dmarkwick

JTD Fire And Smoke

Hi DMarkwick,

i have a view MP questions.

Does the server need the .hpp file? And if yes, does the server's .hpp overwrite the client once (like forest-fire true on server / false on client)?

MfG, Medicus

Yes the server needs the .hpp file, and no the server does not overwrite the clint's settings. It will eventually just as soon as I can work out how :D

Edited by DMarkwick

Thx for the fast reply, DMarkwick! :)

So would it be possible to set all parameters to 0/false on the server without affecting the client's settings?

I never did such testing, but it's possible yes :)

Bear in mind that mostly the server is the one who passes out most effects instructions in missions that involve AI. IMO there isn't much to be gained by excluding the server from the visual settings, as (dedicated) servers don't render any in any case, but they DO need to work out AI viewblock from them.

Edited by DMarkwick

i cant say that i like the flames. they are to yellowish. flames should have a more red collor on the outside and going from yellow to whitish on the inside.

+1 Only thing i dont like, the fire is way too yellowish.(Get some Red in it)

That doesn't sound, from that description, like it's JTD related. The fire & smoke effects apply to vehicles destroyed by external means i.e. normal gameplay, or by JTD_FireAndSmoke damage, which it doesn't sound like has happened. Did the helo land on water?

Yes, it landed on water and stood still for about 15 seconds during which FPS went down dramatically. When it has been destroyed, the FPS went back to normal and fire propagated on nearby trees. Never experienced it before, and I wasn't using any other CPU hogging addon.

pretty cool mod... now we need a firefighting mod with aerial water bombing to go with it... lol

After a few hours on a server with someone using the mod, but not me or the server, arma2.rpt is full of this:

Warning Message: Script JTD_FireAndSmoke\Scripts\ForestFireTree.sqf not found

Any chances of doing something about it?

Play on a server with the key disabled?

After a few hours on a server with someone using the mod, but not me or the server, arma2.rpt is full of this:

Warning Message: Script JTD_FireAndSmoke\Scripts\ForestFireTree.sqf not found

I guess I might look at some method for the client to see if the server is running the addon, and disable if not.

---------- Post added at 05:17 PM ---------- Previous post was at 05:13 PM ----------

About the fire colour - I dunno guys, it seems to me that the fire is more realistic in colour than the ingame fire. I know that's my natural view seeing as I made it :D but that fire is derived from stock footage. It seems to me that video examples of orange fire are shots mostly at night, when video does not shoot particularly accurate colourspace footage. To me, the ingame default fire is ridiculously orange, and although I'm willing to experiment with oranging-up the effects slightly, they will never be as orange as the ingame default. I think it's more likely that the ingame fire should be yellowed up :D

Orange your forest fire a little, yellow up the ingame fire a little - satisfaction :)

TRexian has passed to me the frankly brilliant solution that I should make the fire colour user-configurable :)

So I will endeavor to do that. I will even provide 3 settings, default yellow, half-way orange, and full BIS orange :) with the possibility that the user can make his own settings.

erm i though color of fire shall depend on what's burning so more like set the configuration in way you can define what burns with what tones ...

I believe there's a translation error in D's post. In his native tongue, "frankly brilliant" must be synonymous with "painfully obvious." :D

A bright yellow flame shows a cleaner chemical reaction. As Chernarus is in the autumn we can assume that the trees and leaves are relatively wet and therefor a more orange flame is more realistic as the chemical reaction will be slower = "uncleaner".

Instead of just bitching I'll try to present a solution to the MP-problem: Add an isClass-check to the globalExecute parts.

For example:

ForestfireVehicle.sqf, line 144

original

[-2,{_this ExecVM "JTD_FireAndSmoke\Scripts\ForestFireTree.sqf"},[_x,_x,_SmokeStyle,_PrimaryLifetime,_SecondaryLifetime,_thisTime]] call CBA_fnc_globalExecute;

Proposed solution(untested):

[-2,{if (isClass(configFile >> "cfgPatches" >> "JTD_FireAndSmoke")) then {_this ExecVM "JTD_FireAndSmoke\Scripts\ForestFireTree.sqf"}},[_x,_x,_SmokeStyle,_PrimaryLifetime,_SecondaryLifetime,_thisTime]] call CBA_fnc_globalExecute;

Will test it right now.

Hey Fincuan - you ever visit a corner of the 'net called Frugalsworld? :D Your name is familiar. :)

Hi Ambulance Chaser and DM :)

Your memory serves you right, I've been around Frugal's but not in a while. Maybe it's time for a visit again :) I remember both of you guys well from there.

Uh oh, D... we've been smoked out....! :D

Curses :)

I guess we'll need to come up with a couple of more cunningly completely different names :)

I guess I might look at some method for the client to see if the server is running the addon, and disable if not.

---------- Post added at 05:17 PM ---------- Previous post was at 05:13 PM ----------

About the fire colour - I dunno guys, it seems to me that the fire is more realistic in colour than the ingame fire. I know that's my natural view seeing as I made it :D but that fire is derived from stock footage. It seems to me that video examples of orange fire are shots mostly at night, when video does not shoot particularly accurate colourspace footage. To me, the ingame default fire is ridiculously orange, and although I'm willing to experiment with oranging-up the effects slightly, they will never be as orange as the ingame default. I think it's more likely that the ingame fire should be yellowed up :D

I don't think the whole thing needs to be changed...just the outer areas of the flames maybe tweaked for a little more orange/red. if you google "wildland fire" you'll see a lot of pics showing what I mean.

Just checking out my rpt file and came across several errors I wanted to pass on:

Error in expression <nt _NearbyTrees);

_NearbyBuildings = nearestObjects [_vehicle,["building"],_R>

Error position: <nearestObjects [_vehicle,["building"],_R>

Error 0 elements provided, 3 expected

File JTD_FireAndSmoke\Scripts\FireAndSmoke.sqf, line 141

Error in expression <SmokeForestFire.sqf";

_nearestLights = nearestObjects [_thisTree,["firemarkervi>

Error position: <nearestObjects [_thisTree,["firemarkervi>

Error 0 elements provided, 3 expected

File JTD_FireAndSmoke\Scripts\BuildingFire.sqf, line 35

On a lighter note, 2 neat screenies:

web.jpg

web.jpg

And one very cool one: could be coincidence, but it would appear the smoke is being trapped by the roof of the hanger, which is frankly pretty awesome. Open forest fire on the left, fire inside the hangar on the right

web.jpg

Nice screenies :)

I'll look at those errors.

---------- Post added at 11:51 PM ---------- Previous post was at 11:49 PM ----------

Implemented a config fire colour adjust setting. You can alter the colour to taste, there are 3 defaults to choose from also:

Default yellow:

arma22009-09-1423-38-10-44.jpg

Mid-way orange:

arma22009-09-1423-18-40-44.jpg

BIS orange:

arma22009-09-1423-26-15-54.jpg