Sign in to follow this  
mattxr

ARMA II Beta Builds Released: Latest version/build: 1.04.6xxxx

i disagree. Engine improvements are more important, once everyone has a smooth working game engine then improve content etc

Anyhow, can anyone confirm significant performance improvements? There was a guy earlier in the thread who claimed to identify better CPU usage, but what about you others? Anyone running the game through some analysis programme?

Anyone knows a good monitoring app that'd automatically download a new beta when it's out? And then inform me that it's downloaded so I can install it? Looks like we're goona need one :D

Good job BIS!

InFireBaptize: It's working alright for me.. try rebinding Optics? If you mean vehicle weapons, you need to use Numpad 0 there.

Edited by Cole

Anyone knows a good monitoring app that'd automatically download a new beta when it's out? And then inform me that it's downloaded so I can install it? Looks like we're goona need one
A member of the forum (Yapab) has been kind enough to set up system where you receive an email when a new build is released HERE. Its been working great so far :)

Maybe this is known to you BIS, but i think its the bullet cracks that cancel out the weapon sounds (as in cut sounds short). Check that out. I notice it as i played around.

Alex

Distort weapon sound bug (from first person) really fixed. But other surrounding weapons sounds are distorted and missing :(

Hey,

I just wanted to send a small bug report...

when your riding on a Mountain bike or motorbike.

only the gun on your back casts a shadow while in first person view. but when in 3rd person view your character shows a normal shadow.

just wanted to let you know it's been this way before the betas[but is still present].

Also i notice you can't move and reload while prone,is this suppose to be that way or is it a simple oversight?

Also sometimes when i have my rifle lowered while crouched,when i hit the raise weapon button i stand up instead of raising my gun.[very bad results when snipers are around]

Edited by snake eyes

Have to admit theese beta patches are making my game a lot more fun keep up the good work guys.

No doubt. This new build system you guys let us in on rocks. It's gotta help get the bugs out quicker as well. Thanks BIS, damn good idea.

Mouse Smoothing seems to work pretty good for me now. It's not perfect as it was with MouseSmooth=ON, but it's really damn close and if this is what we can get with the new - well then im satisfyed. Seems everyone else is happy as well now. Havent seen others that had the best mouse movement WITH mouse smooth complain either so i guess were all happy. :)

Good job BIS. Get to the sounds also. Please. ;)

EDIT: Noticed the big parachutes you can call in supplies with (SOM) when they hit forests (trees) they never fall down to the ground. They just keep standing straight up in the air. Dont remember that from the Final patch. Oh well, just reporting in case.

Alex

Edited by Alex72

The mouse still goes between choppy and laggy... Either it skips or it's really slow.

But the biggest problem for me is that I get the receiving bug every single time I play online.

It could be anything between 3 minutes to an hour between but I have not finished a single coop game since patch 1.03 without the receiving bug. In the latest BETA build it's worse than ever.

Well they still refuse to add Vsync options to config/ingame. Disabling Vsync (incl tripplebuffer) would probably remove mouselag once and for all (i dare say).

yes.. it's weird they haven't tried that yet...

But the receiving bug is my biggest concern. I've had it 6 times the last 2 hours. It has completely killed the game for me. It's just luck if I get to finish any task at all.

Strange that they haven't taken care of that issue yet.

Danny;1427423']Well they still refuse to add Vsync options to config/ingame. Disabling Vsync (incl tripplebuffer) would probably remove mouselag once and for all (i dare say).

Since v-scan can be force off in video driver(and it is really forced off), i dont think thats what the problem is. Yet, giving the fact that in OFP there is no mouse smoothing and the problem starts once mouse smoothing is used in arma I am quite sure that this is where the problem is, which in combain with motion blur bad FPS and 3d gun sight the problem is doubled. And TBH i couldnt find any problem with the mouse smoothing off in every youbook video talking about it(compare to Rainbow six its notthing). Anyway, a slide to adjust the amount of mouse smoothing you like the most is good enought.

Edited by 4 IN 1

Danny;1427423']Well they still refuse to add Vsync options to config/ingame. Disabling Vsync (incl tripplebuffer) would probably remove mouselag once and for all (i dare say).

Disabling VSYNC/Trip.Buff doesn't do crap for me. Exactly the same mouse handling. What BIS have done now works for all so it seems.

Glass

Noticed the runway tower at Utes cant be seen in or out from. Shooing out through the broken glass doesnt work. You get the same impact like when shooting at walls. Also units cant see you behind it. Dont know if this came up with the beta's? Im sure i got shot and seen through the glass before.

V-sync is tricky. Forcing it off with nVidia actually prevents an app from using it, forcing it off with ATi in most cases forces it off unless an app overrides it (like Arma 2), but the problem was never fully related to v-sync, disabling v-sync was a workaround because disabling v-sync removes the frame cap.

V-sync frame cap is related to your refresh rate and potential fps. If you have a 60Hz refresh rate and you can get above 60fps then you're capped at 60fps with v-sync on. But if at any stage that drops below 60fps then your frame rate automatically drops to 30fps, if you go below 30 your cap drops even lower.

Disabling V-Sync worked as a workaround because it allowed people to get 40/50/etc fps which made the mouse smoothing effect less noticable (the mouse smoothing works by calculating a few frames ahead where the mouse should be)

Two issues that arose with mouse smoothing is that it would over compensate and on lower frame rates this is extremely noticable. If you were getting 60fps then it would over compensate by about 5ms, but if you had 30fps then it would overcompensate by around 10ms. (I think, can't remember the exact calculations)

The other issue that came into effect was mouse lag. This was when you moved your mouse then the cursor would move a few ms to a second later. I think this was caused by the mouse smoothing waiting carrying out the calculation in non-realtime, so it wouldn't carry out the movement until it thought it knew where the mouse should end up.

---------- Post added at 10:55 AM ---------- Previous post was at 10:52 AM ----------

I should add that this effect varied as I never noticed it myself (the mouse smoothing effect was still there but even at 20fps it seemed to only calculate 1 frame ahead). Not sure about the caused of this, may be related to Max Pre-rendered frames setting though.

Just curious.. what does this do? and how was it behaving before this fix?

[58930] Fixed: Broken kill scoring in MP (two points for unit kill).

Just curious.. what does this do? and how was it behaving before this fix?

[58930] Fixed: Broken kill scoring in MP (two points for unit kill).

For example when in Warfare you killed one Resistance AI you got two kills and twice the money. Now it's like it should be. You kill one ai you get one kill/point.

Beta 58932...

I have to report performace improvement!, little but noticable, game runs smoother allso!.

please note i use Win7 64bit ATI 4870 with -winXP and Vsync OFF...i was stuned when i saw 107 FPS on intro while cylicing around aircraft carier.

AA=low, PP=low, FF=100%, rest High

Keep on moving BIS!

edit: Significant improvement in Texture Loading!, LOD switches are less present allso but when they do they cut FPS to half...

Edited by Radnik

IT may sound as nitpicking, but It may be a turnoff for new beta testers:

This message betainstall.jpg

Is not true for the beta installs, since you can uninstall it just fine. I understand that this is an automated message, but it would be good to change it for the beta patches, since there seem to come a lot more of them

Can anyone recommend a software for measuring FPS in Arma2? Id like to try it but have no experience whatsoever...:o) I am especially keen on measuring it with the beta patches. Thx!