Sign in to follow this  
mattxr

ARMA II Beta Builds Released: Latest version/build: 1.04.6xxxx

How do I use the new Params thingy?

Earlier I could just do something like :

if param2 == 2 then setDate... blabla

But how do I work with them as variables now?

If I have defined this in my description.ext:

class Params
{
class Time
{
	title = "Time:";
	values[] = {1,2};
	texts[] = {"Day","Night"};
	default = 1;
};

}

How do I work with the variable?

If I want like:

if [Param Time] == 1 then skipTime 2

How do I do that?

By partially burying the players at distance, by way of a floating grass layer. It looked horrible in the shots that floated about some time ago, but was for sure w.i.p. and seems to be the only option. In the mean time you hide very effectively in the bushes and some of the trees;)

It's not the only way to do so, but it's the way they used in ArmA1, so we can guess they will use the same for ArmA2.

Why was it removed from ArmA2 in the first place, is the question

It's not the only way to do so, but it's the way they used in ArmA1, so we can guess they will use the same for ArmA2.

Why was it removed from ArmA2 in the first place, is the question

I think it was mentioned somewhere that the old method would not have worked as well in Arma2, so now they're implementing something different. Not sure how else they would do it though.

I guess the main problem is the fact that the grass in Arma2 is so much higher in places. In Arma1 it was mostly about 10-15cm high, so having a texture layer about that height above the ground made sense as soldiers would still partially stick out.

Now in Arma2 we have grass that's not only up to 50-60cm high, but can also be flattened. Rendering a simple texture layer that high above the ground would cause several issues:

- Anything underneath it would no longe stick out and thus be completely hidden, which simply isn't the case with normal grass, especially when viewed from above.

- In some situations (mostly on flat surfaces) players lying on the ground could "look under" the texture layer and see distant units hiding in high grass.

- When viewed from an angle, the grass layer was sometimes distinctly visible above hill crests in Arma1. This would be even more noticable in Arma2.

So, I guess they're trying something else. Perhaps a multi-leveled overlay, with two or three partially transparent texture overlays. Maybe even some kind of shader effect. Who knows?

Personally, I look forward to seeing it. And I hope it's implemented soon. :)

Vanilla servers, can't seem to find anyone running beta version servers :/

Gotcha thanks, I will keep sending them.

Our server runs the beta patches but it still shows on the server list as just 1.03 but for the servers they dont have the longer version name and dont really need it as there isnit many server fixes.. and any version of 1.03 works on the 1.03 server anyways..

Also i hear in a lot of video lately a very very bad sound bug which i have also got sometime when there is a lot of action going on it sounds like the game cant handle all the sounds at once and it crackles really bad and sometimes goes quiet. :( i have a very powerful soundcard and latest drivers too..

Is anyone else having issues with the beta patch download? I'm getting errors when I try to download the patch or view the log file.

Also i hear in a lot of video lately a very very bad sound bug which i have also got sometime when there is a lot of action going on it sounds like the game cant handle all the sounds at once and it crackles really bad and sometimes goes quiet. :( i have a very powerful soundcard and latest drivers too..

Yep this happens to all of us. That problem wasnt before and im sure BIS works on it. I was making a video of another problem we had since day 1 though. Still working on it. Had a few days of problems.

Alex

What browser are you using?

I was using Chrome at the time I believe. I'll try it in Firefox

EDIT: I tried it in Chrome (latest beta) again, no go, tried in Firefox 3.5, it worked - Guess its a browser issue! Doh!

Chrome does not support ftp fetching.

And yes it would be nice to see some performance improvements from these beta's... 1.04 is supposed to be about mouse and perf, the mouse seems to be fixed so lets get the perf up :P

Yapa

someone should update this thread's name:

last beta version is 1.03.58972

Agreed. Keeping this as the "general beta discussion topic" would be the best. There's some email and RSS informing systems for betas done already, the number just confuses people.

Just in case anyone missed it. If you run Nvidia and Win7 download the latest drivers v190.62 (Win7 version ofcourse).

That and the latest ARMA2 build gives me uber performance. Remember to remove the old drivers in the correct way before installing the new ones.

Alex

If you run Nvidia and Win7 download the latest drivers v190.62.

That and the latest ARMA2 build gives me uber performance.

Define "uber performance" please. :)

I'm still on 182.50, the only ones that seem to run well (so far). Haven't tested the new 192.xx's though.

new beta patch has been released, downloading....

What does the changelog say? I can't read it right now because I'm at work. :o

[59002] Fixed: Soldier were walking on non-existant heaps of debris from destroyed buildings.

[58998] Fixed: Autocoordination caused rudder oscillation in high speed flight.

awesome !

What does the changelog say? I can't read it right now because I'm at work. :o

hehehe, i'm at work too and i enjoy high speed download, if only my boss knew what i'm doing i would be out of job tomorrow.

Originally Posted by MadDogX

What does the changelog say? I can't read it right now because I'm at work.

I think these are the new changes

[59002] Fixed: Soldier were walking on non-existant heaps of debris from destroyed buildings.

Can never complain about more fixes :)

hehehe, i'm at work too and i enjoy high speed download, if only my boss knew what i'm doing i would be out of job tomorrow.

I've got 18MBit DSL at home now, so no need to download stuff here. Private surfing is generally tolerated, so I'm safe ;).

It's just the stupid web-filter that annoys me.

Cool :). Must test this later. Sounds like they fixed the geometry of building debris. It was borked until now.

I wonder what autocoordination is though? :confused:

Can never complain about more fixes :)

Except for the usual suspects chanting how all this should've been in version 1.00. ;)