Sign in to follow this  
Prydain

Bayonet/knife poll

Would you like to see a knife/bayonet be added to arma 2?  

493 members have voted

1. 1. Would you like to see a knife/bayonet be added to arma 2?

• Yes definitly i have encounters with AI where it could have saved my life
    • No it would work and knifes arent used for combat in real life
    • Yes but only a bayonet
    • No none of both

I was a boy scout :D

Edit: Seriously though, in VCB they do know what they're talking about and don't just make assumptions off things they've read/seen.

Edited by niall0

One thing i missing in ArmA2 Game are some Knife Attack movements for close quarter comebats.

Could someone do this as an Addon for ArmA2??

For example an Knife Attack from behind to an enemy to knock him out!

That would be very cool for an SF Operation where you have to kill your enemy silently from behind !!

If anyone knows how to do that please tell me..:)

IMO Only animation, would be good idea, like you behind enemy and then you can select kill this guy with knife or sth, but adding knife is not good idea, It will kill game play in MP. Noobs will start running around with knifes I think and this game is not stupid CS

Edited by Mafia101

I can think of little worse than a load of old CS players putting the dampeners on everyones fun.

Honestly, who gives a monkeys about CS? This isn't it.

Wrong crowd matey.

Voted for a bayonet, twice recently I've seen a situation in game that called for it. Once in an EVO game where someone went round a corner and literally ran into an enemy soldier, and in a mission game the other night where an enemy ran out in front of a section commander and he had the choice of either firing and possibly grotting his scout who was in the line of fire, or waiting until it was clear. He sensibly chose the latter and unfortunately one member of team got hit before he could brass up the sneaky enemy bod.

I wonder if you make the geo lod a spikey triangle it will stab :D (I know, it wont, wishful thinking). I am having a fantastic mental image though of what ArmAs dodgy physics engine would make of it, I can just see you bayonetting the Enemy to have them go flying 50 meters backwards and through the air!

There's a problem with that method in that you'd end up grotting your team mates if you got too close while the bayonet was 'live'.

Would be useful for chainsaw though :D

I can just see you bayonetting the Enemy to have them go flying 50 meters backwards and through the air!

hehehe ... crossed my mind too ;)

But hey, nothing ventured, nothing gained.

There's a problem with that method in that you'd end up grotting your team mates if you got too close while the bayonet was 'live'.

Hows that different in real life?

Anyway, weapons addon makers may also be able to "attach" and "remove" the bayonet also.

Edited by [APS]Gnat

Gnat;1424909']Hows that different in real life?

Anyway' date=' weapons addon makers may also be able to "attach" and "remove" the bayonet also.[/quote']

Yes you need to be careful where your muzzle's pointing, but you're not likely to do anyone a serious mischief if you just bump them with the blade, which I can see happening a lot if you're using bayonets in an assault, considering the limited spatial awareness we have in video games.

Killing someone with a bayonet requires thrusting several inches of your cold steel love-length through skin, muscle and organs, separating or breaking their ribs as you go. To do that you do need to have the intention of actually hurting the bugger in front of you, and accompany it with a reasonable amount of physical effort. I can't imagine how it's possible to do that by accident IRL unless you're dicking about on an extraordinary level.

Having the bayonet shouldn't turn your rifle into the Grim Reaper. There needs to be some level of control to the stabbing, or at least script it so it only works on enemy sides.

I like that your concept makes it important that you're facing the enemy and have a level of control over your muzzle; which is something that a fully automated system like our old one could not do; but that did ensure only the enemy got stabbed.

Surely you could tie the animation to an action, or even a button (ACE style), so that it only triggers when you want it to.

Having the bayonet shouldn't turn your rifle into the Grim Reaper. There needs to be some level of control to the stabbing, or at least script it so it only works on enemy sides.

I like that your concept makes it important that you're facing the enemy and have a level of control over your muzzle; which is something that a fully automated system like our old one could not do; but that did ensure only the enemy got stabbed.

So, what would happen if two people tried to stab each other at once? Epic bayonet fight, anyone?

Nah, they just repel 50ft away from each other like two bloodthirsty same-pole magnets.

One thing i missing in ArmA2 Game are some Knife Attack movements for close quarter comebats.

Could someone do this as an Addon for ArmA2??

For example an Knife Attack from behind to an enemy to knock him out!

That would be very cool for an SF Operation where you have to kill your enemy silently from behind !!

If anyone knows how to do that please tell me..:)

A bayonet would be better and more realistic than a knife. And, uh, a knife kill wouldn't really be all that silent. Knocking him out might work, I guess...

THEN kill him with the knife.

But seriously, if stealth is one of your primary concerns, then you should probably have a silenced weapon on you.

Noobs will start running around with knifes I think and this game is not stupid CS

And if someone's going to run around with just a knife, trying to get UBER KILLS, then they aren't going to play this game for very long anyway. I mean honestly, what's with everyone's fear of this game turning into CS/BF/COD4/Whatever? Adding a knife/bayonet isn't going to make everyone run around looking for knife kills.

Daniel;1424967']Nah' date=' they just repel 50ft away from each other like two bloodthirsty same-pole magnets.[/quote']

I've played with animated GEO lods, and it doesn't always happen like that.

I voted yes for both, however I do agree that there are many, many more things that the devs need to fix, and I mean NEED TO FIX before they spend time on knives. We have an entire BOOK on bugs that need to be fixed before they should work on adding in new stuff.

If you want bayonets , knives , tasers , tear gas etc. mod them in for yourself and anyone else that wants them.

I've seen what knives can do to ruin game play..you either have some "uber" player running around saying .. "how about a knife fight" or some dolt stabbing you and you never hear the end of it.

Happy without them...

As most engagements are made at long ranges... at least longer than knifes are useful for, I see no need for melee combat.

Same reason for why there's no CQB....

I would love bayonets. As long as it wasn't like a counter-strike "IM SO PRO" running around at high speed and killing everyone in one stab like a crazy person style of attack... The bayonets would have to be nice and realistic, so as not to spoil the gaming for tactical players.