dmarkwick

JTD Fire And Smoke

Nice! Good to know. Thanks for the future update in advance!!

I also have another question/observation I have been running F&S for a few days now (in A3) and I haven't seen any birds.. Are they working for you in Arma 3?

I am missing those "There they are" moments, as just like bushlurker said. They are very use full..

If there is away to script it so that it adds to the AI's, "knows about" variable to possibly give away our position, it should definitely be looked into!? It would be an awesome touch, since it works for us. Just think about walking/sneaking threw bushes.. No one sees you. And you know it. Suddenly a flock a birds startled fly away and AI with in a certain distance will be alerted to a presence and turn to look.. Your advance instantly ends and your waiting to see if you will be discovered or if they will give up and move on...

I and I'm sure others, would gladly help test!!

From my understanding birds are not working in A3 because the F&S mod does not know to use the A3 trees. It is looking for trees from A2 (what the mod was made for) to put birds in, but there are none.

Ok that makes sence, however, I would swear they have flown straight out of the grass for me as well.. I'll look into it further

Any special/different install requirements for ARMA 3 as opposed to how to it worked in ARMA 2?

Will be trying this out as soon as I get home from work tonight.

Madmatt

I just installed it identically to ArmA2. I added the trees to the config array but no dice so far.

Did you have any better luck?

DMarkwick,

I installed it the same as I had it in Arma 2 but I did not try to add the Arma 3 trees to the array. I am seeing the smoke effects and fire animations (and sound) but it does not look like the fire spreads although I haven't tested that function specifically. I do see a pretty sizeable frame hit with it enabled although I still need to tweak my overall settings so that might not be the mods issues.

Madmatt

Dmarkwick, your awesome mod no longer works in Arma 3 because they removed the setvehicleinit,processinitcommands, clearvehicleinit, scripting commands... This makes me a sad panda... No more fire and smoke in A3..

Dmarkwick, your awesome mod no longer works in Arma 3 because they removed the setvehicleinit,processinitcommands, clearvehicleinit, scripting commands... This makes me a sad panda... No more fire and smoke in A3..

Yeah I know :( I use stable build myself but I did note that those commands were gone...

My intention is to eventually redo F&S for ArmA 3 but until issues like this have settled down and there's some stability in the scripting commands it doesn't make too much sense to right now. I'm guessing I'm going to need to use different methods for MP propagation and JIP.

As a further example of reasons to leave work until later - the movement speeds are constantly changing too, which means the startled birds feature is triggering at inappropriate times, so until the unit speeds are finalised and I can measure the speeds properly there will be too many instances of startled birds. (Or too few depending on current speed settings :))

---------- Post added at 11:39 ---------- Previous post was at 11:29 ----------

DMarkwick,

I installed it the same as I had it in Arma 2 but I did not try to add the Arma 3 trees to the array. I am seeing the smoke effects and fire animations (and sound) but it does not look like the fire spreads although I haven't tested that function specifically. I do see a pretty sizeable frame hit with it enabled although I still need to tweak my overall settings so that might not be the mods issues.

Madmatt

If you did not add the Stratis trees to the array then there is nothing for F&S fire to spread to. Add these entries to the front of that array:

"T_FICUSB1S_F.P3D","T_FICUSB2S_F.P3D","T_FRAXINUSAV2S_F.P3D","T_OLEAE1S_F.P3D","T_OLEAE2S_F.P3D","T_PHOENIXC1S_F.P3D","T_PINUSP3S_F.P3D","T_PINUSS1S_F.P3D","T_PINUSS2S_B_F.P3D","T_PINUSS2S_F.P3D","T_POPULUSN3S_F.P3D",

@DMarkwick,

Your fire and smoke is one of the best additions to the ARMA experience mate.

Good luck with fully integrating it into ARMA3 fully..! :)

Hey there. Sorry to knock in, but how goes the ArmA III stuff? I figure in Beta the game is more stable for content. Or is what was listed to add to F&S the only change even needed for ArmA III?

anybody know of a way to spawn random fires with this? ie just put in a gamelogic in a bunch of trees, name it and have it spawn a fire via script. I've tried BIS_effects_burn, but that uses the vanilla flames and such, even when this mod is enabled.

Greetings,

I'm running an ArmA 2 CO dedicated server and am trying to implement the @JTD mod. While playing a mission through the server I end up with an error message and I was wondering if someone could help me with it:

Script JTD_FireAndSmoke\Scripts\BirdsUp.sqf not found

Everything is updated on the server as well as my local machine with Play WithSIX and the JTD_FireAndSmoke_config.hpp, as well as the JTD_fireandsmoke.pbo files seem to be in the correct folders. @CBA is installed and running at the top of my mods chain on the server but I am wondering if I am missing something else.

Any help you could lend would be much appreciated. I am sure it's just something silly that I have missed or forgotten.

Thank you in advance,

:cool: LJ

Edited by Lord_Jereth

DM, how are you getting on with F&S in A3?

This was one of my most favorite mods in Arma 2 and I am hoping you are still wanting to have it ported to Arma 3. I noticed in earlier threads that the mod worked fine at first in Arma 3 Alpha but then some classes were removed from the game that broke it. One of the mods I combined with this one was Blastcore and I noticed the A3 version can generate extended smoke and dust particles. Maybe getting ideas from how Opticalsnare generates the particles in Arma 3 could help? All with his permission of course.

Hope this mod lives on in Arma 3 and thanks for reading.

I'm using this in arma2 OA and parachutes are sometimes making huge smoke pillars and even setting the forest on fire....