Sign in to follow this  
funnyguy1

ARMA 2 DE 1.01 (final) Impressions - Post ALL Impressions/Videos/Screenies Here

Hmmm impressions

Went back to playing aram1 , the sound bug makes the game unplayable :-(

How do you think this game will look after some patching? To be honest, its such a awsome game with huge potensial. Some great working AI and awsome graphics, but some of it gets destroyed by super enoying bugs and not working AI sometimes. I really hope BIS manages to get rid of these problems.

Ok, here are my impressions on ArmA2, and I have to say that I am not impressed, not at all. I had the opportunity to compare the game on 2 systems, both running with ArmA2 1.01.

My own low-end PC is a dual core machine, AMD 4200+, with a GF7950GT and 3 GB of RAM.

The other system belongs to my brother, also an AMD, quadcore, with a GF295, and 4 GB of RAM.

On both systems, I tried the first scenario mission, as well as the first mission of the campaign.

My experience on the low end system: The sound is very immersive, but any graphics setting below "High" leads to a very low-res picture which is not desirable. Playing at "High" however, almost every step is accompanied by motion blur which really makes me sick. Also, there is some constant "re-focus from blur" while remaining static, akin to looking through a microscope and playing with the magnification controls.

Bottom line: Unplayable because I am prone to motion sickness.

My experience on the high end system: The graphics look stunning, even better than COD4, but there is a serious soundbug (and the audio hardware for this system has been provided by Soundblaster, which is not an obscure company I guess).Motion blur is there only for a split second, which is ok.

Each and every sound (helos and tanks, hundreds of meters away, voices from the houses, even birds and insects) is played loud like right beside your ears, and you cannot tone it down, neither in the ArmA2 menu nor in the headset controls.

Bottom line: Jawdropping visuals but ear-piercing sound effects render it annoying.

Then there's the "First Aid system": Sure, it's more realistic that way, but I had the problem on both computers, that I am rendered immobile by my injuries, my squadmates are far away or suffering from the same condition, and all what is left of the mission is the several minutes long wait for the mercy shot from the enemy.

I consider this system fundamentally flawed and I am wondering why nobody during beta testing has brought this up.

In ArmA1 you could (perhaps unrealistically) still crawl on your belly and dispatch close enemies with your shaking aim while still reaching a medic tent, if you were the team leader and your medic was still alive, you could order him to safety and crawl to him, or if the mission designer has thought about it further, there was a first aid script available.

Ok, enough about venting my anger, now I am looking for feedback about

The Motion Blur:

Does it boil down to my weak GPU? Or do you think a quadcore is needed?

The sound bug

Does anyone have similar experiences already?

The flawed First Aid system

Would the devs consider a merge of this system with the ArmA1 one? E.G. the player being able to crawl and still shoot (albeit worse than usual), with more "medics" on your squad that come to rescue if they are able to do so?

Cheers

Mathias

I dunno if this has been reported, but it's possible to report multiple enemies at the same time. :D

Btw, is it possible to make every gun held properly?

The Motion Blur:

Does it boil down to my weak GPU? Or do you think a quadcore is needed?

The sound bug

Does anyone have similar experiences already?

I have an i7 920 overclocked and I get real bad motion blur ( and makes me want to puke - I get motion sickness as well - tho arma 1 never bothers me can play for hours)

Sound bug is the exact same one I get , switching to stereo only sounds dampens it down

Does anybody here run the game on a Geforce 8800GTX 768MB? Would like to know how it performs with it (considering CPU you own too, of course...)

Thanks

Look Here

What worries me is that nothing has been said on behalf of BIS.

Then clearly you're spending too much time "internet warriorising" and not enough time looking around ;)

http://forums.bistudio.com/showthread.php?p=1291479#post1291479

* in the same time we are also finalizing an updated version of the game that should be the version to be released later next month in other territories (including North America, the official announcements coming soon)

That's already confirmation there of another patch for the German version beside 1.01

Then clearly you're spending too much time "internet warriorising" and not enough time looking around ;)

http://forums.bistudio.com/showthread.php?p=1291479#post1291479

That's already confirmation there of another patch for the German version beside 1.01

Thanks. I figured a response would be in this thread as it is where all the impressions are contained. Guess I was wrong :)

I was also hoping for a more explicit response but this will suffice. I will contain my criticism until the 505 version is released.

Maybe someone can port the benchmark mission over into ArmA2 from ArmA1 and we can get a better look at what different systems can do.. With a standard on settings would be a given though....

If no one will take up the task I may take a look at it tonight.

After playing Arma 1 quite a bit I jumped onto Arma 2 today and I'm having a lot of fun with the mission editor. Has anyone else created something that turned out really fun?

I created a simple mission based around the castle on the large hill in the North. On top of the keep was a General, in the ruins and in the surrounding land I put a few groups of infantry. I flew a 6-man unit into a close-by field, and began my ascent towards the castle through a large field with hay-bales scattered throughout. Walking my men in formation towards the forest.

All of a sudden bullets start flying towards us from the treeline, two of my men instantly go down. I realise, that the AI must of kicked in, saw my heli as we landed or perhaps my gunner on the turret pissed them off. I knew it was futile to fight, so I sent my last three men running back to the chopper, with me following. A rifleman of mine got the back of his head blown off and instantly died, and another got shot in the back. I stopped, and used the new medical module's trick of carrying him over my shoulder towards the chopper, meanwhile bullets were whizzing past. I managed to make it, put him down behind the safety of the heli and....He had a bloody bullet hole in his eye, dead. What a waste of time!

I jumped in the heli and we took off, as I looked down, I saw a long line of blood smeared right across the field, where I unknowlingly dragged a dead body. HA! :mad:

Any cool stories?

I've gotta say it's a definite improvement over ArmA and is well worth being called the succesor. The AI is great, a big leap forward compared to the old ArmA AI. They suppress pretty well! I can't get them on my own really, they're giving me a hard time while the ArmA AI are either just annoying or useless. Much better.

There are however some other issues, mainly with the features. There are some that I never expected, yet some areas that I don't understand why it hasn't been improved(optics zoom on wheeled vehicles, character holding mounted weapons properly). There's also the deal with the jump. Ok great, we can finally get around small obstacles, but why is this mapped to a whole different key? Why isn't this rather an option when you come up to an obstacle. Not the clunky menu option, but a double tap on the forward key?

All in all though I wouldn't trade it for ArmA by a long shot.

It's just better.

Not forgetting that damage system is comlpetely redone and miles better than the old green rust effect. Now we have secondary explsosions,bullet textures, tires damage and so on.

Edited by Curious

bullet textures

Really? Where? I only have black dots....

Here's a short video showing what happens when you use the Surrender Game Logic.

It seems they try to retreat when they're in trouble anyway, it's just the surrender bit that the logic enables.

Just a shame that you can't question prisoners about enemy Troop movements and such, yet. :p

Here's a short video showing what happens when you use the Surrender Game Logic.

It seems they try to retreat when they're in trouble anyway, it's just the surrender bit that the logic enables.

Just a shame that you can't question prisoners about enemy Troop movements and such, yet. :p

Hey, do you have to sync it to all players which should be able to retreat or only to their squad-leaders or else?

As for your suggestion to question about the side the prisoner is at - i would love that!

You don't need to sync it to any units/teams, you just place it in the editor and it works for all units, at least it did with that example mission.

I haven't had the player's team be forced to surrender yet, although there is a surrender animation keyboard key which plays the surrender animation, not that there'd be much to gain from the player surrendering I suppose. :D

An interesting question is raised in the comments of that video...

If a soldier surrender will it trigger a 'no enemy remains' trigger? hmm

This is a pretty cool video. Apparently (this is the first i've heard of it) there is a logic that randomly(???) throws in groups around whoever you assign it to (???).

BI could make a new gamemode with that. "Instant action" in the singleplayer menu, throws you somewhere randomly with a random squad or vehicle on random side, and gives you a random waypoint to go to. One waypoint reached and another one is assigned.