Sign in to follow this  
max power

WIP: Stuff you are working on 2!

I know the screenshot looks familiar

:yay: the away team has landed! Wonder how many ways of killing red-shirts will Arma offer, can't wait :D

Only 30mins left i guess for the LP

rend3_s.png

click for bigger

xQEgA.png

xQGLJ.png

some of my early attempts into pants.. Oh god. sculpting is fun , until you make a bad turn and then realize you have to go back so far just to undo it..

I go for the phaser ;)

Good eye. ;)

:yay: the away team has landed! Wonder how many ways of killing red-shirts will Arma offer, can't wait :D

Did someone say red-shirts?

redshirt.jpg

They are still WAYYYY off. I redid the chest of the arma2 example model, and have to come up with normals for it, which is something I've never done before in my life. It's going to take a while for me to learn.

On the other hand, offers of assistance are always accepted! [/shameless help request]

Abs

some of my early attempts into pants.. Oh god. sculpting is fun ' date=' until you make a bad turn and then realize you have to go back so far just to undo it..[/quote']

I know exactly what you mean. I get all caught up in it and then see that something doesn't look right and have to completely undo everything to fix it.

I take it you are using mudbox? how does it compare to zbrush if you have used it?

Mudbox has a nicer work screen to me. It retains quality when zooming in , and has nice shading to work with. I like the tools as well .. I did all of that with the knife tool. It's simple but you can do much with it.

Mudbox has a nicer work screen to me. It retains quality when zooming in ' date=' and has nice shading to work with. I like the tools as well .. I did all of that with the knife tool. It's simple but you can do much with it.[/quote']

I might have to give it a try. One thing I hate about zbrush is how complicated it is to perform even the simplest of things, not to mention the ui is pretty overwhelming.

Are the camera controls the same as 3ds max?

Just test fitting before I add a little more detail.

jrtkqp.jpg

ephxtl.jpg

35j9e1w.jpg

2hwicfn.jpg

Can't answer that, I've really only used Modo as a main modeling program.

Looks great , can't wait to see it textured and normal'd

Can't answer that' date=' I've really only used Modo as a main modeling program.

Looks great , can't wait to see it textured and normal'd[/quote']

Thanks, I am hoping to finish it all up today. As for getting it in game I have no idea, I'll cross that bridge when I get to it :p

Abs;

That crewman looks great!

Will you go for the 60's look of the uniform (classic, but.. booooring) or the 'enhanced' one from the 2009 movie?

example1 example2

Normals are fairly easy to do!

I always thought they're not; until I tried.

If you already have a texture, with rucks visible you just need to desaturate it and modify -> bright areas = convex / dark parts = concave.

If you need help; feel free to PM me.

Would be glad to contribute

Live long and prosper;)

Think I am done with all of the sculpting, added a couple more wrinkles around the back and some around the ears, the rest was left unchanged.

Currently testing out different fabric textures, ignore the seams just a test and the fleece one hasn't been made tileable.

I am thinking about going with the fleece, but would love some input or even some suggestions of materials.

Kind of sweatpants like

28ivolh.jpg

Fleece

xgmqso.jpg

Abs;

That crewman looks great!

Will you go for the 60's look of the uniform (classic, but.. booooring) or the 'enhanced' one from the 2009 movie?

example1 example2

Normals are fairly easy to do!

I always thought they're not; until I tried.

If you already have a texture, with rucks visible you just need to desaturate it and modify -> bright areas = convex / dark parts = concave.

If you need help; feel free to PM me.

Would be glad to contribute

Thanks for the offer, and the tips, Topas. :)

The look I'm going for is the boring 60's look, sorry mate. :) The main reason for that is because they're simpler to do, and I don't want this project to take years and years to complete. Plus, right now my skills are kinda limited and I really don't want to compete with 2009 quality production; recreating the 60s is a lot easier! The good thing, based on the photos you've shown me, is that all it would take is a simple retexture of the units to make them into the movie style characters.

Since you're so enthusiastic about this project (almost as much as I am, apparently :D) I'll send you betas of what I do as I get them in-game and working.

Live long and prosper;)

Hahah...you're such a geek! It's cool...so am I. ;)

Abs

http://s1.postimage.org/xQEgA.png

http://s1.postimage.org/xQGLJ.png

some of my early attempts into pants.. Oh god. sculpting is fun ' date=' until you make a bad turn and then realize you have to go back so far just to undo it..[/quote']

Looks like mudbox. That's what layers are for ;) They are really awesome, in my model i have a layer that adjusts the pant to the armor and if i don't need it i can just turn it of.

Also - you can overdo it with the strength of your editing tool, because you can reduce the %, like with photoshop layers. Really nice for experimenting.

Only pretty bad if you paint on the wrong layer or even on the basemesh without noticing... been there, done that :o

What i did for trying to get the wrinkles right -> i dressed myself in army clothings :D Definitely the best way to see how they "work"

I take it you are using mudbox? how does it compare to zbrush if you have used it?

Didn't try zbrush, but i'd say for the "basic" stuff we do they should be equal.

What i like about mudbox is that you can paint directly on a texture (means you don't need a highpoly model to texture) and can switch constantly to photoshop back and forward if you need it.

So you can even import your tank and texture it with mudbox :chef: (don't try to subdivide it tho ^^)

Edited by Fennek

Looks like mudbox.

Installing mudbox now. I know zbrush has the same function with texturing by using applink with photoshop. The learning curve in zbrush is far too steep and is making my usual self-taught approach nearly impossible. Not to mention it has crashed on me multiple times when subdividing.

Are the uv tools as easy as zbrush? uvmaster is the most magical insta-uv plugin I haver ever seen.

EDIT: Basically all done in zbrush. Uv'd, Displacement map and normal all done, and also a basic texture. Screenshots of the lowpoly mesh with everything applied. Smoothing will be fixed once I get it into max. Currently ~2.2k polys.

Also tried mudbox and I think I will stick with zbrush since I have already learned most of what I need.

2mydbi8.jpg

2rp38d4.jpg

214bbzd.jpg

2n9ckdt.jpg

Texture detail

2rwn8l4.jpg

Edited by drmidnight

I can say the LP mesh is done. 18k faces.

i'll soon start the HP, and in paralel the UV mapping.

rend4_s.pngrend5_s.png

click img for larger

They are still WAYYYY off. I redid the chest of the arma2 example model, and have to come up with normals for it, which is something I've never done before in my life. It's going to take a while for me to learn.

On the other hand, offers of assistance are always accepted! [/shameless help request]

It depends if you want to create your normal map via a 2d program or plugin (PS, Gimp, CrazyBump, nDO etc), or baking a HP model into the LP model via a 3d software (any modelling software, xnormals etc)

It is not hard at all, you just need to pay attention to some stuff, no matter what method you choose to do. Feel free to PM me, or contact me on skype (just click the button bellow my avatar).

I might have to give it a try. One thing I hate about zbrush is how complicated it is to perform even the simplest of things, not to mention the ui is pretty overwhelming.

Are the camera controls the same as 3ds max?

Mudbox:

You can choose which sort of controls you want on start (max, maya, XSI, motionbuilder)

Zbrush is better overall than mudbox (more functions, a lot more diverse in terms of brushes...I found it better to work with, although the UI is anything but simple to get used to).

Edited by PuFu

Pufu - great work on it :)

drmidnight - nice work too , btw have you done the Eotech GL sight?

Yeah I finished modeling the sight, but it still needs to be optimized and uv'd. I just hate uving but I will eventually get to it this week.

[imghttp://s1.postimage.org/xQEgA.png[/img]

[imghttp://s1.postimage.org/xQGLJ.png[/img]

Definitely use references very closely when you're sculpting something like that.

@pufu

awesome model dude, some detail pointers:

1) add "cateyes" which are the gree marking lights in on the front plate. See middle bottom of this pic: http://www.btvt.narod.ru/5/bmpt/bmpt6.jpg

2) maybe add a little more detail on the assplate: http://www.btvt.narod.ru/5/bmpt/bmpt4.jpg After all its the area most people end up staring at the most :)

If you are worried about the poly count, remember that its the vertex count that will get you into trouble. Also if its not alot, things can be added via proxy. Imho BIS uses that method on a few models. Ive also used it extensively.

Also a note on highpoly. After extensive testing Ive come to the conclusion that for large scale hard surface models where detail is very small, that drawing the normals in PS is 10 times quicker while produces the same results. I would save the HP modeling for organics, fabrics and weapons where relative scale of the detail is large. Thats just my opinion.

Edited by Soul_Assassin

cheers will do.

i'll see about the normals, but i usually prefer to model as much as i can.

cheers will do.

i'll see about the normals, but i usually prefer to model as much as i can.

Same with me. It may take a bit more time, but I think the quality it produces in the long run outweighs the effort required. I've been messing around a bit with hard surface sculpting in zbrush, not the simplest of tasks, but the results are amazing. I would recommend trying it out if you haven't or don't already, its a good way to generate very detailed maps and add in the tiniest of details. I am for sure adding it to my workflow for inorganic models.

It's looking great by the way, can't wait to see how it turns out.