gimpymoo

ARMA2 & OA's Steam Thread: All Steam Q's/discussions go here [covered by Dwarden]

This thread almost got lost...:P

Any update on the questions Placebo? Thx for taking the time to try and find out.

Is there any chance that you may allow Retail serial keys to be activated on STEAM?

I have no idea how much this would cost you in terms of Valves fees but if the publisher is worried about losing retail sales, it would help reduce lost "retail" sales for those who prefer STEAM.

I am not 100% positive but I believe this is possible using the activate a product on Steam button on the bottom of your steam browser.

As anyone who bought Empire Total War through Steam knows--a buggy game requiring many patches (E:TW, ARMA1, ARMA2, for example- nothing personal..) will cause many a nutroll on Steam. Steam doesn't let you choose your running version, or which patch you want- it simply updates to the most "up to date" patch. So if non-steam using mod makers release things that only work on specific patches, or if a patch "breaks" the game, then the steam-community will be screwed, until a hotfix comes in (days, weeks, months) or they reinstall (annoying).

So if we have any similar issues as in ARMA1 with 8 different beta and non-beta patches running around the community will split up badly, and if you're a steam user you'll spend half of your life re-downloading the game and trying to prevent it from updating past where you want it to...

BIS it would be nice to know that you're keenly aware of Steam's shortcomings, and what you're doing to make things go smoothly. Can Steams patching system be disabled and BIS only be allowed to patch the game through their own distribution? I think that would be the best choice...

This may seem like it isn't a big deal, but with Empire: TW, each patch has made the game COMPLETELY unplayable for a whole new set of people while fixing it for others. Myself for example couldn't run the base game, could run patch 1, couldn't run 2, can run the most recent with annoying bugs, and these patches were all a month apart... If I could CHOOSE which patch I wanted it wouldn't be as much of an issue, but even if you turn off Steam's auto-download it will turn itself back on sometimes and update you completely without you knowing.

Do I buy Arma2 on steam when its more expensive than the retail version, and if I bought it on steam would I be able to play multiplayer with someone who has bought it at retail?

This thread almost got lost...:P

Any update on the questions Placebo? Thx for taking the time to try and find out.

Pretty sure it wasn't me who offered to come up with the answers? Blame Dwarden for that ;)

As anyone who bought Empire Total War through Steam knows--a buggy game requiring many patches (E:TW, ARMA1, ARMA2, for example- nothing personal..) will cause many a nutroll on Steam. Steam doesn't let you choose your running version, or which patch you want- it simply updates to the most "up to date" patch. So if non-steam using mod makers release things that only work on specific patches, or if a patch "breaks" the game, then the steam-community will be screwed, until a hotfix comes in (days, weeks, months) or they reinstall (annoying).

So if we have any similar issues as in ARMA1 with 8 different beta and non-beta patches running around the community will split up badly, and if you're a steam user you'll spend half of your life re-downloading the game and trying to prevent it from updating past where you want it to...

BIS it would be nice to know that you're keenly aware of Steam's shortcomings, and what you're doing to make things go smoothly. Can Steams patching system be disabled and BIS only be allowed to patch the game through their own distribution? I think that would be the best choice...

This may seem like it isn't a big deal, but with Empire: TW, each patch has made the game COMPLETELY unplayable for a whole new set of people while fixing it for others. Myself for example couldn't run the base game, could run patch 1, couldn't run 2, can run the most recent with annoying bugs, and these patches were all a month apart... If I could CHOOSE which patch I wanted it wouldn't be as much of an issue, but even if you turn off Steam's auto-download it will turn itself back on sometimes and update you completely without you knowing.

FYI: Once you download the game and install it with Steam, you don't even have to use Steam to launch the game. It will function just like the retail version. Meaning you can have as many "versions" as you need with all the different command line switches. At least this was how ArmA worked on Steam. Some gameas require Steam to play, for others Steam is just simply a distribution channel. After that Steam is no longer necessary.

Pretty sure it wasn't me who offered to come up with the answers? Blame Dwarden for that ;)

OOPS! :o So Dwarden....;)

well i cancelled my order at steam to buy it cheaper and an earlier release. usually i go for steam

Then what stops you from installing the game on 50 different computers? And how does it not stop you from reinstalling 50 times on your own computer?

Usually Steam is used as a protection system. Instead of inserting a disc into the drive you have to be logged in in steam with an account that has the game. With ArmA1 that is not used. (disc check was also disabled in arma with one of the patches).

WIth ArmA2 i guess the steam protection WILL be used. It won't stop you from installing the game on 100 computers. But you won't be able to play online from all of them at the same time.

And you will be able to install whatever patch or mod you like.

You don't need steam (or securom or any DRM) to prevent one from playing a game online with the same CD-key from more than one computer... If the steam version has practically no DRM (for offline), what is the point of the DRM of the non-steam version?

ArmA1 doesn't update via Steam, and thus, no patching issues. I dunno if the same will be for ArmA2, but I hope it is as it makes things much easier for the community as not all groups go with the newest patches right away. Of course you can always tell Steam via update settings not to update a particular game. Dunno if it'll try to force an update on you if you try to run the game though.

Edit: Additionally as someone before me mentioned, ArmA1/2 should be able to be ran without Steam running, it is very much so for ArmA1, so running different patches and different mods like in ArmA1 via Steam should be possible without hassle in ArmA2.

Edited by Steakslim

there is a option in steam that you can choose if you want to have the selected game always up to date or not.

So you can shut off the auto updater in steam actually :)

Save yourself from the future problems that Steam can create.

Preorder with play or amazon or your reliable game shop.

Or go get it on release date from your local game shop.

Believe me, a DVD in hand is sooooo much better than relying on any download system.

I have a question. If I buy the boxed version from Newegg, will I still be able to use the "Shift+Tab" overlay if I register it to Steam? Because, really, that's the only reason I would get the Steam version, but it's quite a big one. It's extremely useful when talking to friends or trying to set up an online game.

Ok quick question about Downloading off of steam will future mods/addons be a problem? i know this isnt a steam game but the config will be different for the mods ? sorry i didnt read through the first 17 pages lol

No, once the game is downloaded and installed via Steam, it should behave just as a typical retail version would. Meaning you can launch the game with or without Steam if you chose to do so. How it behaves if you launch the game through Steam is unknown at the moment. Also if may or may not support Steam Overlay. Hopefully Dwarden is working on getting some things cleared up with the Steam version.

answer coming ... when ready :), some questions still needs to be cleared up

Edited by Dwarden

Hello, Im using my own launcher for Armed Assault, I decide post it for free use for ever1, I will update the program for Arma and Arma2 in same launcher, now I see Arma2 is going available for Steam, my question is, how will engage steam version of Arma 2?, is requiered start Steam before? how can I set params lines for launch Arma2 using steam plugins, windows, intro, server connect etc.?? suggestions??

Tnanks

Unfortunaly, you need to first start Steam before launching any game from it, but you can set launch options in it for every game.

It's possible to do classic "classic" shortcuts with Steam but they link to steam launcher with an application number, so i don't know if launch options work on those ..

US fellows which own Atari release of Arma on Steam may be more help than me.

Edited by dunedain

In my experience sometimes you do sometimes you don't. You don't for ArmA 1 or Fallout 3 for Steam I do know. Hopefully it'll be the same as ArmA 1. Lemme test some of the other non-Valve games I've got on Steam to see if they do the same. It may be virtually all other than the Valve made/Steam exclusive ones.

EDIT: Well, Fallout 3 and ArmA start without Steam running, but Unreal Tournament 3, Lost Planet and Splinter Cell Double Agent won't. I started up Steam and UT3 ran from the .exe, not going through Steam though. I bet everything will work fine, though you may have to have Steam running.

Oh, and you can set up startup parameters through Steam with ArmA 1 fine.

Edited by LT. Razgriz

Depending on how much ArmA2 is integrated with Steam, it may be possible to replace ArmA2's executable file with one from a non-steam patch, to separate it from Steam. I have done this with UT2k4.

It's actually really simple and I'm sure ArmA II is going to work this way:

Simply execute steam.exe with the following command line parameters:

steam.exe -applaunch %id %c

Where %id represents the application ID Steam will assign to Arma II (you will have to wait for ArmA II to be released on Steam before you will be able to get hold of it)

%c represents any command line parameters you want to pass on to ArmA itself.

It's actually really simple and I'm sure ArmA II is going to work this way:

Simply execute steam.exe with the following command line parameters:

steam.exe -applaunch %id %c

Where %id represents the application ID Steam will assign to Arma II (you will have to wait for ArmA II to be released on Steam before you will be able to get hold of it)

%c represents any command line parameters you want to pass on to ArmA itself.

The steam ID for the games is the same global ID for every users or is for you local instalation?? ...

Ok i have to wait for release and test, I have few non valve games on steam, I can make a shortcut for start steam and the steam game, some of games allow params commands on that shortcut and some others not, I really hope this work, the launchers with params is really necesary for misions editors and addons makers

I leave some screenshots of old version, in new version you can include servers for instant connect and the launch pad will show if is online and the ping rate

Main window, you can modify all profiles presets on the fly just clicking for select or unselect on every one before engage

Guide-how-do-07.gif

Profiles manager

Guide-how-do-06.gif

Addons manager

Guide-how-do-05.gif

Edited by Blakord

Your launcher is looking good Blakord.

As far as I'm aware each Steam ID is assigned to a specific game and is unique to that particular game. In other words the same Steam ID will work on every computer and you don't have to worry about different Steam ID's for Arma II. If ArmA's steam ID turns out to be 4321, then it will be 4321 on every single computer.

*edit*

You can find the Steam AppID's for various games and demo's here:

https://support.steampowered.com/kb_article.php?ref=3729-WFJZ-4175#games

But as expected Arma II is not on that list yet.

Edited by ta.maximus