Sign in to follow this  
Prydain

Bayonet/knife poll

Would you like to see a knife/bayonet be added to arma 2?  

493 members have voted

1. 1. Would you like to see a knife/bayonet be added to arma 2?

• Yes definitly i have encounters with AI where it could have saved my life
    • No it would work and knifes arent used for combat in real life
    • Yes but only a bayonet
    • No none of both

SLX mod's downfall though is the knife taking up a gear-slot which could be used for NVG's and a bino.

actually as a tradeoff you do have bino,s but it just doesnt show up in the gear-slot but the NVG,s do

Edited by oscar19681

Me and my friends play co-op missions against AI normally going into buildings close together so as soon as we go through the door the enemy can just gun all of us down easy. I would rather have flashbangs than bayonets - then you just throw in a flash and rush inside, killing everyone as you go. Bayonets wouldn't make much difference, you'd just get shot.

Knife is great for rp maps. Might also be used as a work around to make civs (Zombies) atack people. Flash bangs are good also but I would rather see tear gas more.

Me and my friends play co-op missions against AI normally going into buildings close together so as soon as we go through the door the enemy can just gun all of us down easy. I would rather have flashbangs than bayonets - then you just throw in a flash and rush inside, killing everyone as you go. Bayonets wouldn't make much difference, you'd just get shot.

If your intent is just to kill everybody why not use a normal grenade?

A grenade is used first (although they are diabolical in ArmA2 as is).

Can no one grasp how using an array of tools multiplies the effect? Nade in, bang, most dead. Move in, shoot whatever's left. Bayonets make a nice back up, can be used in such a close space so as not to risk hitting friendlies and generally scare the crap out of whoever's on the other end. They're more than a proven tool, I see no issues with employing them in ArmAII/OA.

A 12' Buck Knife would be sweet I would cut Coops head off everytime he said something retarded, like... "Lets squeeze a few off at the range PAT!" LOL

DIE COOPS!

I think a bayonet should be added, it would be great for buildings and if you run out of ammo and can't make it back to friendlies. If you where assaulting an area a bayonet would be very useful, you wouldn't have to reload right away and risk someone getting close and shooting you.

I'm running out of keys already. Keep in mind we're getting IR lasers, flashlights and if we're lucky thermal weapons sights, none of which I hope will be operated via action menu.

It would be nice to have a knife or bayonet but I think out of 1000 AI kills I make in ArmA 2, there would only be 1 or 2 bayonet kills. It's usually hard enough to kill AI's even with a decent rifle when their skill level is set to high but I have stumbled upon very incompetent players during my many Warfare sessions. Would be nice to kill them in an original way, so yes please!

I find it common when we play in VCB that whenever my section is assaulting I always end up in a situation where bayonets would be applicable and, in fact, would also be extremely useful.

It depends on how you play the game.

If you are a one man army then you won't need them. Although, I would never play alone because it is as boring as shit.

If you play in a group and use methods like sitting your entire group on a hill with any weapon and try to defeat an enemy with weight of fire alone then you also will not need them. Although, I would contest anyone who calls that fun...

If you play in a group like VOLCBAT then you will be manoeuvring a lot and each section will be changing roles in the platoon continuously to close in on and kill the enemy, you will then find yourself within bayonet range often enough to warrant the calls for a bayonet.

At risk of being accused of generalising, I would say the people who voted no don't know what they are missing.

I would like to throw in an additional example, from a different game which does feature bayonets and is quite useful.

This game is called Red Orchestra, based on the WW2 Eastern Front. In the late-war maps the Germans obviously get access to some Sturmgewehr 44's, one of the world's first 'modern' assault rifles.

Even when playing on those maps, having the option to use your bayonet never becomes useless.

Once you round a corner inside a building and run into a German carrying an STG, and you miss your rifle shot, you need that plan B.

Reloading simply takes to much time, as does trying to step back into cover. You have no choice other then close in and stab him.

And often it does not work, obviously. If the other guy has a fresh clip, your fresh out of luck.

However, if you scared him just enough to miss you, and you do get in for the kill, you will be thankful for your bayonet.

Bashing someone with the butt of your rifle might knock someone over and 'hurt' them, but when you are in combat you want to kill, not hurt.

SLX's knife is nice, but it has a limited range, whereas a bayonet can strike from a 'safer' distance and is generally preferable over a regular knife.

I think knifes and bayonets are comparable to the situation of the air war in vietnam. The USAF was so confident in there new missles that close combat or dogfighting was regarded as phased out and something used in WWII. So the f-4 phantoms were not equiped with cannons or vulcan 20 mm guns. The result? the vietnamese airforces started to use cannons and close combat to down the americans a tactic the USAF had no response to since they had no cannons for short range engagements . So what they did is put cannon pod on the wings of the f-4 ,s and other aircraft to "reinvent" dogfighting. What i,m trying so say is weapons such as cannons for aircraft or knifes and bayonets for infantry could be considered ancient and crude and old school it doesnt mean they still have a role in modern combat nontheless

Why bayonets should be implemented with (high) priority?

How many and how often US soldiers were really using bayonets in combat during the latest war? Does it make sense in modern combat if you can call support eg CAS, precision strike etc?

Time is changing and technology + warfare strategies & tactics.

Nothing against working tools eg. stun grenades, small explosives, ladders, wire cutter, multi-tool etc instead of a bayonet for those veryvery rare moments in Arma2 combat.

Damn you guys... Ok let me first say that I really understand that the REAL ARMY doesn't use flashlights, knives, they don't jump and they always carry 30 million pounds of equipment.

Ok? I know that. We all know that. My dog knows that.

But you have to stop using it as an excuse because... how can I say it. We don't ALL play missions where we are MODERN US REAL SOLDIERS following protocol!

In fact I can't even remember the last time I played a real soldier. My last mission was about 4 prisoners of war waking up in the middle of nowhere. They didn't carry 30 pounds of stuff, they didn't have anything to defend themselves with. Just a few guys trying to survive in a hostile Namalsk. It would be awesome if they could find, equip and use a knife just to bring down one guard in the nearby camp to steal his gun.

It's about choices rather that maintaining realism. That's the potential greatness of Arma 2. I want the choice to have a woman fighting in my group. A woman with high heels, fishnet underwear and a machinegun. Also a dog. A dog that attacks. And we all drive motorcycles and throw knifes because we are bad-ass like that!

You know what I am saying? Arma is too versatile to not allow us to play around with this. I say yes to knifes, bayonets, flashbang grenades, lighters (to set fire on stuff), teasers, cellphones, wire cutters, ropes or whatever even if the real army doesn't use them.

I am using them.

I mean I would if they were available and functional.

Master gamawa such additional game features like "hot" + "horny" are requested since OFP. :D

For sure if all default features would work perfectly out of the box BIS could implement 100+ or less. There are many bugs still left to fix and the A2 Community Issue Tracker shows lot of them too.

Question is: should this bayonet-request take priority or should BIS fix and improve default Arma2 features and stuff first?

Maybe in OA we will see more & proper animations and intense CQB fights with and without AI...

yeah of course. Bugfixing goes first.

But it would be nice to play with a knife as we are waiting for the new patch.

I'd rather just have a good old buttstroke, it's faster than fixing bayonets. And yes there have been up close and personal stabbings in the recent conflicts.

I'd rather just have a good old buttstroke, it's faster than fixing bayonets. And yes there have been up close and personal stabbings in the recent conflicts.

Bayonets are fixed prior to closing with the enemy. Hence the command "Fix swords/bayonets". There have certainly been plenty of up closing and personal bayonet stabbings in very recent (read: ongoing) conflicts. ;)

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/worldnews/asia/afghanistan/6178044/British-officer-wins-two-gallantry-awards-for-fending-off-Taliban-attack-with-bayonet.html

Yeah, I just meant when your weapon goes dry and you're already right in their faces.

A knife is always the best in combat. No matter how far into the future or what have you... knives are life savers. Both knives and bayonets would be great to have, I mean, if they were not of use in combat, why did they make nearly each and every model in the game (Combat mind you. US/RU mainly) having a knife? I know it isn't for show as to 'Oh! he has a knife on his chest/back! Ruuun!' lol it's for that encounter whereyou can't swing your rifle up in time! Quickly grab and -STAB-! The hostile who got the jump on you (Or he thought he did! :O) is dead! Even more so when in the flush forests of the maps where they can pop outa nowhere >_>; I'm been gunned down by walking up on a guy or two Hehe ^_^;

Oh! And those who voted 'No' to both... you're to cowardace to get up close and personally Imo >_> staying at long range with your rifles and stuff... >:O It's thrilling to have the 'THIS IS CRAZY BUT F--K IT!' XD

Edited by SigintArmA
Forgot to add!

i would much rather have functioning body armor before a knife/melee attack :p

also, you all seem to have the impression in your mind that the knife is some ultimate weapon (like other games, the instant kill). its not

its a 5-7inch long piece of sharpened steel. you can cut, slash and stab some one all day long and not get a solid hit in if they are facing off against you (especially if they are in body armor). the RV engine is just not suited to the fine finesse of melee combat, and any stop gap will be sorely lacking. unsatisfying, and unrealistic, like almost every other FPS game.

Edited by That guy