

Actually, the goal was "achived" [sic] a in a way with the fall of the Berlin Wall, the re-unification of Germany under the West German government, and the dissolution of the Soviet Union. Contemporary Communism is dead. ;)

and while members are fewer, nazi's is more spread now then 1940, so guess Hitler finally won that ;)

for vte.. my wish list is just this:

* One download

* Soldiers and weapons are nice.. keep them.

* Improve vehicles, esp the huey.

* Make one big ass kicking island and delete the OFP ones.

The models, while decent, could use a little more work on the detail; especially the infantry models and the Ia Drang island. ;)

and while members are fewer, nazi's is more spread now then 1940, so guess Hitler finally won that

Well Nazism is dead politically, and does not have much power or say in world government affairs; Hitler's goal was to have Nazism become a dominant force in Germany and to a lesser extent, the world. That will not even happen today; nothing even remotely close to that. But, let's not take this thread off course. :D

Edited by Laqueesha

Be good for IaDrang island to have alot more thick foldige where soldiers walk, get abit more imerssed in the jungle experiance, but none-the-less i do like the map.

Yeah, if its massive make them smaller mods, weapons and what not. But i am partial to a 1 download thang. Unless its MASSIVE which it probably will be. :)

Be good for IaDrang island to have alot more thick foldige where soldiers walk, get abit more imerssed in the jungle experiance, but none-the-less i do like the map.

Hopefully this thick "foldige" [sic] will not have an adverse effect on FPS and performance

Well Nazism is dead politically, and does not have much power or say in world government affairs; Hitler's goal was to have Nazism become a dominant force in Germany and to a lesser extent, the world. That will not even happen today; nothing even remotely close to that. But, let's not take this thread off course.

Indeed. I think the goal was not archieved.

Our ArmA download was 1.2 gigabytes and that was with the 1 texture haxxor terrains, now when we introduce satellite textures / mask... it just explodes in size. Oh and we have more vehicles and weapons too.

But everything grows as seen on ArmA and now ArmA 2, so its only natural that mod's grow in size too.

I still haven't decided if I'll split it or not, so more discussion about it is welcome.

On other news, I've been trying to learn some texturing and have already made some progress but we are still talking about completely unacceptable results... but I am trying. Any tips or actual help would of course much appreciated.

I cannot wait to get the full VTE in-game ArmA 2 when all the goodies are available.

Oh one more "poll", multiplayer missions, would anyone really find them useful when released with the mod, or does everyone make their own?

I would use multiplayer missions. I don't like waiting a week or more for a proper mp mission to play with my friends.