gimpymoo

ARMA2 & OA's Steam Thread: All Steam Q's/discussions go here [covered by Dwarden]

Unfortunaly, you need to first start Steam before launching any game from it, but you can set launch options in it for every game.

It's possible to do classic "classic" shortcuts with Steam but they link to steam launcher with an application number, so i don't know if launch options work on those ..

US fellows which own Atari release of Arma on Steam may be more help than me.

Incorrect, well sort of. Most 3rd party games can be ran without the need to start Steam. I can prove this right now with both ArmA1 and CoD4 which I have through Steam. There are some games that work like you mention with the application number, but from my experience (or luck) only a few of them operate in such a way, Crysis/Warhead/Wars are the only exception so far I've encountered, as they need to run Steam before lauching the game, probably due to Crytek taking advantage of one of Steam's services for the game, of which I do not know.

Edited by Steakslim

In my experience sometimes you do sometimes you don't. You don't for ArmA 1 or Fallout 3 for Steam I do know. Hopefully it'll be the same as ArmA 1. Lemme test some of the other non-Valve games I've got on Steam to see if they do the same. It may be virtually all other than the Valve made/Steam exclusive ones.

EDIT: Well, Fallout 3 and ArmA start without Steam running, but Unreal Tournament 3, Lost Planet and Splinter Cell Double Agent won't. I started up Steam and UT3 ran from the .exe, not going through Steam though. I bet everything will work fine, though you may have to have Steam running.

Oh, and you can set up startup parameters through Steam with ArmA 1 fine.

For Arma, can you still press "Shift+Tab" and open the Steam Overlay? It makes opening my friends list and chatting much easier.

For Arma, can you still press "Shift+Tab" and open the Steam Overlay? It makes opening my friends list and chatting much easier.

If you start up through Steam, you can. If you start up through Steam with a shortcut to another .exe, or a shortcut to the arma.exe you can. If you don't you can't of course though. I actually have ArmA running through a shortcut to arma.exe so I can have a seperate shortcut for ACE/beta patch or no ACE/beta etc.

I read the steam version wont have SecuROM does the reatail copy have a limit on installs?

I have a question. If I buy the boxed version from Newegg, will I still be able to use the "Shift+Tab" overlay if I register it to Steam? Because, really, that's the only reason I would get the Steam version, but it's quite a big one. It's extremely useful when talking to friends or trying to set up an online game.

Yes even If the game is not bought off steam you can use the overlay if you want to in any game. (I've not came across a game which I've had problems with the overlay)

Just open steam > Go to games tab > Click add non-steam game > Add the game (executable) you want to use. :cool:

:bounce3:

Edited by _Cappa

Save yourself from the future problems that Steam can create.

Preorder with play or amazon or your reliable game shop.

Or go get it on release date from your local game shop.

Believe me, a DVD in hand is sooooo much better than relying on any download system.

you probably never used steam.

Recently, I dont even buy a game if it is not on steam. the convenience factor is huge. I cant stand messing with DVDs

One bad thing about Steam purchased games is:

you can't resell it someone else once its bought into your steam account.

Games that use their CD-keys online can't be resold anyway, unless the person you sell it to trusts you to not use his cd-key and/or re-sell it.

So do you guys think mods will work with the Steam version?

Time will tell. I rather risk issues with Steam than the issues Securom can cause to your pc

So do you guys think mods will work with the Steam version?

....Have you not used steam before? :eek:

Can you use beta patches with steam?

If that's not the case, It'd be a reason not to buy a steam version of Arma II.

Depends what kind of internet connection you have really. Many people in North America have 10M+ connections these days. 8 gigs is nothing to sweat about. ;)

Ha, that's funny. I live near a large city and can only get 1/2 meg download speed, at best (DSL). I've begged the phone company to upgrade the lines in my area for the past 12 years and they won't. Even the cable company refuses to run lines to my area.

Downloading ANYTHING is painful at home, meanwhile a mere 10 miles away, I have a 16 meg connection at work so I'm dragging my home computer to work just to get the Steam version loaded.

Can you use beta patches with steam?

If that's not the case, It'd be a reason not to buy a steam version of Arma II.

ARMA1 it wasnt a issue. Steam is just way to download it, its not a Steam game. It goes into the common folder in your Steam directory, and you can install into that, mods beta patches ect

....Have you not used steam before? :eek:

Yes I have, thats why I ask. Some games from Steam, like Fallout 3, does not work with all mods.

Have YOU not used Steam before?

I'll wait before I buy a Steam version if I can't get a boxed copy just to make sure.

Yes I have, thats why I ask. Some games from Steam, like Fallout 3, does not work with all mods.

I'll wait before I buy a Steam version if I can't get a boxed copy just to make sure.

I got Fallout 3 on Steam shortly after release. I followed the modding scene very closely between then and February '09. Since then I've wanted to replay Fallout 3 occasionally and looked at basically every mod on Fallout 3 Nexus over again. The only mod I remember not being supported on the Steam version was FOSE. And it ended up being supported later anyway.

I also have ArmA 1 on Steam and every mod I've used works 100%, and I can't really see why one wouldn't. The only real difference between a retail and Steam copy of a game is the exe (that being mainly copy protection stuff) I'm pretty sure, so I can't really see any problems.

I wish that ArmA 2 was coming retail to NA though, I really hate having to download games every time I reinstall.

...On a sidenote. All that steam does is download games and launch them. You can install as many mods as you want.

Edited by Johannes

I like Steam very much. I buy most my games from it. I just want to know for sure that ArmA 2 on Steam works with mods 100%

Mods and ArmA go hand in hand so it would suck :(

As long as the mods do not modify the .exe, I see no reason why they will not work.

I am waiting for the STEAM release... Im VERY glad it is on STEAM but the extra wait is frustrating.

I got Fallout 3 on Steam shortly after release. I followed the modding scene very closely between then and February '09. Since then I've wanted to replay Fallout 3 occasionally and looked at basically every mod on Fallout 3 Nexus over again. The only mod I remember not being supported on the Steam version was FOSE. And it ended up being supported later anyway.

I also have ArmA 1 on Steam and every mod I've used works 100%, and I can't really see why one wouldn't. The only real difference between a retail and Steam copy of a game is the exe (that being mainly copy protection stuff) I'm pretty sure, so I can't really see any problems.

I wish that ArmA 2 was coming retail to NA though, I really hate having to download games every time I reinstall.

Gamestop and EB games are carrying it now. I already have it pre ordered on Steam but they had their new pre order lists out last weekend and they now will carry it.

---------- Post added at 09:54 AM ---------- Previous post was at 09:38 AM ----------

Will the Steam version contain a .pdf of the manual? If not I forsee many frustrating hours learning by trial and error

Will the Steam version contain a .pdf of the manual? If not I forsee many frustrating hours learning by trial and error

Yea this game will deffo need a manual. If not thn I guess there will be scans on the net somewhere

Apologies if it has been asked before, but is it possible to register a retail copy with Steam? (like with the Valve games)