Sign in to follow this  
p75

Loading old vanilla Arma maps in Arma 2 with CAA1 - Just Wow - Performance & Beauty

Has any noticed the amazing performance (settings on all very high, view distance 5000 meters) when loading some old vanilla Arma map as Sharani into Arma 2 using CAA1?

It is just simply amazing, constant >60 fps and everything looks gorgeous, like Arma 1 should have looked. It really makes me feel that Cheranus is soo unoptimized, it is not an engine issue for sure.

Just thought I would share the love, it simply looks amazing, and the helicopters on Sharani do feel like helicopters, not like slow moving flying tanks as in Arma 2.

For now I prefer to play on Sharani than Cheranus, the map is overall more colorful (lighter) and feels alot better. If you want to have a peek at what Arma 2 will be when optimized by BIS, load Sharani using CAA1, you'll be amazed!

Grtz

I think if you'd compare the total object count and the average objects in sight count of Sahrani to Chernarus you'd get a partial reason for the performance increase. Chernarus is simply a lot more detailed.

Chernarus is simply a lot more detailed.

Yes, there is no miracle of course, but anyway some old maps look real good like Razani and Schmafelden.

Edited by thales100

so how do you get razani and Schmafelden in arma 2 ? i download them from armaholic now what ?

i have sahrani working btw

The same way you got sahrani working i think, simply create the appropriate mod folders, add to your main Arma 2 folder, and use a launcher or the shortcut method to add them to your game.

The same way you got sahrani working i think, simply create the appropriate mod folders, add to your main Arma 2 folder, and use a launcher or the shortcut method to add them to your game.

what are the appropriate mod folders ?

i just follwed exactly what the guide said word for word and it worked, didn't really understand exactly what i was doing...

do i just put them in the "x" folder ?

some kind of step by step guide for a retarded noob would be helpful :p

Unzip all the files related to Razani map in a folder and call it "Addons" (without the ""), then put this "Addons" in another folder, and call this one "@razani" (without the ""), do the same with Schmafelden files.

Now cut and paste the two folders @razani and @schmafelden into your main Arma 2 folder, i.e. C:\Program Files\Bohemia Interactive\ArmA 2 .

Then get a game launcher (makes really easy to manage the mods you wanna use) or add the following to your Arma 2 shortcut, by right clicking the shortcut, then choose "properties" and in the target box add this : -mod=@razani -mod=@schmafelden (behind "C:\Program Files\Bohemia Interactive\ArmA 2\arma2.exe" ), so youll have this:

"C:\Program Files\Bohemia Interactive\ArmA 2\arma2.exe" -mod=@razani -mod=@schmafelden

Unzip all the files related to Razani map in a folder and call it "Addons" (without the ""), then put this "Addons" in another folder, and call this one "@razani" (without the ""), do the same with Schmafelden files.

Now cut and paste the two folders @razani and @schmafelden into your main Arma 2 folder, i.e. C:\Program Files\Bohemia Interactive\ArmA 2 .

Then get a game launcher (makes really easy to manage the mods you wanna use) or add the following to your Arma 2 shortcut, by right clicking the shortcut, then choose "properties" and in the target box add this : -mod=@razani -mod=@schmafelden (behind "C:\Program Files\Bohemia Interactive\ArmA 2\arma2.exe" ), so youll have this:

thank you very much, will give it a try :cool:

You probaly should make just 1 mod folder for all the arma1 islands your adding just to keep it simple.

Also don't make a new shortcut, add the new modfolder in the shortcut for the CAA1 mod, pretty sure these maps won't work without it.

ie:

"C:\Program Files\Bohemia Interactive\ArmA 2\arma2.exe" -nosplash -mod=x\caa1;x\oac\oac_core;ModfoldernameYouChose

Does the CAA1 method fix the problem with Sahrani middle ground appearing blurry? Actually it seems the entire satellite image is very low res but this is when just importing the Sara map and other PBOs into an addon folder.

how do u take those types of screenshots ? surely you don't have a monitor capable of 5040x1050 ?

how do u take those types of screenshots ? surely you don't have a monitor capable of 5040x1050 ?

Matrox Triplehead2go, running 3 x 22" as one super wide monitor.

Matrox Triplehead2go, running 3 x 22" as one super wide monitor.

greedy !!! lol

lucky bastard :p

The Maps from ArmA1 work very good and well in ArmA2 and on OLD systems like mine.

P4 @3Ghz, 2Gb ram ddr400, ATI X1950 pro 512mb.

I think if you'd compare the total object count and the average objects in sight count of Sahrani to Chernarus you'd get a partial reason for the performance increase. Chernarus is simply a lot more detailed.

Arma 1 had objects drawn further in the distance.

And the Sahrani towns were much larger or atleast more dense, Paraiso, Ortego, Corazol.. i think the objects of Chernarus are not very well optimised (vegetation and buildings), you can tell some buildings have screwy lods and the animated building destruction surely cant be helping?

greedy !!! lol

lucky bastard :p

lol :p , one more, click to enlarge 5040x1050.

1948-arma2%202009-08-09%2009-30-01-222.jpg

Is it possible to get the ambient life and ambient civilians modules working in the added ArmA maps? Ive tried adding them but they dont seem to work for me on Sarahni etc.

Hi, i initially loaded Avghani_1.5 without using the method setout on this post.

Despite getting an error on start, the ground textures worked fine. However AFTER following the guide, and deleting out the configs and substituting them with the Updated OPX Config Files the ground textures are kindve messed up. as seen in this screenshot.

arma22009080923435481.jpg

Are the 'Updated OPX Config Files' officially done be opteryx ? The Afghan_village doesnt suffer from the same 'camouflage' textures.

does anyone know if they can fix the configs? http://dev-heaven.net/attachments/1450/CAA1_OPX_configs.7z

I dont know enough about whats happening here to fix hem myself sorry.

Also, kylania in your guide, you suggest to drop all files into the x:/caa1/addons folder. would this not be more ideal to put them seperately ? example x:/islands/addons . thanks for the guide on tweaking these islands.

I hope that the texture problems can be worked out.

Does the ARMA2 Ai recognize Sahrani's buildings, vegetation, objects, etc as objects to take cover?

I just this a try, works neat. But what's the difference Sahrani and united sahrani?

Hi,

They work great alright but somthing strange is happening.

On those islands (Arma 1) my video card fan gets completely crazy as soon as I load the map. Everything is fine, no lag at all but it's really scary. That does not happend on the original Arma 2 maps...Weird

cheers

I just this a try, works neat. But what's the difference Sahrani and united sahrani?

There are some new buildings and sites, but the major change is that there's a huge canyon appeared in United Sahrani right down the middle of the range that crosses the south-western peninsula, the area that Saralite is made of.

Got also kind of dark ground textures at afghani.

What are we waiting for at the moment ? That it will become an complete addon ?

Why nobody playing this =( I searched for a server and found one lonely password protected server running sahrani...

After finally downloading all stuff i gave it a try and partly old Sahrani and the other islands look stunning, especially the beaches with the bright blue transparent water, also the viewdistance seem to show lot more than it showed in A1 when set to the same values, looks very good.

Saddly i get the same prob i already had in my A1 install so Sahrani tends to bring my GPU ram to overflow so i have to use the -flush command all the time to clear GPU ram otherwise i get nice polygon spikes flicker everywhere.