Sign in to follow this  
p75

Loading old vanilla Arma maps in Arma 2 with CAA1 - Just Wow - Performance & Beauty

Thales100 - whoa, which map is that? It didn't seem to be in the list that I had?

(note, will post a list of the maps that I've installed when I get home)

Edited by GunSlingerAUS

@kju: I tried to load PROPER plants from within the x\caa1 folder out of which I had removed the caa1_p_plants.pbo prior to that. The result was the same as before when I had the caa1 plants in the caa1 folder and did load a @PROPER_plants folder later in the command line: black boxy look of some trees.

Made a small vid of it:

Well, that black boxy look appears on all the Arma 1 islands, not just on that one. Also, I received the very same error report on game start as I did before when I had caa1_p_plants.pbo in it's folder and the @PROPER_plants folder got loaded afterwards

'Addon caa1_c_enablePorto requires addon caa1_p_plants'

hope that gives you an idea,

touristo

Great Thales!

Where are these files in bold?

arma2\x\oac\oac_core\addons\

â—¦.\arma2\x\oac\oac_core\addons\oac_core_DATE_TAG.pbo

â—¦And the bisign pair.

•.\arma2\x\oac\oac_core\keys\

•.\arma2\x\oac\oac_core\keys\oac_core_DATE_TAG.bikey

As far as I can see they do not exist on this server where the instructions

here http://dev-heaven.net/wiki/cbp-caa1/HowToDownloadReleases tell me

to get them: http://caa1.arma-creations.com/yas/caa1/x/oac/oac_core/

Searching for them on all search engines turns up nothing.

I'm getting the ofp compatibility error.

Edited by jblackrupert

@jblackrupert

DATE = datetag

Example:

http://caa1.arma-creations.com/yas/caa1/x/oac/oac_core/addons/oac_core_2009_07_27.pbo.7z

http://caa1.arma-creations.com/yas/caa1/x/oac/oac_core/addons/oac_core_2009_07_27.pbo.oac_core_2009_07_27.bisign.7z

If you load this along, it will work.

If not fill a bug report here and attach your rpt.

@ touristo

Do you mean the textures of vegetation or the shadow?

Basically you will have to wait for PROPER plants to be updated to A2. :)

@ andersson

W0lle and the CWR team are for sure very interested in your config tweaks.

@ GunSlingerAUS

Probably later today. Yet be sure to understand that the missions will need fixing and

tweaking for a2!

Getting this error

45607881.jpg

This where I put the files.

40497334.jpg

54129878.jpg

I'm using the Alpinestars launcher which scans the directories for mods and any changes.

After clicking OK on the error popup the game loads and Utes appears 6 times in the editor.

I'm pretty sure there is more to it then what the instructions say.

mods that don't have simple to use installers always have instructions are always unnecessarily confusing and complicated.

They are exactly where the instructions say to put them

43778880.jpg

Edited by jblackrupert

The launcher does not load the modfolder it seems.

Add it yourself to the custom paramters:

-mod=x\caa1;x\oac\oac_core

Still nothing.

I'll wait until they decide to make an installer without the song and dance routine

so common with mods that end up never being very popular or quickly die because

they're such a pain to working.

Note to modders: Keep is simple stupid.

Bill gates and Microsoft are rich because they understand that concept which the Linux crowd doesn't.

Lots of freeware installer programs you can use.

Thanks anyways. :)

Still nothing.

I'll wait until they decide to make an installer without the song and dance routine

so common with mods that end up never being very popular or quickly die because

they're such a pain to working.

Note to modders: Keep is simple stupid.

Bill gates and Microsoft are rich because they understand that concept which the Linux crowd doesn't.

Lots of freeware installer programs you can use.

Thanks anyways. :)

http://dev-heaven.net/wiki/cbp-caa1/HowToDownloadReleases

That page tell you everything you need to know. I can tell you this is one of the easiest "MODS" to get working because of clear installation instructions and that clever Yoma addon sync tool.

I've put all the associated addons plus the OAC all into here and it works-

C:\GAMES\ArmA 2\@CAA1\Addons\

I've put all the associated addons plus the OAC all into here and it works-

C:\GAMES\ArmA 2\@CAA1\Addons\

OAC should be in another own dir. It may conflict with other CAA1 files.

Like this C:\GAMES\ArmA 2\@OAC\OAC_CORE\Addons

Arma2 startup parameter should be like this. -mod=x\caa1;x\oac\oac_core

@ andersson

W0lle and the CWR team are for sure very interested in your config tweaks.

I got home late yesterday and I go away today for one more week so I cant really do anything right now.

When Im home again I will have a serious look as there were a few error messages.

I see a couple of ways to do this.

Probably easiest to make it dependent on oac and CAA1.

Then the question, make a bridge addon that fixes things or change the pbo's themself.

I would prefer to change the pbo's, but I have to talk to CWR about that first. Then make them dependent on CAA1 instead of the pbo's they came with to loose some weight.

Too bad Im going away as I really would like to do this now.. Very nice islands! Thank you CWR!

edit: most important is to see what CWR has to say as these islands are their babies.

Edited by andersson

@potatomassher

It won't conflict anymore than it will already with this loading - -mod=x\caa1;x\oac\oac_core

I fail to see the difference, I've got it all in 1 folder, you've got it in 2 and load all anyway. As i said it works for me and getting no errors.

It will not conflict, you can move them around as you seem fit. The only thing it will mess up is when you want to update using yomas tool.

I dont like that "x" folder to be honest. I want a @ infront of my modfolders and a name that tells me more what it is. Imagine modmakers naming their folders to "Y", "XYZ" and so on..

I have some friends that keep the original "X" and then copy the content into a modfolder named as they like it, then they update the "X" using yoma and copy paste again..

@potatomassher

It won't conflict anymore than it will already with this loading - -mod=x\caa1;x\oac\oac_core

I fail to see the difference, I've got it all in 1 folder, you've got it in 2 and load all anyway. As i said it works for me and getting no errors.

Well those are basicly two different mods. That's why they should be in different folders.

But if it works i guess it doesn't matter as long as they don't have same named files and you don't ever try to update OAC files with Yoma because it would put the files in it's own dir and not in CAA1 dir.

Ooops. Andersson was quick. :)

I've tried all the ways described in this thread and the links provided

oac in it's own folder..."x" and "@" folder....etc but nothing.

I've been through the whole mod routine with lots of lots of games

but no matter what, until theres a simple easy to use installer

all the greatness in the won't convince people to download

2 gigs of files and go through all that as simple as it appears

to experienced people.

Just the shortcut editing is enough to scare off people

added to an already complex game.

When modders put these things together they need

to sit back and look at the install process and instructions

they wrote from the perspective of the regular people.

This got lost in another thread so I'm posting it here again.

Well, Here is my set up for what its worth.

My ArmA2 installation is on my "D" drive so your drive letter may well be different.

I have two additional folders in my Arma2 directory, one is called "caa1" and the other is called "oac" the caa1 folder contains three folders, one called "addons", one called "docs", and one called "keys". These folders contain the files from the caa1 download site after they have been unzipped.

The "oac" folder contains a folder called "coa_core" this folder conatins two folders called "addons" and "keys" respectively.

The "addons" folder contains the two "oac" files from the caa1 download site and the "keys" folder contains the oac_core_2009_07_07.bikey file from the same place. Again these files were uzipped before they were placed into the folders. Please note that all these folder names are without the " in the name.

Finally the shortcut was created and the following path was inserted into the target line in properties.

Hope this helps someone.

"D:\Program files\Bohemia Interactive\ArmA 2\arma2.exe" -mod=caa1;oac\oac_core;

Just the shortcut editing is enough to scare off people

added to an already complex game.

Ubfortunately, with a game that is so flexible there comes complication. You can't get away from the fact that this series of games does require you to invest some time in learning how to do things if you wish to get the maximum out of it. You could write an installer for the mod, but until it is complete, the Yoma syncroniser gives people the chance to do the install/setup once then stay up to date with any changes/improvements/fixes at the click of a button.

Stick with it and post here for help and once you've got it working you can apply that knowledge to any other mod you want to install.

Thales100 - whoa, which map is that? It didn't seem to be in the list that I had?

(note, will post a list of the maps that I've installed when I get home)

Hey, two maps, Schmalfelden Extra Heavy Vegetation and Razani , i downloaded them from www.armaholic.com .

Great Thales!

Thanks p75, and thanks a lot for the headsup about this great CAA1. :yay:

So how do you actually play any of the missions in game? I can only see the maps in the editor. How do you get out of of the map screen the editor starts up with?

well, i finally got these to work (DLed them one by one :P ) and its really cool to see the old familiar ARMA1 maps in ARMA2 but lets not compare the quality of the 2 games.

no wonder the ARMA1 maps work better - they are really less detailed and look worse. the engine is updated and it's nice but the ARMA2 maps are much much better.

if the Chernarus was to work THAT smoothly it would have to look a lot worse and i wouldn't want to sacrifice it's visual fidelity.

thanks for bringing the CAA1 to our attention though!!

the engine is updated and it's nice but the ARMA2 maps are much much better.

Nah, dont agree, playing all very high, including AA, at high res. 5040x1050, the two custom maps i tested last night look as good as the Arma 2 maps (i posted some screenshots).

are these actually missions we can play or maps to use in the editor?

Yes, mate.