dmarkwick

JTD Fire And Smoke

Fire looks great now! The immersion when watching those fiery embers just adds so much to the game.

Thank you for this.

@Opticalsnare -any hints to what your working on?

Edited by froggyluv

Well im glad to say that me fx mod im working on, doesnt conflict with DMs mod which is nice :D

Sounds good mate. :) Really looking forward to your work!

A bunch of virtual pyromaniacs here like myself :) I spent half of time in FarCry2 just setting stuff on fire and catching AI in fire deathtraps :) now I have this in A2 with help of DMarkwick and decided to zip up the savegames from FC2 and uninstalled it :)

A bunch of virtual pyromaniacs here like myself :) I spent half of time in FarCry2 just setting stuff on fire and catching AI in fire deathtraps :) now I have this in A2 with help of DMarkwick and decided to zip up the savegames from FC2 and uninstalled it :)

lol I'm the same way. I'll get a flamethrower and just torch everything around me to see how big I can get the inferno:D

Hopefully we'll see flamethrowers in some WWII mods ;)

How do i install the new 2.0 version. I am already using the first version? cheers guys for helping a "noob"

From the readme:

You treat the JTD_FireAndSmoke.pbo file just like any other addon file, you place it in the mod folder of your choice, in the addons subfolder. The JTD_FireAndSmoke_config.hpp file now must go into a new folder, ArmA2\userconfig\JTD\. If you do not have this path/folder, make one. This is apparently a standard of approach that modders will be encouraged to use.

For modfolders explanation check this FAQ at armaholic.com.

How do i install the new 2.0 version. I am already using the first version? cheers guys for helping a "noob"

It's 0.2 not 2.0

I like this mod a lot, there's nothing quite like looking over a battlefield and seeing a black sky and total destruction. Adds to the game in a huge way. Playing last night though on Pantera (so no Cherny lag) it dragged my system to it's knees after a battle (looking awesome as it did it) beyond unplayable levels. I hope BIS manage to squeeze some more fps out of the game, this mod's a keeper though so I'll try tweaking the config. Many thanks (again)

So I like the birds and the fires but I don't hear the sound of fire. I guess i have to download the new version... i hope this is not caused by my sound mod.

. I hope BIS manage to squeeze some more fps out of the game, this mod's a keeper though so I'll try tweaking the config. Many thanks (again)

What we need to do is make saving elsewhere. Kju's vegetation and building jobbies can save you plenty with pratically no downside.

I got this from Arma-info before reading the full thread here. Thought the birds were part of Bis's last patch :)

Having a deep woods base can be dangerous with this mod. My forward OP got hit by a downed helo, but the fire burned all the way back to my CP....I'm loving this!!! Will people be making more incendiary mods now? Like thermite ,WP , Napalm , will flares have a chance to start fires in the future versions?

Great mod!!!

ArmedAssault.info Mirror and News:

307740.gif

We have also added this release to your personal author profile

If a release or contact information is missing, feel free to drop a PM, it will then be added.

And here is the BBCode if you want to add our Mirror to your release post :

[url=http://www.armedassault.info/index.php?cat=addons&game=1&id=1062][img=http://www.armedassault.info/mirrorgen2/307740.gif][/url]

If you prefer a text only BBCode please copy and paste the code below :

[b]ArmedAssault.info Mirror :[/b]
[url=http://www.armedassault.info/index.php?cat=addons&game=1&id=1062]DOWNLOAD - JTD_FireAndSmoke (v.beta 0.2) - [2 MB] from ArmedAssault.info[/url][/spoiler]

Just tryed this.. AWESOME so far..

The smoke looks real realistic, the fire comes up nice and slow, nice!

Cant wait to see the burning soldiers:butbut:

Thanks for the great work.:icon_eek:

The fire seems to jump from tree-to-tree rather quickly and the trees seem to get engulfed in flames rather quickly, too.

The previous version had a problem with the player dying in a place where there was no fire, but only a fire nearby (like across the street, behind a fence). That might have been fixed in the new version, as I seemed to be able to walk near fires without dying.

Really need any light created by a fire to flicker, including default game fire. However, if you have a whole pine tree engulfed in flames, it might no longer be necessary in that case.

Loved it in Far Cry 2 and now I love it in ArmA 2.

DM.

How do I go about toning this down a little on a dedicated server? Can I change values on the server side and they'll be forced upon the clients or do all the clients have to make individual changes?

After a couple of hours and Pushta being basically completely alight, framerates suffered.

Tanky -Paul-

DM.

How do I go about toning this down a little on a dedicated server? Can I change values on the server side and they'll be forced upon the clients or do all the clients have to make individual changes?

After a couple of hours and Pushta being basically completely alight, framerates suffered.

Tanky -Paul-

Well probably the biggest single FPS saver as far as vehicle fires go it would be the JTD_Smoke_Lifetime_Source config variable, setting that to 0.5 would half the time the vehicles burn, which can be as long as 30 minutes or so. You can also shorten the actual smoke itself with the JTD_Smoke_Lifetime_Particle config variable, you probably won't see much difference if you set that down to 0.75 say, but you'd claw back a good percentage of FPS.

As far as fires go, there's no similar variable as of yet so you might lower the JTD_MaxFires config variable even lower, although 50 already sounds low to me ;) :D

As far as the server/client configs go, each machine is responsible for it's own settings, and that CAN mean that a client with high settings forces everyone else to see that higher setting on vehicles that are local to that machine (i.e. vehicles that player was driving), but ONLY as far as length of vehicle burn goes. Length of particle life is unaffected and each machine sees it's own settings.

Hope that doesn't sound too confusing ;)

There's some amount of clumsiness when it comes to forest fires, as it stands now each client's machine can "manage" up to 50 fires (depending on config settings of course) so it's possible for more than 50 fires to be seen, but my guess is that this is a relatively rare event, each fire cluster will still be limited, and fires have a relatively short lifetime anyway.

If it continues to be a major problem I might look into FPS saving mechanisms, if there's an internal FPS counter I probably could make use of that and maybe artificially shut down some smoke & fires early.

All, I think if your suffering from framerate issues, post your rig specs too. Me and all my buds have rigs ranging from very high end to mid range and are using this mod with great sucess. I can honestly report zero impact on frame rate (none noticeable anyway)

Yeah. Q9550 at stock with 4 gig of ram. An 8800 GTX 768 meg. Win XP. 1920x 1050 monitor.

By habit, I overclock the CPU only in the winter because of cooling issues. I'm sure I should be doing that now. :)

I think I have some game config issues. I usually turn AA and PP off, but I've not delved into other settings too much. The 'best settings' thread is an appalling train wreck. I dare not read it.

It's hard to say what really causes these issues. I was lucky enough to be an alpha tester for this mod and early on it was fine, but now I'm bogging down a bit, but this may be due to other factors. For example, I'm playing domination and after 2 hours, not only is there a heck of a lot of fire and smoke, but ArmAII tends to bog down for me after a couple of hours anyway.

does this mod work client-side in multiplayer if the server isn't running it? I only get stock smoke/fire when playing on the server.

Just want to know if it's something on my end or if it's working as it should

does this mod work client-side in multiplayer if the server isn't running it? I only get stock smoke/fire when playing on the server.

Just want to know if it's something on my end or if it's working as it should

The machine responsible for the "killed" event of any particular vehicle is responsible for "broadcasting" the smoke info to all other machines, so if the server isn't running the addon, then all the AI controlled vehicles that get destroyed will not broadcast the effect. For each machine that DOES run the addon, they will see the results of any broadcasted effects.

It's a little complicated, but the result of playing on a server that does not run the addon is sporadic. My recommendation is that you play with JTD Fire And Smoke disabled if the server is not running it.

The machine responsible for the "killed" event of any particular vehicle is responsible for "broadcasting" the smoke info to all other machines, so if the server isn't running the addon, then all the AI controlled vehicles that get destroyed will not broadcast the effect. For each machine that DOES run the addon, they will see the results of any broadcasted effects.

It's a little complicated, but the result of playing on a server that does not run the addon is sporadic. My recommendation is that you play with JTD Fire And Smoke disabled if the server is not running it.

ahhh, I think I understand what you're talking about; thanks for the explanation! Like I said I figured it was because the server didn't run it; but just wanted to be sure ;)