Sign in to follow this  
Snake Man

Vietnam the Experience: Discussion

I am eager to get play the full VTE mod, how much longer until its released?

Is there going to be anymore maps (islands) when its released or just the existing Ida Drang map?

Any Module addons such as parameters for ACM so it will spawn VTE content?

Edited by Dr@gon

Development proceeds at mad cat pace, very good progress and nice fixes are being done. Also I'm surprised how much positive feedback I've gotten from the testing team. Our linux dedicated server runs with several new missions. Things are looking good.

More testers would of course help.

I have played the full VTE version today. Here is my story:

I'm Chack Lee, and I'm war reporter.

Armed with my 53mm camera I shot those images.

My goal was to destroy 2 vietnamese ships, as they were smuggling weapons which were obviously for nothing good.

My squad consisted of 9 people, RTO to keep contact with the base, MG gunner, medic, everything was represented.

v2ezjx.png

As we were flying through the hills and villages of Dak Seank, the helicopter pilot suddenly stopped and unloaded us. Enemy

RPG danger, we were too deep into their terrain already.

So we got out and continued our way on foot.

v4mzot.png

We got into a lot of firefights and nearly lost the overhand but we had one big advantage on our side: The EX-41

grenade launcher.

More effective than the M79, we managed it to scatter the enemy and split them up.

I don't call it EX-41 no more, I call it lifesaver.

v5ky12.png

The soldier on the front is having the EX-41.

On our way to the small boats we encountered nothing special no more and then we saw the boats. A few

well aimed shots of our 90mm recoilless launcher sank them all.

A few weapons were still on land, waiting to get loaded into the ships. We put a C4 charge on it and activated it.

v3bbch.png

Then we went to our evacuation point and we were greeted by the welcoming sounds of four OH1 bird dogs.

At the end of the day, that was a tense and dangerous but also successful operation.

Who could have known, that our fight in Hue city, trying to hold of the TET offensive, would become much more

devastating...to us.

v1tbed.png

The next day, a Bulldozer came to clean up the mess we caused.

14eu10.png

But the enemies receveived new armor as well.

tankzyvz.png

tank2ixdq.png

tank34b16.png

Edited by Takko

And I also want to highlight the new vehicles we have made for the mod.

VTE was often called "OFP Mod", since many users wanted to get rid of the old OFP models.

Thats what we are doing and we're doing it well.

Means we also raised the quality bars and our mod does not have to hide from

other Vietnam mods in terms of quality no more.

Quality and Quantity unified-only happens in VTE.

tankqbv4.png

tank4yzcz.png

tank5j9xe.png

tank6eyr8.png

tank7fa64.png

Enjoy what you get. Enjoy VTE.

We have just started testing another version of VTE privately, so far there is good progress on making it better even as of today there is no errors when playing in MP which is only thing I actually do nowadays.

Lot of broken stuff fixed, tweaked and improved.

Only thing I feel bad right now, is that we get to play this privately and you public guys don't, yet there are still few remaining issues to sort out before public release is possible.

After testing I can say that the first release version will have plenty of things for the player to make use of in their missions. Like Snake Man said bugs are getting fixed fast and VTE will be in tip top condition by the time it is released. Lots of great maps too, so the mission possibilities are endless :D

Today we put out another private test version which has long changelog, with every version we get it more and more enjoyable in MP. I hardly can find any bugs now on usual missions.

Changelog can be seen in official VTE forum.

After testing I can say that the first release version will have plenty of things for the player to make use of in their missions. Like Snake Man said bugs are getting fixed fast and VTE will be in tip top condition by the time it is released. Lots of great maps too, so the mission possibilities are endless :D

Do you mean custom terrain is more than one?:eek: Man that would be really awesome.:bounce3:

Waiting patiently for a public release. Hopefully I can download this mod without being forced to use the six updater.

Thanks VTE team for all your hard work on this mod.

kind regards

Can't wait to test this out with my team :) long range patrols, defending base thats about to be overrun - retreat and retake with mortar support, medevac etc.

Do you mean custom terrain is more than one?:eek: Man that would be really awesome.:bounce3:

I may be off of over by a few, but I'm sure there is at least 10 maps (I'll count in a bit), some very small but others reaallly big.

Do you mean custom terrain is more than one? Man that would be really awesome.

More than one, hehe... umm yes, like 24 :D

Not only that but terrains have good quality OFP texturing, meaning 12800 x 12800 satellite texture/mask which looks identical to how the texturing was in OFP. On most terrains this is 1 pixel per 1 meter quality.

Hopefully I can download this mod without being forced to use the six updater.

VTE will be on direct http download and most likely on torrent also, I'm interested to see if that helps the initial downloading rush.

On more developer note, the v1.3.5 upgrade is out and we are already working on v1.3.6 where we fill out few missing items and hopefully can do something for few more "critical" bugs.

My suggestion at the moment is to get all the map makers for the mod together to make 1 really good map, instead of 24 regular ones.

My suggestion at the moment is to get all the map makers for the mod together to make 1 really good map, instead of 24 regular ones.

I'm sure the maps will be very good.

Different maps have different uses; story based scenarios for single player, coop missions, capture the flag, quick multi-player skurmishes, slower PC's, high end PC's. They all have their place and map needs. A few will stand out as favorites no doubt but variety is good.

I'd rather have 24 specific maps for various missiontypes (as Dragon mentioned) and not 1 big jungle map trying to suit every mission and ending up with bad fps because the terrain is so diverse. :)

More than one, hehe... umm yes, like 24 :D

Not only that but terrains have good quality OFP texturing, meaning 12800 x 12800 satellite texture/mask which looks identical to how the texturing was in OFP. On most terrains this is 1 pixel per 1 meter quality.

VTE will be on direct http download and most likely on torrent also, I'm interested to see if that helps the initial downloading rush.

On more developer note, the v1.3.5 upgrade is out and we are already working on v1.3.6 where we fill out few missing items and hopefully can do something for few more "critical" bugs.

Hi Snake Man

thanks for the info, this is really more than awesome.:D

Thanks for all your hard work to get the Vetnam era into ArmA.

keep up the good work.

All the best to you and the VTE team.

kind regards

Hey guys,

I work with the mod Eve of Destruction for BF 1942, BF Vietnam and BF2 (http://www.eodmod.com) and I would like to talk with you guys (as well the Unsong guys), how can I do that?

I have been testing this mod and I think some of the maps are just completeely rushed, there is spamming of the same bush on some, there are even maps with the houses simply "placed" in the vegetation.

Some of the maps are good though, I really like the "la Drang" one and "Khe Sahn as a close second.

New private test v1.3.6 is being compiled right now, have to do bit file shuffling to get it to be small and working upgrade, but it should be available within today.

New sounds coming in which totally changes the battlefield environment as well as geometry fixes for the vegetation.

Things are looking good, as usual :)