gimpymoo

ARMA2 & OA's Steam Thread: All Steam Q's/discussions go here [covered by Dwarden]

Is demo coming to steam? That would be great as it's good program to download games like this

Obviously, VALVE charge for that so it is an un-needed expense.

If you want it on STEAM, buy it on STEAM :)

I didnt know they charged to bad it would help with friends ect.

Will there be a preload available? Or will we just have to all start downloading the game at once when it comes out on friday?

I am just wondering if Steam will be releasing the demo for this game as it is the place where i download most of my games from.

I can see it is releasing the game itself as well so is a demo from them possible to make for easier (more reliable) downloading?

it's all being worked on ... please be patient ... a lil bit longer :)

it's all being worked on ... please be patient ... a lil bit longer :)

Translation:

All things which should previously have been done will now be done at the last minute or post release. :D

Are there going to be STEAM features like the ability to automatically join your friend on whatever sever he is in? Or being able to invite your friends through steam to the server you are currently in?

Official Release date in Australia is the 26th.

Steam Release date in Aus is the 30th.

:(

Just found this Valve note posted on Steam's Arma forum:

Hi Everyone,

ArmA 2 on Vista uses D3D9Ex (a special Vista only D3D9 version) on Vista by default. Because of this the Steam in-game overlay isn't currently working. You can run Arma2 with the -winxp command line option to use normal D3D9 and the overlay will work. It's my understanding that there is very little disadvantage to running with -winxp and you'll see the same graphics quality as without it, though the ArmA guys could do a better job verifying that.

We're also hoping to have a beta Steam client out later today or sometime tomorrow which will add support for D3D9Ex in our overlay. When that beta appears you should be able to opt in (File->Settings menu) and then you'll get the overlay on Vista without the -winxp command line option.

Not quite sure what this means. Does this mean that Arma II cannot be launched using the Steam client?

This means that to use the overlay in Vista you will need to use the -winxp parameter until Steam fixes the issue.

Ok guys the launcher is ready, I’m just waiting for get Steam version for adjust the steam behavior

Features:

Name. Dogs of War Arma Launch Pad

Version. 2.0

License. GNU GPL, depots and web pages feel free to re-distribute it

Release. Few days after ArmA II steam version release

OS. Tested at XP, Vista 32 and 64, MS framework updated required

Price. Everyone have to invite me a beer ohh yeah :)

*Friendly interface

*You can set it for Operation Flashpoint (the original from BIS), Armed Assault, Armed Assault 2 and Armed Assault 2 Steam version, (all in 1 launcher)

*You can manage add-ons (independent for every seted game)

*The standard add-ons are independent of sound mod (you can select all add-ons you need but only 1 mod sound at time)

*You can manage your favorite server list for launch directly as multiplayer connecting to server, and this list will show you if servers are online and ping rate

*Manage all profiles you need

*You can preset all options, add-ons, mod sound, multiplayer server, direct click common parameters (empty world, windows, skip intro) and custom parameters for all profiles

*You can see all presented option when you select any profile in the main screen, all options can be selected or unselected on the fly in the main screen before launch without save your profile changes

*Multi language supported, by default distributed on English and Spanish, just put new lang file edited on word pad on lang directory and the launcher will get it (WTF… is this necessary?)

Just found this Valve note posted on Steam's Arma forum:

Not quite sure what this means. Does this mean that Arma II cannot be launched using the Steam client?

Not at all. All they are referring to not working is what is called the "STEAM Overlay." It allows you to push a key combination in game to pull up the community/overlay features (chat, web browser, et cetera). This is very similar to the Xfire in-game overlay.

STEAM should launch the game just fine.

I've got the steam version of arma 2 pre-ordered. That list of app ids posted by someone else is a bit out of date. The app id is 33909.

Posts about a steam app can go in the steam thread, don't need two steam separate threads.

I have done the search option but it keeps bringing me vaugly to this topic, not onto any specific post, so please dont curse me.

After reading through the 1st 7-8 pages I still havent found the answer (it's been skirted around, nothing specific)

Will ArmA2 autopatch through steam...(not mods...Patching only concern)

I was hoping it would preload as with AA3 but no joy there, now I'm worried it wont autopatch which is the main reason I purchased on steam....That and In EBgame Australia it's supposedly out for late Aug release as opposed to 30 Jun on Steam

You can search the actual thread using the search function, rather than the whole forums, that said I'm not sure if it has been answered yet, Dwarden is the man to ask.

Thanks...someone stated Australia's official release was 26 Jun, just wondering where they got that as EBgames.au states late Aug release (also direct from EB employee).

The Australia STEAM release is still the 30th June. No idea on retail. Sorry.

I have done the search option but it keeps bringing me vaugly to this topic, not onto any specific post, so please dont curse me.

After reading through the 1st 7-8 pages I still havent found the answer (it's been skirted around, nothing specific)

Will ArmA2 autopatch through steam...(not mods...Patching only concern)

I was hoping it would preload as with AA3 but no joy there, now I'm worried it wont autopatch which is the main reason I purchased on steam....That and In EBgame Australia it's supposedly out for late Aug release as opposed to 30 Jun on Steam

All games on steam autopatch. I have over 50 steam game and I have never had to DL a patch manually for any of them.

Hello all,

I'm (obviously) new to the forum (long time listener) and I loved ARMA. I've been thinking of picking up A2 on Steam when it's available in NA, but I've never used Steam. I've heard from a couple of friends that it's somewhat limiting in comparison to a hard copy of a given game. Can anyone confirm the accuracy of this?

I'm willing to wait a few extra days if there are any limitations (outside of securom activations etc) on what servers you can play on, etc.

Thanks

Dwarden posted a FAQ this morning (my time) that pretty much covered all my concerns over purchasing through STEAM rather than grabbing a retail copy (patching, modding, et cetera).

http://forums.steampowered.com/forums/showthread.php?t=904059

And you can submit questions to go in the FAQ here: http://forums.steampowered.com/forums/showthread.php?t=892315

Dwarden posted a FAQ this morning (my time) that pretty much covered all my concerns over purchasing through STEAM rather than grabbing a retail copy (patching, modding, et cetera).

http://forums.steampowered.com/forums/showthread.php?t=904059

And you can submit questions to go in the FAQ here: http://forums.steampowered.com/forums/showthread.php?t=892315

Excellent, thanks for this. I think I will be d/l the Steam version. :D

Excellent, thanks for this. I think I will be d/l the Steam version. :D

No problem. :)

That's how I will be purchasing the game. Word on the street (according to the FAQ) is that the demo will release through STEAM as well.