Sign in to follow this  
max power

WIP: Stuff you are working on 2!

PUKF is still on pause for now but there is still some stuff being worked on , i thought i would show some progress on the Warrior , some detail still to add and uv and more work on the textures , .nohq and .smdi .

Hopefully get down to around 500 faces for the last Lod

Looks great, Orson! :)

Abs

You guys don't like goo beards!?

Damn I've been growin my bread wrong for years then. :(

Taking a different approach on my 5th go at this damn goo beard. Decided to rough in some bushiness before I take it up a level for some details. Guess I will see how it turns out, but I might start over again :rolleyes:

2z4l94n.jpg

@Fennek. I know what your building, are they going to be in a mod or are they for something else?

I want to model the basic stuff (selection of vehicles, infantry and handweapons for 2 opposing forces [chaos vs. imp] and some buildings like cathedral ruins and bunkers/trenches) first , which should take me a while, then i'll do the porting to whatever game is best suited for it. Arma II is atm the best suited imo, and i think it won't just drop dead like some other shortlivedmainstreamgames.

Unless Arma III is ready until then :D

@goobeard

I suppose you can use photoshop brushes in zbrush too?

I saw in a tutorial for mudbox how he used a brush that had lines/scratches (randomly) in one direction, then he switched on an option that your brush pattern follows your pulldirection. Don't find the vid anymore. It should be in one of the mudbox quickstart or groundup series

Trying to get a technique down, kind of getting there.

[imghttp://i56.tinypic.com/30254ic.jpg[/img]

A problem I can forsee for you is trying to colour each hair. I'm not hugely knowledgeable on sculpting hair, though. I, personally, would seek a texture or painting based solution first. I'm quite interested in how you do.

mmm gotta agree with max here, hair is one of those things that never looks quite right when sculpted. That being said I would do a test bake with what you have to try get an idea of the results you might get.

I'll give baking it out now a try. I have looked at quite a lot of sculpted beards in zbrush to gauge some techniques and I am beginning to think less details and more subtle layering gives a better look so I may trash it once again and start fresh.

As for texturing it, I will probably just use polypaint in zbrush and bake out the materials.

EDIT: Here's how it looks in max with the low poly and normals. Might just leave it as is and work on texturing it since it doesn't look half bad

2h6hvmp.jpg

Messing around a bit with polypaint. Time to sleep.

wki6np.jpg

Edited by drmidnight

I'll give baking it out now a try. I have looked at quite a lot of sculpted beards in zbrush to gauge some techniques and I am beginning to think less details and more subtle layering gives a better look so I may trash it once again and start fresh.

As for texturing it, I will probably just use polypaint in zbrush and bake out the materials.

EDIT: Here's how it looks in max with the low poly and normals. Might just leave it as is and work on texturing it since it doesn't look half bad

Messing around a bit with polypaint. Time to sleep.

It looks awsome. I wish I had a beard like that :)

Looks great so far , hard to get away from the sculpted clay look in zbrush i guess ? The general shape looks good , maybe a little neat ? Pictures of operators beards i have seen are a bit more wild , like Oddball from kellys heroes . Might just be a case of bring it over the lips some more ?

Bit more info on the Warrior .

Couple more pics without the Wrap2 and bar , still to add things like the drivers thermal camera and other small bits like handles etc , the Lods are about 80% finished , main one left to finish modeling is the cargo interior .

48674272.th.jpg

70906840.th.jpg

Looks great so far , hard to get away from the sculpted clay look in zbrush i guess ? The general shape looks good , maybe a little neat ? Pictures of operators beards i have seen are a bit more wild , like Oddball from kellys heroes . Might just be a case of bring it over the lips some more ?

Bit more info on the Warrior .

Couple more pics without the Wrap2 and bar , still to add things like the drivers thermal camera and other small bits like handles etc , the Lods are about 80% finished , main one left to finish modeling is the cargo interior .

I know what you mean about the wild look. I'll give messing it up a bit a try, the low poly looks a little messier than the high poly but it could also do with a little more roughing up.

That Warrior is looking fantastic by the way.

EDIT: Taking a break from the beard to finish up some pouches. The components for some units I am hoping to make are slowly coming together. Only two more pouches to go and then the plate carrier and a backpack. And possible a new shemagh since I am not really a fan of the current ones.

Just a general utility pouch. Base is only ~375 points. It's thicker than it looks, zbrush's default fov isnt the best.

fkqw5k.jpg

M4 pouch, two more variations of the wrinkles to go. Base is ~700 points with the mags.

flhr4k.jpg

Edited by drmidnight

Phaser in-game. Just have a few minor issues to fix before it's fully completed.

- Cartridge ejection sounds are heard.

- Try to get rid of the smoke particle effects

- Add shadow to handgun/remove it from the muzzleflash.

GeBAaVEHCmQ

I...uh...don't have great aim.

Abs

really don't want to compete with 2009 quality production;

Ah, it's overrated. PLUS, seeing this footage makes you think it's a bloody miracle that they actually made this movie at all!

I'll send you betas of what I do as I get them in-game and working.

Greatly appreciated! many thanks!

Hahah...you're such a geek! It's cool...so am I. ;)

Hmm... at first I wanted to deny this...but then I realised what T-shirt I'm wearing this very moment :P

SG1L4456.jpg

:D

----

oops, just saw your post above

Looks great; :)

Just wonder what's the discharge rate of a phaser... Looks kinda odd to take down a whole bunch of people with just holdin' the trigger...Wonder if it wouldn't built up an overload when fired so long..

Dunno how it's with you, but I relly liked what they did to the phasers in the Enterprise series; short, controlled, rapid bursts (I'm sure you know what I'm talking about)

Edited by topas

Hmm... at first I wanted to deny this...but then I realised what T-shirt I'm wearing this very moment :P

Bwahahaha! Nice t-shirt! :D

PS: Check your inbox. You've got a PM.

Bwahahaha!

Pleas no Bwahahaha!'s here... It's a unique geek Tshirt I made myself back in... damn, can't remember...But it's at least 10 yrs old for sure :p

PS: Cheers on the PM! Now, where's the stun setting... oops!

Edited by topas

Pleas no Bwahahaha!'s here... It's a unique geek Tshirt I made myself back in... damn, can't remember...But it's at least 10 yrs old for sure :p

Not laughing at you, mate. I'm laughing out loud cuz of the joy I got from seeing you 'live' it! :D Seriously, it's awesome!

Abs

Yeah, I got it, was just a bit sarcastic and self-critic ;)

a TV-show is just what it is; a good entertainment

Been always buffled by all those guys building James T. Kirk's chair in their garage, or attending conventions fully uniformed... to quote someone's line: "Get a life poeple, will ya"

PS:

If you'd be needing any help with that bridge set of yours, feel free to let me know, have some expertise in that area, I think

(oh, and this too)

Another pouch basically done, just need to get it back into max to model in the strap that holds the radio down and then the headset cord once I get the plate carrier done.

5u4lqf.jpg

EDIT: All the pouches so far, ignore the scale just threw them all together as a test. Low poly sits at ~4.5k points and I can probably shave it down to 2-3k maybe lower. Hoping to keep the whole chest rig with pouches under 4k so I have some optimizing to do

2r6zbwp.jpg

Only the plate carrier, backpack, possibly a pistol holster and mag pouches, and various little baubles to go.

Edited by drmidnight

to quote someone's line: "Get a life poeple, will ya"

PS:

If you'd be needing any help with that bridge set of yours, feel free to let me know, have some expertise in that area, I think

(oh, and this too)

I think it was William Shatner, in some sort of parody. The fact that I know that is embarrassing to me. :D

Thanks for the offer. I am definitely going to take you up on it, though it will be some time before I get there. First things first, I plan on finishing this, a redshirt, and the shuttle and then relasing them as a bit of a tech-demo.

PS: Cheers on the PM! Now, where's the stun setting... oops!

Let me look into that! As for the fire rate and other questions, I kinda threw any values in there for now...sustained fire will actually take out tracked vehicles right now (probably not unusual for technology from 300 years in the future)...but I'll refine it soon.

Abs

Edited by Abs

time to cut some stuff. I'm going to ditch the front pockets and just make it full molle and probably hang a utility pouch on the bottom instead.

257ep77.jpg

Edited by drmidnight

Phaser in-game. Just have a few minor issues to fix before it's fully completed.

- Cartridge ejection sounds are heard.

- Try to get rid of the smoke particle effects

- Add shadow to handgun/remove it from the muzzleflash.

I...uh...don't have great aim.

Abs

Looks way too overpowered.

Looks way too overpowered.

It is right now. Mind you, it is also a weapon that is meant to 'merely stun a target or completely disintegrate it'...so I'm not quite sure where I want to put its strength in terms of gameplay yet.

Abs

Not laughing at you, mate. I'm laughing out loud cuz of the joy I got from seeing you 'live' it! :D Seriously, it's awesome!

Abs

* takes a step forward ..... I too, am a Trecky (classic Kirk and Picard FPDR ... you can keep Janeway :beam: )

Love the Shuttle and stuff Abs , Topas the bridge looks mint

also @ DrMidnight - that gear is going to be quite trick , already looks nice in raw form .

Ah, it's overrated.

Actually its quite good the only problem is that they need to switch some ships and uniforms and need to call it Mass Effect the movie and it would fir perfect.

Even the lensflares are constantly there.

Oh, and make yourself a new shirt in pink now that the little one is there ;)

that's some good looking stuff there drmidnight. i like it.

and soon we'll have it textured :)

anyway trying out new fabric textures, not sure what's better

O68A9.png

this isn't really strong enough though..

O6iyJ.png

ones taken from that ucp swatch.