Sign in to follow this  
max power

WIP: Stuff you are working on 2!

Same with me. It may take a bit more time, but I think the quality it produces in the long run outweighs the effort required. I've been messing around a bit with hard surface sculpting in zbrush, not the simplest of tasks, but the results are amazing. I would recommend trying it out if you haven't or don't already, its a good way to generate very detailed maps and add in the tiniest of details. I am for sure adding it to my workflow for inorganic models.

It's looking great by the way, can't wait to see how it turns out.

thats the thing, for vehicles, things like rivets and welds and all that small detail will look EXACTLY the same when done in PS.

Yeah I finished modeling the sight, but it still needs to be optimized and uv'd. I just hate uving but I will eventually get to it this week.

Ever heard of TexToolz? That is a very helpfull plugin for youuuuuveeeeee-ing ^^

I don't like uvw's either but since i have this tool it's not that bad anymore. Consider it as advanced puzzling ;)

No way i would ever do any hardsurface stuff in a sculpttool. Only texturing. Not sure if Zbrush allows subdividing via smoothing groups, that would make it a bit better, Mudbox doesn't...

Atm i'm "modelling" my vehicles with Autodesk Inventor.

Edited by Fennek

Ever heard of TexToolz? That is a very helpfull plugin for youuuuuveeeeee-ing ^^

I don't like uvw's either but since i have this tool it's not that bad anymore. Consider it as advanced puzzling ;)

No way i would ever do any hardsurface stuff in a sculpttool. Only texturing. Not sure if Zbrush allows subdividing via smoothing groups, that would make it a bit better, Mudbox doesn't...

yes textooz is a must have, used it since version 2.3 i think. As for modeling in inventor Im a bit skeptical. Parametric modelers like that usually don't transfer well into games, will not get good edge flows that are necessary.

Yeah I have textools, I have just become lazy, but I will bite the bullet and uv my eotech sight this week.....unless someone else wants to :D

Using masks makes it easier to do hard surface stuff in zbrush not to mention they added a bunch of hard surface tools in zbrush 3.5 I believe. I would never use it to hard surface model, more just for adding surface details to an already high poly model.

thats the thing, for vehicles, things like rivets and welds and all that small detail will look EXACTLY the same when done in PS.

True, but I am liking it because of ease of use and real-time results. Which I am sure is achievable by linking photoshop with max or something. I don't know I have just never been a fan of making them in PS.

Another WIP-update on the Swedish version of RG32M "Galten". Didn't get the time to finish the LOD1 this week, but still a bunch of updates :) Reaching 7683 faces so far.

galtwip2bis.jpg

galtwip1bis.jpg

galtwip3bis.jpg

Another WIP-update on the Swedish version of RG32M "Galten". Didn't get the time to finish the LOD1 this week, but still a bunch of updates :) Reaching 7683 faces so far.

I'm liking this, that thing is looking beastly.

Just messing around with a velcro texture I just made, doesn't feel "fluffy" enough but it's getting there. Next up some cordura and stiching.

10cm9lk.jpg

Also threw the mask on Binkowski's soldier model to see how it fits sitting at ~1.2k, just a basic texture, not sure what I want to do with it aside from an array of colors.

33lksw3.jpg

I'm thinking a big ol' bushy beard needs to be sculpted next.

drmidnight - or model HQ beard model :p

The modeling has begun, but sculpting will give it life.

How well does A2 handle transparency? its going to look funky if the edges cant blend out.

EDIT: Let the bearding commence. Sub 900 poly base mesh with some preliminary shaping and yes I know its floating, already fixed it.

fkmlxy.jpg

Edited by drmidnight

yes textooz is a must have, used it since version 2.3 i think. As for modeling in inventor Im a bit skeptical. Parametric modelers like that usually don't transfer well into games, will not get good edge flows that are necessary.

Yeah, it has it's disadvantages but it also has some advantages. Especially the feature if you change one dimension all geometry depending on it adjusts accordingly (if you did it right, can be a bit tricky sometimes) Sometimes i wish i could have a combination of inventor and max in one program^^

Edgeflow depends on what you are doing. A little bit retouching is necessary in some cases. I want a 1:1 of the real models i have, that would be a pain in the backside to get that right in max imo.

Just messing around with a velcro texture I just made, doesn't feel "fluffy" enough but it's getting there.

Add a bit volume (push it outwards) to the velcro, that should do it. Do you think that it will make an impact on ingame-appearance? it's a very small part of the over all texture i mean.

Edited by Fennek

Add a bit volume (push it outwards) to the velcro, that should do it. Do you think that it will make an impact on ingame-appearance? it's a very small part of the over all texture i mean.

I increased it's overall intensity and it does look a bit better, just need to keep it somewhat subdued otherwise it becomes far to sharp. Also I doubt it will be even remotely noticeable ingame, but I like adding all the little details for the normals anyways, including the stitching :p

Yeah, it has it's disadvantages but it also has some advantages. Especially the feature if you change one dimension all geometry depending on it adjusts accordingly (if you did it right, can be a bit tricky sometimes) Sometimes i wish i could have a combination of inventor and max in one program^^

You sort of can. It is called maya :)

Started adding some details to the texture. Ignore the arms, they're not done yet. :oops:

CrewmanS.jpg

Ensign Peterson always blinks when someone takes a holopic of him. He hates that!

Abs

Edited by Abs

Great work Abs. I am not a star trek fan but the dude looks great :)

@Abs, looking really good! Can't wait to use them! Infact surely the ARMA animation system would be brilliant for

Edited by STALKERGB

You sort of can. It is called maya

Sort of sounds like it it has disadvantages over inventor^^

Never tried maya, although i own it (autodesk education suite). Doubt it has the advantages of a CAD program and a "common" 3d modeller (max in this case)

Edit: the thread needs pictures...

No quality yet but quantity

upperarmorv1ueub.jpgrhinov1jczv.jpglrussv1yc3f.jpgchimerav1ug10.jpg

last picture, right, down -> "free hand made", the rest is all with inventor

Edited by Fennek

@Abs, looking really good! Can't wait to use them! Infact surely the ARMA animation system would be brilliant for

Thanks Nixo and Stalker. :)

Worst? That's one of my favourite scenes! :omg: Just kidding...it is pretty bad. I was thinking of making a "Ripped-shirt Kirk", but then decided against it! ;)

Abs

[edit: Hey, while I'm here, is anyone able to answer these questions for me? Any help would be grand.]

86668312.th.jpg

22360195.th.jpg

46065218.th.jpg

wirex.th.jpg

PUKF is still on pause for now but there is still some stuff being worked on , i thought i would show some progress on the Warrior , some detail still to add and uv and more work on the textures , .nohq and .smdi .

Hopefully get down to around 500 faces for the last Lod

Nice beard, despite the 'goo' look :p

I'd give the hair a bit more of a sharp look, but other than that I like it

What I'm currently working on, but the config really hates me.

arma2oa2010110116105651.th.jpg

Edited by Rabbity
Wrong picture.

Nice beard' date=' despite the 'goo' look :p

I'd give the hair a bit more of a sharp look, but other than that I like it[/quote']

Yeah I already scratched that and went back to the base for a fresh start, I couldnt get rid of the goo factor. I think I figured out a good way to do it, but only time will tell.

@Fennek. I know what your building, are they going to be in a mod or are they for something else?