Sign in to follow this  
mattxr

ARMA II Beta Builds Released: Latest version/build: 1.04.6xxxx

The sounds in build .58899 are totally fubar. Now even regular AR, MG fire is distorted and sometimes you can only hear 1 or 2 shots out of an entire burst of 10-20 rounds. Weapons also seem to fire at random for some reason, like when your running and not even able to shoot, your weapon can fire off a shot or a short burst (think that was introduced in build .558834).

Yea i know, Hoping they can fix this so i can use the beta patchs.

mouseSmoothing=0; in the latest beta is messed up now :(

Re-installing 58879s...

mouseSmoothing=0; in the latest beta is messed up now :(

Re-installing 58879s...

I found removing that line helps. With no mousesmoothing command (was 30) then the game mouse appears better for me.

I really hope that a miracle patch enables my minimum fps to be 25+ rather than a pitiful 16-17fps...

Well... for people with serious mouse lag, such as myself, with on/off you could only choose between mouse lag and heavy skipping, stuttering movement. So there was still no option that made the game playable. Now you can choose the amount of mouse lag/stuttering...

It's really good that they focus on this problem since it is a complete game killer for many, many players. The other performance issues are very annoying but it stills leaves you with the possibility to play the game.

They better do this thoroughly now than having to come back to it in every single patch. For the countless people that has this problem it is the top problem with the game... and those people (such as me) has to deal with all the other performance issues as well. But this is the only bug that makes the game completely unplayable all the time... the receiving bug, the FPS hits, texture problems and so on are problems that makes it hard to go through with a round and it is VERY annoying but the mouse lag problem doesn't even give you room to try... pressing exit and wait for BIS is the only option.

So now you are happy now and we who had perfect handling are not. Ofcourse we will start to raise our voices. But i agree ofcourse. People with mouse lag should get it fixed no doubt. And i thaught the ON/OFF fixed it all - didnt know it still was a problem like you explained. Argh.

So then the work with the mouse continues. Hope we will get to the sounds some day that are almost as annoying. No being able to hear where a sound comes from drags down gameplay a lot as well.

BIS is working hard though as always. And i never given up on their ability to fix things. You just get scared along the way that issues will be dropped. :)

EDIT: Latest beta we can remove the mouseSmooth line and get "mouseSmooth=ON"? That sound super if thats the case.

Alex

so.. uh.. looks like 58899 makes some things worse? I better stick to 58879.

For those of you who haven't noticed or tried: it is possible to have multiple betas installed simultaneously. All you have to do is rename the folder and adjust the link to it accordingly. For example:

If you have the 58879 beta installed, rename the beta folder to "beta58879", create a shortcut to "...\Arma2\beta58879\arma2.exe -mod=beta58879" and make sure it's executed in the Arma2 root directory. Then you can install the 58899 beta and rename it... and so on.

That way you can use any of the betas and easily test differences between them. For those of you with sound problems, you could for example create a quick Fraps video showing the evolution of sound distortion in the last few betas. Maybe that would help the devs fix the problem. It's what the betas are for after all. :)

Anyone noticed problems with tanks balistic computer? Correct use is that after you designate target (TAB or RMB) the optics are zeroed to that target distance. Than if you aim and fire you should hit.

Nice info there armored sheep... will try it now :)

why wasnt it mention in the changelog? are there any more surprises?

Anyone noticed problems with tanks balistic computer? Correct use is that after you designate target (TAB or RMB) the optics are zeroed to that target distance. Than if you aim and fire you should hit.

That's interesting. Need to try that when I get the chance.

Though I agree with Centipede, this should have been in the changelog. :)

Armored_Sheep mate is there any progress or are you aware of the Sounds problems that some people are experiencing? I cant even use these beta's because of this :(

@Armored_Sheep

The tank ballistic computer works okay, but it could still be improve. eg: after computing (RMB or TAB), the optic sights should always point where the round will hit. so far I'm testing with static targets... will try on moving targets later

other than that, the sounds is okey, no problem for me. fixed the sound issues I had with official/last/final 1.03 patch.

Edited by Mr_Centipede

If you have soundproblems try using -openal. It works much better than directsound for me

my sound distortion issues / cutting out are gone. if i have a sound complaint it is that the running / gear clanking sound is almost not there when facing straight ahead but can be heard if i move from side to side. not a big deal. never had any previous mouse problems and the latest beta made it even more sensitive and smooth. if only i could say the same about overall game stability and performance this would be THE game! appreciate the updates BI. my specs for giggles:

- i7 940 2.93ghz stock

- gtx 280 stock speed

- vista 64

- 12gb ram

- Gut is a capricorn and enjoys gutm@shing with friends

I just tried mouseSmoothing=200; and I like it! It feels natural? I dunno... I just like it!

Y'know first thing that impressed me when I first played ArmA2 was the head bobbing while running (!) (Most realistic IMHO)

Had some issues with driving/mouse. Messed with the mouse options/features-didn't like so left it as it was. Seems to have improved somewhat.

I've been running thru hvy woods and towns rather smoothly now! (but keep an eye on your GPU temps!)

If you have soundproblems try using -openal. It works much better than directsound for me

Hmm I gotta try that out...

Thx for the advice mate. Tried and tested this for about 2 hours and still seem to have the sound cut off bug etc..

Again loaded non-beta and sounded like a dream and could hear all the weapons firing in my big AI vs AI battle

Ballistic computer!?!? I didn't RTFM, so I missed it. or was it just added? Great initiative! Checking tonight!

I will test FRAPS to get the sound how we experience it to the devs. However its not distortion anymore (seems fixed, thanks BIS!), but sounds are not being played. So when a rifle is firing auto or burst - you hear the first half sound and then silence. Happens a lot. Also distant sounds when in combat a lot of them just doesnt sound. You see tanks firing etc but no sound at all as some other sounds played just before took out the sound engine - or something similar.

EDIT: I cant get back to perfect mouse handling in the latest. Tested most values (steps of 5-10). Higher value and its like a boat on ice (not even responding often), and lower values its more responsive but jerky. I cant turn 180 with precision, but have to move slow and long moves with my mouse wich result in bad precision and very weird gameplay.

Im so hyped about OpA but scared this is left like this. Hope there is a solution.

Alex

Edited by Alex72

I do not see this working.

I hold RMB over to target and I do not see gun change elevation. Same goes for using TAB to move between targets.

AI gunner response in vehicles appears to be sluggish at best now. Maybe its just me. Enemy vehicle AI however is spot on, t-72 tanks and such just dont miss from 1000m and my lazy gunner hasnt even traversed the gun. Also to those noticing the AT AI soldiers being ineffective. Simple solution is to use AA soldiers as they engage aircraft and armour immediately. They are however not so hot at engaging infantry 50m infront of them

Its a shame the beta did a 180 and totally flew in the wrong direction... but the whole point of a beta is so that this can happen here and not in the final versions....

:cheers: to BIS because if anyone can do it, its them.

Seems these beta's cured the "Cannot Commit" error during the campaign when saving or autosaves. I've waited many hours and a dozen saves....it just isn't happening anymore on my end.

Anyone else?

Just loving the fact that these betas are being released for us to test. WTG BIS !